Carson Wentz already talking up Jalen Reagor, comparing him to Julio Jones

UK_EaglesFan89

Carson Wentz already talking up Jalen Reagor, comparing him to Julio Jones

We’re just two days into the Eagles’ padded practices and it’s already pretty clear that Carson Wentz and Jalen Reagor have built a strong rapport. 

It goes beyond the field. 

Because these two have been watching film together as they learn how to play with each other. Reagor said Wentz embraces that every receiver runs routes differently and he likes the way Reagor plays. 

What kind of receiver does Wentz think Reagor is? 

We watch a lot of clips with our routes and stuff like that,” Reagor said, "and he just says, ‘You’re explosive like Julio (Jones), you can run fast, you can jump high.’ So he compares me to a lot of receivers. 

"He’s just saying certain routes, certain people can’t run. He’s just like, ‘You can run those routes.’ He’s putting it up there, he’s putting it on me, he’s putting it all on me and I’m willing to get better every day and work at it.

Yes, we’re two days into real training camp and the Eagles’ 1st-round rookie has already drawn a comparison to the best receiver in football. 

Now, Reagor is 5-foot-11, 197-pound rookie and Jones is a 6-3, 220-pound seven-time Pro Bowler. So it’s not like it’s a fair comparison. But all Wentz said is that Reagor is an explosive player. Heck, that’s why the Eagles drafted him. 

And it speaks to the role Wentz is taking in the young receiver’s development, that he’s talking him up this much already. Confidence is important for any young player; they need to know they belong. 

"Confidence is me. I walk around with confidence, I have confidence,” Reagor said. "That’s natural to me. For him to see that in me, it just drives me to go harder because I don’t want to be satisfied.” 

Wentz obviously has a vested interest in Reagor’s development but the veteran quarterback has already been impressed by the rookie’s willingness to learn and desire to be great. On Monday, Wentz said he sees a bright future for Reagor and wants to help him be great.

During his first four years in the NFL, Wentz hasn’t had that No. 1 receiver to grow with. He’s had an all-time tight end, he’s had some serviceable receivers and running backs, but not a true No. 1 receiver. Think about Donovan McNabb’s career and how the Eagles never really found that stud to grow with him. 

It’s so early and we don’t know yet if Wentz has that in Reagor, but those two are off to a good start. 

"I feel like we’re gelling well,” Reagor said. "I love Carson, that’s my dude. I look forward to a long, long career with him.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/carson-wentz-jalen-reagor-training-camp-2020-julio-jones

Julio Jones? Yes please!

Leave it to the media to hear an inconsequential remark made by a rookie in his first TC and then blow it way out of proportion and run with it.  :rolleyes:

Don't need Julio......name me the last team to win a Super Bowl with the best WR in the NFL (or one of the best)........you need multiple good, not one great (see KC, although their multiple goods might be multiple greats lol)

12 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Don't need Julio......name me the last team to win a Super Bowl with the best WR in the NFL (or one of the best)........you need multiple good, not one great (see KC, although their multiple goods might be multiple greats lol)

We were a prime example of that in 2017 right. We didn't have a top WR but we spread the ball around and it means defenses don't know where to focus.

Reagor will never be on Julio's level, he isnt that type of player. And as others have mentioned, there is nothing wrong with that because we dont need him to be Julio. Do your job Jalen and everything will fall into place

3 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Get open and catch the damn ball. That's what we all hope for.

Or just catch the damn ball. I'll settle for that.