Nick Foles leaned on Doug Pederson, other Eagles during tough year in Jacksonville

Procus

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nick-foles-jaguars-eagles-bears-doug-pederson

Nick Foles leaned on Doug Pederson, other Eagles during tough year in Jacksonville

Whenever Nick Foles gets an opportunity to speak at companies or churches, people always want him to end with the Super Bowl. 

There’s just one problem. 

"While that was a blessing and that was a mountaintop experience, I always like to say,” Foles told NBC Sports Philadelphia’s John Clark in a lengthy Zoom interview on Monday, "I’m still actually in this game and this was probably one of the most challenging years of my career, if not the most challenging.” 

After signing a four-year, $88 million contract to join the Jaguars after the 2018 season, Foles lasted just one year in Jacksonville. In Week 1, he broke his collarbone and needed to get a plate put in. He eventually returned but in Week 13 was benched at halftime against the Buccaneers and was traded in March. It was a tough year professional and personally for Foles. He and his wife also lost a child through miscarriage in May. 

But Tori and Nick are expecting again and Foles is now with the Bears in Chicago, where he will be reunited with former Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo. 

Foles said a reporter during his exit interviews in Jacksonville asked him about the last time he was in a similar situation, leaving St. Louis, when Foles seriously considered retirement. Foles understood the question but this time is different. Foles said he’s "extremely excited” to continue playing after the last rough stretch. 

And his former Eagles teammates and coaches were always there to help get him through it. 

I think there’s a brotherhood,” Foles said. "There were times where I reached out to Doug (Pederson) because Doug’s someone who’s a mentor. It was nothing to do with football. He’s someone that we’ve been through it, he’s been through it. There’s times where we need advice, we just need to seek good advice.

In addition to Pederson, Foles also mentioned Eagles backup Nate Sudfeld, who is like a little brother to him. And former safety Chris Maragos; Foles and Maragos are actually working on a podcast together that will come out before next season. 

In true Foles fashion, he said last year will end up being one of his favorite seasons because of everything he went through. Foles has spoken before about highlight reels on social media and how they’re not real. Everything Foles experienced last season was real, from personal loss to injury to on-field struggles. 

"Against Tampa Bay, had a rough couple quarters and ultimately was benched and booed out of the stadium,” Foles said. "I remember those feelings and I feel every one of those emotions. But at the end of the day, I realized what was on my heart at that time was, ‘man, God, this isn’t fun, I don’t enjoy this.’ 

"Selfishly, you hope it doesn’t happen. But I’m like, you know what, this is for a purpose and I learn through it and i’ll have to endure through it. There’s no other choice but to put one foot in front of the other and endure through it to the glory of God."

• Thanks 1