Eagles reportedly bringing back veteran CB Trevor Williams

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles reportedly bringing back veteran CB Trevor Williams

The Eagles have agreed to contract terms with 26-year-old cornerback Trevor Williams, who they released last month, according to ESPN.

Adam Schefter first reported the news. 

Williams has played in 39 games, starting 27, since making the Chargers as an undrafted rookie out of Penn State in 2016. He has three career interceptions, two in 2017 and one in 2018. 

The Chargers released him last October and he was claimed by the Cards. He played in two games, on special teams only, and then was released.

The Eagles initially signed Williams on Jan. 10 and then released him on July 21 along with Keegan Render.

The Eagles will need to make a corresponding move to clear roster space for Williams, who must clear through COVID protocol before joining the Eagles at practice.

Williams joins a crowded cornerback room that includes projected starters Darius Slay and Avonte Maddox and slot corners Nickel Robey-Coleman and Cre’Von LeBlanc along with 2017 draft picks Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas, 2019 practice squad member Craig James and undrafted rookie Michael Jacquet. 

However, Jones hasn’t practiced since last Tuesday, so Williams gives the Eagles an extra set of legs at least while he’s out.

With 27 career starts, Williams instantly becomes the second-most experienced cornerback on the roster. 

Darius Slay has started 94 games, Robey-Coleman 23, Douglas 18, LeBlanc and Maddox 15 each, Jones eight and James one.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-reportedly-bringing-back-veteran-cb-trevor-williams

Just to add another corner for camp the last few days of camp?

Jones injured again (shocker!).  I don’t have any more hope he may finally put it all together.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Jones injured again (shocker!).  I don’t have any more hope he may finally put it all together.  

I've never seen a player work harder to do less in pursuit of that 4 year pension. Oh well, the Cindy Jones era will end very soon I think. 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

I've never seen a player work harder to do less in pursuit of that 4 year pension. Oh well, the Cindy Jones era will end very soon I think. 

I think it could end this summer actually. You can't carry a player who has consistently shown they can't stay healthy. You can't turn to him to provide cover if someone goes down if he's constantly hurt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can't carry a player who has consistently shown they can't stay healthy.

And the few times he is available (when healthy) the good play is far less than the questionable play we've seen from him.  

• Like 2

Sadly all the Jones hope is gone. It's unfortunate but goes to show you never know with Achilles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

Sadly all the Jones hope is gone. It's unfortunate but goes to show you never know with Achilles. 

I could be wrong and obviously there is no way to know, but I think his problem is more mental than it is physical (i.e. limited following the injury).  

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I could be wrong and obviously there is no way to know, but I think his problem is more mental than it is physical (i.e. limited following the injury).  

The NFL is not for guys with low (compared to other NFL players, anyway) pain tolerance.

The coaches are starting to say the things publicly that they usually do when they think guys aren't fighting through pain.

It's usually the end of the line.

Project top 15 pick, I wonder if he didn't tear his achilles if we would have taken him where we took Barnett...

Hurts, but hurts less than your top 15 pick being a bust. 

Everybody is speculating Jones, and it may well be the end for him here, but it also could mean Douglas and/or James haven't done enough. Again, it's too bad there won't be preseason games because training camp doesn't show you everything about a player.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What on earth was the point. 

Guessing to take snaps while Jones was sidelined with injury?  

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Guessing to take snaps while Jones was sidelined with injury?  

Should have just played JP there... 😁

Jones can't get gone fast enough. Probably one of the most disappointing draft choices we've made in a while considering he's been at a position of tremendous need and had the hype of being a top 15 caliber draft pick. When he's been healthy enough to play, which has been rare, he's been absolutely brutal.

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

Jones can't get gone fast enough. Probably one of the most disappointing draft choices we've made in a while considering he's been at a position of tremendous need and had the hype of being a top 15 caliber draft pick. When he's been healthy enough to play, which has been rare, he's been absolutely brutal.

Yes sir. As we say up here in WSU country, Huck a Fuskie.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What on earth was the point. 

Williams could be this year's Orlando Scandrick. They may have wanted to give him more work in case they need to bring him in after the season starts. They could be trying to trade one or two of the holdovers here and then bring Williams back for depth (later).

...Or he could have been a way to get through camp without risking (as much) the guys the team wants to keep.