Eagles' Doug Pederson provides intriguing update on Alshon Jeffery's status

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles' Doug Pederson provides intriguing update on Alshon Jeffery's status

Is there a chance we’ll see Alshon Jeffery playing football soon?

Doug Pederson sounded more optimistic than he has been in recent weeks when asked Wednesday morning about the veteran wide receiver’s progress.

Jeffery suffered a Lisfranc foot sprain last year in the first Giants game, underwent surgery and has been sidelined since.

It’s been 8 1/2 months since his surgery.

"He’s working extremely hard, he’s doing his on-land running, we’ve increased that,” Pederson said. "He’s looking really good, he’s feeling really good, and we’re hoping to get him out there soon with the team at some point here in the near future.”

Hey, "soon” is something.

It's just difficult to know exactly what it means.

Jeffery, 30, was limited to 10 games last year because of injuries - a calf injury early in the season and then the foot. He caught just 43 passes for 490 yards - his worst numbers since his rookie year of 2012 in Chicago.

He did have 9-for-137 and a touchdown in the loss to the Dolphins in his last full game last season. It was only his second 100-yard game in four years as an Eagle.

Jeffery is currently on the PUP list. If the Eagles don't activate him by Sept. 5, he would have to miss at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

Pederson declined to speculate on whether there’s still a chance Jeffery would start the season on PUP.

"I won’t get into those decisions right now, but I’ve been impressed with his workout, with his treatment, with his rehab, and we’ll see here in the next couple weeks,” he said. "But obviously not going to put a timetable on him or make any decisions at this time.”

In his five years with the Bears, Jeffery averaged 72 yards per game, 14th-most in the NFL.

In his three years with the Eagles, he’s averaged 54 yards per game, 44th-most in the NFL.

Jeffery has earned $35.65 million as an Eagle and is due $9.91 million this year.

With an average annual salary of $13 million per year, Jeffery is the 15th-highest-paid wide receiver in the NFL.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-doug-pederson-provides-intriguing-update-alshon-jefferys-status

Well I actually don't think that's great news. I'd much rather see how the young guys get on. I just don't think Alshon is all that good anymore.

I hope he comes back strong this season, increases his attractiveness to other teams, and is traded in the next off season for fair compensation.

29 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I hope he comes back strong this season, increases his attractiveness to other teams, and is traded in the next off season for fair compensation.

I mean yeah that would be a good win... But what about the young receivers in the meantime? Somebody misses out. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah that would be a good win... But what about the young receivers in the meantime? Somebody misses out. 

Maybe not. A skill position player coming back from surgery rarely goes immediately with a full work load even if cleared to do so. I think the young guys will still get real reps for development.

25 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Maybe not. A skill position player coming back from surgery rarely goes immediately with a full work load even if cleared to do so. I think the young guys will still get real reps for development.

I hope so because actually I think the WRs have been a real positive so far for this team in TC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Misses out on what? You play your best players. The young guys compete to get better and try to win jobs. How did handing starting jobs to Hollins and JJAW work out last year? Who missed out? The Eagles, Wentz, the fans ...

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Misses out on what? You play your best players. The young guys compete to get better and try to win jobs. How did handing starting jobs to Hollins and JJAW work out last year? Who missed out? The Eagles, Wentz, the fans ...

How were Hollins and JJAW handed starting roles last season? They were FORCED into starting roles due to injury. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think it's that cut and dry this year. I don't think this team is ready to go compete. Now it could be like a 2017 scenario where they surprise everyone but I don't think this team is ready to contend. 

Why in the world aren't they ready to contend?  Geez, they got into the playoffs with a devastated roster and they've had a good off season with a load of guys coming back off IR.

The only thing that keeps them from going deep into the playoffs are these f------ injuries they get every year.

The eagles don't get a lot of hype and they have to deal with the idiotic philly media, but they have a load of talent.....young and old.  And, like EVERY NFL team, some questions about how certain units will perform.  

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Why in the world aren't they ready to contend?  Geez, they got into the playoffs with a devastated roster and they've had a good off season with a load of guys coming back off IR.

The only thing that keeps them from going deep into the playoffs are these f------ injuries they get every year.

The eagles don't get a lot of hype and they have to deal with the idiotic philly media, but they have a load of talent.....young and old.  And, like EVERY NFL team, some questions about how certain units will perform.  

Why aren't they ready? Umm other than major question marks at key positions? In addition to injuries. 

The top RG was already out for the year. The LT is now out for the year before the season even starts. Our starting DE and new FA DT is out for multiple weeks. Our stud RB is week to week. 

Major question marks remain at WR where the surest bet is a 30+ year old speed receiver who doesn't play 16 game seasons. Oh and our LB core is a joke. Oh and our secondary? Yeah that has major question marks. 

And all of that before factoring in COVID?

8 hours ago, nipples said:

How were Hollins and JJAW handed starting roles last season? They were FORCED into starting roles due to injury. 

Obviously when someone gets hurt, you hand the job / role / responsibility to the next guy up. Don't get caught up in semantics here. The point I was making is: you play the best players. You don't put in lesser players simply to develop them when a better player is available. Last year was proof that playing time doesn't always mean growth. If injuries happen, then opportunity follows, but until then, inexperienced players had better be preparing for that moment and trying to push the better players in practice.