Good news for Eagles' lineman Genard Avery after scary practice injury

UK_EaglesFan89

Good news for Eagles' lineman Genard Avery after scary practice injury

Defensive end Genard Avery, who was carted off the practice field in tears Wednesday with a scary-looking right knee or leg injury, was apparently not seriously hurt.

The Eagles on Thursday morning listed Avery as day-to-day with a lower-body injury, which generally means he’s expected to be back at practice in less than a week.

Avery, who the Eagles acquired from the Browns in a trade-deadline deal for a 4th-round pick, did not practice on Thursday, and the Eagles are off on Friday.

Another edge rusher, Joe Ostman, who has enjoyed a very good training camp, was also out Thursday with a lower-body injury.

With Avery, Ostman and Derek Barnett out, the Eagles had Brandon Graham, Josh Sweat, Vinny Curry, Shareef Miller, Casey Toohill and non-roster invitee Matt Leo at defensive end on Thursday.  

Left tackle Andre Dillard, who left practice early Sunday with an upper-body injury and then returned to practice on Tuesday, came out for warm-ups Thursday but did not participate in team drills and went inside before practiced ended.

Lane Johnson remains out with a lower-body injury. He hasn’t practiced since last Friday. And 38-year-old Jason Peters sat out Thursday as a planned maintenance day.

Jordan Mailata did return to practice after missing two days and was taking reps at left tackle in place of Dillard. Matt Pryor was taking reps at right tackle, so with Peters out Nate Herbig was getting reps with the first unit at right guard.

Running back Miles Sanders (lower body) and Barnett (ankle) are listed as "week-to-week” and defensive tackle Javon Hargrave (upper body) is out for "multiple weeks,” according to the Eagles.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/good-news-eagles-lineman-genard-avery-after-scary-practice-injury

Good news for Avery. But is he making the roster?

4 hours ago, weko said:

We sure could use a vet interior O lineman

I don’t think so.  I think Pryor is a pretty safe choice (and who knows how some of the newer additions will work at RG).  It will be interesting to see how the competition plays out now assuming JP is back at LT.    

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I don’t think so.  I think Pryor is a pretty safe choice (and who knows how some of the newer additions will work at RG).  It will be interesting to see how the competition plays out now assuming JP is back at LT.    

If Peters goes down I move Sem to LT.  We don't have 1 experienced back up lineman.  I think we have to get one inside.  Older interior linemen are almost always available.  A 5 or 6 might do it.  A 4 definitely would.  Maybe we could trade a player for one, someone we don't want like Jones or Douglas.  Maybe Ostman if he's not going to get reps here and they really like the 7th round DE.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, time2rock said:

As one of the reporters pointed out... if your starters are Peters / Seumalo / Kelce / Pryor / Johnson then all the rest of the OL that are currently on the roster have combined for 3 SNAPS in the NFL. Snaps, not games.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 11:57 AM, Ross said:

As one of the reporters pointed out... if your starters are Peters / Seumalo / Kelce / Pryor / Johnson then all the rest of the OL that are currently on the roster have combined for 3 SNAPS in the NFL. Snaps, not games.

It is a worry there's no doubt. We know Peters misses snaps. We know Kelce tends to play through all kinds of injuries but at what point is it even too much for him? Johnson has missed practices this summer due to injury. It's a major concern.