Eagles training camp 2020 observations Day 10: DeSean Jackson vs. Darius Slay

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles training camp 2020 observations Day 10: DeSean Jackson vs. Darius Slay

Several NFL teams decided to cancel practice on Thursday to hold discussions on topics of social injustice but the Eagles held their practice as scheduled at 10:30 a.m. p

On Wednesday night, Doug Pederson led their team meeting with the topic after the NBA and other major sports postponed games in the wake of the Jacob Blake shooting in Wisconsin. Pederson also canceled the rest of the evening’s meetings for his team to continue the discussion. Those conversations will continue. 

But on the field at the NovaCare Complex, it was pretty much business as usual. The Eagles held their 10th training camp practice since the pads went on. They’ll have an off day Friday. 

I got through the temperature check with a 97.7 today despite the heat. 

Let’s get to the obs: 

1. There was a really fun battle going on Thursday: DeSean Jackson vs. Darius Slay. 

During 7-on-7s, Jackson was able to sneak behind Slay and caught a 40-yard bomb from Carson Wentz for a touchdown. But a little later, Wentz tried a deep ball down the right sideline that fell incomplete. Slay was with Jackson every step of the way and knocked the ball away at the last second. Great coverage. 

2. I don’t know if Jackson will be able to stay healthy in 2020, but even at 33 he definitely doesn’t look like he’s lost a step. He’s still lightning quick. Aside from the deep ball, he also caught a short pass and then took off with a lot of YAC. 

And Jackson is also still an elite tracker of the football. It’s pretty amazing to watch him do it. 

3. The Eagles were without Lane Johnson at practice today and then Andre Dillard left early, so a little light at offensive line. 

A couple injuries on the DL to update too: 

4. The Eagles were without Johnson and Dillard and Jason Peters had a scheduled maintenance day so they were without three starters on the line. 

Here’s how they lined up: Jordan Mailata, Isaac Seumalo, Jason Kelce, Nate Herbig, Matt Pryor 

5. Zach Ertz made a fantastic catch during an 11-on-11 period of practice. Wentz threw a rocket but it was behind Ertz, who reached back with one hand and snagged it.  

6. Deontay Burnett made the play of the day, which is something he’s done a few times during this camp. On Thursday, he leaped up near the sideline and grabbed a ball out of midair over Cre’Von LeBlanc. Burnett has had a really good camp and probably deserves to make the roster, but a numbers crunch at his position will make it tough.  

7. John Hightower had another "wow” play. The rookie caught a touchdown pass over Craig James in the end zone on a pass from Sudfeld. It might have been a slight pushoff from Hightower but I didn’t see a flag. 

8. The first teams were still in "thud” periods all practice but the backups had a few live, tackling-to-the-ground, periods at the goal line. Michael Warren was able to get a touchdown and then Elijah Holyfield punched on it too. After Holyfield’s touchdown, he spiked the ball. 

9. Greg Ward Jr. is a former college quarterback and he got to show that off today. We’ve seen them work this stuff in practices last year but Ward threw his first pass of this summer today. 

10. Jordan Mailata returned to practice on Thursday and had an OK day. He wasn’t perfect but I thought he battled and held his own at times. Still, him going against Brandon Graham didn’t go well. 

11. Boston Scott was dealing with an injury earlier in camp but he looks healthy now. He showed a mid-season burst through the line today. 

12. Rookie 7th-round pick Casey Toohill picked up a few sacks, including one on fellow rookie Prince Tega Wanogho. Toohill showed great bend to get under Tega. Coming into this camp, I thought Toohill was a long shot to make the roster. I no longer think that. 

13. The Eagles tried to run a little end around to Ward but it didn’t fool T.J. Edwards. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Super instinctive player and that makes up for his lack of pure speed.  

14. A couple Jalen Reagor updates: 

- He continues to make catches in tight space. That could be a big part of his game as a rookie. 

- And Reagor was also working as a kick returner today. He had previously done a lot of punt return work. While Reagor returned 23 punts at TCU, he returned 13 kicks and could be used in either way this season. His special teams workload will depend on how many offensive snaps he’s getting. 

15. I thought Wentz had a more consistent day today than he did on Wednesday. There were still a couple overthrows, but he seemed to be more accurate overall. 

Stupid Observation of the Day: The defense loves to hit rookie running back Adrian Killins Jr., who is listed at 177 pounds. It seems like all the defenders love to hit him and watch him fly. He even got clotheslined today. Poor kid.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2020-observations-day-10-desean-jackson-vs-darius-slay

I'm getting a tad excited reading the reports on DJax.  I sure hope he manages to stay healthy this season.  Even at 33, he is still a difference-maker.  

On 8/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, time2rock said:

I'm getting a tad excited reading the reports on DJax.  I sure hope he manages to stay healthy this season.  Even at 33, he is still a difference-maker.  

There's no doubt about that bud. He's still a really good receiver and a difference maker. If he can stay healthy then he's going to add so much to this offense. 

• Like 1