Need for wide receiver is obvious but Eagles keep options open

Procus

https://www.fox29.com/sports/need-for-wide-receiver-is-obvious-but-eagles-keep-options-open

Need for wide receiver is obvious but Eagles keep options open

By Rob Maaddi
Published 10 hours ago

GETTY-Howie-Roseman-Doug-Pederson.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

General manager Howie Roseman of the Philadelphia Eagles and head coach Doug Pederson look on prior to the preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Lincoln Financial Field on August 9, 2018 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell L

PHILADELPHIA - The need for a wide receiver is obvious and the talent level at the position in next week’s NFL draft is deep. So the expectation is the Philadelphia Eagles will select a guy to catch Carson Wentz’s passes in the first round.

Or, will they?

"You don’t want to get in a situation where you force things,” personnel boss Howie Roseman said Thursday. "Obviously, it’s human nature when you see a hole on your roster or a position you want to upgrade to feel like you are going to use this opportunity to do just that. But you don’t want to compound the problem by making a pick that doesn’t really help and I think we’ve shown that after the draft there’s going to be opportunities to improve our team, whether it’s in May, August or in the season. We don’t look at the draft as the last opportunity to improve our team.”

The Eagles have eight picks after trading a pair to Detroit to get three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Darius Slay. They have the 21st overall pick, one in the second round (No. 53), one in the third (No. 103) and three more in the fourth.

Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb, Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III, LSU’s Justin Jefferson, TCU’s Jalen Reagor and Clemson’s Tee Higgins are projected to go in the first round. Baylor’s Denzil Mims and Arizona State’s Brandon Aiyuk are potential first-rounders or early second. Colorado’s Laviska Shenault Jr. and Penn State’s KJ Hamler are also second-round projections.

Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs III won’t be there at No. 21, so Philadelphia would have to trade up.

Roseman is among the most active league executives, moving up or trading down.

"I think we just kind of look at the value of the player, where the board drops off,” he said. "If we see a big gap and there’s a big drop-off, then we’ll look at that. If we feel like there’s a group of guys that we really like, that we can choose from, then we’ll probably stay put or move back.”

The Eagles had major issues at receiver last season when DeSean Jackson, Alshon Jeffery and Nelson Agholor combined to miss 24 games. Second-round pick J.J. Arcega-Whiteside stayed healthy but struggled mightily to produce as a rookie, catching 10 passes. Greg Ward came off the practice squad and ended up the team’s most reliable wideout down the stretch as Philadelphia won the NFC East.

Agholor is gone. Jackson is 33 and coming off surgery for a core muscle injury that limited him to one full game. Jeffery is 30 and coming off surgery for a Lisfranc fracture suffered in December. Plus, he had issues in the locker room.

"We don’t want to get ahead of ourselves, and say just because there’s a perceived position of strength, that that’s where we are going to choose from,” Roseman said.

If the Eagles pass on receiver in the first round, they could choose an edge rusher, a position Roseman has always valued. Four of his eight first-round picks have been defensive linemen. The team also has needs in the secondary and linebacker. Philadelphia hasn’t selected a linebacker in the first round since Jerry Robinson with the 21st pick in 1979.

RUSHING THE QB

The Eagles traded up in 2017 to select defensive end Derek Barnett at No. 14. Barnett played a key role his rookie season when the Eagles won the Super Bowl and had a career-high six sacks last year. Veteran Brandon Graham starts on the opposite side. He had 8 1/2 sacks last season. The Eagles like to rotate their ends and also have Josh Sweat, Shareef Miller and Genard Avery. If they pursue a pass rusher in the first round, LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson, Penn State’s Yetur Gross-Matos and Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa are possibilities.

IGNORED POSITION

The Eagles could buck their long trend and take Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray or LSU’s Patrick Queen at No. 21. Philadelphia released Nigel Bradham, the team’s best linebacker for the past several seasons. Kamu-Grugier-Hill, who started six games last year, signed with Miami. Nate Gerry is a returning starter, Jatavis Brown was signed from the Chargers, and T.J. Edwards, Alex Singleton and Duke Riley are in the mix. Queen or Murray would be a significant upgrade.

REVAMPED SECONDARY

A defensive back isn’t a pressing need in the first round after the trade for Slay. Safety Will Parks and cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman signed in free agency and Jalen Mills is returning and moving to safety to replace Malcolm Jenkins. Cornerback Ronald Darby is also gone.

TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney, Alabama safety Xavier McKinney and LSU safety Grant Delpit are possible options at No. 21.

They don't have a choice. They don't have options. They have to bring in 2 WRs, 1 has to be first round and they have to hit on both. No excuses. No failures. If they do then this team is heading for another 9-7 season with the need for others in our division to let us in to the play offs. 

This is an offense led league and this offense sucks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They don't have a choice. They don't have options. They have to bring in 2 WRs, 1 has to be first round and they have to hit on both. No excuses. No failures. If they do then this team is heading for another 9-7 season with the need for others in our division to let us in to the play offs. 

This is an offense led league and this offense sucks.

100%.  I remember the 1990 draft - 3 WRs were drafted.  The WR drafted in the highest round, Mike Bellamy in the 2nd round,- made the least impact.  "Arkansas" Fred Barnett drafted in the 3rd starred for several years with the team and Calvin Williams drafted in the 5th round also had a nice career with the team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Procus said:

100%.  I remember the 1990 draft - 3 WRs were drafted.  The WR drafted in the highest round, Mike Bellamy in the 2nd round,- made the least impact.  "Arkansas" Fred Barnett drafted in the 3rd starred for several years with the team and Calvin Williams drafted in the 5th round also had a nice career with the team. 

Yeah Roob was talking about that on a recent podcast actually about how he thought Bellamy was the steal of the draft but he really didn't ever work out.

But yeah this team has no choice. For me Howie has backed himself in to a corner and has to take a WR at #21. If we could guarantee, or even have a very high level of confidence, that one of those second tier WRs would be there at #53 then I could perhaps accept that... But we can't have a high level of confidence. 4 WRs likely go before us in the first and another 2-4 could go after us in the first! Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to then get all the way to #53. This is Howie's doing.

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah Roob was talking about that on a recent podcast actually about how he thought Bellamy was the steal of the draft but he really didn't ever work out.

But yeah this team has no choice. For me Howie has backed himself in to a corner and has to take a WR at #21. If we could guarantee, or even have a very high level of confidence, that one of those second tier WRs would be there at #53 then I could perhaps accept that... But we can't have a high level of confidence. 4 WRs likely go before us in the first and another 2-4 could go after us in the first! Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to then get all the way to #53. This is Howie's doing.

I don't think the necessarily has to take a receiver in the 1st round.  The Eagles have had their share of first round busts.  Kenny Jackson - number 4 overall, Freddie Mitchell, Nelson Agholor were all 1st round picks that didn't live up to their potential.  Mike Quick was a star for several years (although the guy Vermeil wanted to draft - Perry Tuttle - who Buffalo jumped in front of the Eagles to draft - was a dud) and Jeremy Maclin had a few good years.

Receivers are funny types of players.  You can hit on gems in later rounds.  Harold Carmichael was drafted in the 7th round and he had a Hall of Fame career.

• Like 1

Well luckily there are 5 WRs in this draft that I’d be happy with at 21. Lamb and Jeudy aren’t happening at 21. Ruggs probably not happening but small chance he falls. Then there is Reagor and Jefferson, both of which I would be fine with (Reagor being the preference). If things got crazy and both of those guys also went before 21, I could be talked into Mims at 21 as well. 

That said, if somehow Lamb is sitting there around 14... Howie needs to go up and get him. 

Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs III won’t be there at No. 21, so Philadelphia would have to trade up.

While that seems likely, it can't be said with 100% certainty (as Maaddi did).  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Procus said:

I don't think the necessarily has to take a receiver in the 1st round.  The Eagles have had their share of first round busts.  Kenny Jackson - number 4 overall, Freddie Mitchell, Nelson Agholor were all 1st round picks that didn't live up to their potential.  Mike Quick was a star for several years (although the guy Vermeil wanted to draft - Perry Tuttle - who Buffalo jumped in front of the Eagles to draft - was a dud) and Jeremy Maclin had a few good years.

Receivers are funny types of players.  You can hit on gems in later rounds.  Harold Carmichael was drafted in the 7th round and he had a Hall of Fame career.

Yeah agreed - I think more likely than not we take a receiver in the first, but we have to see how the board falls. 

Have to be smart about this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed - I think more likely than not we take a receiver in the first, but we have to see how the board falls. 

Have to be smart about this.

I really don't think they've given themselves a choice. Not the way the board is likely to fall and given their desperate need. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really don't think they've given themselves a choice. Not the way the board is likely to fall and given their desperate need. 

First of all good to argue with you on WRs on the other side my friend!

i actually think they will draft a receiver. I could see a small trade up if any of the top 4 drop. 

But if the top 4 go/and or they don’t think Jefferson is the guy, then I think they probably need to take somebody on D or trade back.

I know we both love Reagor, but I don’t see the Eagles taking him at 21.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But if the top 4 go/and or they don’t think Jefferson is the guy, then I think they probably need to take somebody on D or trade back.

I know we both love Reagor, but I don’t see the Eagles taking him at 21.

They can't trade back bud. It's way too risky. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They can't trade back bud. It's way too risky. 

Lol - I think they can. Will you be up for the draft my friend? Doing a feed?