Eagles injury update: Jalen Reagor expected to miss start of season with shoulder injury

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles injury update: Jalen Reagor expected to miss start of season with shoulder injury

Jalen Reagor, the Eagles’ first-round wide receiver, is expected to miss the start of his rookie season with a shoulder injury, NBC Sports Philadelphia’s John Clark reported Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles expect Reagor to miss "three or four weeks,” but won't need surgery, according to Clark. The Eagles open the season in Washington in 14 days and then face the Rams at home on Sept. 20 and the Bengals at home on Sept. 27.

So based on that estimate, the Eagles would be hopeful to get Reagor back in time for the Cincinnati game in Week 3.

Reagor, who has been having an impressive rookie training camp, left practice at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday with a trainer. He got hurt while trying to tackle Avonte Maddox after Maddox intercepted a pass by Jalen Hurts. 

With Reagor out, the Eagles will likely use second-year-pro JJ Arcega-Whiteside as their second outside receiver alongside 33-year-old DeSean Jackson with Greg Ward in the slot.  

Rookie John Hightower, who has had a very good camp, could also be in the mix as an outside receiver.

With Alshon Jeffery out as he rehabs last year’s foot injury and Quez Watkins day-to-day with a lower-body injury, the Eagles currently have Deontay Burnett, Marcus Green, Manasseh Bailey and Travis Fulgham at receiver along with Jackson, JJAW, Ward and Hightower.

If Reagor does wind up missing regular-season games, the Eagles might have to carry an extra receiver on the 53-man roster until he comes back. Of the second group of guys, Burnett has had the best camp.

The Eagles drafted Reagor out of TCU with the 21st pick overall in April, and he’s looked confident and productive during the two weeks of training camp and has gotten plenty of reps with the first offense.

With Andre Dillard out for the year with a biceps injury, Derek Barnett out indefinitely with an ankle, Carson Wentz out Sunday with a soft tissue injury, Nelson Agholor in Las Vegas, Marcus Smith long gone and Lane Johnson out for over a week now with a lower-body injury, the Eagles practiced Sunday without their last seven first-round draft picks.

Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox, drafted in 2010 and 2012, were their only first-round picks on the field by the end of practice Sunday.

Where have we heard that it doesn't seem like it needs surgery before? 

46 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

And the hits just keep on coming.

Its just ridiculous isn't it. What the hell does this team need to do to turn this around?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Its just ridiculous isn't it. What the hell does this team need to do to turn this around?

I don't know. Injuries are part of the sport. Watching so many of them go down before week 1 is a little discouraging though. 

10 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I don't know. Injuries are part of the sport. Watching so many of them go down before week 1 is a little discouraging though. 

Injuries are but this team suffer way more than others. And as you say this is before things even start! 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Injuries are but this team suffer way more than others. And as you say this is before things even start! 

I think a large part of the problem is that the Front Office does not prioritize physicality and toughness in player evals as much as they should. They prioritize finesse skills ala every 1st rounder they've taken under Howie. The last physically strong and tough player they selected in the 1st round was Cox and that was under Reid. Every other tough guy was a FA or a trade to make up for bad drafting.

I've surrendered to the idea that Howie will stay in the soft PAC-12 or the almost as soft Mountain West conferences for his selections, and when he goes outside of that conference, he'll select the same type of player...skilled but soft. If he ever hits on a tough guy who has elite skills, it'll be by accident, not by design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

They prioritize finesse skills ala every 1st rounder they've taken under Howie

I'd consider Reagor to be a physical player though? He isn't the tallest but he's physical. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd consider Reagor to be a physical player though? He isn't the tallest but he's physical. 

There was a more physical carbon copy of him available in the 3rd round (slightly less agile to be fair) and Reagor is injured is he not?

I'm starting to worry that simply being a fan of this team puts me at greater risk of injury. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Reagor, who has been having an impressive rookie training camp, left practice at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday with a trainer. He got hurt while trying to tackle Avonte Maddox after Maddox intercepted a pass by Jalen Hurts. 

Well that's just bad coaching

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Where have we heard that it doesn't seem like it needs surgery before? 

If my recollection is correct DeSean and Jalen aren't exactly the same. I remember that the Eagles recommended surgery to DeSean, DeSean chose to go the rehab route - not that I blame him, who wants to get cut on. The Eagles are not recommending surgery in Jalen's case. It still sucks, I was looking forward to seeing the WR rooks in an actual no-kidding game.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean why on earth is he doing that!

I sure hope our players would try to make a tackle on an opposing player that just picked off our QB.  And to get good at tackling, you need to practice it.  It is just unfortunate, that's all (not bad coaching).  

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I sure hope our players would try to make a tackle on an opposing player that just picked off our QB.  And to get good at tackling, you need to practice it.  It is just unfortunate, that's all (not bad coaching).  

In practice though? I mean I guess yeah to improve at things you've got to do them on a regular basis but still...

On 8/31/2020 at 6:40 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Isn’t it obvious? Lurie made a deal with the devil for that super bowl.  Now we are still repaying. 

Worth it. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 7:39 AM, 20dawk4life said:

Well that's just bad coaching

No it isn’t. I want our guys to have that drive. It should be instinct to go tackle the dude on an interception. 

7 minutes ago, nipples said:

No it isn’t. I want our guys to have that drive. It should be instinct to go tackle the dude on an interception. 

Whistle needs to be blown quickly. You don’t want your guys injured on a practice play that results in 0 points for another team. Smack the ball, wrap up, but there shouldn’t be any tackling from a wr. 

28 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Whistle needs to be blown quickly. You don’t want your guys injured on a practice play that results in 0 points for another team. Smack the ball, wrap up, but there shouldn’t be any tackling from a wr. 

Well I disagree. These guys need to be getting into game shape and knocking rust off in practice. There is no preseason to do that this year. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Well I disagree. These guys need to be getting into game shape and knocking rust off in practice. There is no preseason to do that this year. 

Well I don’t need my WRs practicing tackling. So yea definitely disagree. 

I hurt my throat swallowing mini-wheats too quickly this morning. Eagles medical staff says I'm out three to six weeks. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Well I don’t need my WRs practicing tackling. So yea definitely disagree. 

My point is there is NO preseason, so they need to almost treat these practices as game situation. You can never really fully simulate a game, but I think they’re doing the best they can if they at least play everything out until the play is over. The ONLY thing they shouldn’t be treating like a real game in these practices is letting the QB get hit.