Report: “There is a chance” that Alshon Jeffery will play in September

UK_EaglesFan89

Report: "There is a chance” that Alshon Jeffery will play in September

Oh?

The Philadelphia Eagles have been reluctant to offer a timetable on Alshon Jeffery’s recovery from a Lisfranc injury but we might finally have an idea of when he’ll be back.

"There is a chance” that Jeffery will be able to play in September, according to a report from NBC Sports Philadelphia’s John Clark.

Now, the phrase "there is a chance” is hardly definitive. And "September” is fairly vague here as well. I would assume Clark means towards the end of the month since Jeffery is not yet even a full nine months removed from first suffering such a serious foot injury on December 9, 2019.

Still, Jeffery potentially being able to play in September means the Eagles might not start him out on the reserve/physically unable to perform list after all. The Eagles might opt to instead place him on injured reserve (though he’d need to be on the original 53-man roster), where he’ll be eligible to be activated after missing three games (as opposed to six on PUP). He wouldn’t be able to play until October 4 at the earliest in that scenario.

Or the Eagles could just keep him on the 53-man roster while knowing he’ll miss a couple games. This is the route they took when Jeffery had to miss a few games early during the 2018 season.

The feeling here is the Eagles should be in no rush to rush Jeffery back on the field. He’s coming off a significant injury and the worst season of his career as a full-time starter. In addition, the Eagles’ young wide receivers have shown promise in training camp. They have seven players at that position deserving to make the roster outside of Jeffery. Those players also figure to be around for the long-term while Jeffery is likely a goner after 2020. Activating Jeffery makes more sense if the Eagles are really banged up at the position and/or the young guys are struggling.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Eagles handle Jeffery’s return. He’s been limited to standing on the sidelines in training camp practice but Doug Pederson seems encouraged by his progress behind the scenes.

Q. I know you’re not putting a timeline on WR Alshon Jeffery, but could you give us an update on what he’s able to do physically at this point, and is PUP in play for the season or is that not a consideration?

DOUG PEDERSON: Yeah, obviously won’t get into those decisions right now, but he’s working extremely hard. He’s doing his on-land running. We’ve increased that. He’s looking really good. He’s feeling really good. And we’re hoping to get him out there soon with the team at some point here in the near future. I’ve been impressed with his workout, with his treatment, with his rehab, and we’ll see here in the next couple of weeks, but obviously as you mentioned, not going to put a timetable on him or make any decisions at this time.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/8/30/21407871/alshon-jeffery-injury-eagles-nfl-news-update-philadelphia-fantasy-football-pup-wide-receiver-report

I've said it before and I still stand by it... I don't think this is good news. I'd much rather see what we have in the young guys. And with Alshon potentially starting the season on the active roster that's one less place for one of those young receivers. 

I completely agree that there should be no rush to get him on the field.  The best outcome is him returning to FULL health and potentially be able to find a trade partner to take on the rest of his contract, whether by the trade deadline this season or during the next offseason.  Rushing him on to the field too early only risks re-injury and the chances to trade him.  Give the younger WRs the reps - playing them now will only expedite their development.  

Just now, PoconoDon said:

The end of October is my expectation.

And if that's the case then he needs to start the year on PUP.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And if that's the case then he needs to start the year on PUP.

Yeah. The last week before the mandatory IR cutoff is when I expect him to be activated in a part time role. I think it's week 8 unless there's a Corona virus caveat.

• Like 1

I think they activate him in Oct to try and trade him. If no buyers by the deadline, he goes on IR a week after and is cut in the offseason. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think they activate him in Oct to try and trade him. If no buyers by the deadline, he goes on IR a week after and is cut in the offseason. 

If they are building for the future then I think that's the right approach. 

• 2 weeks later...