Doug Pederson: Jason Peters is staying at right guard, Matt Pryor headed left

UK_EaglesFan89

Doug Pederson: Jason Peters is staying at right guard, Matt Pryor headed left

Welcome to the Matt Pryor era. 

Doug Pederson on Tuesday would not confirm or deny a published report that Jason Peters is refusing to play left tackle without a contract restructure but did strongly state that Peters will not be moving to left tackle, where he’s earned nine Pro Bowls.

Pederson said, "I don’t know where some of these reports are coming from.” But he did not deny them.

And he could not have been clearer: "We’re not moving him to left tackle.”

Pederson also indicated that Pryor - a 2019 6th-round pick who’s never started a regular-season game - would be the Eagles’ opening-day left tackle. 

"Matt Pryor is a guy that once he gets all the work during the week is a solid guard or tackle, he’s proven that in the past for us,” Pederson said. "And he’ll settle in over there at the left side and we’ll be fine.”

Pryor finished the first Seattle game last year and started the second Seattle game at right guard. He's played 108 career snaps, all at right guard.

Tuesday afternoon was Pederson’s first media availability since the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane reported that Peters told the Eagles he wouldn’t play left tackle without a raise.

The Eagles re-signed Peters last month to play right guard after Brandon Brooks’ Achilles injury, but left tackle opened up when Andre Dillard suffered a season-ending of his own.

Why not move J.P. to the position where he made the NFL’s all-decade team and is a likely Hall of Famer?

"Jason Peters for us has done an outstanding job at right guard,” Pederson said. "He’s comfortable at right guard, we have some options at left tackle that we’re working through over there.”

This is a very difficult spot for Pederson. He isn’t involved in contract talks with players, but he’s the one who has to answer these questions.

The fact that Peters is remaining at right guard - where he’s never played - and Pryor continues to take 1st-team reps at left tackle - where he’s never played - creates a precarious situation for the Eagles’ offensive line with opening day 12 days away.

Asked whether it undermines Pederson’s authority when a player refuses to play a specific position, Pederson said:

"It doesn’t undermine anything. Jason has really embraced a new role for him, he’s done it well, he’s playing at a high level in what we’ve asked him to do there and he’s comfortable. So as you guys know, it’s hard to disrupt too many positions with that offensive line, and we’ve got a few more days here before we really get into regular-season week to find out who that left tackle will be, but we’ve got some options over there.”

Asked whether he’s confident Peters would move to left tackle if the coaches asked him to, Pederson paused and then declined to answer. 

"To me that would be a private conversation, one between me and Jason, and I probably wouldn’t reveal that to you guys," he said.

So for now, your Eagles offensive line left to right is Pryor, Isaac Seumalo, Jason Kelce, Peters and Lane Johnson.

"He’s come in here and done a great job for us at right guard, he’s solidified that right guard, he’s worked well with Lane when Lane’s been out there, he’s working great with Kelce, Kelce has a comfort level there with him,” Pederson said of Peters. "The thing is if we end up moving too many spots, especially this late in camp, it can disrupt some timing up front. Those guys need to be in sync, so for us to go out and put our best five up there that’s the plan, that’s where we’re going, that’s where we’re headed, and we’re going to get them all ready to play. "

For the record, Peters and Johnson haven’t practiced together since Aug. 21 and have had only four days of practice together.

As for Pryor, he got most of the 1st-team reps at left tackle during Sunday’s scrimmage at the Linc and got beat for numerous sacks by Josh Sweat, one of the Eagles’ backup edge rushers.

Pederson said that doesn’t worry him.

"I don’t make too much of it,” he said. "Pryor has been working right guard and right tackle. I believe this might have been the first time that he’s really had extensive left tackle work without any preparation or practice time so it’s a great example of why you don’t just move guys around at the spur of the moment.”

Pederson said Jordan Mailata, who’s never taken a regular-season snap, will also get some work at left tackle during the Eagles’ Tuesday afternoon practice.

What about moving Johnson from right tackle to left tackle and going with Pryor or Mailata at right tackle, which is a lower-leverage spot?

"If you did that, who are you putting at right tackle?" he said. "You can put (Jack) Driscoll over there, you can put Pryor over there, you can put Mailata over there. There are so many moving parts. That’s why it’s so important for us as a team moving forward that we keep guys in their spots, work at their spots and we figure out one position as opposed to figuring out two or three. We’ve had these conversations in the past with Lane, but Lane’s our right tackle and he’s comfortable there.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/doug-pederson-jason-peters-staying-right-guard-matt-pryor-headed-left

Anyone buying that? I'm not. 

Not buying it either.  Doug just loves trolling the media.  JP player LT here for 11 years.  Pryor has only played RG (minimally in live game action) here.  It only makes sense to have them both playing their natural positions and figure out the compensation.  I would think the health of the franchise QB is of the utmost importance.  

Doug is in a bad spot in the middle without any control.  Years of substandard drafting, ignoring the Oline while wasting premium picks on players at other positions who can't play, are drafted to be back ups or developmental picks, and are now coming home to roost on the Oline.  Bruised ego complicates.  I am worried for Carson's health in the short term.  The thought of him making it through a 16 game season with Pryor or Mailata at LT is something I think has a low probability.  Our LT play has been bad to terrible this pre season and we're looking at much better RDEs on other teams than we have here, and our DEs have destroyed Mailata & Pryor. 

We need to acquire or sign a FA OT right away.  Howie is stalling for whatever reason.  He has overspent on the cap, which used to be his area of expertise.  Now he needs to act but he doesn't have the cap space for a top tier player.  At least he should sign a vet out of the bargain basement bin.  That would probably be better than anyone on the roster with the exception of Peters, but at 38 we don't know if he has anything left either.  We really needed the 1st rounder to be at least competent.  Unfortunately he isn't so we need to bring in someone with experience ASAP.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Not buying it either.  Doug just loves trolling the media.  JP player LT here for 11 years.  Pryor has only played RG (minimally in live game action) here.  It only makes sense to have them both playing their natural positions and figure out the compensation.  I would think the health of the franchise QB is of the utmost importance.  

Lane’s played the left side before and is far and away the best Tackle on the team. I prefer him on the right side but If it’s a choice of watching Carson get hurt, I’d rather have Lane protecting his blind side. 

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Lane’s played the left side before and is far and away the best Tackle on the team. I prefer him on the right side but If it’s a choice of watching Carson get hurt, I’d rather have Lane protecting his blind side. 

And then who plays RT? Week one against Washington the threat is coming from both sides. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And then who plays RT? Week one against Washington the threat is coming from both sides. 

Yes they have a very good DL.  I'm really worried for Carson's health.  This is a very troubling situation.  We're going to have to game plan more for the QB not to get hurt than to win the game.  Howie is stubbornly clinging to the idea we have the answer in house with one of our late pick/FA types, but we don't.  

10 hours ago, weko said:

Doug is in a bad spot in the middle without any control.  Years of substandard drafting, ignoring the Oline while wasting premium picks on players at other positions who can't play, are drafted to be back ups or developmental picks, and are now coming home to roost on the Oline.  Bruised ego complicates.  I am worried for Carson's health in the short term.  The thought of him making it through a 16 game season with Pryor or Mailata at LT is something I think has a low probability.  Our LT play has been bad to terrible this pre season and we're looking at much better RDEs on other teams than we have here, and our DEs have destroyed Mailata & Pryor. 

We need to acquire or sign a FA OT right away.  Howie is stalling for whatever reason.  He has overspent on the cap, which used to be his area of expertise.  Now he needs to act but he doesn't have the cap space for a top tier player.  At least he should sign a vet out of the bargain basement bin.  That would probably be better than anyone on the roster with the exception of Peters, but at 38 we don't know if he has anything left either.  We really needed the 1st rounder to be at least competent.  Unfortunately he isn't so we need to bring in someone with experience ASAP.

I highly doubt we're going to see either Pryor or Mailata at LT for the full 16 game season.  Who knows, my gut could end up being wrong, but I think they are just trying to figure out who will best be able to man LT when JP comes off the field - his recent history has him missing plays or even full games due to minor injury.  Options are a bit limited - they need to find that next Big V that may not be ideal but also won't be a complete train wreck when called upon (like Winston Justice was).  

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I highly doubt we're going to see either Pryor or Mailata at LT for the full 16 game season.  Who knows, my gut could end up being wrong, but I think they are just trying to figure out who will best be able to man LT when JP comes off the field - his recent history has him missing plays or even full games due to minor injury.  Options are a bit limited - they need to find that next Big V that may not be ideal but also won't be a complete train wreck when called upon (like Winston Justice was).  

If not Pryor or Mailata, then who?  I see Mailata potentially as exactly that, a Winston Justice situation.  Our FA DE who has never played a snap in the league consistently owns him.  I think people have been lulled into sleep.  There are superb pass rushing DEs in this league, better than anything rugby has seen in practice and he hasn't come close to handling those guys.  LT is the 2nd most important position on a team and we're all content we can put any late round pick/free agent type out there and the system/Stoutland will make it work.  Pryor has never played LT.  Even if he surprises and does ok, what happens when he or Lane goes down?  I think they're really planning on putting Mailata in.  Can't believe it.  The worst case scenario here could get really ugly, really fast if they don't pay Peters and Pryor can't immediately get it done at LT.

1 minute ago, weko said:

If not Pryor or Mailata, then who?  I see Mailata potentially as exactly that, a Winston Justice situation.  Our FA DE who has never played a snap in the league consistently owns him.  I think people have been lulled into sleep.  There are superb pass rushing DEs in this league, better than anything rugby has seen in practice and he hasn't come close to handling those guys.  LT is the 2nd most important position on a team and we're all content we can put any late round pick/free agent type out there and the system/Stoutland will make it work.  Pryor has never played LT.  Even if he surprises and does ok, what happens when he or Lane goes down?  I think they're really planning on putting Mailata in.  Can't believe it.  The worst case scenario here could get really ugly, really fast if they don't pay Peters and Pryor can't immediately get it done at LT.

I do think JP will be our starting LT when the season starts.  The focus now is to identify who will spell him when needed.  So give those guys all of the pre season snaps at LT to see who looks the best in a couple weeks (tallest midget?).  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I do think JP will be our starting LT when the season starts.  The focus now is to identify who will spell him when needed.  So give those guys all of the pre season snaps at LT to see who looks the best in a couple weeks (tallest midget?).  

That makes sense if that is the plan.  Give the young guys the reps then when the season starts, pay Peters, move him over and acquire a vet OT.  I just don't understand why they haven't signed a vet yet.  To my knowledge they haven't brought anyone in for workouts.  That says they are content with Mailata as the swing tackle.  They're only keeping 9 OL this year.  They'd have to cut rugby if they added a vet.  Howie doesn't seem to want to do that.  Or they'll put Driscoll in, but he hasn't played LT in a long time.  We are so obviously needing a vet LT, but there's no movement there.  I have to believe we'll add someone before the opener. I'd gladly give up a 5 or 6 now to get a good fallback option.  Maybe they're trying to trade Jones for an OT.

31 minutes ago, weko said:

That makes sense if that is the plan.  Give the young guys the reps then when the season starts, pay Peters, move him over and acquire a vet OT.  I just don't understand why they haven't signed a vet yet.  To my knowledge they haven't brought anyone in for workouts.  That says they are content with Mailata as the swing tackle.  They're only keeping 9 OL this year.  They'd have to cut rugby if they added a vet.  Howie doesn't seem to want to do that.  Or they'll put Driscoll in, but he hasn't played LT in a long time.  We are so obviously needing a vet LT, but there's no movement there.  I have to believe we'll add someone before the opener. I'd gladly give up a 5 or 6 now to get a good fallback option.  Maybe they're trying to trade Jones for an OT.

Roster cuts coming in 3 days when teams need to get down to 53.  Maybe they're waiting to see who shakes loose?  

1 hour ago, weko said:

Yes they have a very good DL.  I'm really worried for Carson's health.  This is a very troubling situation.  We're going to have to game plan more for the QB not to get hurt than to win the game.  Howie is stubbornly clinging to the idea we have the answer in house with one of our late pick/FA types, but we don't.  

Thing is its going to be an issue every week. Short of throwing in the towel, which of course they won't do and rightly so, then they've just got to get on with it. 

There is no way in hell they'll go into the season with Pryor or Mailata at LT.  If they do, they are literally signing Wentz' death certificate.

It'll end up being Peters.  But what happens when he inevitably misses time is a big question.  They are probably trying to see who is going to be Peters' backup at LT for WHEN he misses time.  Not sure why they aren't putting Driscoll there...he may really be the best option.

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would say Pryor but then you have 3 guys playing out of position- Lane, Peters and Pryor. When I think about more, they’re probably better off just putting JP at LT so then you have everyone at their natural positions. I just hate the idea of getting squeezed by Peters. I mean, it’s not my money but the Eagles organization has been very good to him. He’s probably been here 2 years longer than he should’ve.

4 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

There is no way in hell they'll go into the season with Pryor or Mailata at LT.  If they do, they are literally signing Wentz' death certificate.

I think people put too much weight in what beat writers report in terms of how players are doing, especially this year with no preseason.

Playing Pryor or Mailata isn't ideal, but it's far from the season being over. We were fine with Vaitai at LT, and he was truly terrible. There were a few games in his career where Seumalo couldn't block anyone and Wentz survived. He got sacked 37 times last year, so it's not like the team was great at protecting him even with a largely healthy line.

Pryor has an advantage in that he is absolutely huge, so the team only has to chip the DE on the outside to take away the speed rush. Once that option is gone, no one is going to beat him with power. He's just too big. We are primarily a 2 TE offense anyway, so we can just put a TE on that side of the line to help him.

Where a guy like Pryor really hurts us is in getting to the second level in run blocking and on screens. That will be almost non existent with him. But his problems in pass protection are pretty easy to scheme around.

7 hours ago, weko said:

I can accept everything but the "pay Peters” part. He’s already being paid based on the contract he signed like 2 months ago. 

On 9/2/2020 at 8:41 AM, time2rock said:

Roster cuts coming in 3 days when teams need to get down to 53.  Maybe they're waiting to see who shakes loose?  

I wonder if that's what they're waiting on.

20 hours ago, jsb235 said:

I think people put too much weight in what beat writers report in terms of how players are doing, especially this year with no preseason.

Playing Pryor or Mailata isn't ideal, but it's far from the season being over. We were fine with Vaitai at LT, and he was truly terrible. There were a few games in his career where Seumalo couldn't block anyone and Wentz survived. He got sacked 37 times last year, so it's not like the team was great at protecting him even with a largely healthy line.

Pryor has an advantage in that he is absolutely huge, so the team only has to chip the DE on the outside to take away the speed rush. Once that option is gone, no one is going to beat him with power. He's just too big. We are primarily a 2 TE offense anyway, so we can just put a TE on that side of the line to help him.

Where a guy like Pryor really hurts us is in getting to the second level in run blocking and on screens. That will be almost non existent with him. But his problems in pass protection are pretty easy to scheme around.

Having to scheme for a weakness at a key position like LT will significantly limit the O and they can't/won't do that all the time.  And when they don't, that will be trouble or again limit the play.  I don't like it at all.  Pryor has never played on the left side, and his skill level is certainly questionable, at the least.  And Mailata?  Forget it.

It's going to be Peters at LT by opening day.  

17 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Having to scheme for a weakness at a key position like LT will significantly limit the O and they can't/won't do that all the time.  And when they don't, that will be trouble or again limit the play.  I don't like it at all.  Pryor has never played on the left side, and his skill level is certainly questionable, at the least.  And Mailata?  Forget it.

It's going to be Peters at LT by opening day.  

This news should significantly reduce Peters' leverage.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I agree that Peters will most likely be at LT on opening day, and hopefully the news of Reiff taking a big paycut will urge that along. The one good thing is that the team doesn't really need much time for the line to adjust, as Pryor will be heading back to his original spot. 

• Like 1

If Pryor starts at LT, it will be a reminded of Winston Justice vs. Osi.  Pryor is a guard/RT. He isn't going to be able to handle Chase Young.  Doug and Howie need to stop this charade.  I don't understand Peters' agent and Howie not addressing this possibility in the original contract. This should've been covered just in case.  Both sides dropped the ball.

8 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I don't understand Peters' agent and Howie not addressing this possibility in the original contract. This should've been covered just in case.  Both sides dropped the ball.

See I think that's more of JP's agent. Howie managed to pull a fast one by not having any incentives in there, his agent should have noted that and asked for some to be added in. I mean everyone knew when he came back there was a chance he'd end up playing LT.

Glad this didn't happen because if Peters actually stayed at right guard Wentz would be carted off the filed in week 1.