Doug Pederson following the Eagles’ loss to Football Team: ‘We got a lot of work to do’

UK_EaglesFan89

Doug Pederson following the Eagles’ loss to Football Team: ‘We got a lot of work to do’

The head coach also answers questions about the offensive line.

The Eagles’ season opener against Washington was UGLY. Not good, at all. Head coach Doug Pederson spoke to the media following the 27-17 loss to a division opponent, and talked about the offensive line, number of sacks allowed, and Carson Wentz’s performance. Pederson also reiterated his post-game message to the team.

Here’s what the head coach had to say:

On the 8 sacks and the OL

Pederson said that it can’t happen, and that it was a little bit of both the offensive line and Carson Wentz not getting rid of the ball. He was sure to note that not all sacks are on the line or the quarterback, either, and that the running backs and tight ends play a role, as well as the receivers needing to get open.

"Ultimately, that cannot happen.”

Later, he talked about how when you change up the players due to injury, it’s going to mess with that continuity a bit, but the guys don’t let that bother them — Pederson said they just have to go out and execute.

"This front, today, is a really good test for our guys. Valuable experience for guys like Nate Herbig and Jack Driscoll  Jordan Mailata got in there today. So, you don’t want to move too many parts up front, but at the same time, we take pride in getting our guys prepared and go play.”

Pederson was asked about Matt Pryor not playing, and he said they make those decisions based on a couple different factors, but they felt Nate herbig had a good week in practice.

On Carson Wentz’s performance

He agreed that at the beginning, Wentz was executing the tempo offense, but said he’d have to review the film to see where the breakdown was after that.

Pederson was later asked about their fourth-down attempt at the end of the game.

"It’s a play we’ve executed many, many times. I thought Carson did a nice job of executing, going through his progression and getting back to his backside reads, and he had Zach [Ertz]. And, we just missed. Flat out, we just missed. When we put the ball in Carson’s hands and Zach’s hands like that, two of our leaders, you expect to make that play. But, we didn’t today. We’re going to clean that stuff up, and get better next week.”

The head coach said that both interceptions were away from him, so it’s hard to say whether the rookie receivers would have been able to keep the ball out of Washington’s hands.

Overall reaction

Pederson said that they all have to get better — the players, the coaching staff, and it starts with him.

On his post-game message to the team:

"We got a lot of work to do. Today was not our best, and we’ve got to eliminate the mistakes. We can’t have the sacks, we can’t have the turnovers that we had today and expect to win — especially against a division opponent. So, it’s just one game. I told them that we’re going to go to work tomorrow and get ready for next week.”

The head coach took responsibility for the team not executing and giving Washington so many short fields throughout the game.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/9/13/21435320/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-reaction-week-1-loss-washington-football-team-offensive-line

Got to get better? Obviously. Can they? Not so sure. Not with this personnel.

On the 8 sacks and OL, Doug: "Ultimately that can't happen."

What insight!!!!!  f'ing genius!!!!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dude, this article pisses me off more than anything else.  

8 sacks -- and at least part of this was because your play calling was terrible.  You've got (1) one of the better pass rushes in the league, (2) a bad offensive line.  You can do things in this scenario, but it's gotta be a lot of quick passes, quick screens, max protect, etc.  I saw a lot of 5 wide sets, dialing up the bomb and other play calls that take entirely too long to develop.  You almost got your franchise QB killed.  Gotta do better than this.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Dude, this article pisses me off more than anything else.  

8 sacks -- and at least part of this was because your play calling was terrible.  You've got (1) one of the better pass rushes in the league, (2) a bad offensive line.  You can do things in this scenario, but it's gotta be a lot of quick passes, quick screens, max protect, etc.  I saw a lot of 5 wide sets, dialing up the bomb and other play calls that take entirely too long to develop.  You almost got your franchise QB killed.  Gotta do better than this.  

So much for the revamped offense from having added so many new faces to the offensive coaching staff.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  

• Like 1

I believe if/when Baldy does his film study of this game, we will see that Carson had opportunities to check down and/or a quick route but chose to hold onto the ball. 

• Like 1

Time to vent...at Howie. I blame him for 90% of the Eagles' problems.

Howie's poor drafting is coming to the fore. FA and trades are meant to put the finishing touches on the roster, not build its core.

Every replacement he selects has a significantly lower ceiling than the guy he's replacing. I can understand that happens when replacing a HOF'er but other than that, the expectation is the new kid BEATS OUT the older guy and WINS THE JOB on merit because he's better. Not just waits around until he's gone and get it by default because he's the best of a bad group that remains.

If Lane and Ertz were truly Chip picks as many have suggested, then outside of Carson, Howie is batting 0.000 on drafting top shelf talent with ANY pick coming after #2 overall. F'ing ZERO.

Blind Squirrel moment - OK, I'll admit it, Goedert may raise that average a little, but come on, one guy and that's it? The drafts have been extremely non-productive and many other personnel moves became absolutely necessary to compensate for those constant multiple mistakes. 

How can Howie have any role whatsoever during the draft process, other than facilitating trades that the final talent judge wants (whoever that may be)? 

Jeffrey Lurie MUST interceded here. It doesn't even have to be public at all. Just take the "collaboration" model and tweak it by giving final say on 1. All positional grading criteria and 2. All Draft picks to someone else. Howie can still give the pressers and talk about the collaborative process like he does now anyway.

The first three rounds of the draft are for finding difference makers, not average starters. If you're only finding the latter, you have failed.

There have to be consequences for repetitive failure or it'll never change, and Howie sits in the chair responsible for those failures. One more mediocre to bad draft and Wentz' hope of getting a ring himself will be dead for 4-5 years with each subsequent mediocre to bad draft extending it another year.

Look at the holes they have now, then look who is leaving over the next 4 years. Add them together and it becomes apparent that a long period of rebuilding awaits and without a few CONSECUTIVE stellar drafts, it'll never get finished.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Howie's poor drafting is coming to the fore. FA and trades are meant to put the finishing touches on the roster, not build its core.

I think this is spot on. 

He's made terrible draft picks and I think that's had an impact on our high coach turnover. I mean they can only work with so much! And if they are working with garbage then they aren't going to get much. 

• Like 1

@PoconoDon I have been consistently against Howie having anything to do with the evaluation of talent.  On the old board I was a pariah on certain threads where the TATErs were hugging Howie’s nuts so hard, their chins smelled of Roseman taint.  I said it in ‘17...lightning in a bottle.  I wouldn’t let Howie draft my Fantasy Football Team, much less have any say (final or otherwise) in an actual NFL draft.  The guy literally never played one snap of football at ANY level.  He wouldn’t know football talent if it hit him in the forehead.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Every replacement he selects has a significantly lower ceiling than the guy he's replacing. I can understand that happens when replacing a HOF'er but other than that, the expectation is the new kid BEATS OUT the older guy and WINS THE JOB on merit because he's better. Not just waits around until he's gone and get it by default because he's the best of a bad group that remains.

If Lane and Ertz were truly Chip picks as many have suggested, then outside of Carson, Howie is batting 0.000 on drafting top shelf talent with ANY pick coming after #2 overall. F'ing ZERO.

Blind Squirrel moment - OK, I'll admit it, Goedert may raise that average a little, but come on, one guy and that's it? The drafts have been extremely non-productive and many other personnel moves became absolutely necessary to compensate for those constant multiple mistakes. 

How can Howie have any role whatsoever during the draft process, other than facilitating trades that the final talent judge wants (whoever that may be)? 

Jeffrey Lurie MUST interceded here. It doesn't even have to be public at all. Just take the "collaboration" model and tweak it by giving final say on 1. All positional grading criteria and 2. All Draft picks to someone else. Howie can still give the pressers and talk about the collaborative process like he does now anyway.

The first three rounds of the draft are for finding difference makers, not average starters. If you're only finding the latter, you have failed.

There have to be consequences for repetitive failure or it'll never change, and Howie sits in the chair responsible for those failures. One more mediocre to bad draft and Wentz' hope of getting a ring himself will be dead for 4-5 years with each subsequent mediocre to bad draft extending it another year.

Look at the holes they have now, then look who is leaving over the next 4 years. Add them together and it becomes apparent that a long period of rebuilding awaits and without a few CONSECUTIVE stellar drafts, it'll never get finished.

Yep.  Also, the Eagles FO and Peters' agent didn't consider the obvious. They should've had a clause in that initial contract that addressed any possibility of Peters moving to OT.  The starting OL should've been practicing a couple of weeks ago before the start of the season. I get it about Lane. But, Herbig is put at RG and I don't buy Doug's statement today that all these guys got first string reps.  The starting OL should've been together (sans Lane) for close to 2 weeks before the opener so that they would have continuity.  I knew that Wentz was going to take a beating because of it.  Once Washington started mixing in overloads and blitzing on defense, they didn't know who to pick up and that includes our RBs.  Howie and Doug didn't do Wentz any favors by not having the OL better situated.  Then, Doug calls the game as if the OL was completely healthy.  Crazy.

• Like 2

I'm still surprised that so many didn't see that 8 sack performance coming.  I told my Washington "friends" that we had no chance on Sunday.  We would be ecstatic to have any one of Kerrigan, Sweat, or Young and they have all three!  Up against Driscoll, Herbig, Mailata, and Peters (who looked stuck in quicksand)!  We were outalented in those matchups and then Doug got outcoached.

Aaron Donald may ragdoll Herbig for 4 quarters this week.  Get ready!

17 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think we'd have to hit rock bottom and stay there for a couple seasons before Lurie would consider making that kind of change, unfortunately.  The current (post 2017) cycle of being just good enough to sneak into the playoffs but no real shot at another championship is like fools gold to the owner (who likely also gives Howie a much longer leash than he deserves with that Super Bowl run a few years ago).  We've all (or most of us, at least) have been calling for someone other than Howie to oversee talent evaluation because we've always known he isn't good enough in that department.  

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think we'd have to hit rock bottom and stay there for a couple seasons before Lurie would consider making that kind of change, unfortunately.  The current (post 2017) cycle of being just good enough to sneak into the playoffs but no real shot at another championship is like fools gold to the owner (who likely also gives Howie a much longer leash than he deserves with that Super Bowl run a few years ago).  We've all (or most of us, at least) have been calling for someone other than Howie to oversee talent evaluation because we've always known he isn't good enough in that department.  

I'm venting again (not at you):

rock bottom???    It's coming. At the rate they're reducing the talent on this team, it'll be sooner rather than later.

What player drafted under Howie was an UPGRADE over the starter being replaced? Just Carson, and that's it (Goedert/Ertz is TBD). Every other one has been a downgrade. It doesn't matter who his assistants are, the results are always the same. That's failure to  identify top shelf talent evaluators or failure to listen to them if you have them, or forcing them to operate within a failed grading system. In any event, that's failed leadership and IMO, that falls 100% on Howie. 

I agree that Lurie won't force his hand again, but he should, and he should do it in a meeting today. At least they could do a genuine self scouting of their evaluation process.

It would show their evaluation process is broken. Whatever criteria they are using to grade these kids is wrong. How many more mentally, emotionally, and physically soft finesse players from the PAC-12 and Mountain West Conferences are they gonna draft with early picks?  The more they do that, the faster 3-13 will arrive. 

You know what? Maybe that's exactly what's needed to make the proper changes. It's just a shame it has to be so extreme for them to have a chance to see the #1 problem with the team. Then again, maybe they can't see it no matter what happens...or worse, won't see it no matter what.

I only saw Cindy Jones in a handful of games in college. He was a classic PAC-12 finesse cover corner. You know why I was concerned from day 1? Because in my limited viewing, I saw him, on multiple occasions in each game slow down and avoid contact in the run game. He showed consistently that he's a coward and too soft for the NFL. A prospect who does that is supposed to be ERASED and REMOVED from your draft board, period. Taking a chance on him is wasting a roster spot and downgrading a position on your team.

Howie seems to get enamored with 1 player trait and will ignore the 3 other glaring weaknesses when selecting prospects. Look at Dillard. He's a very nimble pass blocker. Of course he's also physically weak, mentally and emotionally frail, not a great run blocker, and once he actually engaged in a tough pro workout program, he got injured and now has to tough out a rehab program. Doesn't bode well. That was their 1st round pick...are you kidding me?

Winning championships is mostly about building complete teams and to do that, you have to build with complete players, some of whom must be among the very best in the league. The Eagles can't seem  to find any of those kinds of players in the draft, while other teams can and do. That's Howie's fault.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

rock bottom???    It's coming. At the rate they're reducing the talent on this team, it'll be sooner rather than later.

I think you're spot on. I agree with everything you've just said. 

It is hard to be optimistic about this team as right now it faces a very tough couple of years.

It needs rebuild, and to rebuild you have to do so through the draft. That means drafting well and Howie simply doesn't do that. He's really bad in the draft actually and has no cap space to make FA moves. 

8 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

What player drafted under Howie was an UPGRADE over the starter being replaced? Just Carson, and that's it (Goedert/Ertz is TBD). Every other one has been a downgrade. It doesn't matter who his assistants are, the results are always the same. That's failure to  identify top shelf talent evaluators or failure to listen to them if you have them, or forcing them to operate within a failed grading system. In any event, that's failed leadership and IMO, that falls 100% on Howie. 

I agree that Lurie won't force his hand again, but he should, and he should do it in a meeting today. At least they could do a genuine self scouting of their evaluation process.

It would show their evaluation process is broken. Whatever criteria they are using to grade these kids is wrong. How many more mentally, emotionally, and physically soft finesse players from the PAC-12 and Mountain West Conferences are they gonna draft with early picks?  The more they do that, the faster 3-13 will arrive. 

You know what? Maybe that's exactly what's needed to make the proper changes. It's just a shame it has to be so extreme for them to have a chance to see the #1 problem with the team. Then again, maybe they can't see it no matter what happens...or worse, won't see it no matter what.

I only saw Cindy Jones in a handful of games in college. He was a classic PAC-12 finesse cover corner. You know why I was concerned from day 1? Because in my limited viewing, I saw him, on multiple occasions in each game slow down and avoid contact in the run game. He showed consistently that he's a coward and too soft for the NFL. A prospect who does that is supposed to be ERASED and REMOVED from your draft board, period. Taking a chance on him is wasting a roster spot and downgrading a position on your team.

Howie seems to get enamored with 1 player trait and will ignore the 3 other glaring weaknesses when selecting prospects. Look at Dillard. He's a very nimble pass blocker. Of course he's also physically weak, mentally and emotionally frail, not a great run blocker, and once he actually engaged in a tough pro workout program, he got injured and now has to tough out a rehab program. Doesn't bode well. That was their 1st round pick...are you kidding me?

Winning championships is mostly about building complete teams and to do that, you have to build with complete players, some of whom must be among the very best in the league. The Eagles can't seem  to find any of those kinds of players in the draft, while other teams can and do. That's Howie's fault.

No argument from me on ANY of that bro.  

20 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Dillard was the top rated Tackle on everyone's draft board in 2019. He was projected to go in the 10-15 range. His draft profile talked about his lack of run blocking in college but how he excelled in pass protection and was athletic enough on screen passes and enough strength to anchor a line.

If he becomes a complete bust, it wasn't just Howie that missed on him, it is the entire NFL and scouting community that missed on him.

Sidney Jones was one of the best CB prospects, surefire top 10 pick, who got hurt before the draft happened. This lowered his stock and it was an absolute steal for the Eagles to get him in round 2. He did not heal properly and lost all of his confidence. It happens and it does not dilute the fact that the kid was something special coming out of college who had an unfortante injury.

To me Howie is just OK - not great but not as terrible as you guys rate him and I think that is because of the unreal expectations of draft picks that you guys have. 

5 hours ago, pallidrone said:

If he becomes a complete bust, it wasn't just Howie that missed on him, it is the entire NFL and scouting community that missed on him.

Well not quite. 20 other teams passed on him before Howie moved up to select him...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Dillard was the top rated Tackle on everyone's draft board in 2019. He was projected to go in the 10-15 range. His draft profile talked about his lack of run blocking in college but how he excelled in pass protection and was athletic enough on screen passes and enough strength to anchor a line.

Sidney Jones was one of the best CB prospects, surefire top 10 pick, who got hurt before the draft happened. This lowered his stock and it was an absolute steal for the Eagles to get him in round 2. He did not heal properly and lost all of his confidence. It happens and it does not dilute the fact that the kid was something special coming out of college who had an unfortante injury.

To me Howie is just OK - not great but not as terrible as you guys rate him and I think that is because of the unreal expectations of draft picks that you guys have. 

If Dillard was a great prospect, he never gets to the Eagles at 22. Being the best at a position in a down year for talent doesn't equate to a great player.

If the defense of Howie is he misses just like everybody else, then he clearly shouldn't be the guy making the picks. That's not anywhere near good enough. He should have to consistently be among the best at talent evaluation to keep that job. 

I disagree on both players but that's OK. It's why we have these discussions. I thought Jones was a problem from the beginning. I knew it for sure when he refused to lift weights in the off season a couple years ago. He's a total bust who is just trying to do nothing on his way to that 4 year player pension. 

The knock on Dillard coming out was unknown as a run blocker and didn't play against top competition.  Turns out he cries at practice after a scuffle and has a melt down prior to a game IIRC. I hope he finds his way to being a great LT for over a decade. the Eagles desperately need that to happen. I'm just not sold that he will. Time will tell.

9 hours ago, pallidrone said:

With an aging roster that doesn’t have a lot of young talent in the pipeline and a salary cap situation that puts us near the bottom of the league currently, we need more than "just OK” to continue to remain in contention (that is the goal, no?).  Honestly, I don’t know that we really were legit contenders last year even though we made the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

If Dillard was a great prospect, he never gets to the Eagles at 22. Being the best at a position in a down year for talent doesn't equate to a great player.

If the defense of Howie is he misses just like everybody else, then he clearly shouldn't be the guy making the picks. That's not anywhere near good enough. He should have to consistently be among the best at talent evaluation to keep that job. 

I disagree on both players but that's OK. It's why we have these discussions. I thought Jones was a problem from the beginning. I knew it for sure when he refused to lift weights in the off season a couple years ago. He's a total bust who is just trying to do nothing on his way to that 4 year player pension. 

The knock on Dillard coming out was unknown as a run blocker and didn't play against top competition.  Turns out he cries at practice after a scuffle and has a melt down prior to a game IIRC. I hope he finds his way to being a great LT for over a decade. the Eagles desperately need that to happen. I'm just not sold that he will. Time will tell.

Why did Aaron Rodgers fall from 2 to 20?

Sometimes teams do weird things. Sometimes team place a higher value on one position over another. Sometimes a team just doesnt need a specific player even if they are rated highly. It happens in every single draft. Some players go higher then they should and others fall based off of some teams wants and needs. 

Re: Dillard - If that is true, then nobody probably knew about his emotional state during the draft, and it probably means he will bust out. The NFL is a huge change from college and there are a lot of players that just can not handle it.

Re: Sidney Jones - we was a gamble at a position of need. If you can get a player that was highly rated but falls because of X issue, sometimes you have to gamble.

Everything you are saying is with hindsight in mind. Dillard was not a mental case in college. Sidney Jones went to the combine and did all the drills until he had a terrible accident. Teams only have so much access to these players before the draft and they are not allowed to talk to everyone. College coaches will go to bat for the players because the more players that go to the NFL to more likely they can get some highly rated HS players to come to their schools. It is all a game.

Look - I am not trying to be a Howie fan here. I think he has done some really good things and I think he has done some awful things. However, while the draft is good for stocking up on young cheap talent, it is not the only way to build a team. The only thing I believe is that a team has to come out of the draft with a multiyear starter with their first pick (or first couple of picks if they have multiple picks in the first). Every other round is crap shoot IMHO.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

With an aging roster that doesn’t have a lot of young talent in the pipeline and a salary cap situation that puts us near the bottom of the league currently, we need more than "just OK” to continue to remain in contention (that is the goal, no?).  Honestly, I don’t know that we really were legit contenders last year even though we made the playoffs.  

Again, I do not disagree with this assessment. Sometimes you got to know when to hold and know when to fold them and the last couple of years Howie has been terrible at knowing when to fold. I think where he has failed the most is not with the draft, but with the player acquisition in FA, resigning and trades.

There was no need to bring BG back. There was no need to guarantee Alshon's contract. No need for a DeSean extension. Trading for Tate and then keeping Agholor over him was criminal.

I like having Slay here, but if he didnt screw the cap with some of these players, the Eagles could have paid the price for Ramsey and they would have been set at corner for years.

All this mismanagement may lead to a complete dismantle in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Again, I do not disagree with this assessment. Sometimes you got to know when to hold and know when to fold them and the last couple of years Howie has been terrible at knowing when to fold. I think where he has failed the most is not with the draft, but with the player acquisition in FA, resigning and trades.

If he drafts better though it takes the pressure off of FA and extending players and trades. If he drafts better at CB then he doesn't need to give up a 3rd and a 5th for Slay. If he drafts better at DE then he doesn't need to extend BG or he doesn't need to trade a 4th for Avery. If he drafts better at WR then he doesn't need to create the Jeffrey mess that he's created. His failure to draft has caused the problem we now have. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If he drafts better though it takes the pressure off of FA and extending players and trades. If he drafts better at CB then he doesn't need to give up a 3rd and a 5th for Slay. If he drafts better at DE then he doesn't need to extend BG or he doesn't need to trade a 4th for Avery. If he drafts better at WR then he doesn't need to create the Jeffrey mess that he's created. His failure to draft has caused the problem we now have. 

Spot on bud!

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Drafting is only part of it.

So in that draft only 3 CBs became really good and the Eagles had a shot at two of them. Tre'davious White and Marlon Humphrey - do you really think that either of those guys become the players they are today playing in the Eagles defense?

Does Alvin Kamara become as good as he is playing for Washington? Does Lane Johnson become an All Start right tackle without Stoutland?

I mean everyone is on DK Metcalf's junk and making comments on how the Eagles should have drafted him over JJAW - what makes anyone think that Metcalf develops the way he does on the Eagles compared to having the best deep ball thrower in the league with Wilson?

Everyone wants to blame Howie for drafting - but I dont blame the picks - it is the development of the players. There is a reason why there has been a different WR and CB coach almost every year. He has a massive problem finding the right personnel to train these guys.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Everyone wants to blame Howie for drafting - but I dont blame the picks - it is the development of the players. There is a reason why there has been a different WR and CB coach almost every year. He has a massive problem finding the right personnel to train these guys.

I don't disagree with that. Howie should take some of the blame for poor draft picks but I do agree the coaching hasn't been good enough either. At some point you'd like to think that some players would have developed and become at least good back ups. We haven't had anything like that really though. 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, PoconoDon said:

Look at Dillard. He's a very nimble pass blocker. Of course he's also physically weak, mentally and emotionally frail, not a great run blocker, and once he actually engaged in a tough pro workout program, he got injured and now has to tough out a rehab program. Doesn't bode well. That was their 1st round pick...are you kidding me?

This is a great point and goes to the health issues we've had with Dillard, Jones, Djax and the whole team, really.

What, does the FO think kelce doesn't play hurt every single week? You need to draft guys who are tough.

• Like 1