Interesting Article about Eagles Draft Process

eaglesfan0075

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-draft-howie-roseman-jj-arcega-whiteside-andre-dillard-jeffrey-lurie-20200421.html?_gl=1*cqibfd*_ga*eXlTYTBIenc5STZBbW9ndVByazlkTmJFR1BLWFRIb1Q0NFJWY1gwR1JtYmFWazJuaFljdUpwZ29EUnlZdjB1Xw..

Definitely worth a read. For what it's worth, the article delves into the general process on how the team divides prospects into one of 4 tiers and then flags prospects because of injury concerns in order to create their draft board.

There are specific examples from the 2019 and 2017 drafts used in the article.

11 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-draft-howie-roseman-jj-arcega-whiteside-andre-dillard-jeffrey-lurie-20200421.html?_gl=1*cqibfd*_ga*eXlTYTBIenc5STZBbW9ndVByazlkTmJFR1BLWFRIb1Q0NFJWY1gwR1JtYmFWazJuaFljdUpwZ29EUnlZdjB1Xw..

Definitely worth a read. For what it's worth, the article delves into the general process on how the team divides prospects into one of 4 tiers and then flags prospects because of injury concerns in order to create their draft board.

There are specific examples from the 2019 and 2017 drafts used in the article.

That article leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Roseman.  It sounds like Pederson, if he had his way,  could have possibly brought in Dalvin Cook or James Connor,  and DK Metcalf, but was out voted by Roseman tipping the scale of power.  Instead they got Whiteside, Rasul Douglas, and Donnel Pumphrey.  That makes me want to vomit.  

That article does not fill me with confidence about the decision-making process! 

If Dougie P wanted a RB that badly, then why on Earth did they take Mack Hollins instead of Tarik Cohen? 

1 hour ago, Couch Potato said:

That article does not fill me with confidence about the decision-making process! 

If Dougie P wanted a RB that badly, then why on Earth did they take Mack Hollins instead of Tarik Cohen? 

Roseman. Plain and simple.  His vote outweighs everyone but Lurie's. 

2 hours ago, What The F said:

That article leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Roseman.  It sounds like Pederson, if he had his way,  could have possibly brought in Dalvin Cook or James Connor,  and DK Metcalf, but was out voted by Roseman tipping the scale of power.  Instead they got Whiteside, Rasul Douglas, and Donnel Pumphrey.  That makes me want to vomit.  

8 minutes ago, What The F said:

Roseman. Plain and simple.  His vote outweighs everyone but Lurie's. 

If you read in between the lines, the guy that had "more clout" would have most likely been Joe Douglas.    He's gone now, so let's see if this year's draft looks different,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

If you read in between the lines, the guy that had "more clout" would have most likely been Joe Douglas.    He's gone now, so let's see if this year's draft looks different,

Agreed. Reading the article makes me even more glad Douglas is gone. 

Of the misses, or the potential ones, several have been a product of the decision-making process, more so than the initial evaluation -- specifically the Sidney Jones, Donnel Pumphrey, Andre Dillard, and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside selections

Dillard played great at LT, sucked at RT a position he never played. Calling him a miss or potential miss is absurd at this point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Dillard played great at LT, sucked at RT a position he never played. Calling him a miss or potential miss is absurd at this point. 

Yeah. The only real miss of those is Pumphrey so far. Dillard will be a very good pick IMO; the jury is still out on Jones and JJAW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

4 misses in 2-3 drafts is pretty much every teams problem. The problem with us is the hits we do have haven't turned into stars, just solid players or depth. 

• Like 2

To be fair, drafting WRs and DBs early has been an area of weakness in the front office prior to Howie Roseman becoming GM in 2010.

The last truly great DB draft this team had was 2002 that net us Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, and Michael Lewis (not to mention RB Brian Westbrook in Round 3 for the offense).

The Eagles had to deal with Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston and Reggie Brown in Rounds 1-2 from 2000-2005 before hitting on DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin in 2008-2009.

One can only hope that we are done with the era of Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, and JJ Arcega Whiteside and can hit on our next Jackson and Maclin combo this year!

Douglas had a ton of influence on all the picks the last 4 years and most of those were not good. Glad he's gone and hope the next guy is better at judging talent. 

IMO the personnel guys should be making a list of the players we should pick if available. This should be hashed out before the draft even starts, not while we are on the clock. Howie should be in charge of any trade decisions. If we do indeed use the pick he should be able to look at the list and pick the best player still available.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Douglas had a ton of influence on all the picks the last 4 years and most of those were not good. Glad he's gone and hope the next guy is better at judging talent. 

IMO the personnel guys should be making a list of the players we should pick if available. This should be hashed out before the draft even starts, not while we are on the clock. Howie should be in charge of any trade decisions. If we do indeed use the pick he should be able to look at the list and pick the best player still available.

This is the type of thing that needs to be discussed during all of the mock draft exercises running through different scenarios: best case scenario, worst case scenario, anything in between. If you don't have that taken care of, then you aren't really prepared for the draft.

There certainly more pressure on Howie Roseman this year to not miss on the draft selections because Douglas is gone. I don't think using Andy Weidl as the scapegoat will work this time as Roseman will now be the guy with the most "clout" for tie-breaker decisions.

7 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Yeah I didn't understand Dillard's name being lumped in with the others. He actually was decent when filling in for Peters but the negative people point out how bad he looked on the right side.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, What The F said:

I fully believe Cook was the pick until the Vikings jumped one spot a head of the Eagles to take him. 

Yeah I read this the other day. Super interesting, great content. #mywayisbetter

Howie missed out on a RB in a RB deep draft. Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistake this draft.

The article was interesting but I question this...

While he showed some promise in the four games he got to play as a rookie, Dillard struggled to adapt to the new environment and the NFL locker room.

Where did he get this from?

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie missed out on a RB in a RB deep draft. Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistake this draft.

The article was interesting but I question this...

While he showed some promise in the four games he got to play as a rookie, Dillard struggled to adapt to the new environment and the NFL locker room.

Where did he get this from?

Was wondering the same thing.  Doesn't seem like anyone in the franchise is really doubting Dillard at this point, but who knows. 

Love him or hate him, one thing is for sure...Howie needs to NAIL this draft!  

On 4/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, 20dawk4life said:

When you play one specific position, all those years of training creates muscle memory. Then some stupid coach wants to just reverse everything and stick you in a mirror and tell you to perform as if you always have been there. It's flat out stupid to do that to a player. Some players can do it ok, but a players mind and muscle memory pretty much get screwed up doing it. I didn't blame him for getting pissed off about it. He called them on their shi8, like "You drafted me at THIS position, and now you want me to do something I have never done and am not at all comfortable with. Right. Smart. I'm gonna suck at it, thanks."

• Like 1