16 former Eagles nominated for 2021 Hall of Fame Induction

VaBeach_Eagle

QUARTERBACKS: Randall Cunningham,  Jeff Garcia,   Donovan McNabb

RUNNING BACKS: Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters.

TIGHT ENDS :  Keith Jackson

LINEBACKERS: Seth Joyner, Takeo Spikes

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Eric Allen (CB), Asante Samuel (DB),Troy Vincent (CB)

PUNTERS/KICKERS: David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Sean Landeta (P), 

SPECIAL TEAMS: Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB)

I think good cases could be made for several of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Eric Allen is long overdue. 

agreed. i'd love to see randall get in, but i just don't see it. mcnabb should def be in the conversation, but again, i don't see it happening. 

my last real gripe was carmichael. sucks he got in the year the ceremonies were cancelled. 

Joyner and Allen both deserve to be in -- the fact that Joyner gets as little consideration as he does is criminal

Put Joyner's stats up against Derrick Brooks and he's very comparable. Brooks has more tackles (1700 - 1123) but Brooks also played until 2008, and there were significantly more plays run per game IIRC.

They're dead on for interceptions (Brooks 25 / Seth 24),  Forced Fumbles (Brooks 24 / Seth 26), Defensive TDs (Brooks 7 / Seth 5) and Seth blows him away in sacks (Seth 52 / Brooks 13.5) and Fumble Recoveries (Seth 12 / Brooks 4).

Sure Brooks was a defensive captain when he got his SB ring (while I believe Seth got one as a veteran backup at Denver in 1997?) but that's not enough to put Brooks in the HOF and omit Seth.

• Like 5

Def think Allen and Joyner should be in. Ricky Watters has all the numbers that a back needs to be in too. You could argue for many of the guys on this list to be in the HOF. 

• Like 1

yeah would love to see seth get in too. i was just looking at his numbers and i agree he should get a serious look. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Def think Allen and Joyner should be in. Ricky Watters has all the numbers that a back needs to be in too. You could argue for many of the guys on this list to be in the HOF. 

But isn't this the case year after year?  There's a massive logjam of people who should be in but aren't because of the restricted numbers that can go in every year, people either deserve to be in or they don't,  you can't not put people in because you only let 8 a year in, or because some horses arse voters invented an unwritten rule of entry that you had to be a nice guy to the press throughout your career.

2 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Joyner and Allen both deserve to be in -- the fact that Joyner gets as little consideration as he does is criminal

Put Joyner's stats up against Derrick Brooks and he's very comparable. Brooks has more tackles (1700 - 1123) but Brooks also played until 2008, and there were significantly more plays run per game IIRC.

They're dead on for interceptions (Brooks 25 / Seth 24),  Forced Fumbles (Brooks 24 / Seth 26), Defensive TDs (Brooks 7 / Seth 5) and Seth blows him away in sacks (Seth 52 / Brooks 13.5) and Fumble Recoveries (Seth 12 / Brooks 4).

Sure Brooks was a defensive captain when he got his SB ring (while I believe Seth got one as a veteran backup at Denver in 1997?) but that's not enough to put Brooks in the HOF and omit Seth.

YES ^^^ Seth has always had comparable stats to many HOF linebackers (I have always felt he fit that Sam Huff rangy LB role) but Brooks is the best comp of them all.  I would also LOVE to see Allen get in, but I think next year is Charles Woodson's first year of eligibility and I would honestly take Woodson over Allen if I had to pick one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

PUNTERS/KICKERS: David Akers (K), Gary Anderson (K), Jeff Feagles (P), Sean Landeta (P), 

Eric Allen absolutely should be in, it is a crime that he is not.  

One of my favorite plays (ahem... shocking coming from someone named "EricAllenPick6 isn't it?)

I'd also put Keith Jackson in, sadly for many things he did after leaving Philly. 

52 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

YES ^^^ Seth has always had comparable stats to many HOF linebackers (I have always felt he fit that Sam Huff rangy LB role) but Brooks is the best comp of them all.  I would also LOVE to see Allen get in, but I think next year is Charles Woodson's first year of eligibility and I would honestly take Woodson over Allen if I had to pick one.

I think Woodson is eligible this yr as is Peyton Manning who's gonna walk in. Recency bias plays a huge role in this.

23 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

I think Woodson is eligible this yr as is Peyton Manning who's gonna walk in. Recency bias plays a huge role in this.

Yeah no kidding, Manning is all recency bias

On 9/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

agreed. i'd love to see randall get in, but i just don't see it. mcnabb should def be in the conversation, but again, i don't see it happening. 

my last real gripe was carmichael. sucks he got in the year the ceremonies were cancelled. 

If McNabb didnt nosedive his last 2 years in Washington and Minnesota then he'd more likely be in.  Those last 2 years were not good.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:25 AM, hoosierdaddy said:

As much as I love Seth Joyner he won't make the HOF. I appreciate your breakdowns of the stats but you also have to compare him to the era as well. You had the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Kevin Greene, Wilber Marshall (not in the HOF), Andre Tippett all playing OLB. Granted he had an amazing run for the 3 years he made the ProBowl (2x all pro) but you have to span it over his full career and the impact he made on the teams he played on. Brooks was an 11 time ProBowler and regarded as a top LB next to Ray Lewis not to mention he captained a SuperBowl winning team. Those aren't trivial things. Seth getting even on a ballot consideration is still a great accomplishment. But for me - Eric Allen definitely deserves it - if Ty Law made it so should he. The stats are very comparable.

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Allen one day. 
McNabb one day.....far from now.  

No one else.  Be serious.  

I don't think McNabb gets in, but I do think Seth should. He had a better career than Urlakkerz. Will he get in? I don't know, but he should. 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nah.  Too much McNabb hate over the years has clouded a lot of peoples judgement.  Seth....maybe.  But I dont see it.

I wouldn't say that hate would keep him out. I went through his career (back on the old EMB), and compared him (year by year) to the other QBs of his era. Too many of them had better careers than McNabb and will get in (or are already in). It's true that there's no 'quota' per position, but in general, only a small number per 'era' get in, and the numbers don't favor him. 

Another thing that's bad for McNabb is Eli Manning winning two rings and two SB MVP's. I wholeheartedly believe that McNabb was better than Manning, but those two rings will get Manning in, and McNabb's missing rings will likely keep him out. 

On 9/17/2020 at 5:06 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think good cases could be made for several of them. 

Basic Qualifiers that you need to stack: All-Pros, led-the-league-in-stuff, career totals, Pro Bowls, single season totals, championships, longevity

So... none of the QBs are getting in.

If it was truly the Pro Football Hall of Fame and not the NFL Hall of Fame, then Walker would be a lock. As it is Watters has a significantly better shot than Walker, but I still think he's on the outside looking in.

Keith Jackson falls short on stats... he never really led the league in anything. Although 3 All-Pros is strong... probably not enough.

Joyner should be a lock... but here is the weird thing: he was never an All-Pro... and only 3 Pro-Bowls. That is going to hurt. When you are never once considered the best at your position during your career... it hurts your chances. Only 3 Pro Bowls with no All-Pros is likely to keep him out. It means not enough people paid attention to him when he played to make much of an impact in voting.

EA... he's held in much higher regard by Eagles fans than the general populace. He was All-Pro once... although 6 Pro Bowls. There's a whole stack of guys that have to get in before he does... maybe too many. 

Samuel led the league in INTs for two different teams, championship, All-Pro. Probably gets in before EA does (one of the stack)

Vincent... really good corner. Just not quite HOF.

Statistically, Akers is in the same boat EA is in.. .nice career longevity but didn't lead the league in stuff enough. Not enough All-Pros

Landeta has extraordinary longevity, 3 All-Pros a couple of championship teams. He might be the next punter. Feagles and Gary Anderson have no shot.

Mitchells career totals are no joke... 4 #1s (kick returns & yards, punt returns and yards) also Top-5 all time in non-offense TDs (5th), and All-Purpose yards (2nd)

Probably: Mitchell

Maybe: Landeta, Watters, Jackson, Samuel

the rest: really good players, but probably just didn't do enough to get the votes

Allen should definitely be in. I think Akers will make it in eventually. Akers is one of the greatest kickers all-time.

I think Mitchell might make it in sometime in the future if they take special teamers more seriously. Hester should be a HoFamer as well. But as it stands special teamers (returners) and kickers/punters are often neglected.