The history of the Eagles starting 0-2 is not very encouraging for the 2020 team’s outlook

UK_EaglesFan89

The history of the Eagles starting 0-2 is not very encouraging for the 2020 team’s outlook

The context you didn’t want to see.

The Philadelphia Eagles are 0-2 after their first two games of the 2020 NFL season.

It’s too early to say the season is already over, though. Right?

Well ... maybe not.

As we pointed out prior to Eagles’ loss to the Los Angeles Rams, only about 12% of NFL teams that have started 0-2 since 2007 have gone on to make the playoffs.

Further, the history of the Eagles starting 0-2 just isn’t very encouraging. TAke a look, y’all:

History of the Eagles starting 0-2

Season Final record Post-season
2020 ? ?
2015 7-9 Missed playoffs
2007 8-8 Missed playoffs
2003 12-4 Lost in NFC Championship Game
1999 5-11 Missed playoffs
1998 3-13 Missed playoffs
1990 10-6 Lost in Wild Card Round
1986 5-10-1 Missed playoffs
1985 7-9 Missed playoffs
1978 9-7 Lost in Wild Card Round
1975 4-10 Missed playoffs
1972 2-11-1 Missed playoffs
1971 6-7-1 Missed playoffs
1970 3-10-1 Missed playoffs
1968 2-12 Missed playoffs
1962 3-10-1 Missed playoffs
1957 4-8 Missed playoffs
1940 1-10 Missed playoffs

So, the Eagles have started with an 0-2 record 17 times. They made the playoffs in just three out of those 17 seasons. And they won a playoff game (and only one game) in just one out of those 17 seasons.

It’s hard to completely rule out a Doug Pederson squad since we’ve seen him bring his teams out of holes before. But it’s also hard to feel positive about this 2020 group after watching them struggle over the first two weeks. There’s a real chance the Eagles just stink.

At the very least, we know history is not on their side.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/9/20/21448142/eagles-0-2-start-nfl-record-teams-history-philadelphia-playoffs-tank-carson-wentz-doug-pederson

I've made some pretty terrible predictions in the past. I've also had a couple of good ones.

I thought they'd lose last week to Washington with the OL injuries and injury to Sanders. I thought they'd lose yesterday because well... They aren't as good as the Rams.

But I do think this season is over. Do they have enough talent to pull out of this hole? Yeah they do. Look I don't think this roster is great but it is better than what they have shown the last 2 weeks. But this team seems to have no fight, no heart. They look like they've given up already. The D yesterday was terrible and they looked flat on the sidelines too. That is the biggest concern for this team. To get out of this hole they have to fight and they have to pull together and we just didn't see that yesterday.

• Like 1

This team is half a team and the half they have isn't playing well, starting with the QB

14 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

This team is half a team and the half they have isn't playing well, starting with the QB

Not sure it is half a team? They have a lot of injuries but they aren't missing that many.

Like we can't truly count Dillard because ultimately we have JP back at LT which is the same as last year. Sure we can argue that JP looks past it but then we don't know what we had in Dillard either.

Brooks is a loss there's no doubt about that.

Is Jeffrey a loss? Maybe, maybe not. Hargrave returned this week. The corners are all healthy (or were heading in to the game against LA), the DL was healthy bar Curry, the secondary is missing Will Parks but again we don't know what we actually have in Parks. All of the RBs are healthy, all of the TEs are healthy. All of the QBs are healthy.

When you are horrible for years  at recognizing college talent, it eventually catches up to you.  We are there now.  We have very little young talent other than Sanders and Goeddard.  Our best players are old and most are in steep decline.  You can only delay it for so long with free agents. This party is over.  It's time for a re build and with someone new to make our draft selections.  At the deadline and in the off season we need to be sellers.  Acquire more picks, shed salary, start over.  Thank God we won it all.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, weko said:

When you are horrible for years  at recognizing college talent, it eventually catches up to you.  We are there now.  We have very little young talent other than Sanders and Goeddard.  Our best players are old and most are in steep decline.  You can only delay it for so long with free agents. This party is over.  It's time for a re build and with someone new to make our draft selections.  At the deadline and in the off season we need to be sellers.  Acquire more picks, shed salary, start over.  Thank God we won it all.

Bingo. This is why Howie kept bringing back the older proven players. We never sufficiently replaced them through young talent and so he had to keep restructuring deals and bringing guys back. Ultimately that's led to us kicking the cap can down the road and now it is catching up with us. This is a bottom half of the league roster yet next year is waaaay over the cap.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bingo. This is why Howie kept bringing back the older proven players. We never sufficiently replaced them through young talent and so he had to keep restructuring deals and bringing guys back. Ultimately that's led to us kicking the cap can down the road and now it is catching up with us. This is a bottom half of the league roster yet next year is waaaay over the cap.

So between the missing guys and the guys who just aren't good enough, it's like they have about a half a roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

So between the missing guys and the guys who just aren't good enough, it's like they have about a half a roster.

Yeah that's completely fair bud. Sorry I missed that in your point.

• Like 1

At this point I'm leaning towards hoping my prediction of a week 10 cancelation of the season actually happens. 

7 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

At this point I'm leaning towards hoping my prediction of a week 10 cancelation of the season actually happens. 

Why? Because at that point we have be in possession of the #1 pick and a cancellation prevents us messing that up with an end of season 4 game winning streak... 

• Haha 2

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why? Because at that point we have be in possession of the #1 pick and a cancellation prevents us messing that up with an end of season 4 game winning streak... 

That was just my prediction a while ago because of covid. With the way this teams playing they kind of need to be taken out Ol Yeller style. 

• Like 1

If Wentz would pull his head out of his arse and start playing the ball he is capable of ... like that 4 game home stretch to end last season after that embarrassing performance against Miami ... I actually would like our chances of making the playoffs.  It all hinges on him getting his act together and not waiting until the final quarter of the season to play the way we know he can.  But even if we were to make the playoffs, I highly doubt we make any noise ... we'd likely be one and done (yet again).  We definitely do not have the horses to compete with Seattle, GB, NO in the conference (and heck I'm even starting to think the Cardinals now too).  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

If Wentz would pull his head out of his arse and start playing the ball he is capable of ... like that 4 game home stretch to end last season after that embarrassing performance against Miami ... I actually would like our chances of making the playoffs.  It all hinges on him getting his act together and not waiting until the final quarter of the season to play the way we know he can.  But even if we were to make the playoffs, I highly doubt we make any noise ... we'd likely be one and done (yet again).  We definitely do not have the horses to compete with Seattle, GB, NO in the conference (and heck I'm even starting to think the Cardinals now too).  

And this is exactly why I am embracing the pain and accepting that this team just isn't that good and is likely set for a season that ends in a high draft pick. It's time to rebuild. Getting in to the play offs through the back door just hurts our draft position to be honest. We need to rebuild this team and to do that we need higher draft picks (and of course to use those picks wisely).

If they lose to the Bengals, they will then get embarrassed by the Niners, Steelers and Ravens. 0-6 is a real possibility. At that point, you sit Wentz down for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

If they lose to the Bengals, they will then get embarrassed by the Niners, Steelers and Ravens. 0-6 is a real possibility. At that point, you sit Wentz down for the rest of the season. 

Do you? I mean I don't completely disagree but I'm playing devil's advocate here. What good does that do?

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you? I mean I don't completely disagree but I'm playing devil's advocate here. What good does that do?

Listen if you start 0-6 with Wentz playing the way he is, then that completely solidifies in my mind that he is NOT the answer at QB. So yes, at 0-6 (or potentially 1-5) I would bench him if he keeps playing like garbage. What good does it do? You get a look at Hurts and see what the offense could like like with him in there. Get him plenty of experience in less meaningful games. 

4 hours ago, nipples said:

Listen if you start 0-6 with Wentz playing the way he is, then that completely solidifies in my mind that he is NOT the answer at QB. So yes, at 0-6 (or potentially 1-5) I would bench him if he keeps playing like garbage. What good does it do? You get a look at Hurts and see what the offense could like like with him in there. Get him plenty of experience in less meaningful games. 

I just don't see it. The second you bench Wentz for Hurts I'm not sure there's anyway back. 

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't see it. The second you bench Wentz for Hurts I'm not sure there's anyway back. 

Ok... and? If he’s playing like crap to the point where this team is 1-5 or 0-6, then we don’t want to go back. It’s do or die time to me.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Ok... and? If he’s playing like crap to the point where this team is 1-5 or 0-6, then we don’t want to go back. It’s do or die time to me.

They aren't going to bench Wentz after 6 games after the contract they've given him. It just isn't going to happen. 

All I know is that unless they go winless, this goddamned tie is gonna F up their draft position, as it forces them behind everyone else with the same number of wins. I hate ties.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

All I know is that unless they go winless, this goddamned tie is gonna F up their draft position, as it forces them behind everyone else with the same number of wins. I hate ties.

Ties are completely pointless that does no team any good really. They should just play until they have a winner or find another way of deciding the outcome.

Perhaps some kind of red zone shoot out or something.