Sorry, Carson, now might actually be the time to panic

UK_EaglesFan89

Sorry, Carson, now might actually be the time to panic

Carson Wentz said it a few times on Sunday afternoon. Whether or not he truly believes it is another thing.

Because I’m not so sure I do.

"We’re not panicking,” Wentz said after the Eagles’ 37-19 loss to the Rams to drop them to 0-2 for the first time in his career. "The sky is not falling.”

But what if the sky is falling? Or what if it’s at least starting to?

Because the Eagles were again outplayed on Sunday. Their fifth-year quarterback is making way too many mental mistakes. Their coaching staff is getting out-coached. Their star players aren’t making big plays. Their defense lacks discipline, their offense lacks consistency.

The Eagles are 0-2 and they’ve earned every bit of that record.

So it’s just two games. I get that. I get that the Eagles shouldn’t panic nor should they give up. But they damn sure better have a sense of urgency. And this idea that they’re one or two plays away, just have to clean some stuff up, just isn’t true.

Does this team look like one that is thaaaaat close — holding index finger and thumb a millimeter apart — from turning this thing around?

Wentz thinks so. At least that’s what he’s saying.

"Turning the ball over is really killing us the last two weeks,” the quarterback said. "Those are the things we know we can clean up. But other than that, we truly feel that we’re right there. We’re just missing some things, timing of some things. We’re not panicking. We know what we have to clean up, and we will.”

They’re right there. Just some stuff to clean up. A few plays.

Rinse, repeat.

You know the typical spiel.

But the Eagles are 0-2 and after a game against the Bengals next week (and even that game isn’t a gimme), the Eagles play the 49ers, Steelers, Ravens and then three straight in the division. So maybe they’re just 0-2 right now but how far are they away from being a 1-5 team?

At this point, I’m not sure what’s more likely: That they do get all their issues cleaned up or that this season starts to spiral.

The Eagles have had their backs against the wall in recent seasons. They were 4-6 and made the playoffs in 2018, they were 5-7 and made the playoffs in 2019. Maybe this team has conditioned itself to think they can climb out of any hole … hey, maybe they can. But where does that really get you? Into the playoffs with a 9-7 record? That can’t be the goal.

And all the talk from players about panicking surely hasn’t helped Eagles fans from panicking themselves. I certainly understand why. Because through two games, this isn’t a very good football team.

"It’s very simple,” Miles Sanders said. "We just got to get back to being us and stop doing too much and just play Eagles football."

The scariest part about these two losses: What if this is Eagles football?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-rams-carson-wentz-panic-loss-sky-falling-nfl-week-2ica

I wouldn't expect Carson to say anything else. He isn't going to talk about our season being over and the sky falling in... But inside I think he must be worried because this could really spiral out of control. I mean even if they do beat Cincy next week they then face the Niners, Steelers and Ravens! They face the Packers and Saints later in the season. They still have to play Dallas twice which to be honest looks like losses because their offense will feast on our defense.

But the Eagles are 0-2 and after a game against the Bengals next week (and even that game isn’t a gimme), the Eagles play the 49ers, Steelers, Ravens and then three straight in the division. So maybe they’re just 0-2 right now but how far are they away from being a 1-5 team?

Wentz is delusional if he truly thinks "turning the ball over" (which is on him) is the sole reason we are 0-2.  His poor decision making, questionable (at best) accuracy, and holding on to the ball taking unnecessary sacks are also other issues with him that are part of the problem which when coupled with some overall team issues (questionable defensive play, poor play calling, star players not making any plays, etc.) also play a part.  

Anyone thinking the Bengals game is a sure win is also delusional.  Then with that 3 game stretch coming immediately after, there is a good chance this team is either 0-6 or 1-5.  If it does come to that I just hope that finally ends Howie's time here and they find a GM that has a real eye for talent.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Wentz is delusional if he truly thinks "turning the ball over" (which is on him) is the sole reason we are 0-2.  His poor decision making, questionable (at best) accuracy, and holding on to the ball taking unnecessary sacks are also other issues with him that are part of the problem which when coupled with some overall team issues (questionable defensive play, poor play calling, star players not making any plays, etc.) also play a part.  

Anyone thinking the Bengals game is a sure win is also delusional.  Then with that 3 game stretch coming immediately after, there is a good chance this team is either 0-6 or 1-5.  If it does come to that I just hope that finally ends Howie's time here and they find a GM that has a real eye for talent.  

All of the messaging from the organization to him is that he's all but a finished product. We see he's not, but where is the coach that'll chew his butt over mistakes and force him to improve his fundamentals? Oh yeah, coaching QB's in Chicago. Never mind.

22 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

All of the messaging from the organization to him is that he's all but a finished product. We see he's not, but where is the coach that'll chew his butt over mistakes and force him to improve his fundamentals? Oh yeah, coaching QB's in Chicago. Never mind.

How is it that in his 5th year he is regressing and you watch other, much younger players, some making their first or second career start, playing smarter football and outplaying him by such a wide margin??  That most definitely falls considerably on coaching.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

How is it that in his 5th year he is regressing and you watch other, much younger players, some making their first or second career start, playing smarter football and outplaying him by such a wide margin??  That most definitely falls considerably on coaching.

To be fair the one thing I'll say is that Wentz showed incredible poise and maturity in his first few games.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be fair the one thing I'll say is that Wentz showed incredible poise and maturity in his first few games.

He also had better coaching then. The expectations from him weren’t the same then as they are now. And if it’s true that Wentz doesn’t have the mental toughness that we need him to have, he didn’t have the weight of what he’s dealing with now to contend with back then. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He also had better coaching then. The expectations from him weren’t the same then as they are now. And if it’s true that Wentz doesn’t have the mental toughness that we need him to have, he didn’t have the weight of what he’s dealing with now to contend with back then. 

But... All those things point to a QB that is likely to struggle from here on out.

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But... All those things point to a QB that is likely to struggle from here on out.

That’s what I was getting at. That’s why he was more poised in 2016. The culmination of everything wasn’t on his shoulders then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s what I was getting at. That’s why he was more poised in 2016. The culmination of everything wasn’t on his shoulders then. 

No it wasn't. At that time it was just fresh hope and optimism from us fans that we'd found a new shiny franchise QB. No expectations at that time.

I think the impact Chase Daniel and McCown had on Carson is showing in his preparation. They used to meet him early in the morning to study film, now he’s the vet QB and maybe he isn’t being pushed as hard to study. 

Also, if kill kill continues to be a run to the right I’m gonna kill kill myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I think the impact Chase Daniel and McCown had on Carson is showing in his preparation. They used to meet him early in the morning to study film, now he’s the vet QB and maybe he isn’t being pushed as hard to study. 

Also, if kill kill continues to be a run to the right I’m gonna kill kill myself. 

Charting the Eagles offense this year doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. There's a lot of repeats going on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Charting the Eagles offense this year doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. There's a lot of repeats going on.

I was more so talking about him studying the defense but that’s a good point. 

If it wasn’t for the fact that they have a three game gauntlet against Pitt, Balt, and SF after this week, I’d say bench Wentz and just start Hurts if they manage to F up and lose to the Bengals. 
Can’t do that to a rookie though. 

On 9/21/2020 at 3:28 AM, time2rock said:

On 9/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, 20dawk4life said:

If that's case with Wentz, he would really need to get benched to get him back to reality.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

If it wasn’t for the fact that they have a three game gauntlet against Pitt, Balt, and SF after this week, I’d say bench Wentz and just start Hurts if they manage to F up and lose to the Bengals. 
Can’t do that to a rookie though. 

If Wentz doesn't play well against Bengals, Wentz would need to get benched.

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

If that's case with Wentz, he would really need to get benched to get him back to reality.

But let's be real here... They aren't benching Wentz. He could play badly all year and I'm not sure they bench him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But let's be real here... They aren't benching Wentz. He could play badly all year and I'm not sure they bench him. 

Agreed.  I don’t see Wentz getting benched any time soon.  Knock on wood, but I also don’t think he is going to continue to play as poorly as he has to warrant getting benched.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

Agreed.  I don’t see Wentz getting benched any time soon.  Knock on wood, but I also don’t think he is going to continue to play as poorly as he has to warrant getting benched.  

No agreed. One thing he's shown throughout his career is that he has good spells and he has had spells. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No agreed. One thing he's shown throughout his career is that he has good spells and he has had spells. 

Yep.  You hope to see a quote unquote "franchise QB” become more consistent as they progress from their earliest years (years 1-2).  Entering year 5, he just hasn’t - he’s still as inconsistent as he ever was (if not more inconsistent), and that is what is most disappointing to me.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yep.  You hope to see a quote unquote "franchise QB” become more consistent as they progress from their earliest years (years 1-2).  Entering year 5, he just hasn’t - he’s still as inconsistent as he ever was (if not more inconsistent), and that is what is most disappointing to me.  

And for me that's why I'm starting to move away from the Carson bandwagon. If he's not showing signs of that consistency by year 5 then he may never...

17 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I agree that choking against the Bengals is worthy of benching, but you can’t throw your second round rookie into the buzz saw against SF, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I agree that choking against the Bengals is worthy of benching, but you can’t throw your second round rookie into the buzz saw against SF, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 

I just think there needs to be some realism here. They aren't going to move on from Wentz this year. I doubt they will next year either. It'll be 2022 before they'd consider it. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just think there needs to be some realism here. They aren't going to move on from Wentz this year. I doubt they will next year either. It'll be 2022 before they'd consider it. 

I think you’re wrong. The drafting of Hurts had more to it than a gimmick or injury policy IMO. I believe that Howie and Doug both have concerns with the inconsistency that Wentz showed last year. 

Also the way Doug has answered some questions has lead me to believe he is getting frustrated with Carson. When he was asked point blank why Wentz seems to not be progressing, he didn’t try to put a positive spin on it, or act like there wasn’t a problem, he flat out said "That’s a good question...” I really think Doug is starting to doubt Wentz. 

And at 1-5 or 0-6, the season is a lost cause. I can 100% see Carson getting yanked if they get to that point and he’s still playing like garbage. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I think you’re wrong. The drafting of Hurts had more to it than a gimmick or injury policy IMO. I believe that Howie and Doug both have concerns with the inconsistency that Wentz showed last year. 

And that's fine, we are on a forum to debate. I just don't see them giving up on Wentz that soon. 

Panic isn't going to make the o line play better, or the reivers getting open against man coverage, or the RB holding onto the ball, or the QB throwing the ball on target or head coach helping out the rookie tackle or the d coordinator dialing up a blitz. 

it's more like quicksand.One thing goes wrong, and then another, and then another and the pretty soon your stuck, like quicksand.

Shane Falco - Hudl