10 Instant Observations on a head-shaking Week 2 Eagles loss to the Rams

UK_EaglesFan89

10 Instant Observations on a head-shaking Week 2 Eagles loss to the Rams

I’m sure the Eagles will talk all week about how it’s only two games and it’s still early and there’s plenty of football left to play.

Couple tweaks. Couple adjustments.

I don’t want to hear it.

Because this is a baaaaaaaad football team and whatever the rest of the NFC East is doing doesn't change that.

The quarterback looks lost. The defense looks shot. And the coach doesn’t seem to have any clue what to do about it.

The Eagles have lost their first two games by double digits for only the fifth time since 1936. And there’s no reason to think it’s going to get any better.

Here are our 10 Instant Observations off another horrifying Eagles loss, this one 37-19 to the Rams at the Linc.

1. It’s only Week 2, and I’m already running out of ways to say Carson Wentz was terrible. He was. Again. He’s just not a good quarterback right now. The pivotal play this time was his 3rd-quarter interception, misfiring into double coverage to J.J. Arcega-Whiteside in the end zone on a 1st-and-10 from the Rams’ 21-yard-line. Again, Wentz is in Year 5. He has to understand you don’t throw a high-risk tight-window pass like that on first down with the game on the line. The Eagles had a great chance to take the lead there, but Darious Williams picked him off, ending the threat. Wentz’s biggest problem so far this year has been poor decision making. Yeah, he's missing guys all over the place, but the scariest thing is he's just not playing smart football. He’s awful right now.

2. And I get that you want to try and neutralize Aaron Donald by getting rid of the ball quick, but how about SOMETHING down the field? The Eagles’ longest pass play was a 25-yarder to DeSean Jackson, and the only other real shot down the field was the Wentz INT. The whole theme of the offseason was bringing in all this speed, and then you never even try to use any of it.

3. The defense? They had a built-in excuse last weekend. Short drives and all that. We gave ‘em a pass. But no more passes. This was just brutal defense. This unit has now allowed 64 points in two games, and that’s the most they’ve allowed after two games since 1971. There’s not one guy on this defense that played well Sunday. Not one guy that earned his paycheck. They don’t get sacks. They don’t get turnovers. They don’t stop the run. They let guys run wide open all over the field. And just when the offense trimmed the lead to five early in the fourth quarter, on the FIRST play of the next drive, they give up a 40-yard run to a backup with a career 3.6 average that never had a run in his career longer than 22 yards. Inexcusable.

4. And maybe someday getting rid of Malcolm Jenkins will make sense, but right now? You just have to wonder what the Eagles were thinking cutting ties with their unquestioned leader and one of their best players. When a team is facing those critical moments in a game or a season, it looks to a guy like Malcolm for guidance and leadership and answers. They just don’t have that guy anymore.

5. And the heart of this defense is supposed to be the interior of the defensive line. This is the highest-paid d-line in the NFL, and they’re sure not playing like it. Fletcher Cox in particular has been big-time disappointing, certainly not playing like a five-time Pro Bowler. Has he made a notable play this year?

6. As bad as this was, have to mention how good Miles Sanders looked in his season debut. Makes you wonder if he should have been playing last week. Miles overcame a sluggish start and a bad fumble to finish 20-for-95 rushing with a TD and three catches for 36 yards.

7. Here's the scariest thing about where this team is right now: Sanders and Reagor are really the only young players you can get excited about. Maybe some of the young defensive guys will become stars, but right now this is a team in a youth movement whose best players are older. That's not a good place to be.

8. Five truly disturbing numbers:

1. Rams rushing yards: 191
  2. Eagles interceptions in the last 12 games: 3
  3. Carson Wentz’s 2020 passer rating: 64.4
  4. Rams total yards: 452
  5. Carson Wentz now has four interceptions in two games. Last year he threw his 4th interception in the Eagles' 10th game.

9. I hate going for 2 after the second-quarter TD made it 21-9. Hate it. Don’t chase points with 39 minutes to play. Ever. Terrible, terrible decision by Doug.

10. There was a play with about 4 ½ minutes left where Goff found himself with some open field in the left flat and just kind of jogged 10 yards for a first down – his longest run since Week 6 of 2018. It was notable because he wasn’t even trying to gain yards, he was just looking for a place to go down and stop the clock and no defender was within like 30 yards of him. That’s just embarrassing. That play really symbolizes where this team is right now. Goff wasn't even TRYING to get positive yards, and he gained 10. That's bad.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/10-instant-observations-head-shaking-week-2-eagles-loss-rams

• Like 2

I think Mills played decent. Saved a big play at one point when NRC lost his guy in motion. 

The amount of money on that dline is disturbing. Last year we gave the excuse of all the injuries to the DTs. This year we heard excuses before the games started that the injuries to the DE position would cause the line to be bad. Well I'm pretty sure everyone besides Vinny Curry is healthy now, so that excuse can kiss my arse. Too many people got paid and lazy. Entire team lost the dog in them but the dline especially did. 

Buy me some corner and LBs I don't care I feel Schwartz ever comes back cause he sucks sucks sucks giant D. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

The amount of money on that dline is disturbing. Last year we gave the excuse of all the injuries to the DTs. This year we heard excuses before the games started that the injuries to the DE position would cause the line to be bad. Well I'm pretty sure everyone besides Vinny Curry is healthy now, so that excuse can kiss my arse. Too many people got paid and lazy. Entire team lost the dog in them but the dline especially did

A DL that looks quite frankly awful! Hargrave deserves time to settle but the rest need to either buck up or get out. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A DL that looks quite frankly awful! Hargrave deserves time to settle but the rest need to either buck up or get out. 

Hargrave was being pushed around like a scrub. 

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I think Mills played decent. Saved a big play at one point when NRC lost his guy in motion. 

NRC should be replaced in the starting lineup with LeBlanc.  

The LBs should all be replaced with ... the ball boys.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The all 22 will tell us the real story, but at this point Mills, Gerry and Riley all seem like failed experiments.

Schwartz has consistently made poor choices in both scheme and personnel. Case in point, both LJ Fort and Rasul Douglas are ranked really highly by PFF (Fort has graded out exceptionally well.)

We dumped both those guys for Mills and Riley, who are both ranked extremely low.

So we have consistently put bad players on the filed in a bad scheme. So are we surprised the team has struggled?

Also, yesterday the Rams were giving us underneath throws to stop the deep ball, and we basically benched Ward, who is our best route runner and who would have killed the Rams yesterday.

It's just laughable how bad we are at game planning. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

LeBlanc looked decent yesterday too. 

7 hours ago, jsb235 said:

The all 22 will tell us the real story, but at this point Mills, Gerry and Riley all seem like failed experiments.

Schwartz has consistently made poor choices in both scheme and personnel. Case in point, both LJ Fort and Rasul Douglas are ranked really highly by PFF (Fort has graded out exceptionally well.)

We dumped both those guys for Mills and Riley, who are both ranked extremely low.

So we have consistently put bad players on the filed in a bad scheme. So are we surprised the team has struggled?

Also, yesterday the Rams were giving us underneath throws to stop the deep ball, and we basically benched Ward, who is our best route runner and who would have killed the Rams yesterday.

It's just laughable how bad we are at game planning. 

Ward wasn't a Howie draft pick.  Preference is given to draft picks at all costs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yes Le Blanc is a much better option outside, but he wasn't a Howie draft pick.  Howie's picks will be given PT over others no matter the result

46 minutes ago, weko said:

Yes Le Blanc is a much better option outside, but he wasn't a Howie draft pick.  Howie's picks will be given PT over others no matter the result

Inside.  But I suppose NRC may still be getting used to a new defensive scheme.  Still, we already had LeBlanc and Maddox as nickel backs ... if anything we should have added competition to Jones and Douglas for that 2nd outside spot.  Most of us already knew neither were going to cut it.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Inside.  But I suppose NRC may still be getting used to a new defensive scheme.  Still, we already had LeBlanc and Maddox as nickel backs ... if anything we should have added competition to Jones and Douglas for that 2nd outside spot.  Most of us already knew neither were going to cut it.  

Yes neither is a classic outside corner.  Both are best in the slot but we only have 1 outside corner on the roster, unless we move Mills there.  That's what happens when your 2nd & 3rd round corners both bust and you don't bring in anyone else

6 hours ago, weko said:

Yes neither is a classic outside corner.  Both are best in the slot but we only have 1 outside corner on the roster, unless we move Mills there.  That's what happens when your 2nd & 3rd round corners both bust and you don't bring in anyone else

To be fair I think I'd move Mills back to outside corner. Not because he isn't working at Safety (I think given time perhaps he will) but because I just don't rate Maddox there AT ALL. I think Mills opposite Slay could actually be a decent #2, he'd certainly be an upgrade over Maddox.

7 hours ago, weko said:

I think CB needs to be addressed in much the same way we did WR in this year’s draft ... early and often.  DE could use the same approach.  I just wish someone else was making the picks to give us a better chance at hitting on some.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think CB needs to be addressed in much the same way we did WR in this year’s draft ... early and often.  DE could use the same approach.  I just wish someone else was making the picks to give us a better chance at hitting on some.  

The trouble is we have so many issues. I mean basically they have to go BPA because at this point that's what this roster needs. We need DE, we need CB, we need LB. Hell lets not rule out WR either because that's still a need beyond this year. 

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The trouble is we have so many issues. I mean basically they have to go BPA because at this point that's what this roster needs. We need DE, we need CB, we need LB. Hell lets not rule out WR either because that's still a need beyond this year. 

I think it's time for a complete re build.  I'd be an eager seller at the deadline.  Ertz and Cox have the most value.  Might be some 4th round interest in Barnett and Graham.  Maybe a 5 or 6 for Jackson and Mills. On O we need everything.  Kelce will retire.  Peters has to go too.  If Brooks can come back we still need a LG & LT.  Sem will move to C.  Need a TE with Ertz traded.  A big RB or 2, Jeffrey, Jackson & JJ all gone, we need some WRs that can actually run routes.  On D we need everything.  Maybe Curry returns, we need 2 DEs, 3 LBs, 2 outside CBs, a S or 2.  It's rebuild time and someone new has to make the picks.  For that to happen and Lurie to wake up from his gold standard slumber, we need a crash and burn this year.  This party is over.  Sure was great to finally win the SB.  We'll always have that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, weko said:

I think it's time for a complete re build.  I'd be an eager seller at the deadline.  Ertz and Cox have the most value.  Might be some 4th round interest in Barnett and Graham.  Maybe a 5 or 6 for Jackson and Mills. On O we need everything.  Kelce will retire.  Peters has to go too.  If Brooks can come back we still need a LG & LT.  Sem will move to C.  Need a TE with Ertz traded.  A big RB or 2, Jeffrey, Jackson & JJ all gone, we need some WRs that can actually run routes.  On D we need everything.  Maybe Curry returns, we need 2 DEs, 3 LBs, 2 outside CBs, a S or 2.  It's rebuild time and someone new has to make the picks.  For that to happen and Lurie to wake up from his gold standard slumber, we need a crash and burn this year.  This party is over.  Sure was great to finally win the SB.  We'll always have that.

Agreed it is time for a complete rebuild. I mean if we look at the roster what area's don't need major changes?

QB though that is a little up in the air at the moment but this team simply aren't going to move on from Wentz in the next year or two I just can't see it. TE they have Goedert and they can find a solid #2 either in the middle or later rounds or through FA. LG is fine if Semualo stays at LG (which I think he will) but they need a C to replace Kelce when he retires. LT is potentially a need but I think they should give Dillard more time (especially if there is a complete rebuild and the coaches change... Could mean a different scheme which may suit Dillard). RG and RT are set as Brooks will be back, Lane isn't going anywhere and we have Pryor who I believe can be a good long term RG plus there's Driscoll who did OK on his first NFL start. And then RB is fine too. We have Sanders, we have Scott and we can always bring in a cheap FA or young guy as the #3.

We absolutely need to address DE, LB, CB, S, C and potentially DT too! Oh and we aren't out of the woods with WR either because although Reagor looks really good, JJAW looks to be a bust and Hightower / Watkins may prove to be decent WR #4 but probably not much more than that.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it is as close to a lock that Jeffery is not here in 2021.  DJax likely isn't here either but not as close to a lock as Jeffery.  That leaves a WR group with JJAW and Ward as the "vets" along with the 3 x 2020 draft picks (Reagor, Hightower, Watkins) and any UDFAs that made the roster (or were brought back from last year's PS) competing for roster spots.  I agree WR is not completely set but the level of attention that group needs really is TBD (depends on the development of those 3 draft picks more than anything ... I am already giving up what little faith I had in JJAW turning in a solid sophomore year - he is likely another Sidney Jones 2nd rd bust).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I think it is as close to a lock that Jeffery is not here in 2021.  DJax likely isn't here either but not as close to a lock as Jeffery.  That leaves a WR group with JJAW and Ward as the "vets" along with the 3 x 2020 draft picks (Reagor, Hightower, Watkins) and any UDFAs that made the roster (or were brought back from last year's PS) competing for roster spots.  I agree WR is not completely set but the level of attention that group needs really is TBD (depends on the development of those 3 draft picks more than anything ... I am already giving up what little faith I had in JJAW turning in a solid sophomore year - he is likely another Sidney Jones 2nd rd bust).  

Yeah I think Jeffrey is gone! Hell he should be because this roster needs a restart so he needs to be gone. Jackson probably will be too although I agree there is a small chance he is back as a veteran presence. Other than that we have 3 rookies all of which are trying to find their feet. Reagor looks like he's going to be a really good player but the other 2 we need to see. And then we have Ward and JJAW. I mean Ward is fine, he's solid and that's all we need from the slot but JJAW? Looks a bust there so he likely is cut especially if there are changes at GM and perhaps the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed it is time for a complete rebuild. I mean if we look at the roster what area's don't need major changes?

QB though that is a little up in the air at the moment but this team simply aren't going to move on from Wentz in the next year or two I just can't see it.

We aren't doing anything at QB in terms of changing. If anything, the team will restructure Wentz this year to save cap room for next year and ensure he is here for the next three seasons. He needs to play better, but I am sure he will.

TE they have Goedert and they can find a solid #2 either in the middle or later rounds or through FA.

The big decision is Ertz. IMO, they need to use this year to see if Wentz can thrive in an offense with Ertz, Goedert, WR1 (Reagor) and WR2 (TBD). If the offense starts playing well, we keep Ertz. If not, we can move him and move forward with a 3wr offense of Reagor, Ward and Hightower/JJAW/Watkins/TBD.

LG is fine if Semualo stays at LG (which I think he will) but they need a C to replace Kelce when he retires. LT is potentially a need but I think they should give Dillard more time (especially if there is a complete rebuild and the coaches change... Could mean a different scheme which may suit Dillard). RG and RT are set as Brooks will be back, Lane isn't going anywhere and we have Pryor who I believe can be a good long term RG plus there's Driscoll who did OK on his first NFL start.

Herbig has been great. Driscoll is solid. Mailata, in a limited role, showed he has a lot of promise. Pryor was solid. Oline is the least of our worries. Driscoll, Herbig or Seumalo can play center, all solid options.

And then RB is fine too. We have Sanders, we have Scott and we can always bring in a cheap FA or young guy as the #3.

Plus the rookie we poached from the Lions. We are fine.

We absolutely need to address DE, LB, CB, S,

We need to see what we have in Edwards, Singleton, Bradley and Taylor at LB. Gerry and Riley need to be benched. They have shown who they are. We need to draft DE, DT and CB early next year. At safety, we should see how Parks does once he gets healthy and give Wallace a chance. We also have two promising prospects on the PS in Arnold (whom I don't like) and Riley (who I do.) Mills hasn't been great, but we should give him time.  

C and potentially DT too! Oh and we aren't out of the woods with WR either because although Reagor looks really good, JJAW looks to be a bust and Hightower / Watkins may prove to be decent WR #4 but probably not much more than that.

WR depends a lot on Ertz. If the team can run a 12 offense successfully, then WR isn't a need. If Wentz continues to struggle, we dump Ertz at the trade deadline and see what we have in the young guys. If they don't produce, it is a need. But I think Ward is a solid slot and Reagor can play the Z. So it is a matter of finding a decent X. Perhaps JJAW turns things around (looking less likely.) I would give Burnett a shot to see what he can do. I think Hightower is too raw at this point.

The team has a lot of questions. Hopefully the coaching staff realizes that the answers to these questions won't be revealed if they keep putting out the same wrong answers at positions like LB. Herbig and Pryor surprised us at guard when given the chance. Maybe Singleton and Edwards can do the same at LB, or Strap at slot corner or Burnett at WR. But we won't know if they don't get the chance.

• Like 1

I agree with most of this, but I disagree with the part about not a single player on defense playing well. Slay did his job. 

Im pretty sure he’s allowed only 6 catches for less than 50 yards and no TDs through two games. He has been as advertised. The rest of the secondary has been trash. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Slay did his job. 

Maybe he did but there were still a couple of plays where he gave up easy completions for first downs.