Infams final mock 2020

Infam

So, the Eagles looked at the roster and came to the conclusion: We were just unlucky. We had all we needed but if we can add some key pieces now this will take off. 

And that is where I see them: Going all in on 2020. So what we are looking for is young star difference makers. Even writing this I see how this is a challenge. So I went and robbed the Jags of not one, but two of their best players. Combined with a trade up, this leaves us without a pick in the first two rounds next year! Rioooooot!!!! 

As for the draft: This is a great class with top talent at WR, means to me the top three will be gone super early. That's what I expect. Means the trade ideas you see circulating now are realistic if you want to trade up… for Ruggs. And I am fine with it. He is just what we need, and he will be worth it!

TRADE: Eagles #21, Eagles #146, 2021 second rounder (#64), Rasul Douglas ---->>>  Jets #11

TRADE: Eagles #53, Eagles #168, Eagles 2021 first rounder (#32), Eagles 2022 second (#64) ----->>> Jaguars #42, Ngakoue, Fournette

CONTRACT: Ngakoue (25) - 5 years, 110 M$ (55M guaranteed), Fournette (25) - extended 3 years, 42 M$ (30M guaranteed), Trey Burton (28) for 3 years, 18M$ (6M guaranteed)

DRAFT:

#11    Henry Ruggs III        So there we go. He has the speed we need, he can run routes, super safe hands! If we want a top WR out of this draft, you have to give something to get there. Pairing him with Wentz will be worth it. In this trade we managed to give a second next year because Joe Douglas likes Rasul Douglas enough to make it happen. I see them having had big arguments where Douglas wanted to stay or trade down and Roseman up, so this is an easy sell between these two.

Ruggs' speed alone helps both the running and passing games because it forces safeties into more passive positioning. He can work all three levels and his ability to turn slants and crossing routes into big gainers could make him the favorite gift under the tree for a quarterback and offense in need of an explosive weapon. He has quick, sure hands to handle off-target throws, but learning to release, separate and catch against physical NFL cornerbacks could require an adjustment period. He won't rack up the targets, but has explosive speed and talent to imprint on games with regularity.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/henry-ruggsiii?id=32195255-4731-8217-5970-b4a47789eeaf

#42    Cesar Ruiz                If there is a weak spot on the Offense apart from WR, it has to be LG. Ruiz could be a really good LG right away, plus he can play C if need be. I like Seumalo, but I like him better as a flexible player on the bench behind elite players. And to get the best interior lineman we probably have to do better than 53. Because he is: The best interior lineman in the draft. Followed by Kindley if you ask me. Anyways, drafting him could really take our line to another level and comes with the added benefit that we might be jumping Dallas to get the guy they wanted… Sounds familiar?

Athletic and tenacious with the combination of skills and technique to fit into a variety of blocking schemes on the next level. Ruiz wins early with initial quickness and fast hands into first contact. He works to convert early advantages into wins. He's consistent in securing down-blocks and has the athletic traits to become a second-level factor. He'll give some ground to power rushers and needs help against wide-bodies, but the tape checks out. Ruiz has early starting potential and should develop into a good pro with guard/center flexibility.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cesar-ruiz?id=32195255-4941-5291-5447-fa1de6f9c62b

#103  Jalen Hurts             Nobody truly knows where he will end up, might be early second - who knows. From what I have seen many seem to think he may be third to fourth. And I promise: At that point he may be the steal of the century. I am serious, I think this guy can be somebody. And to have him as the backup on a cheap deal? It's perfect. Maybe he never plays, but he might. And to then see what he can do - so worth this third round comp pick. Hurts actually reminds a bit of Lamar Jackson. And don't you tell me that's too much pressure for Wentz, he has to deal with having a good backup.

Like Tim Tebow, Hurts is a winning dual-threat quarterback known for his strength, toughness and character. Hurts is a more accurate passer and better runner than Tebow but is inconsistent as a decision-maker and tends to break the pocket when throws are there to be made. His deep-ball touch and intermediate accuracy improved this year so teams may see him as a developmental talent who will keep getting better in the right scheme. He'll struggle to beat NFL defenses from the pocket, but his ability to grind out yards on the ground and make off-schedule plays should make him a solid backup with upward mobility.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-hurts?id=32194855-5276-7022-85cf-a74490936f42

#127  K.J. Hill                    Well, he probably is not the most exciting WR. Ran a 4.6 in the 40.. But still, he is a good route runner and can catch it. I can see him to share snaps with Ward in the slot. And in the screen game he has proven to be very effective. For fourth round he offers safe value, which is what I want for this upcoming season. Has been the teams punt returner before, too!

Words like "dependable," "reliable," and "consistent" work well to describe Ohio State's all-time catch leader. He's a slot worker who is most effective in space, where his route savvy and sticky hands can make their mark. He's not sudden or special with the ball in his hands underneath and won't stretch defenses vertically, so the routes may need to go from good to great for him to become more than a solid backup.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k.j.-hill?id=32194849-4c47-7511-2479-7d5ec248bc17          

#145  Darrynton Evans    Ok, I just like a good rushing offense. Guilty! Given the concussion situation, I applaud the approach of the Eagles. Even more, it can keep everybody fresh, gives us options. Now with Sanders and Fournette to be perfect lightning and thunder, you add Scott and Evans as change of pace committee backs that are viable if not good options as pass catchers. And Evans is just a very dynamic, explosive back. He would complete a RB group for the ages. Does return kicks.

Slashing outside-zone runner with glide in his stride and ability to run with elusiveness and creativity. Evans is a little undersized and might be viewed as a change-of-pace option, but he appears to have the three-down skill set to handle committee carries. He can run with patience, but has the loose hips and agile feet to plant-and-go in a hurry. He sees the field and does a nice job of setting up and eluding tacklers with lateral cuts or stacked moves. While he's confident in space, Evans lacks the commitment and finishing force to make a living inside the tackles. His third-down and kick-return versatility increases the likelihood that Evans will hear his name called in the middle rounds with a chance to become a solid RB2.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darrynton-evans?id=32194556-4111-6537-4adc-98552053123e

#190  Harrison Hand     The Eagles decided to see how Jones and Maddox will look when Slay is on the field, yet adding another CB late is just based on experience, given how many injuries happen at that position. His 4.52 at 5'11" combined with 7.15 3-cone have him here in the sixth, but 41 vert and 125 broad already suggest he has got some juice..

Outside cornerback with good size, but a player who needs to find the proper coverage fit to help him do his job. Hand has played press, off-man and a variety of zones. His recognition and response from zone is adequate, but he doesn't have the necessary transition quickness and burst to stay close enough with NFL-caliber targets. Hand is fairly competitive and disciplined in coverage, but the skill level appears to be average. He might have a future as a backup for a zone-heavy cover team, but he needs to improve his run support and prove he can handle some special teams duties.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/harrison-hand?id=32194841-4e08-7670-8c75-613df27ebdb4

So, in the end I am adding Ruggs and Fournette to our offense and Slay and Ngakoue to our defense. I really like the day two and three picks here too. Now obviously we lose a first and second next year. And another second in 2022. Plus we would pay Fournette and Ngakoue, which means we once again won't have much wiggle room under the cap. Yes, that is a whole damn lot. But please, we did accomplish our goal to add young stars to make a run THIS season. And that has to be the goal after how well we did with an unreal amount of injuries last year.

OFFENSE:

Jeffery, JJaw, DJax, Ruggs, Ward, Hill

Sanders, Fournette, Scott, Evans

Ertz, Goedert, Burton

Dillard, Ruiz, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Seumalo, Pryor, Mailata

Wentz, Hurts, Sudfeld

DEFENSE:

Ngakoue, Barnett, Graham, Sweat, Miller

Cox, Hargrave, Jackson, Ridgeway, Rush

Edwards, Gerry, Brown, Singleton

Slay, Maddox, Jones, Hand, NRC, LeBlanc

McLeod, Parks, Mills, Ford

Ooh there's elements of this I love, but there are elements I don't love so much. I mean I like the trade ideas and getting Yannick would be great. I love the pick up of Ruggs but then I'm not so sure about our next 2 picks? I mean C is a need yes but at #42? And then a back up QB with our next pick?

• Like 1

I ❤️ Fantasy...

This is exactly what we needed so close to the real thing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ooh there's elements of this I love, but there are elements I don't love so much. I mean I like the trade ideas and getting Yannick would be great. I love the pick up of Ruggs but then I'm not so sure about our next 2 picks? I mean C is a need yes but at #42? And then a back up QB with our next pick?

I get it. And I was tempted to take my favorite WR Reagor there at 42, for sure! So that shows you how much I value Ruiz in our line. I believe backup QB is underrated.

Love Wentz, but at this point I want a backup that has some potential.

I wouldn't be shocked if both Ruiz and Hurts end up getting picked earlier than that, though.. 

You nailed the Hurst pick! 👊🏻

Howie probably never received your memo that we could have had Hurst in the 3rd. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Howie probably never received your memo that we could have had Hurst in the 3rd. 😂

I mean for them to be that concerned that he wouldn't of made it to them in the third? So freaking what if he doesn't. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean for them to be that concerned that he wouldn't of made it to them in the third? So freaking what if he doesn't. 

Still pissed bud?

6 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Still pissed bud?

I now have a more balanced view of it but I still don't fully understand it. The draft overall appears good on paper, but that pick was a bad pick.

13 hours ago, Ray75 said:

He knew that was a possibility though. He made that whole example where he learned from his mistakes and how it doesn't matter to pick a guy in the second if you really think he will change your team for the better… So this was him saying he could've gambled on him falling a bit more, but didn't.

30 minutes ago, Infam said:

He knew that was a possibility though. He made that whole example where he learned from his mistakes and how it doesn't matter to pick a guy in the second if you really think he will change your team for the better… So this was him saying he could've gambled on him falling a bit more, but didn't.

But Hurts doesn't change the team for the better that is the issue. The best case scenario is that Hurts never plays. The worst case scenario is that Wentz goes down long term again and then we have all sorts of issues.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But Hurts doesn't change the team for the better that is the issue. The best case scenario is that Hurts never plays. The worst case scenario is that Wentz goes down long term again and then we have all sorts of issues.

Yes, if the world was all black and white. But not only are you prepared better for the worst case. What if something happens like last season:

Wentz gets a concussion, misses some time - but will return if there is a season to return to?

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Yes, if the world was all black and white. But not only are you prepared better for the worst case. What if something happens like last season:

Wentz gets a concussion, misses some time - but will return if there is a season to return to?

You aren't prepared for the world case though because we don't know how ready Hurts will be this year! I've asked before and I will ask again, how can you be so sure he will be ready to go?

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You aren't prepared for the world case though because we don't know how ready Hurts will be this year! I've asked before and I will ask again, how can you be so sure he will be ready to go?

There is no 100% certainty.

But with how his story is, how he made it work, with what I have seen him say and how he is preparing.. Well and with how he plays - I think he will be really good.

13 minutes ago, Infam said:

There is no 100% certainty.

But with how his story is, how he made it work, with what I have seen him say and how he is preparing.. Well and with how he plays - I think he will be really good.

With a round 2 QB, that was graded as a round 3 pick, there's no way we can say that with any certainty. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

With a round 2 QB, that was graded as a round 3 pick, there's no way we can say that with any certainty. 

He was graded from the first to the fourth. Nobody was really sure. But if you look at the coverage, most people seem to think that it was about the right spot for him.

Obviously no certainty. Might get hit by a meteor. All I say is I am pretty sure he will be very good.

50 minutes ago, Infam said:

He was graded from the first to the fourth. Nobody was really sure. But if you look at the coverage, most people seem to think that it was about the right spot for him.

Obviously no certainty. Might get hit by a meteor. All I say is I am pretty sure he will be very good.

Maybe it was. It was still a bad pick for this team. 

Maybe it was. It was still a bad pick for this team. 

Check out PFFs A-grade. They think it was a great draft and a really good pick too.

20 minutes ago, Infam said:

Check out PFFs A-grade. They think it was a great draft and a really good pick too.

Based on player ability perhaps it was. Based on what you should be doing in the draft that second round pick was a rotter.

Based on player ability perhaps it was. Based on what you should be doing in the draft that second round pick was a rotter.

I think they offered plenty of reasons why it made perfect sense for us.

Just now, Infam said:

I think they offered plenty of reasons why it made perfect sense for us.

It makes zero sense. I've said this before I will continue to say it. If you feel differently then great and that is your opinion. I am not going to change my view and you are not going to change yours. Lets see what happens down the line. Perhaps Wentz retires early and this pick is viewed differently. Perhaps they get a good return on him that blows us all away. Who knows, that doesn't change that right now I think this is a bad pick.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I now have a more balanced view of it but I still don't fully understand it. The draft overall appears good on paper, but that pick was a bad pick.

Looking back now I know they said they wanted to draft a qb every few years to develop they tried that last year later on and the dude didn’t even make the roster and went to the cowboys so I can see drafting one sooner.

we got some wrs later one that people were saying in other years could have been picked sooner. I think they looked at the deep draft at positions of need and thought let’s take our chance up here on getting a guy we have rated high.

i thought there was a good chance they drafted a Qb was thinking it would be later but if a guy they liked there wouldn’t even make the team then I can see the move better. I’ll be watching some of the other guys they showed interest in (if there is any type of normal football) to see how they do and what happens with them.

6 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Looking back now I know they said they wanted to draft a qb every few years to develop they tried that last year later on and the dude didn’t even make the roster and went to the cowboys so I can see drafting one sooner.

we got some wrs later one that people were saying in other years could have been picked sooner. I think they looked at the deep draft at positions of need and thought let’s take our chance up here on getting a guy we have rated high.

i thought there was a good chance they drafted a Qb was thinking it would be later but if a guy they liked there wouldn’t even make the team then I can see the move better. I’ll be watching some of the other guys they showed interest in (if there is any type of normal football) to see how they do and what happens with them.

if there is any type of normal football...

You hit the nail right on the head there.

Might be no college season either and if that happens, how would a draft next year look like? Will there even be one?!

In that light, the Hurts pick might become an extremely important one, even in the 2nd. Whether you view it as an insurance policy for Wentz or a trade chip for the future...

In time with possibly no college season this year and draft the next, QB needy teams might be looking at the Eagles and think; hey, they have two good ones! Maybe we should give Howie a call?!

In the mean time, we can develop Hurts, give him a couple of snaps here and there and maybe use him in a Taysom Hill role from time to time...

• Like 1