My greatest fear about the Eagles’ 2020 season

UK_EaglesFan89

Just now, brkmsn said:

I stated earlier that pessimists always see themselves as realists. I don't wholeheartedly agree with your positional analysis. Our D-Line is very good and just needs to be out there together for a few games. The secondary is already better than it was in 2017. LB is a result of what happens when you let young, unproven guys, fight it out while also considering a defensive system that doesn't use traditional LBs. Personally, I don't agree with the philosophy the Eagles employ here, but we just have to watch and see if someone makes it work. Edwards hasn't looked bad to me so far. Gerry had a terrible week in coverage last week. So can Gerry correct his issues moving forward or does somebody take his spot along the way. 

As for Wentz, playing poorly is a rarity for him. You are grouping imperfect play with poor play and I won't do that --- sorry. Not all the WRs are young. Jackson and Jeffery actually figure to be the starters this year every week they are healthy. 

I'll continue to argue against the concept of bad years now = good years later. That might have worked before free agency, but that's an antiquated concept in today's NFL. Just look at those teams that year after year pick early and then look at the most successful team the last 15 years and where they typically draft. You don't have to be bad to stay good. 

So hang on... You think the DL is good? Even though Cox is now over 30 and BG is at the end of his career? Oh and Jackson hasn't shown anything and was a FA for a reason and Barnett isn't a top DE? The LB group has been majorly overlooked but you don't put that on Howie? He's excused for that is he? And he's excused for continuing to pay the older guys because he's not drafted well?

I agree that you don't have to draft high to be good. Lots of teams prove that. But you do have to pick the right players and do well in FA. And when you need big changes you do need things to go a little wrong so that changes are made. 

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So hang on... You think the DL is good? Even though Cox is now over 30 and BG is at the end of his career?

Technically Cox won't be considered "over 30" until next December (he turns 30 this December).  

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So hang on... You think the DL is good? Even though Cox is now over 30 and BG is at the end of his career? Oh and Jackson hasn't shown anything and was a FA for a reason and Barnett isn't a top DE? The LB group has been majorly overlooked but you don't put that on Howie? He's excused for that is he? And he's excused for continuing to pay the older guys because he's not drafted well?

I agree that you don't have to draft high to be good. Lots of teams prove that. But you do have to pick the right players and do well in FA. And when you need big changes you do need things to go a little wrong so that changes are made. 

At some point when you argue with me, you're going to figure out that age 30 means absolutely nothing to me. What does matter to me is how a player plays. Cox got a little hurt last week and it had an effect, but when he's not too hurt, he's still one of the top DTs in the league. Jackson has looked pretty good. Hargrave is a younger talent that unfortunately missed most of his opportunity to get used to a new defensive system. We may have to give him a few weeks to get comfortable here. I rate Graham a lot higher than you. I appreciate what he does in every phase of the game. Barnett is at worst, solid. Vinny Curry adds solid, versatile depth. Sweat is showing encouraging flashes of playmaking ability. 

I don't understand how you can even take that stance about the LB group in this argument with a straight face. On one level, you're always complaining about age and here we have an extremely young group. Your next argument is always players being "overpaid." These players all come cheap. Then you say we need to build for the future and evaluate the young guys we have with playing time. But you criticize them for looking inexperienced and youthful. Then you say we've overlooked the position? We drafted Taylor and Bradley this year to develop. We brought in Edwards last year and he showed good promise. We traded for Riley last year and even if he didn't work out, we won that trade, but fortunately Riley is showing signs of life in our system. 

This is what happens when you dwell on the negative most of the time. You actually start rooting for bad things to happen. Think about that. 

49 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't understand how you can even take that stance about the LB group in this argument with a straight face. On one level, you're always complaining about age and here we have an extremely young group.

A young group? Nate Gerry is the freaking leader of the group and he's bad. Flat out bad. It's not just about being young, you've got to be good too.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, DeathByEagle said:

Not surprised at all. Ive said it over and over that Jim's defensive scheme puts the DBs and LBs in a no win situation if we do not get instant qb pressure. I said the signing of Coleman and the trade of Slay wont change that issue. Until Jim is gone, I dont expect a good pass defense at all. I will give it to Jim that he on avg does have a good run stopping defense but his scheme just give no help to the pass coverage. 14 more games to go till his contract is expired and change is upon us. 

The irony is that most NFL announcers say how Schwartz is the master of disguising blitzes and getting pressure on the QB. He has a reputation as being an aggressive coach. This couldn’t be anything further from the truth. Most of the time his corners give a huge cushion and they’re always playing soft coverage. They rarely blitz. Not sure how he got that reputation.