The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Week 3 vs. Bengals

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

Just now, Penn7980 said:

DJax has been disappointing.  So far this season he has not put up much production as a deep threat, his specialty.  2 seasons in, what we hear is just what a weapon he is, but reality is rather a weapon he was.  The coaches have leaned on the old buddies way too long.  Even the young players are not quite there yet.  Just play them and get them the experience and chance to develop.  We shall have a brighter future.

Doesn't help that his QB can't hit a barn freaking door...

• Like 1

As usual, thanks for the awesome write-up. I’m still numb from Doug’s decision to punt with 19 seconds left in OT. I verbally sigh ever time in pops in my mind. 

• Like 1

I hope this three week disaster piece opens Lurie’s eyes to the crap show his GM has put together. Asante Samuel warned us years ago how Howie was playing monopoly with his money. The Dream Team disaster somehow all fell on Andy Reid despite Howie’s part in building that mess. Doug’s probably going to be fired after all of this and they will bring in a new Coach. They might even hire from within to ensure it’s someone they can control. Howie survives again.  

Thanks for the post- good job by you. For me, I was pissed that I changed my mind to not watch the game Sunday and go do something fun instead. Shame on me- I tried to be the loyal fan and lost 3 hours of my life for a...TIE. Just shoot me now.

• Like 1

Nice job as usual. 

I’m surprised you think Wentz will be traded next year. He’s definitely been a problem but I don’t think Hurts is the answer either. Wentz will be tough to trade too with a huge salary cap hit and I doubt you get much, if any, value for him. Which team would trade you a high pick(s) and then pay him $30m a year after the year he’s having. I can’t think of one at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Nice job as usual. 

I’m surprised you think Wentz will be traded next year. He’s definitely been a problem but I don’t think Hurts is the answer either. Wentz will be tough to trade too with a huge salary cap hit and I doubt you get much, if any, value for him. Which team would trade you a high pick(s) and then pay him $30m a year after the year he’s having. I can’t think of one at the moment. 

I don’t think he is traded next year. The dead money is 59 million. I have a feeling at the end of 2021 season that he or Doug or both not back as i see this team struggling the next two years. And trust me it’s not cause I think hurts is a franchise QB. I think it’s more you don’t draft a qb in the second round just to have him as a backup and flip him after year 3. I think there was more to drafting hurts than to just be wentz’s backup. I’ll put it this way they might not be able to trade wentz but that doesn’t mean Carson Wentz doesn’t walk away like Andrew luck Or maybe after that concussion the eagles sensed that wentz might not play as long as we originally thought. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t think he is traded next year. The dead money is 59 million. I have a feeling at the end of 2021 season that he or Doug or both not back as i see this team struggling the next two years. And trust me it’s not cause I think hurts is a franchise QB. I think it’s more you don’t draft a qb in the second round just to have him as a backup and flip him after year 3. I think there was more to drafting hurts than to just be wentz’s backup. I’ll put it this way they might not be able to trade wentz but that doesn’t mean Carson Wentz doesn’t walk away like Andrew luck Or maybe after that concussion the eagles sensed that wentz might not play as long as we originally thought. 

I agree that he won't be traded but...

1) If these struggles continue do they bench Wentz at some point before the end of next year and leave him on the bench until they can move on? Or do they stick with him because he has such a huge cap hit.

2) If the Eagles are in the top 5 in the draft and say a couple of the other teams ahead of them already have their young QB in place... Do they pull the trigger on a QB? Or do they hold off another year even if the next draft class isn't necessarily the best (FWIW I have no idea if it is or not)?

You know what, I don't believe punting to seal the tie was a bad decision. I remember the last time the Eagles tied it helped them clinch a Wild Card. Taking a loss is much worse. If Elliott misses the kick, the Bengals are at midfield, a play away from a FG try to win the game. But if the Eagles are already trying a 59-yard FG, how much harder is it from 64? I guess we'd all like to see big balls Doug go for it. The awful truth is Doug never should have been in position to make that decision. The Eagles own mistakes set it all up: offense is struggling, too many turnovers; defense isn't consistent, they're not forcing turnovers; and stupid penalties.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree that he won't be traded but...

1) If these struggles continue do they bench Wentz at some point before the end of next year and leave him on the bench until they can move on? Or do they stick with him because he has such a huge cap hit.

2) If the Eagles are in the top 5 in the draft and say a couple of the other teams ahead of them already have their young QB in place... Do they pull the trigger on a QB? Or do they hold off another year even if the next draft class isn't necessarily the best (FWIW I have no idea if it is or not)?

Frankly if it comes to the point where the team decides they are moving on from Wentz, I don’t think the cap number matters. They are paying him either way, whether it is to start or sit. 

So the question then is whether it makes more sense to pay him to lose you games, or pay him to sit while you see what you have with your second round pick QB. I think the answer is pretty obvious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Frankly if it comes to the point where the team decides they are moving on from Wentz, I don’t think the cap number matters. They are paying him either way, whether it is to start or sit. 

So the question then is whether it makes more sense to pay him to lose you games, or pay him to sit while you see what you have with your second round pick QB. I think the answer is pretty obvious. 

Have a harder time seeing the eagles trading before the 2021 season with a dead money number at 59 million. It drops to 24 million dead after 2021 which makes more sense. 

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Have a harder time seeing the eagles trading before the 2021 season with a dead money number at 59 million. It drops to 24 million dead after 2021 which makes more sense. 

Yeah I’m not suggesting he’d be traded before then, I’m just saying they are paying him the same whether he starts or sits. So why would it matter how much he’s making if the options are to watch him lose you games, or sit him and see what Hurts has. Either way he’s being paid, and it isn’t like him continuing to play like garbage is going to help us any.