Bad Things Happen In Philly

Toastrel

This one time, in high school, we cut class, snuck onto the train to center city with stolen beers. We drank them and went to the Trocadero to see strippers but they wouldn't let us in.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife was out shopping and stopped by Steve's Prince of Steaks.

They prove bad things happen in Philly. Just chop the effing meat up and DO NOT use cheese from a can.

I accused the wife of ordering a steak with mayo on it but it was basically white cheese whiz? WTF?

Good roll and the steak was good, but they serve it in flat hunks instead of chopping it up. We normally get them elsewhere, but she saw Steve's and it was a cousin's favorite spot.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

What steve's steak shop did she go to? The one at Bustelton & Cottman, or Comly & Blvd?.

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 1:19 PM, Emerald Green said:

What steve's steak shop did she go to? The one at Bustelton & Cottman, or Comly & Blvd?.

Cottman

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, Toastrel said:

I accused the wife of ordering a steak with mayo on it but it was basically white cheese whiz? WTF?

Chickie's and Pete's uses the white cheese sauce

1 hour ago, TCinPhilly said:

Chickie's and Pete's uses the white cheese (substitute) sauce

Yeah, the most disappointing thing about their steaks. Good dip for fries, but I really like actual cheese, like provolone.

The wife loves cooper sharp, and this seems way cheesier than American cheese, which always seems part plastic to me.

Cooper sharp is the cheese for grilled cheese, although I like cheddar for this too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 8:17 AM, Toastrel said:

Yeah, the most disappointing thing about their steaks. Good dip for fries, but I really like actual cheese, like provolone.

The wife loves cooper sharp, and this seems way cheesier than American cheese, which always seems part plastic to me.

Cooper sharp is the cheese for grilled cheese, although I like cheddar for this too.

Cooper is delish. Your wife has good taste. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've made equally pleasing cheese steaks in my kitchen.

Good quality beef that I slice myself.

And real cheese.

Whizzes and sauces are abominations.

Rib eye, frozen and shaved on a deli slicer is excellent steakery.

So does caramelizing onions in butter, which is how I roll my cheesesteak at home, since my mother in law taught me that you could caramelize onions in butter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, Toastrel said:

I accused the wife of ordering a steak with mayo on it

That's hitting below the belt

On 11/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, Toastrel said:

So does caramelizing onions in butter, which is how I roll my cheesesteak at home, since my mother in law taught me that you could caramelize onions in butter.

Back when I lived in the city, always had to insist that whoever was making the steak put on the caramelized onions and not the half cooked ones.

Somewhere along the line, you would have thought that somebody would have come up with the idea of offering sauteed fresh chopped up garlic on the steak too.  I always would do this when repurposing leftover steak sandwiches.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, Toastrel said:

Same with French onion soup, but you cook them for longer.