3 takeaways from the Philadelphia Eagles placing WR Jalen Reagor on injured reserve

UK_EaglesFan89

3 takeaways from the Philadelphia Eagles placing WR Jalen Reagor on injured reserve

After two weeks of rumors, the Philadelphia Eagles officially placed wide receiver Jalen Reagor on the Injured Reserve list with a ligament tear in his thumb.

With the news now official, here are three takeaways from the move:

1. Why the week-long wait?

Reagor was inactive for Sunday’s game against Cincinnati, but had surgery on his thumb earlier in the week and should have been placed on injured reserve the minute the Eagles training staff was aware that it was a UCL injury and it would involve a five-week rehab.

Reagor was going to miss the games regardless, but unless the Eagles really weren’t that concerned with the roster spot, it’ll be another stain on an already heavily criticized training staff.

2. Quez Watkins returning just-in-time

The rookie from Southern Miss has been out since training camp with an upper-body injury but had his 21-day window to return to Eagles practice opened on Tuesday. If Watkins is able to play on Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers, he could interject some much-needed speed back into the lineup.

3. Depth Chart impact

The Eagles will only have three healthy wide receivers on their 53-man roster with Reagor sideline: John Hightower, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, and Greg Ward.

DeSean Jackson (hamstring) was injured in Week 3  and could miss the Sunday night matchup while Alshon Jeffery (foot) returned to practice last week but looks to be another week away.

The Eagles protected Deontay Burnett,  while still having Travis Fulgham and Marcus Green on the practice squad.  Burnett was active for the Week 3 tie with the Bengals and caught three passes for 19 yards. Burnett and Fulgham could be elevated on Saturday if Watkins doesn’t play.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/30/philadelphia-eagles-jalen-reagor-takeaways-injured-reserve/

Not sure point #1 has much validity. We knew Reagor was out injured, its not like the injury can only start to recover once a player is placed on IR.

Those that remember know I wasn’t big on the Reagor pick - I thought it was a bit of a reach to take him at 21.  Obviously pulling for him now that he is one of us, but really wanted one of the top 4.  Unfortunately 3 were off the board before our selection but Jefferson was there for the taking.  All I heard was he is a slot WR and nothing more blah blah blah.  Well he is now the league’s highest rated receiver through week 4.

https://heavy.com/sports/vikings-justin-jefferson-versus-eagles-jalen-reagor/

I hope this isn’t yet another draft mistake by the boy genius Howie.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Those that remember know I wasn’t big on the Reagor pick - I thought it was a bit of a reach to take him at 21.  Obviously pulling for him now that he is one of us, but really wanted one of the top 4.  Unfortunately 3 were off the board before our selection but Jefferson was there for the taking.  All I heard was he is a slot WR and nothing more blah blah blah.  Well he is now the league’s highest rated receiver through week 4.

https://heavy.com/sports/vikings-justin-jefferson-versus-eagles-jalen-reagor/

I hope this isn’t yet another draft mistake by the boy genius Howie.  

Think a lot of us wanted Jefferson...Howie knows best. Regor may end up being good, but Howie has to always be the smartest guy in the room. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Think a lot of us wanted Jefferson...Howie knows best. Regor may end up being good, but Howie has to always be the smartest guy in the room. 

He was SOOOOOOOO focused on speed this year, just ignore everything else (like being a top WR in the best conference in college football).  Anyway, obviously still rooting for Reagor.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

He was SOOOOOOOO focused on speed this year, just ignore everything else (like being a top WR in the best conference in college football).  Anyway, obviously still rooting for Reagor.  

As long as the Eagles draft J'Marr Chase in April, it'll all work out just fine.

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Reagor is sooooooo much more than a speed receiver though. 

😁

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

😁

It seems calling Reagor a "speed receiver" is pretty much the same as referring to Jefferson as just a "slot WR".  And kinda like how Wentz will be linked to Goff or Dak for the entirety of their careers, I will do the same with Reagor and Jefferson.  It will be interesting to track both of their careers to see if they are relatively close or if one had a much more productive career (similar to what we've seen from Metcalf and JJAW in the infancy of their careers).  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It seems calling Reagor a "speed receiver" is pretty much the same as referring to Jefferson as just a "slot WR".  And kinda like how Wentz will be linked to Goff or Dak for the entirety of their careers, I will do the same with Reagor and Jefferson.  It will be interesting to track both of their careers to see if they are relatively close or if one had a much more productive career (similar to what we've seen from Metcalf and JJAW in the infancy of their careers).  

I'm glad you mentioned the "infancy of their careers", it is my belief that JJAW will ultimately be a much better WR than Metcalf!!

Better at leaving the f'ing field without a catch!!

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

😁

Is he?  A fair number of the draft profiles say that he needs a lot of coaching to run a full route tree, most of his highlights are him just outrunning a db to catch a long ball. As I recall NBC said something like 'he looks more like a gadget guy than a #1 receiver to lead an offense' before saying that first round was too high but if he was there mid second you should think about it.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the thing about waiting a week is that if you start the 3 weeks as soon as he has the surgery, then the Cincy game counts as one of the minimum 3 he has to miss, and if he recovers quickly you can get him back on the field earlier.

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Is he?  A fair number of the draft profiles say that he needs a lot of coaching to run a full route tree, most of his highlights are him just outrunning a db to catch a long ball. As I recall NBC said something like 'he looks more like a gadget guy than a #1 receiver to lead an offense' before saying that first round was too high but if he was there mid second you should think about it.

He's athletic and makes guys miss with the ball in his hands. He's shown in a small sample for us that he can stretch the field and track the ball but he can also catch the shorter passes and look to make guys miss. He's also tough and will make those contested catches so... Yes he is.

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's athletic and makes guys miss with the ball in his hands. He's shown in a small sample for us that he can stretch the field and track the ball but he can also catch the shorter passes and look to make guys miss. He's also tough and will make those contested catches so... Yes he is.

I am looking forward to seeing if he can do all of that for us.  I'd hate to miss on yet another high draft pick at WR.  

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I am looking forward to seeing if he can do all of that for us.  I'd hate to miss on yet another high draft pick at WR.  

I think he's shown glimpses of that early on. I think it shows how they want to use him and get him involved. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he's shown glimpses of that early on. I think it shows how they want to use him and get him involved. 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small a sample size to make any kind of judgement/evaluation.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small a sample size to make any kind of judgement/evaluation.  

It is yes. Its too small a sample size too see if he'll be successful. But I think we've seen how the coaches want to get him involved in a variety of ways. 

On 10/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, PoconoDon said:

As long as the Eagles draft J'Marr Chase in April, it'll all work out just fine.

Forget about that... Dallas will screw us by being worse than us and we will end up being the division winner and be too far in the draft to get him 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aspiritfall said:

Forget about that... Dallas will screw us by being worse than us and we will end up being the division winner and be too far in the draft to get him 

Unfortunately you are probably right there. I can see it now. 6-10 but division champions. My god what a mess.