Why is it that the offense can only show up when the defense sucks

wtfcares

This has been a trend for years. The 2 units can’t seem to both show up for the game for some reason. 

It’s truly like Doug can only be good when his back is fully against the wall, whether it’s late in the season or in a game where the defense is getting torched. Think back to the last few times the Offense put up more than 30 points(need to go back to 2019). It’s only ever come on days where the defense also allowed more than 30 points. Why have we not had one complete performance from both sides of the ball for years? 

• Like 3

I see it as the opposite (same result though).    The defense only seems to show up when the offense is struggling.

I partially attribute this to conservative play calling by Schwartz when the Eagles have a lead.    It's not just Schwartz though.    This happens all over NFL when teams seem to get leads and then try not to give up the big play.    If you give any QB time in the NFL, he will pick you apart, even with 7 defensive backs in the game.

Just MHO.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pliny said:

I see it as the opposite (same result though).    The defense only seems to show up when the offense is struggling.

I partially attribute this to conservative play calling by Schwartz when the Eagles have a lead.    It's not just Schwartz though.    This happens all over NFL when teams seem to get leads and then try not to give up the big play.    If you give any QB time in the NFL, he will pick you apart, even with 7 defensive backs in the game.

Just MHO.

That could be, but it happens way more often the other way. It’s usually the offense not being able to score 30 points, then the defense giving up 30 points.

Even if you move the bar down to 25 points. Since 2017, we’ve had far more game where the offense failed to reach 25 points, than games where the defense gave up 25 points. 

It’s like the same sick jokes. The offense had consecutive 3 and out drives. The defense gives up quick scores. Finally the offense makes some moves and scores. As soon as the game gets close the offense goes back into suck mode and the defense gives up an untimely score. For all this "Carson’s turnovers aren’t his fault talk” is irrelevant. When you lose the turnover battle you usually lose the game. If the Eagles offense is going to be so cavalier about giving the ball away and our defense isn’t getting it away from the other team well it’s a recipe for failure. Our quarterback is on a pace for over 30 turnovers this season and our defense likely won’t get half that. 

Because when the D sees the offense is having a good scoring day, they get together and say "Ok, they got it, nappy time. ZZZzzz." When the D is balling out, the offense get together and says "Ok, they got this, nappy time. ZZZzzzzz." 

Wouldn't it be really nice if we could just get decent play from both sides of the ball? Not even top level play but decent play as a minimum. 

If the defense played a decent game on Sunday then we'd perhaps have won that game. Instead they ish the bed at so many key moments.

You can't really rely on either side of the ball. One side will undoubtedly let us down it seems. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 7:32 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wouldn't it be really nice if we could just get decent play from both sides of the ball? Not even top level play but decent play as a minimum. 

If the defense played a decent game on Sunday then we'd perhaps have won that game. Instead they ish the bed at so many key moments.

You can't really rely on either side of the ball. One side will undoubtedly let us down it seems. 

I've been a big supporter of Schwartz, but the D really hasn't been good enough this year. It's been okay in certain games, but we've played against some pretty poor offences and it really has struggled, the San Fran game apart.

It may well be time to move on from Schwartz  (I'll reserve my judgement until the end of the year). Having said that, Schwartz has been really underappreciated the past few years, in producing a very good to elite D in 2017 and having competitive D's in 2018 and 2019, despite pretty bad injuries and a serious lack of talent and investment. This D needs some serious young talent, whoever the D coordinator is.

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

It may well be time to move on from Schwartz

I know you've always been a huge Schwartz fan bud so for you to say this is a pretty big deal really. 

I think Schwartz has probably taken this D as far as he can. Now I think he's been limited in terms of the talent he has been given so I'm not sure what another DC will do... But I think it is time to look elsewhere and bring in a DC who is perhaps a little more creative. A DC who will blitz more and be more aggressive in certain spots.

At least Sp Teams is pretty consistent. Dave Fipp is a very good coach. He always has his team ready. Very rare that they are not having a good game. No matter what happens with Doug, Howie, Jim, he should be here a long time. I could see him as a head coach one day like John Harbaugh. Duce and Jeff as well. They are just good coaches and make the best with what  they have to work with.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know you've always been a huge Schwartz fan bud so for you to say this is a pretty big deal really. 

I think Schwartz has probably taken this D as far as he can. Now I think he's been limited in terms of the talent he has been given so I'm not sure what another DC will do... But I think it is time to look elsewhere and bring in a DC who is perhaps a little more creative. A DC who will blitz more and be more aggressive in certain spots.

In some ways he’s been limited in talent, but then when you look at how guys like Douglas and Jones are playing with their new teams... makes you think that maybe the corner talent wasn’t nearly as bad as it seems, and it is Schwartz scheme that kills his DBs. I’ve been saying for a few years now that with alllll the CBs they have tried over the last few seasons, there is no way they are all that bad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nipples said:

it is Schwartz scheme that kills his DBs. 

And everyone said I was crazy saying this for the last 2 years, lol. All of a sudden everyone is one the same page

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

And everyone said I was crazy saying this for the last 2 years, lol. All of a sudden everyone is one the same page

I’ve been right there with you on that one. He has no clue how to play his coverage schemes to the strengths of his personnel. It’s amazing that Slay has been as good as he has this year in this defense. Even with Slay he does stupid crap sometimes like having him play 10 yards off, when Slay is known to be one of the better physical man coverage corners in the league. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

4 hours ago, nipples said:

In some ways he’s been limited in talent, but then when you look at how guys like Douglas and Jones are playing with their new teams... makes you think that maybe the corner talent wasn’t nearly as bad as it seems, and it is Schwartz scheme that kills his DBs. I’ve been saying for a few years now that with alllll the CBs they have tried over the last few seasons, there is no way they are all that bad. 

I still think Schwartz is a good DC. But it might have reached the Andy Reid type situation where it's just time for both parties to move on. A lot of people are talking about Schwartz's contract not being extended. Maybe Schwartz didn't want to. If I was him, I'd be really annoyed with Howie failing to add any young talent over the past few years.

As for the corners, yes Schwartz's scheme makes corners look bad a lot of the time. It's focused on stopping the run. The results, apart from this year have been generally very good considering the talent we have to work with. He averages giving up 17 points in the playoffs. That's really good.

As for Douglas and Jones, I am surprised we let them both go given our lack of options. But Jones can't stay healthy and it's been one game. Douglas is a better scheme fit elsewhere but has only been solid. As I said, I wouldn't have let him go, because he's a better option than what we have at 2CB at the moment.