Is it just me, or is a mobile QB the key?

nipples

Was just thinking about how the game is evolving and changing, and I’m starting to think that mobile quarterbacks are the future, and to a large extend the present. 

The rules have changed so much over the years, particularly in regards to player safety. This means fewer brutal hits on QBs, even when they take off and run. 

Just think about it. Who are some of the top QBs in the league right now? Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Watson, as much as I hate to say it even Dak had been playing like a top guy this season. Josh Allen has decent mobility. Kyler Murray, IMO, is on the cusp of becoming really, really good. 

I think going forward we are going to see the pocket passers become the outlier, and the dual threat QBs become the norm. 

So where does that leave us with Wentz? I mean he will take off and catch the defense off guard from time to time, and he isn’t exactly cement footed, but he also doesn’t move nearly as well as those other QBs I mentioned. Feels to me like he’s more in between the old pocket passer style and the new wave of mobile quarterbacks. 

Anyway, just really dawned on me how many good starting QBs there are in the league now who are super athletic and can also throw the ball with the best of them. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Was just thinking about how the game is evolving and changing, and I’m starting to think that mobile quarterbacks are the future, and to a large extend the present. 

The rules have changed so much over the years, particularly in regards to player safety. This means fewer brutal hits on QBs, even when they take off and run. 

Just think about it. Who are some of the top QBs in the league right now? Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Watson, as much as I hate to say it even Dak had been playing like a top guy this season. Josh Allen has decent mobility. Kyler Murray, IMO, is on the cusp of becoming really, really good. 

I think going forward we are going to see the pocket passers become the outlier, and the dual threat QBs become the norm. 

So where does that leave us with Wentz? I mean he will take off and catch the defense off guard from time to time, and he isn’t exactly cement footed, but he also doesn’t move nearly as well as those other QBs I mentioned. Feels to me like he’s more in between the old pocket passer style and the new wave of mobile quarterbacks. 

Anyway, just really dawned on me how many good starting QBs there are in the league now who are super athletic and can also throw the ball with the best of them. 

We seem to say mobile QBs are the future every year and it never transpires. However, like you said I think it's finally becoming the norm. 

Every 10 years, people seem to get the idea that mobile QB's are modern and the future.

Then they fall off the face of the Earth fast after 4 years in the league because they decline and never realize that their 4th read is a better option than the QB tucking and running.  A QB who sees all his reads and never misses one is more dangerous than a 2 read and run QB can ever be, even if he moves like Vick.

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We seem to say mobile QBs are the future every year and it never transpires. However, like you said I think it's finally becoming the norm. 

I know this has been said before, with Moon/Cunningham, then Vick,McNabb (before he decided to turn his body into a linebacker’s) etc. But I don’t think we’ve ever seen this many true dual threat QBs starting in the league at the same time. And now with the rules changing in regards to player safety, it should let these mobile QBs have longer careers. 

Honestly this is part of the reason I want to see Hurts get some starts this year. He fits the prototype of this generation of QBs. 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Every 10 years, people seem to get the idea that mobile QB's are modern and the future.

Then they fall off the face of the Earth fast after 4 years in the league because they decline and never realize that their 4th read is a better option than the QB tucking and running.  A QB who sees all his reads and never misses one is more dangerous than a 2 read and run QB can ever be, even if he moves like Vick.

We will see. I’m betting the trend continues with success this time. Like I said, the rule changes are the big thing. Before a QB took off running and could be absolutely blasted into next week by a linebacker. Now, not so much. 

It's just you. NOT.

Mobile QB's add a dimension to the offense that puts pressure on the D. Example is simple... the opposing D is playing great and stuffing the offense and just dominating. Now it's it's 3rd and 7, the db's are smothering the receivers, the line is getting pressure, and then... the freekin QB pops out and runs for a 1st down, destroying all the perfect work the D was doing. It DEMORALIZES even the best defenses. Do it throughout the game, or just having that threat there really makes a difference, especially against very good defenses. No mobile QB's do not add that threat and are worthless in that regard. 

Soooo Hurts "wasn't" a "wasted pick"?

The 1st time Hurts takes off for a 30 yard run, 20 people will post here agreeing with you. This league is "what have you done for me lately"(meaning RIGHT NOW).

Things do change. There use to be a time when a Seth Joyner/Trotter MLB was a requirement. Gerry probably wouldn't make any of those older Eagle teams...but during this time period.. he's a starter.

If we still used RPOs with wentz this wouldn’t be an issue. He refuses to use what worked for him in his early career. 

This is true. Also to best defend them you need fast and athletic edge rushers and Lbs who can tackle in space. I feel unless you are a freak like Donald a DE or a LB should always be the preferred pick on the front 7.

I just think you need talent. Mahomes isn’t good just cause he can run. He’s good because he’s talented. Carson and Hurts are both mobile guys capable of using their legs to help win games. Doesn’t mean it will work though. Mike Vick and Randal Cunningham we’re both very talented with their legs and neither amounted to much more than guys who made some exciting plays on occasion. Talent, coaching, and an inner drive to win makes champions. The Eagles have had numerous guys under center that are mobile, but the only guy to bring home a Lombardi for us runs like a giraffe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I just think you need talent. Mahomes isn’t good just cause he can run. He’s good because he’s talented. Carson and Hurts are both mobile guys capable of using their legs to help win games. Doesn’t mean it will work though. Mike Vick and Randal Cunningham we’re both very talented with their legs and neither amounted to much more than guys who made some exciting plays on occasion. Talent, coaching, and an inner drive to win makes champions. The Eagles have had numerous guys under center that are mobile, but the only guy to bring home a Lombardi for us runs like a giraffe. 

Ever notice when the pocket collapses Wentz will move around a step here or there but he still stays mostly in the pocket until he gets hit or someone hits his arm while throwing?  When the pocket is collapsing he needs to get out of their and roll out towards the sideline.  Then either throw on the run, throw it away or run for some positive yards.

Problem with scrambling QBs is they need to protect themselves.  The only one who does consistently is Wilson.  I have a feeling Jackson, Allen and some of these other guys are going to get hurt eventually.

2 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Ever notice when the pocket collapses Wentz will move around a step here or there but he still stays mostly in the pocket until he gets hit or someone hits his arm while throwing?  When the pocket is collapsing he needs to get out of their and roll out towards the sideline.  Then either throw on the run, throw it away or run for some positive yards.

Problem with scrambling QBs is they need to protect themselves.  The only one who does consistently is Wilson.  I have a feeling Jackson, Allen and some of these other guys are going to get hurt eventually.

There isn’t a long career in store for a guy who takes a lot of punishment at quarterback. It’s not realistic to think these guys will play into their 40s. Also when those legs go they better be able to effectively use their arm otherwise they will be out of the league. Big Ben is a good example of a guy who has been able to transition into an accurate passer. Carson better take notes and get himself a QBs guru who helps him work on his mechanics to become a more accurate passer from the pocket. He needs to change, because despite his size he won’t last with his current style of play. 

I guess the problem with a mobile QB is that they potentially take a lot of hits and therefore end up getting hurt. Plus if they rely on their agility that will, over time, start to impact on their game. 

So yes mobile QBs right now are dominating the league. Perhaps that trend will continue for some time as young QBs will base their games on the NFL guys they watch. But there will always be a place for pocket passer QBs.

Shame we don't have either really... 😉

I’ve never been against a mobile QB. I am against a run first, or run after the first read type QB. If a QB can add that dimension on top of passing the ball, then it’s another thing for defenses to consider. I like that Wentz will use his legs when need be. 

You win championships with a passer.  Whether he's mobile or a statue, pocket presence, pocket movement, and quick delivery are what you need to be effective.  Happy feet is exciting and fun to watch.....but it doesn't win playoff games or championships.

When you compare his stats to Mcnabbs first 43 games....we got a keeper, Not even close......he actually has stats that Mcnabb never had.

I think he will get better as the season goes deeper too. 

18 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

You win championships with a passer.  Whether he's mobile or a statue, pocket presence, pocket movement, and quick delivery are what you need to be effective.  Happy feet is exciting and fun to watch.....but it doesn't win playoff games or championships.

Cough Lamar Jackson. 

mobility is a bonus not a requirement to be a great QB. I love mobile guys,  but he needs to be able to throw the ball first

Some of you are totally misunderstand my point. I’m not talking about QBs who can run but not throw. I’m talking about the dual threat guys that are becoming more and more common. If you go through the top 10 QBs in the league, I’m betting that list has more dual threat QBs than pure pocket passers. 

Now look at the top two rated QBs in next year’s draft, Lawrence and Fields. Both mobile guys who can throw. 

To me, Wentz is not what I would consider a true dual threat. He’ll pick up some yards with his legs catching the defense off guard occasionally, but not a guy that a defense really has to focus on stopping both his running and passing all game long. 

Nope. A true dual threat doesn't really exist. The hyper athletic QB's aren't ever fully developed as passers because they don't have to be. Their legs get them out of trouble and win games as the H.S. and College levels so the Coaches under pressure to win let it be. The best you can hope for is a hyper accurate passer that can also move well. Most Hyper accurate passers don't have to relay on their legs or can't rely on them, so they don't really develop into a dual threat. They win with their arm and brain. 

I think while it is possible that a true dual threat may emerge one day, the chances are slim.

19 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Nope. A true dual threat doesn't really exist. The hyper athletic QB's aren't ever fully developed as passers because they don't have to be. Their legs get them out of trouble and win games as the H.S. and College levels so the Coaches under pressure to win let it be. The best you can hope for is a hyper accurate passer that can also move well. Most Hyper accurate passers don't have to relay on their legs or can't rely on them, so they don't really develop into a dual threat. They win with their arm and brain. 

I think while it is possible that a true dual threat may emerge one day, the chances are slim.

Guess we have different definitions then. Because Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Jackson all fit my definition of a dual threat. As much as I hate to admit it, so does Dak with the way he was playing this year. Dallas would be running away with this division if they didn’t have one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1