October Scare

Slade

Scary times Eagles fans indeed. Most believed this team could challenge for the NFC if they could just stay healthy with old vets finally contributing unlike they did in 2019. The team FO thought a little tweaking here and there sprinkle in some athletic rookies especially at wide receiver and all will be fine. They were all wrong.

Our franchise QB looks he's already been beat up like a 10 year vet. He has no faith in the play calling, his protection, and his receivers and it shows. Carson is trying too much and being hit for it to often. His footwork, mechanics, and decision making has not been coached up and is just not seeing the field well. I do believe he can be saved given the right pieces and coaching.

The offense has IMO way to many chiefs and not enough indians, it needs a clear leader and an OC. Taylor needs to go, he's not coaching Carson up and its clearly visible. Too much buddy buddy love and not enough constructive criticism and accountability. This offseason I would like to see Doug stay at HC but he does need a normal OC.

The defense has been showing some life lately especially the defensive line. Having said that I do believe its way beyond time to move on from Schwartz and his scheme. I would like to have someone that believes in a keeping a 4-3 based system but one that utilizes unique blitz and coverage schemes. I'm tired of predicting what coverage is going to be called for 3rd and long and seeing it happen.

Now to the elephant in the room which is our GM Howie Roseman, the smartest person in the room. Howie's stubbornness to not only move on from aging vets but also give them big contract extensions has put the team in financial hell for the next 2 years. Kicking the can down the road on other contracts has only made the situation worse. Going after Slay(albeit good) and Hargrave IMO were mistakes. The team needed those picks used for Slay and the two contracts were too much for a team with no overall youth at the positions. The worst of all has been his drafting, far too many reaches, luxury picks, or trading picks for band aids. Howie must be removed along with the entire personnel and scouting departments and a true football guy needs to be brought in to rebuild the entire thing. This team is heading towards a 5-10-1 record maybe worse and a potential top 5 pick!

GM replacement:

Daniel Jerimiah - Currently an NFL analyst and former eagles scout. I watched Daniel for the last couple of years and have found him to be quite astute. Now he may not be experienced in the contracts front but I do believe his eye for talent and finding the correct pieces to fit this will come natural for him. Doug I feel will love actually having someone that will acquire the pieces his team needs to compete with.

OC Filing:

Duce Staley - Doug wants to promote from within and I'm betting he's still pissed about Howie's power play this last offseason forcing Doug to fire members of his staff and then hiring every person off the street to create a room full of chaos. Duce deserves a shot and I would ride with him and Doug for 2 years and see if they can right the ship. I think the team needs a strong voice for establishing a balanced offense with a strong ground game. CW needs to have consistent play calling and scheming and right now its a dart board week in and week out to see what might work. However it never seems to include the ground game which we have stud RB lets use him.

DC Replacement:

Brent Venables: DC from the mighty Clemson Tigers and perhaps the best one in college football. Brent knows how to adapt his scheme to best utilize the pieces he has. He's not rigid, he doesn't put inferior talent on the field because he likes him. This year he's returning to a base 4-3 system to help out his young secondary after running a 3-3-5 last year to maximum the talent best suited for it. He can change, he can coach, he knows talent and he's consistent. The NFL is more and more going to a college based spread offense and who better to respond to that then someone who has seen it and has won against the best there is.

Fire Sale: Projected to be 66 million over the cap, Yikes!

I think in a couple of weeks the Eagles will be staring at 1-4-1 and Howie will go into typical panic mode but this time will think trading away aging vets with bad contracts for picks may save his job, it won't. This is going to hurt a lot but the team needs to bite the bullet and set it self up for future success with a solid plan. I don't even know if this is even possible but I can dream.

1. Fletcher Cox DT - One of my favorite players since he was drafted, a true stud. However his contract and his age is detrimental to a team in rebuild mode. Tennessee comes offering a 2021 3rd and 5th. 

2. Zach Ertz TE - The only truly reliable target for Carson the last couple of years but he wants to be paid like Kittle which isn't happening. Zach is still young enough and highly productive and will fetch a decent return. New Orleans offers a 2nd and a 4th. 

3. Brandon Graham DE - A solid warrior and team leader, always steady and reliable he gives maximum effort every play. But this team needs to move on from old heroes and set themselves up for the future right now he still has some value. Seattle offers a 2022 4th.

4. Malik Jackson DT - Probably the biggest threat in the middle of the defense right now. However just like most above the team needs commit all it resources towards the future. Oakland offers a 2022 4th

Retiring Players:

1. Jason Peters LT - Jason should've bowed out of the game 2 years ago at the top of his game. However his ego got the best of him and it cost this team valuable resources.

2. Desean Jackson WR - Thanks for the highlights but goodbye. 10.9 million saved.

3. Marquise Goodwin WR - Was never worth a nickel and saves the team 4.2 million.

Re-sign:

1. Derrek Barnett DE - A very solid starter when on the field that gives 100% every single snap, someone you can build a line around. He may never be a guy who gets 10+ sacks a year but will be in that area. His value is that he's an all around quality DE much like a Graham v2.0 and I'm ok with that good at stopping the run, containing the QB and his never end pursuit. All good leadership qualities which is needed during this transition. 5 years 60 million.

Cuts:

1. Alshon Jeffrey WR - Just the same as DJax and goodbye. 7.8 million saved.

2. JJAW WR - Was a reach and a total disaster. 539k saved.

3. Nate Gerry LB - He can't cover and can't tackle.

Free Agency:

1. Chris Godwin WR - The missing #1 WR this team has been lacking for years and true stud veteran that the offense desperately needs. Chris would be the perfect fit opposite of Reagor and provide CW with a truly reliable big body target with legit speed for his size and breakaway power. He creates separation with his excellent route running and craftiness. Still young and hungry he gets to come back to his home area and represent his birds. 5 years 105 million.

Draft:

1(#5). Penei Sewell LT - My absolute favorite prospect in this draft and luck may just have him landing right in the Eagles lap. Outland trophy winner for being the best o-lineman in college and rightfully so, IMO he's a generational talent at he position and next up isn't even close. Penei is a monster standing in at 6'6 335 lbs, he was the top rated run blocker and 3rd best pass blocker in the nation last year and he's only refining his talent this year. The o-line is getting long in the tooth and Penei secures the bookends for the next 4-5 years.

2a. Jayson Oweh Edge - A true strong side edge rusher that bring elite speed for the position with great side and athletic ability. With the loses along the defensive line fresh new pieces must be added to offset, and with how the Eagles believe in building up front first this is a no brainer. Jayson brings a much needed punch and would start immediately opposite of Barnett. The trio of Barnett, Sweat, Oweh, and Avery could become a very solid unit.

Trade!! The Eagles package Andre Dillard and a 4th to Cincy for their 2nd. Andre may be a starting capable LT but with acquiring Sewell he becomes available and the Bengals need a help along the line worse then the Eagles. With Andre and the Eagles where there's smoke there's typically fire, another bad pick from Howie who saw the mistake and tried to move on from him by reports before the 2020 draft.

2b. Jay Tufele DT - The finishing touch for the d-line. Jay is a monster both in pass defense but is also stout against the run. The interior of the line has had injury issues along with production, while also being a bit long in the tooth. Just like with the previous pick the Eagles believe in a strong and deep rotation to keep guys fresh.

2c. Eric Stokes CB - Slay has been a huge upgrade over any corner we've seen in quite some time, the problem is there is absolutely nothing opposite of him. Eric is tall, athletic, fast and just now starting to show his potential. The secondary has been missing someone who can generate turnovers and Eric certainly does that.

3a. Andre Cisco S - Continuing the theme of needing playmakers in the secondary the birds get a guy that always seems to have the ball just come to him, like magic almost. Needs to work on his tackling but his nose for the ball and instincts are solid. The need for someone who can create turnovers has been an issue for years and nobody does it better then this kid.

3b. Merlin Robertson ILB - The linebacker core has absolutely no real talent and has been overlooked for a long time. Yes Taylor was a 3rd pick but he was an absolute reach, Merlin is not. The defense in Quinn scheme needs playmakers at linebacker and this pick starts the Eagles down that road.

Trade!! The Eagles package two 5ths and a 6th to move up in to the 4th

4. Charlie Kolar TE - With the trade of Ertz the offense is lacking another reliable option outside of Goedert. Charlie is a monster and a solid blocking TE with decent hands that runs good routes. I'm ok with that because this offensive line may need some help moving the pocket while providing a real threat to bring down when the ball is in his hands.

5. Master Teague III RB - Finally the big back the offense has needed since Blount left a true N-S runner, but more than that. He's got the vision and breakaway speed to take it to the house. Master is extremely hard to bring down and arm tackles alone won't do the job. Sanders is the all around better talent overall but he lacks the bull rush this kid has. Also decent blocker something the Eagles #2 & 3 backs lack.

6a. Stewart Reese OG - After watching o-lineman drop like flies this year it's clear depth is needed.

6b. Landon Dickerson OC - Like above depth for a very depleted unit.

7a  Tomon Fox OLB - Someone to push someone in a very weak unit.

7b. Obi Eboh CB - Another position of dire need of depth.

Depth Chart:

QB - Wentz, Hurts

WR - Goodwin, Reagor, Ward, Fulgham, Hightower, Watkins

TE - Goedert, Kolar, Rodgers

RB - Sanders, Teague, Scott

LT - Sewell, Mailata

LG - Seumalo, Herbig

OC - Kelce, Dickerson

RG - Brooks, Pryor, Reese 

RT - Johnson, Driscoll, Wanogho

DE - Barnett, Sweat, Oweh, Avery, Toohill

DT - Hargrave, Ridgeway, Tufele, Williams

OLB - Taylor, Singleton, Riley, Bradley, Fox

ILB - Robertson, Edwards

CB - Slay, Stokes, James, Eboh

NB - LeBlanc, Maddox

SS - Wallace, Mills

FS - Cisco, Parks, Epps

K - Elliott

P - Johnson

Overview:

I understand that this team is a long way from being a truly competitive, and that we'll have more tough times then good ones for awhile maybe another season or two. What cannot be acceptable anymore is mediocrity and since the SB that's exactly what this FO has been selling us, especially in a weak NFCE. I believe that Howie is the rotten apple and his personnel department has left this team with a dark future. I could be wrong its just my belief.

The trades I made I have honestly no idea if its even feasible so I'll leave it at that, I can only hope it can free up some cap space for this. I believe it will and allow the Eagles some options.

The moves on offense I hope begins a new era of balance and the ability to spread the ball out to multiple playmakers and formations. Having a once in a generation LT protecting your franchise QB is a start. RB's are critical in a west coast offense to get it clicking just right. The problem IMO other then injuries everywhere is the lack of a true #1 WR and a Blount type RB. In 2017 the team was relatively balanced and physical, they dictated the way game went. Everyone had a role and nobody had to be the guy. CW right now has Sanders and? CW with an upgraded line, a true young Z receiver(Goodwin), a big play X(Reagor), a dynamic TE(Goedert), a homerun threat RB(Sanders) and a hammer RB(Teague) they should at least be competitive.    

On defense I made the most investments into, and they needed it. Too many old often injured under performing on extremely anti team friendly deals. All three levels needed and infusion of talent using high picks. Depth is a huge concern this year and having playmakers as starters is even more lacking. At the very least depth overall has been upgraded and an entirely new DC will changes things a lot. No more overlooking certain positions, yes some are more important then others, but completely ignoring a unit is inexcusable. With the amount of turnover it will take a bit of time to gel and I'm willing to accept that.

Special Teams might improve the most out of this which this year has been decent already, tons of talent to add to the mix.

Yes, this team needs this amount of turnover in the roster and even with this scenario the team can only hope for an 8-8 2021 record given the amount of rookies, coaches, and scheme changes, not to mention the loss of veteran leadership. However going this route sets the team up for a quick return to relevance in the short term and long. The trades I made also sets the team up with more draft picks in 2022 to move up for a specific targets like(RT, OLB, CB, S) or stay where they are and add more to everywhere. 

Finally! I’ve been waiting for yours for about a week now! Love reading your mocks for years. Always very realistic and grounded.

Although we think alike almost every time, I do have some things to discuss with you here;

- love the acquisitions of Jeremiah and Venables, not sure Deuce is the offensive mastermind we’re looking for. Don’t get me wrong, he definitely deserves it but mij fear would be that Doug would still be calling the plays and Deuce’s promotion will be nothing more than a formal title change.

- Just looked it up but trading Cox would result in 13 million in dead money, BG 17 million and Jackson 12 million. Can’t trade all 3 of them. Not only would it be a serious financial hit, it also would deplete our DL significantly. One will be enough.

- Signing Godwin would be awesome but I don’t know if we have the cap space to make such a splash;

- I love Penei Sewell. He might even be the best player in the entire draft. But...I’m not ready to give up on Mailata, Dillard and Driscoll yet. The former and latter show a lot of promise and therefor I would not use my top 5 pick on a tackle, even if you find a way to trade Dillard.

- love Stokes! Like him better than his teammate Campbell. Handsdown one of my favorite corners who’ll go in that late first/early second round area but personally I’d rather use my first rounder on Surtain, Wade or Farley. You could easily trade down, fetch another 2nd and still come up with one of those 3 corners if you’re picking in the top 5;

- love the Cisco, Tufele, Oweh, Teague, Kolar and Robertson selections but you used 3 picks on offensive linemen. That’s too rich for my liking;

- waiting until the 3rd round to address our biggest need is a little to late for me. I do like Robertson but rather use one of our second rounders on either Bolton, Surratt, McGrone or Cox. Personal preference...

But yet again, we basically think the same. It was a great read as always. Keep it going! Some things never change; we die hards keep making mock drafts even on a new EMB!

I like a lot of what you suggest but...

Using a first round pick on a LT? Hmm I'm not so sure. 

I like the idea of having a camp battle between Mailata and Dillard. If that doesn't work then in 2022 draft we need to take a LT high but let's see how that battle plays out first. 

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

- Just looked it up but trading Cox would result in 13 million in dead money, BG 17 million and Jackson 12 million. Can’t trade all 3 of them. Not only would it be a serious financial hit, it also would deplete our DL significantly. One will be enough.

Got to agree with my buddy Ray here. That is a significant cap hit and that leaves us woefully short. I'd trade Cox because he's got the trade value. I'd keep Jackson and BG. Perhaps we can restructure Malik? Free up a bit of cap on him and have Hargrave and Malik as the DT duo going forwards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like a lot of what you suggest but...

Using a first round pick on a LT? Hmm I'm not so sure. 

I like the idea of having a camp battle between Mailata and Dillard. If that doesn't work then in 2022 draft we need to take a LT high but let's see how that battle plays out first. 

Got to agree with my buddy Ray here. That is a significant cap hit and that leaves us woefully short. I'd trade Cox because he's got the trade value. I'd keep Jackson and BG. Perhaps we can restructure Malik? Free up a bit of cap on him and have Hargrave and Malik as the DT duo going forwards?

My thoughts exactly!

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

My thoughts exactly!

Hey Ray thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and same for you UK!

LT I hope is addressed with Dillard, and Mailata I just have my doubts. My view is if you're in position to acquire a true stud for 10-12 years you get him and let the cards fall where they may. Now if Mailata continues to do well and build on that then yes I would certainly look at another position perhaps even linebacker.

The cap and the dead space ramifications are bit over my head I admit but I really am willing to blow it all up on defense especially. I highly doubt Goodwin would ever be a real consideration given the cap issues, but one can dream right? lol

I went with Duce because I believe if they stick with Doug and he cleans house with the notion its two years or your ass he's going to roll with his own. I certainly would.

The big thing is Howie and his personnel and scouting teams need to be shown the door if not and I think we all agree here on this it will only get worse and stay worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slade said:

Hey Ray thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and same for you UK!

LT I hope is addressed with Dillard, and Mailata I just have my doubts. My view is if you're in position to acquire a true stud for 10-12 years you get him and let the cards fall where they may. Now if Mailata continues to do well and build on that then yes I would certainly look at another position perhaps even linebacker.

The cap and the dead space ramifications are bit over my head I admit but I really am willing to blow it all up on defense especially. I highly doubt Goodwin would ever be a real consideration given the cap issues, but one can dream right? lol

I went with Duce because I believe if they stick with Doug and he cleans house with the notion its two years or your ass he's going to roll with his own. I certainly would.

The big thing is Howie and his personnel and scouting teams need to be shown the door if not and I think we all agree here on this it will only get worse and stay worse.

We’ll see what happens but I’m with you; hate to see my team lose but it’s the only way things might drastically change. 

I’m a die hard Eagles fan but when it comes to the draft Howie’s failing for years. The consequence of constantly missing out on young talent is finding yourselves in cap hell eventually.

It saddens me to say it but it’ll be for the best if they lose as many games as possible this season. Not only will we have high draft picks but Lurie might also come to the conclusion Howie’s holding this team back and change is needed.

What’ll happen (or not) at the trade deadline will give us a clue of this teams intentions. If they’re not sellers, they’re clearly delusional in thinking they have a shot and be contenders. Making the play-offs in an awful division shouldn’t be the goal. Building a team that’ll contend for a championship for a couple of years should be.

We’re far from it IMO. Our best players are entering or are already deep in the twilight of their careers and we have no young talent to step into their footsteps.

We have to get out of the next draft with at least 4 to 5 quality players who’ll turn out to be building blocks for the future.

We need a different manager to do that. Howie is not the one. He has given us 10 years of data he’s not capable of building a team through the draft. Hence our bad cap situation.

Personally I want them to trade Ertz for a late second a.s.a.p and love them to go corner, linebacker and receiver with their first 3 picks.

Top 10-15; Surtain, Farley or Wade

2nd; Bolton, Surratt, McGrone or Cox 

2nd; Olave, St.Brown or Wallace

Any combination would be a dream come true for me...

Addressing the CB and LB position is obvious. For WR I’ve been studying sure handed slot receivers, the true QB’s best friends in the vein of Kupp, Jefferson (my draft crush last year), Thomas and Allen. 

The way I see it (and hope turns out to be) is that Fulgham is de real deal at X (backed up by JJAW and Hightower),  Reagor turns into a good Z (back up Watkins) and that leads us to slot where Ward is a passable option but could easily be upgraded with Olave, St. Brown (yep, another Trojans receiver 😔) or Wallace (love that kid).

If Wentz can turn it around, albeit with a new QB coach, and our young offensive lineman pan out, our offense is set up great for years.

With the additions of a top CB and LB under the guidance of a somewhat better / more balanced coördinator, the defense also should be better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

We’ll see what happens but I’m with you; hate to see my team lose but it’s the only way things might drastically change. 

I’m a die hard Eagles fan but when it comes to the draft Howie’s failing for years. The consequence of constantly missing out on young talent is finding yourselves in cap hell eventually.

It saddens me to say it but it’ll be for the best if they lose as many games as possible this season. Not only will we have high draft picks but Lurie might also come to the conclusion Howie’s holding this team back and change is needed.

What’ll happen (or not) at the trade deadline will give us a clue of this teams intentions. If they’re not sellers, they’re clearly delusional in thinking they have a shot and be contenders. Making the play-offs in an awful division shouldn’t be the goal. Building a team that’ll contend for a championship for a couple of years should be.

We’re far from it IMO. Our best players are entering or are already deep in the twilight of their careers and we have no young talent to step into their footsteps.

We have to get out of the next draft with at least 4 to 5 quality players who’ll turn out to be building blocks for the future.

We need a different manager to do that. Howie is not the one. He has given us 10 years of data he’s not capable of building a team through the draft. Hence our bad cap situation.

Personally I want them to trade Ertz for a late second a.s.a.p and love them to go corner, linebacker and receiver with their first 3 picks.

Top 10-15; Surtain, Farley or Wade

2nd; Bolton, Surratt, McGrone or Cox 

2nd; Olave, St.Brown or Wallace

Any combination would be a dream come true for me...

Addressing the CB and LB position is obvious. For WR I’ve been studying sure handed slot receivers, the true QB’s best friends in the vein of Kupp, Jefferson (my draft crush last year), Thomas and Allen. 

The way I see it (and hope turns out to be) is that Fulgham is de real deal at X (backed up by JJAW and Hightower),  Reagor turns into a good Z (back up Watkins) and that leads us to slot where Ward is a passable option but could easily be upgraded with Olave, St. Brown (yep, another Trojans receiver 😔) or Wallace (love that kid).

If Wentz can turn it around, albeit with a new QB coach, and our young offensive lineman pan out, our offense is set up great for years.

With the additions of a top CB and LB under the guidance of a somewhat better / more balanced coördinator, the defense also should be better.

Ray bro I agree with every word you said. You just said it all and deserve a mic drop!

6 hours ago, Slade said:

Ray bro I agree with every word you said. You just said it all and deserve a mic drop!

Thx, buddy! Don’t get me wrong. Love your mock draft, I really dp but I just don’t want them to miss out on a top corner and linebacker yet again. Priority No. 1a) and b) this offseason in my book at least.

A new DC who doesn’t hang it all up on the Dline play but also values the LB and DB position, one who believes you’re as strong as your weakest link and sees the defense as one unit instead of 3 separate ones, is what this team needs. Venables is exactly the type of coördinator we need IMO.

If the rookie CB pans out, we will be talking about one of the best cornerback duo’s  in the entire league and adding a top LB would give that unit a huge boost.

Give CW an elite weapon in the short and intermediate range and there’ll be no more excuses for the former North Dakota Bison.

• 3 weeks later...

Slade - glad to see you are thinking. 

That $60 million is a killer. Several of the players you want to move will cost more to move than to keep - check overthecap.com and spotrac.com - there's great info there. 

I don't think we sign any of our own free agents except Johnston. 

Barnett, Curry, Gerry, Riley, Mills, NRC, LeBlanc, Peters, Sudfeld, Clement, Ridgeway, Ford, Parks, and Rodgers are all FA's and none come back unless it's at the minimum. that in itself if frightening  - it would mean no one else wanted them.  Those free agents are not in next year's cap so now Howie has to work the $60M down. 

We could move Cox but would only save in the neighborhood of $3M and would have $24M in dead money. Wouldn't trade him unless I got a 1 and a 2 and that's not happening. 

Cutting Jeffrey save $8M so that's a done deal. 

Moving Ertz saves $4.7 but with his injury and down year what can we get. I'd do it and hope for a 2 would settle for a 4, but there's no choice other than moving on from him. Another done deal - Desean saves us $5.1.

Moving Johnson or Brooks would cost us cap dollars but I would expect additional years on their deals and salary converted to bonus.  We'd only save $1.7  moving Kelce so why bother. Graham would only save us less than a million and would cost beau coup dead money so that's a no. Malik Jackson is another one where the savings would be less than a million. 

Not bringing Barnett back would save $10M - to me that makes it an automatic. 

So - the total for Ertz, Jeffrey, Jackson, and Barnett is $27.8M leaving us with another $32M to figure out. 

Not much else there so look for Cox, Wentz, Johnson, Brooks, and Hargrave to restructure. 

So, if Howie can work that $#@M here's where we'll be. 

At DE  - Graham, Sweat, a draft pick (#2) and either Miller or Ostman.

At DT - Cox, Hargrave, Jackson, and Raekwon Williams

At LB - Edwards, Singleton and Bradley start. Taylor is backup #1 and a draft pick (#5) is backup #2

At CB - Maddox moves back to the slot. Slay and draft pick (#1) start outside. Another draft pick (#7comp)

At S - McLoud and Wallace start. Riley is a back up. Two draft picks(#6 and #7) make the roster

At QB - Wentz, Hurts, and draft pick (#6comp)

At RB- Sanders, Scott and draft pick (#3)

At WR - Fulgham, Reagor, Hightower, Ward, Watkins, and an undrafted free argent or Burnett

At TE - Goedert, Perkins, and Butler

At offensive line - Dillard, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Mailata, Driscoll, Herbig, Pryor, and a center draft pick #5