Jalen Hurts offers promise in Eagles' loss to Ravens

Road to Victory

https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/30452/jalen-hurts-offers-promise-in-eagles-loss-to-ravens

Jalen Hurts offers promise in Eagles' loss to Ravens

Tim McManus ESPN Staff Writer 

PHILADELPHIA -- The Eagles need to give quarterback Jalen Hurts a bigger role.

That has become increasingly obvious over the past several weeks, and was crystallized in Sunday's 30-28 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. An Eagles offense that was ineffective for long stretches sprang to life on the handful of plays Hurts was inserted into the lineup.

Philadelphia generated 109 yards on six plays out of two-quarterback looks (18.0 average), compared to 255 yards on the other 58 snaps (4.4 average). Hurts totaled 26 yards on three touches and gave the Ravens a little something extra to think about when he wasn't involved on the play, including on Miles Sanders' 74-yard run that resulted in a JJ Arcega-Whiteside touchdown.

The idea that Carson Wentz should be benched in favor of Hurts should be put on ice for now. Wentz nearly rallied a decimated offense back from a 16-point, fourth-quarter deficit, throwing for 213 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Not to mention, the Eagles are tied to Wentz financially after giving him a four-year, $128 million extension last summer. Sitting him is a move that would be very hard to come back from.

What Wentz needs are playmakers who will loosen defenses up and make life easier while he operates behind an unrecognizable offensive line and with a makeshift supporting cast. Hurts at the very least offers that. 

Troubling trend: The injuries continue to mount at an alarming rate. Sanders (knee) did not return following his long third-quarter run. Tight end Zach Ertzwas knocked out of the game with an ankle injury in the second half, and rookie right tackle Jack Driscoll (ankle) exited on a cart in the fourth quarter. Wentz and center Jason Kelce were the only original starters on offense still on the field by game's end.

Eye-popping stat: The Eagles ended the first quarter with 10 yards of offense on 11 plays, their lowest total in a quarter in the past two seasons.

Silver lining: Wide receiver Travis Fulgham continues to produce. He followed up his 10-catch, 152-yard performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers by grabbing six catches for 75 yards with a touchdown Sunday. The 2019 sixth-round pick of the Detroit Lions has 18 catches, 284 yards and three touchdowns in three games with the Eagles.

Hurts should be the swiss army knife in this offense.....move him all over the place, give him some carries, send him out on routes, use him on the occasional trick play......his athleticism needs to be utilized as much as possible but not for replacing Wentz.  

But I have my doubts with this coaching staff's ability to integrate him like that......

• Like 1

I don't know if this is possible. How is it Hurts might be able to help the Eagles when TATE was so angry that he was picked? 

Clearly there's a misunderstanding. 

I really want to see the Eagles use Hurts more. I think he brings an added dimension to this offense and this team really needs that. I know Wentz has improved over the last couple but I do think Hurts gives us something that keeps defenses off balance. 

Id like to see the team use him in some way on say 10 or so plays per game. 

did you see the spark the eagles got from having hurts on the field i am a patient eagles fan and i believe that carson wentz is an unbelievably talented player and has been underrated his entire career but for some reason the eagles player just don't gravitate to him like they did foles or hate to say it looks like hurts to when hurts goes onto the field it gives the eagles a spark and i think its very helpful and the eagles should incorporate hurts more 

28 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

did you see the spark the eagles got from having hurts on the field i am a patient eagles fan and i believe that carson wentz is an unbelievably talented player and has been underrated his entire career but for some reason the eagles player just don't gravitate to him like they did foles or hate to say it looks like hurts to when hurts goes onto the field it gives the eagles a spark and i think its very helpful and the eagles should incorporate hurts more 

I agree. 8-10 plays a game probably where half of which he’s merely a decoy sounds about right. Just like Hill in NO. I’m actually a big fan of Hurts. I know Saban discarded him for Tua, but rather than letting it kill his confidence and wallowing in obscurity he went to Oklahoma and lit it the F up. He has talent and I’ve watched some extended videos with him, he’s got a great grasp of the mental side of the game. And I think he represents our future. The NFL is migrating to the Mahomes, Lamar’s and Kyler’s of the world. 

Time will tell if he's more than trade bait or keeper depth. Until he plays extended time at QB, we won't know what kind of QB he is. It'll take another injury to Carson for that to happen, which no one wants. In the mean time, a handful of plays isn't a problem. 

13 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I agree. 8-10 plays a game probably where half of which he’s merely a decoy sounds about right. Just like Hill in NO. I’m actually a big fan of Hurts. I know Saban discarded him for Tua, but rather than letting it kill his confidence and wallowing in obscurity he went to Oklahoma and lit it the F up. He has talent and I’ve watched some extended videos with him, he’s got a great grasp of the mental side of the game. And I think he represents our future. The NFL is migrating to the Mahomes, Lamar’s and Kyler’s of the world. 

Precisely. Wentz, to his credit, has been much better the past two games... but if I’m being honest, I still don’t trust him. Just too inconsistent. You just know he’s going to go through another stretch of games at some point where he is terrible. Poor mechanics that still haven’t been fixed in year 5 is also going to be an issue. 

As for Hurts, I like him. Dynamic playmaker, and I do think the dual threat QB is the future. Hell, it can be argued that it’s already the present with some of the top QBs being Wilson, Mahomes, Watson, Murray, etc. Even Allen has some good mobility. I think in a couple years when Brady and Brees are done, and Rodgers is nearing the end, we’re going to be looking at a league where almost all of the top guys are run/pass threats.  Heck, even the top two projected QBs in this draft are those dual threat QBs. 

And before someone tries to argue that Wentz is/can be that type of QB, no. He can pick up some yards here and there catching the defense off guard, but he’s not nearly as athletic as that group I mentioned. 

• Like 1

Don't think the Hurts trick plays worked this week at all. And I thought they came at some really odd times too. Like after Wentz drives the team down for that late take the lead TD they put in Hurts for the 2 point conversion? That was really poor by Doug I thought. 

• Like 1

Hurts can't only be a RB. The defense was just waiting for him at the LOS. On that 2 point attempt if a TE or Ward was dragging across the field in the end zone Hurts would have had an option of passing the ball and the defense's would have been caught in no mans land. Piss poor play callin/ play making by the coaches, all 36 of them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Hurts can't only be a RB. The defense was just waiting for him at the LOS. On that 2 point attempt if a TE or Ward was dragging across the field in the end zone Hurts would have had an option of passing the ball and the defense's would have been caught in no mans land. Piss poor play callin/ play making by the coaches, all 36 of them. 

Yeah agreed. Putting Hurts in as a RB or on a play where his sole option is to run is just a mistake! And also why bother? He's a QB who can run so why just use him on run plays that makes no sense.

• Like 1