Home comebacks vs. the Giants and turning around the season (2017-2019)

CHIP72

It remains to be seen what kind of impact the Eagles’ come from behind win over the Giants on Thursday night will have on the rest of their season. What is known is in each of the last three seasons (2017 to 2019), the Eagles' home game against the Giants 1) featured a 4th quarter comeback by the Eagles to win the game and 2) ended up serving as a positive turning point in the Eagles' season.

*In 2017, the Eagles (1-1), who lost to the Chiefs the week before, hosted the Giants in Week 3. After controlling the game for the first three quarters, the Eagles allowed the Giants to come back and take 21-14 and 24-21 leads in the 4th quarter. The guys in green then put together a drive in the last 3 minutes and kicked a field goal with just over a minute in regulation to tie the game. After stopping the Giants on their ensuing possession in the last minute, the Eagles managed to get the ball back in the final seconds and get enough yards on offense to kick a 61 yard FG as time expired to win the game 27-24. The win was the first of nine straight victories, and the Eagles finished the regular season at 13-3 and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

*In 2018, the Eagles (4-6), who were crushed by the Saints 48-7 the previous week, played at home against the Giants in Week 12. The Giants jumped out to a 19-3 lead late in the 2nd quarter before the Eagles scored a touchdown and 2 point conversation shortly before halftime. The Eagles still trailed 19-14 entering the 4th quarter, but scored a touchdown to take the lead.  After the Giants responded with a field goal to tie the game, the Eagles kicked a field goal of their own in the last minute of regulation to win 25-22. The win started a 5-1 stretch to close out the regular season, which allowed the Eagles to sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 as a wild-card team; the Eagles also won a playoff game against the Bears.

*In 2019, the Eagles (5-7), who were shocked by the Dolphins a week earlier, battled the Giants in Philadelphia in Week 14. The Giants had a 17-3 lead at halftime and still led 17-10 at the beginning of the 4th quarter. However, the Eagles scored a tying touchdown with less than 2 minutes remaining in regulation, and then scored a touchdown in overtime to complete the comeback and win 23-17. The win was the first of four straight wins to close out the season, enabling the Eagles to win the NFC East and make the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

Will the Eagles' most recent comeback win at home against the Giants again serve as a spur to turn the Eagles season around? We'll find out in the coming weeks.

The comeback was great. It showed resilience and fight. This team doesn't quit and doesn't know when it is beat and that's a reflection on the HC.

But... When all is said and done? This comeback just hurts this team. When we look back at the end of our season with another draft pick around the 20s and Howie still as GM we will rue this win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The comeback was great. It showed resilience and fight. This team doesn't quit and doesn't know when it is beat and that's a reflection on the HC.

But... When all is said and done? This comeback just hurts this team. When we look back at the end of our season with another draft pick around the 20s and Howie still as GM we will rue this win.

Winning never "hurts." What kind of messed up world is this when people buy this propaganda? There is no evidence to support the concept that losing now = better for upcoming seasons. We all understand that drafting earlier helps a team in the first round get a higher "rated" prospect. We also know that the higher you pick someone, the more disappointing it is if that player doesn't work out. In the last 2 years, we invested a 1, a 2, a 5, and a 6 at WR and so far our best result has been  Fulgham. That doesn't mean the other guys are all bad. It means you have to constantly be looking for players that can improve the team. So if you pick with the 4th pick or the 24th pick, the job is the same. But everybody's job out there is to win football games. You know what the best thing about Fulgham's development so far has been? It's that he's been a huge part of our 2 wins and also a huge contributor and spark on our team that never quit in those 2 losses. 

What I find really hilarious about the "Lose to be better later" concept is that fans are cheating themselves out of being happy. They've found a way to be miserable with every win we put together. As fans, we get so caught up thinking we're actually part of the team. This is entertainment. We choose to involve our emotions by embracing a team. We all want our team to be great. We're critical when they are not. But often times we go way too far in our criticism. We have tied our hearts so close to our team that we take things personal. We are not employed by the team. Playing football isn't our jobs. There are professional players, coaches, and staff out there that this is their job --- and we have the gall to actually want them to lose their jobs. It's actually pretty disturbing when you think about it. Their "jobs" are to prepare for and play a 16-game regular season schedule that hopefully will turn into a few more games. Why are they doing this? For our entertainment. If you think for 1 minute that the struggling, banged-up Eagles from the NFL's poorest ranked division, beating a losing division rival Giants team that has been struggling to rebuild the last few years, while having to come from behind (2 scores down with 6 minutes left), playing in front of 5500 fans and some cardboard cutouts, didn't provide you with a great football memory, then what are you even wasting your time watching regular season games for? I will never rue last night's game. I will never rue The Miracle in the Meadowlands, The Bounty Bowl, The House of Pain game, watching Montgomery own the cowboys in the NFCCG, watching Cunningham play, 4th and 26, watching McCoy in the snow... etc... 

If Rue-ing Is what you do, then rue away. I choose to root for the Eagles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Winning never "hurts." What kind of messed up world is this when people buy this propaganda? There is no evidence to support the concept that losing now = better for upcoming seasons. We all understand that drafting earlier helps a team in the first round get a higher "rated" prospect. We also know that the higher you pick someone, the more disappointing it is if that player doesn't work out. In the last 2 years, we invested a 1, a 2, a 5, and a 6 at WR and so far our best result has been  Fulgham. That doesn't mean the other guys are all bad. It means you have to constantly be looking for players that can improve the team. So if you pick with the 4th pick or the 24th pick, the job is the same. But everybody's job out there is to win football games. You know what the best thing about Fulgham's development so far has been? It's that he's been a huge part of our 2 wins and also a huge contributor and spark on our team that never quit in those 2 losses. 

What I find really hilarious about the "Lose to be better later" concept is that fans are cheating themselves out of being happy. They've found a way to be miserable with every win we put together. As fans, we get so caught up thinking we're actually part of the team. This is entertainment. We choose to involve our emotions by embracing a team. We all want our team to be great. We're critical when they are not. But often times we go way too far in our criticism. We have tied our hearts so close to our team that we take things personal. We are not employed by the team. Playing football isn't our jobs. There are professional players, coaches, and staff out there that this is their job --- and we have the gall to actually want them to lose their jobs. It's actually pretty disturbing when you think about it. Their "jobs" are to prepare for and play a 16-game regular season schedule that hopefully will turn into a few more games. Why are they doing this? For our entertainment. If you think for 1 minute that the struggling, banged-up Eagles from the NFL's poorest ranked division, beating a losing division rival Giants team that has been struggling to rebuild the last few years, while having to come from behind (2 scores down with 6 minutes left), playing in front of 5500 fans and some cardboard cutouts, didn't provide you with a great football memory, then what are you even wasting your time watching regular season games for? I will never rue last night's game. I will never rue The Miracle in the Meadowlands, The Bounty Bowl, The House of Pain game, watching Montgomery own the cowboys in the NFCCG, watching Cunningham play, 4th and 26, watching McCoy in the snow... etc... 

If Rue-ing Is what you do, then rue away. I choose to root for the Eagles. 

This win is just another reason for Howie to stick around for X number of years doing what he did...Kicking the can down the road. Long term thinking vs Short term excitement. The fundamental flaws that Howie created are still here. The bad scouting, bad drafting, and bad deals. Next year will be worse. As much as I love my Eagles and happy for the victory and the resilience they have shown today...perhaps it would have been better in the long term, if we would have lost and undermined the management that brought us to the state of being irrelevant. Howie has to go ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I am perfectly happy actually. I have accepted that this team isn't very good. I watch each game relaxed and for the most part calm. I want them to win on game day but if they don't then I walk away from the game and leave it behind. Sure we all discuss the issues in the following days but surely that's the point of a forum which I am sure you agree with. Do I, and we as fans, get too invested? Oh absolutely. You are right we are not employed by this team, our day to day jobs and lives are not affected by the Eagles results. The team could go 0-16 forever and it should not greatly affect our lives. But as fans we get involved and we get attached, lots of fans of lots of teams do it.

On game day I will reiterate that I want them to win. But following each win, each loss, that is the time as fans to reflect is it not? And surely on a forum we want to discuss how things may be improved? How this team could turn things around? How this team could go on a run and win the SB? Be it this year, be it next year, be it in 10 years time. Surely we come on a forum to discuss such ideas? If not then why bother posting on here?

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I am perfectly happy actually. I have accepted that this team isn't very good. I watch each game relaxed and for the most part calm. I want them to win on game day but if they don't then I walk away from the game and leave it behind. Sure we all discuss the issues in the following days but surely that's the point of a forum which I am sure you agree with. Do I, and we as fans, get too invested? Oh absolutely. You are right we are not employed by this team, our day to day jobs and lives are not affected by the Eagles results. The team could go 0-16 forever and it should not greatly affect our lives. But as fans we get involved and we get attached, lots of fans of lots of teams do it.

On game day I will reiterate that I want them to win. But following each win, each loss, that is the time as fans to reflect is it not? And surely on a forum we want to discuss how things may be improved? How this team could turn things around? How this team could go on a run and win the SB? Be it this year, be it next year, be it in 10 years time. Surely we come on a forum to discuss such ideas? If not then why bother posting on here?

I think people post on the internet to display their persona for all to see. Critics are going to criticize, pessimists are going to pessimate (made that word up), supporters are going to root and cheer. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I think people post on the internet to display their persona for all to see. Critics are going to criticize, pessimists are going to pessimate (made that word up), supporters are going to root and cheer. 

But it's like you are saying that all fans have to be happy and fluffy with what we are seeing? I just don't buy in to that. This team is not good. This team blows right now. Doesn't mean that I done support them and of course I want them to win.