Alex Singleton

RebelJedi

Came in during the Sunday Night game vs. San Francisco, got an interception return for a touchdown

Last thursday vs. the Giants, ran through DeVonta Freeman and got to Daniel Jones (albeit failed to sack Jones but still a flashy play from him)

Thoughts on him?

He’s done well but is far from perfect. Ken Flajole has really done a lot of good with crappy talent. 

Like previously mentioned, he is trending upwards....let's just hope it continues in that manner....

Let him play. Get TJ Edwards back. Let Devion Taylor get his feet wet. Kick Gerry in the nuts. Then to the curb. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

His level of play is exactly what I'd expect from a 1st guy off the bench backup LB'er and Special Teams player. The fact that he seems like a difference making player is an indictment of the F.O. more than a true assessment of him. They ignore and miss on the position group to the point that a good fill in guy looks great compared to the rest. I can still remember what excellent LB'er play looked like...

<<<<<<-----------------It looked like this guy's play.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

He is getting better every game. I hope he keeps trending that way.

Only a matter of time before we have SOMEONE  serviceable at LB, right? And when we do... we let em walk.

1 hour ago, EagleMatt said:

Only a matter of time before we have SOMEONE  serviceable at LB, right? And when we do... we let em walk.

Or injury 

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

His level of play is exactly what I'd expect from a 1st guy off the bench backup LB'er and Special Teams player. The fact that he seems like a difference making player is an indictment of the F.O. more than a true assessment of him. They ignore and miss on the position group to the point that a good fill in guy looks great compared to the rest. I can still remember what excellent LB'er play looked like...

This is how I feel about our WRs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is how I feel about our WRs.

And rightfully so. Injuries aside, they don't find excellent WR's either.

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

The main difference is that they have bad LBs while not trying and have bad WRs despite a major investment.

• Like 3

On a team like ours who promotes new players from practice squad weekly, he is a starter material.  Very good blitzer and special teamer, who sometimes lacks in coverage skills if starting. Can be utilized in packages on a good team.

54 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The main difference is that they have bad LBs while not trying and have bad WRs despite a major investment.

Only one of the receivers is "bad”.

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think all Eagles fans that were watching games back then love Seth Joyner. But Seth Joyner the rookie wasn't Seth Joyner the vet. He had to wait for his opportunity on a team that was also looking for all new LBs. He had a lot of improving to do early on. He was motivated and he put in the work to become the player he was.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I think all Eagles fans that were watching games back then love Seth Joyner. But Seth Joyner the rookie wasn't Seth Joyner the vet. He had to wait for his opportunity on a team that was also looking for all new LBs. He had a lot of improving to do early on. He was motivated and he put in the work to become the player he was.  

I agree that no rookie is fully developed, but it didn't take very long for Joyner to start his ascent despite being the 208th overall pick. As I remember it, he flashed as a rookie and we knew we had a really good one by the end of the strike shortened year 2. The rest is history.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast Sfty AV
Career       195 172 24 307 2 43   26 3 12 65 3 52.0 1123 181 67   102
8 yrs PHI     120 113 17 286 2 43   21 2 8 65 3 37.0 875   0   72
3 yrs ARI     48 48 7 21 0 11   5 1 4 0 0 12.0 209 152 57   24
1 yr DEN     16 1                     0.0 5 4 1   1
1 yr GNB     11 10                     3.0 34 25 9   5
1986 22 PHI rlb 59 14 7 1 4 0 4   1 0 0 0 0 2.0 44       4
1987 23 PHI LLB 59 12 12 2 42 0 29   2 0 2 18 1 4.0 96       6
1988 24 PHI LLB 59 16 16 4 96 0 30   1 1 1 0 0 3.5 136       9
1989 25 PHI LLB 59 14 14 1 0 0 0   3 0 0 0 0 5.0 123       7
1990 26 PHI LLB 59 16 16 1 9 0 9   3 1 0 0 0 7.5 132       7
1991* 27 PHI LLB 59 16 16 3 41 0 41   6 0 4 47 2 6.5 110       15
1992 28 PHI LLB 59 16 16 4 88 2 43   3 0 1 0 0 6.5 121       15
1993* 29 PHI LLB 59 16 16 1 6 0 6   2 0 0 0 0 2.0 113       9
1994* 30 ARI LLB 59 16 16 3 2 0 2   3 0 0 0 0 6.0 53 38 15   12
1995 31 ARI LLB 59 16 16 3 9 0 11   1 1 3 0 0 1.0 70 50 20   6
1996 32 ARI LLB 59 16 16 1 10 0 10   1 0 1 0 0 5.0 86 64 22   6
1997 33 GNB LLB 54 11 10                     3.0 34 25 9   5
1998 34 DEN   99 16 1                     0.0 5 4 1   1

My point is excellent LB'er play makes a big difference but this team doesn't seem to care about that at all, which is sad.

I think Singletons is decent. If we had good LBs he'd provide decent depth. I'm not sure on a good who value their LBs that he'd be a starter but I like him. He's flashed and he's done more than Gerry!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Let him play. Get TJ Edwards back. Let Devion Taylor get his feet wet. Kick Gerry in the nuts. Then to the curb. 

Trade Gerry to Baltimore for LJ Fort.  Throw Howie in to sweeten the deal.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Or CBs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Trade Gerry to Baltimore for LJ Fort.  Throw Howie in to sweeten the deal.  

That could result in the Ravens giving us the silent treatment. Like getting the wife a dustpan on her birthday. :lol: 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This position on the Eagles needs all the assistance it can get.

So if he can just play 'ok' for now, and then actually get a bit better each week, I am all for it!

I think the biggest variable impacting the rest of our season on defense is how Schwartz decides to handle the back seven.

I have no idea how he evaluates his players, but it's pretty clear that our top three linebackers are Singleton, Edwards, Riley,. And there's no excuse not the play Singleton and Edwards together, since they did that a lot during the preseason last year, and looked good working as a tandem.

Playing Gerry or Riley as the LB3 is probably a wash, but to me there isn't any question that Singleton and Edwards should be the two primary linebackers.

With Maddox probably close to 100 percent, my guess is he is back at CB2 and they keep Mills at safety, which to me is another mistake. Mills seems to be our best option at CB2 and Parks is the best option at SS, if for no other reason than he has had success in that role while at Denver. Maddox or LeBlanc can play the slot, but my guess is that Schwartz sticks with NRC for reasons that I just don't get. 

Obviously Schwartz should have a better idea than anyone else on who can play where, but it seems like we are making a lot of bad decisions on the defensive side of the ball over the last few seasons in terms of both who is on the roster and who is on the field. Gerry and NRC in particular are struggling this year, but he seems unwilling to bench them.

• Like 1

I believe one of the biggest reasons we haven't seen Gerry replaced yet is because I'm not sure any of the other LBs are ready to wear the headset helmet and get the calls out to the defense. Hicks used to do it, then Bradham and this year it has been Gerry with the responsibility. Edwards isn't seen as a 3 down LB yet, so he won't be the guy. Until we get a clear picture of who can be the guy and they prove in practice they can handle the responsibility, Gerry will continue to stay out there.