Tylan Wallace (Oklahoma State WR) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #131

Ray75

37E3CA6F-4052-4513-B0C6-96F6E6CE0BA4.jpeg

6-0ft / 185 lbs

Scouting report;

Wallace is an absolute dog when targeted. When targeted, you already know Wallace will give his all to fight for the ball. He makes no qualms exposing his body over the middle on dig routes or elevated along the sideline with a safety closing because his (bad) quarterback never even dreamed to look said safety off. He simply wants the football. He’s a finisher! 

That same mentality shows up as a blocker as well. It would be disingenuous to call him a great blocker, but he definitely takes pride in this area highlighting his effort level. Wallace does a good job taking strong angles and creating good positional leverage allowing him to shield off defenders from a rushing lane. He does a good job sinking down, creating a wide base, and flashing tight hands to engage. But, when a defender doesn’t have a keen eye on him, he’ll sneak up and really attempt to deliver a blow to disrupt a defender’s balance.

Wallace contorts his body in unimaginable ways to finish catches outside his frame and through defenders. 

This allows him to finish bad-ball catches with a sense of ease you don’t see from most other receivers. He’s able to drive on stop routes to come back to the football and dive low for out-of-frame shoestring catches.

But his flexibility doesn’t just help him get to passes in the air. His ease of movement allows him to easily sink his hips to plant and drive on stop routes and he easily bends his ankles and tilts his upper half to carry speed into intermediate route breaks.

Wallace is a strong hands catcher whose ability is accentuated by his flexibility and catch radius. But that’s not the end of the story for him as a pass-catcher. He has some of the best reactive athleticism in football. One would have a tough time finding a player who can react to and flash hands as late in the process as Wallace. This makes adjusting to the football in the air look easy for him. If he’s able to cleanly get two hands on the ball he finishes.

Even with his lack of ideal size, he provides physicality at the top of routes allowing him to create enough of a throwing window for his QB to feel comfortable hitting.

But his best attribute in this area comes against off coverage. He does a phenomenal job of selling vertically, stemming his route right at the center of the cornerback before sinking down, stepping on the defender’s toes, restemming as if he’s going to hit a secondary release going vertically, and open up the taps to separate deep. Then he plants hard and drives back to the football, whether on a curl or comeback.

The reactive athleticism Wallace displays in his ability to flash late hands and eyes follows him post catch as well. He does an outstanding job making the first immediate defender miss with a strong plan and smooth change of direction. He doesn’t have the speed to scare pursuit angles and he won’t break a ton of strong tackle attempts, but he’s no slouch. 

He takes an extremely aggressive approach with the way he attacks the ball in the air, and this regularly allows Wallace to maintain forward momentum when he comes down with the ball, aiding his ability to pick up yards after the catch.

Possessing the vision to spot running lanes and elusiveness to make defenders miss, Wallace is a dangerous prospect in the open field and his fluidity in changing direction does translate to his route-running. 

Wallace does an extremely impressive job against off coverage, generating separation by selling upfield routes to get defenders on the back foot and gain leverage before breaking back to the inside.

Conclusion;

Excellent in traffic and also a consistent high point catcher that doesn’t contain a top floor on his elevator when attacking passes vertically. A snatch and tuck wideout who hardly ever bobbles or double catches passes even if in chaotic surroundings. He’s an extremely strong and competitive YAC runner, who isn’t afraid to lower his shoulder and invite contact. Wallace is highly effective as a perimeter run blocker. He isn’t afraid to mix it up and remain physical with defensive backs. He’s shown to be capable of uprooting or turning them into desired directions in order to clear lanes for ball carriers. 

Projection: day two /mid 2nd round

You trying to steal my thread? 

My boy.

I was so disappointed he stayed in school.  Wanted him last year. 

He looks a little slower this year after the injury.  But still really good.  And Id bet on him regaining more of that speed back by the time he done with combine training.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

You trying to steal my thread? 

My boy.

I was so disappointed he stayed in school.  Wanted him last year. 

He looks a little slower this year after the injury.  But still really good.  And Id bet on him regaining more of that speed back by the time he done with combine training.

Why would I?!

• 5 months later...

If for some reason the Eagles don’t draft WR in the first two rounds they’d be very lucky to have Wallace on the board at #70.  I think he will be a very good NFL WR