Eagles-Cowboys: State of Our Offense and Defense

time2rock

Not even yet at the season's midpoint, the Cowboys have turned into a dumpster fire getting smoked 2 weeks in a row by the Cardinals (who no doubt are on the rise) and a bad Washington football team.  They have scored a combined 13 points against those 2 opponents.  If they manage to put up more than 17 on us next Sunday night it will be a real indictment of just how bad our defense has become.

On the flip side, the Dallas defense is giving up points at a historical pace.  Since week 1: 39 to Atlanta, 38 to Seattle, 49 to Cleveland (?!?!), 34 to the Giants, 38 to Arizona, and 25 to that Kyle Allen led bad Washington football team.  If we don't put up at least 30 against them Sunday night it will just lend further proof to just how bad our offensive scheme has become - one that has become completely uncreative, boring, and predictable.  

We should win this game by 2 TDs.  I know, "any given Sunday", division game, injuries, yadda yadda.  But if we don't smoke them too (or worse yet lose to them) it should definitely resonate loudly with Lurie come season's end when evaluating this coaching staff.  

• Like 2

Yup. If ever there were a week to have a great offensive output, this is it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

Don't worry Peters is about to return to get Wentz killed. 

He can just throw to his hot rea...

Aw crap!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yup. If ever there were a week to have a great offensive output, this is it. 

Ditto the defense to have a great showing.  

• Like 1

It will be hard to really expect offensive domination against even a poorly playing defense if our O-Line plays like they have the last couple weeks. A bad defense may be just what we need to "look good," but the other team is probably saying that pitiful O-Line is just what they need to make their D look good. 

Given the state of our line with all the injuries and different line-ups we've employed each week, we can hope for improvement, but we probably should not expect more than mild improvement until we get a couple healthy bodies back. Right now I'll take any wins, ugly or pretty. If we can manage that and at the same time start getting a few key players back in the next few weeks, good teams like Arizona and Seattle have defenses that aren't exactly scaring me either. 

• Like 1

I agree, but ultimately I just wanna win. But wouldn't be surprised if we make DiNucci look like Joe Montana. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I agree, but ultimately I just wanna win. But wouldn't be surprised if we make DiNucci look like Joe Montana. 

That has ALWAYS been the case with this defense.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Is the mediocre Dalton definitely out ?

Because I was so looking forward to him having that one game a season where he looks vaguely competent against us 🙄

Not.

12 minutes ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Because I was so looking forward to him having that one game a season where he looks vaguely competent against us 🙄

Not.

Not 100% sure.

17 minutes ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Not.

I'd be surprised if Dalton is cleared before next weeks game. That was a hell of a hit

Battle of the NFC Least. No way Dalton is ready for this one after the horrendous shot he took. If he does play he will be running from his own shadow. That was a violent destruction. Man. Feel bad for the dude. Oh yeah and zeke suddenly has butter fingers. Hope we see him more than Pollard.

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It will be hard to really expect offensive domination against even a poorly playing defense if our O-Line plays like they have the last couple weeks. A bad defense may be just what we need to "look good," but the other team is probably saying that pitiful O-Line is just what they need to make their D look good. 

Given the state of our line with all the injuries and different line-ups we've employed each week, we can hope for improvement, but we probably should not expect more than mild improvement until we get a couple healthy bodies back. Right now I'll take any wins, ugly or pretty. If we can manage that and at the same time start getting a few key players back in the next few weeks, good teams like Arizona and Seattle have defenses that aren't exactly scaring me either. 

Some of the teams putting up big numbers on Dallas don't have stellar OLs either.  I think part of our offensive issues (and struggles of the OL) come from Doug's play calling, asking them to pass protect on 45 plays with only 12 runs sprinkled in here and there.  With a banged up OL it would be easier on them to dial up more run plays.  His balance is so out of whack it is ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Why do I get the feeling we are going to make DiNucci the next Joe Webb.  

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Some of the teams putting up big numbers on Dallas don't have stellar OLs either.  I think part of our offensive issues (and struggles of the OL) come from Doug's play calling, asking them to pass protect on 45 plays with only 12 runs sprinkled in here and there.  With a banged up OL it would be easier on them to dial up more run plays.  His balance is so out of whack it is ridiculous.  

Is it out of whack because they are always behind in these games?

5 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Is it out of whack because they are always behind in these games?

If we were behind by double digits I could see that argument.  But we've either had the lead for a good portion of some of these games (SF, NY in particular come to mind) or we’re behind but the score is close and the balance is still skewed heavily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Why do I get the feeling we are going to make DiNucci the next Joe Webb.  

Its what we do.

Dallas - 27

Eagles - 24

DiNucci - 22-31  310 - 2td's 1 int

Zeke - 42 yards 

Pollard - 128 yards and a td 

1 hour ago, EagleMatt said:

I expect dallass 3rd qb to look like Brady vs our D

this, our defense never fails to allow an unknown back up look like a probowl qb atleast once a year....i really hope this isnt the game that it happens.

As we saw Thurs night with the VaGiants, NFCE games are always tough and hard to predict.  However, the Cowgirls are a red hot F'ing mess right now.  They are down to their 3rd string rookie QB, their OL has injuries and starters out, their D is probably the worst in the NFL this season and last game vs the Wanker Football Team they looked like they gave up and they don't play for each other.

We're coming in with 3 days extra rest and preparation and our team has showed fight the last few games, even if we lost 2 of them.  They didn't quit.  The Cowgirls quit.  We should win this game and if we don't I hope it's a wake call to Lurie that this organization needs some changes that aren't minor ones.  We're not a good football team right now, but the Cowgirls are disinterested quitters.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I agree, but ultimately I just wanna win. But wouldn't be surprised if we make DiNucci look like Joe Montana Webb.

FYP

Wouldn't be surprised at all, just because that's how life goes as an Eagles fan, if Dallas has their best defensive game of the year come Sunday.

How about just staying in "don't quit no matter ho bad it looks like"...that is enough for me given the situation we are in