Who is the most valuable to his team?

xzmattzx

The MVP award seems to be more accurately described as who had the best season: a "Player of the Year" award.

Who, then, is  the most valuable player in the league?  In other words, who is the absolute last player in the league that a team should let go?

Through the 2000s and into the 2010s, it was arguably Tom Brady.  Or was it?  Nowadays, it seems that Patrick Mahomes is the most valuable to his team in the league, this year and going forward.  Agree?

• Like 1

The only person someone could argue for this year is probably Russell Wilson.  However, if you gave me a choice, I'd choose Mahomes over Wilson.  Wilson is awesome and will probably win MVP (deservedly so), but I still think Mahomes is on a different planet.  They can do whatever they want on offense and humiliate their opponent because of his ridiculous arm, decision making, and accuracy to all those blazing fast weapons.  

I'm not sure about Mahomes. We haven't seen him play without all of that talent

Wilson we've seen for years without much. Though this year he has Lockett and DK and is on fire

I think Wilson takes the MVP this year

I think Wilson is most valuable to his team. 

Mahomes is incredible there's no doubt about that but he's also playing with a lot of really good weapons and he's given pretty good protection.

For years Wilson has had a terrible OL and has never been given the best of weapons. This year he now has Metcalf whos emerged as one of the best WRs in the league but until now it's been Wilson dragging Seattle to the play offs. I mean in recent years their defense hasn't even been very good so what Wilson has managed to do is incredible. 

• Like 1

Wilson is a perennial MVP candidate, or should be. 

As crazy as it sounds, Prescott missing from little D's lineup has certainly had a major negative effect.  

I think Mahomes. The guys is awesome. Montana had weapons too but no one would say he wasn't a great quarterback and a tremendous leader on offense

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

I think Mahomes. The guys is awesome. Montana had weapons too but no one would say he wasn't a great quarterback and a tremendous leader on awesome. 

Mahomes is awesome and it's a really tricky one to call. It is actually a fun debate to have really. I just think what Wilson has done, with less makes him even more important to that Seattle team. I think if you swap Wilson and Mahomes it would be really interesting to see how that plays out. 

4 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Is there any chance that the most valuable player in the league is not a quarterback?

Absolutely... Go on?

Certainly team to team you can make that argument. Look at the Bears. Awful offence but some players on that defense really do dominate. 

14 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Is there any chance that the most valuable player in the league is not a quarterback?

I would think Dalvin Cook could have a shot if he continues to play as he has this year.

Raiders are 6-3 but beat the chiefs and are playing good football.  Carr has 2 int’s to 16 td’s and They seem to be getting better.  

crazy i know but shouldnt Carr be in this discussion?