EF0075's Too Early 2021 Mock Draft

eaglesfan0075

image.png.19c920b8cbca074cc891cf4658192d1a.png

Still not sure why my mocks are pasted as an image from Microsoft Word instead of text, (maybe it's a Mac thing) but here it is. Maybe better to just directly type them onto here.

Not the sexiest approach, but really emphasized the trenches as regardless of whether Carson Wentz, Jalen Hurts, or some other guy starts at QB, the offensive line needs to give him time to throw the ball. CB2 is a legit need as Slay is doing great as the CB1 but teams simply pick on the other side, as Avonte Maddox is ideally a nickel CB/reserve player.

• Like 1

Not a fan!

Too much emphasis on the OL and we don’t even draft a LB, S and another (slot) WR. I’d be extremely disappointed!

14 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Not a fan!

Too much emphasis on the OL and we don’t even draft a LB, S and another (slot) WR. I’d be extremely disappointed!

I respect that, I do anticipate this mock being a bit polarizing for not having more skill position players drafted early. However, I wouldn't underestimate the importance of good OL play to the success of this team. Maybe draft 2 OL instead of 3, I think that's a certainly reasonable compromise? Perhaps use that 3rd round pick on a LB/S/WR?

My thought process behind this draft was under the assumption that the Eagles would use free agency to supplement some of those areas which have been addressed in the 2020 draft (namely LB and WR which were 5 out of the 10 picks). Considering the Eagles just invested 3rd and 5th round picks on LB in the 2020 draft, a veteran LB or two in free agency seems like a reasonable route to go while the young guys develop and compete for starting jobs. With regards to S, I do think this was a tough one to pass on in the draft, and as much as I like K'Von Wallace's potential to be a future starter at S, the fact is that the team could use someone to groom behind or to replace Rodney McLeod on the other side anyways. Regarding WR, I actually like this current pairing of Fulgham, Reagor, and Ward at X/Z/S, and I think a veteran FA signing (or 2) here would also be sufficient for depth since there's also untapped potential with Hightower and Watkins as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I respect that, I do anticipate this mock being a bit polarizing for not having more skill position players drafted early. However, I wouldn't underestimate the importance of good OL play to the success of this team. Maybe draft 2 OL instead of 3, I think that's a certainly reasonable compromise? Perhaps use that 3rd round pick on a LB/S/WR?

My thought process behind this draft was under the assumption that the Eagles would use free agency to supplement some of those areas which have been addressed in the 2020 draft (namely LB and WR which were 5 out of the 10 picks). Considering the Eagles just invested 3rd and 5th round picks on LB in the 2020 draft, a veteran LB or two in free agency seems like a reasonable route to go while the young guys develop and compete for starting jobs. With regards to S, I do think this was a tough one to pass on in the draft, and as much as I like K'Von Wallace's potential to be a future starter at S, the fact is that the team could use someone to groom behind or to replace Rodney McLeod on the other side anyways. Regarding WR, I actually like this current pairing of Fulgham, Reagor, and Ward at X/Z/S, and I think a veteran FA signing (or 2) here would also be sufficient for depth since there's also untapped potential with Hightower and Watkins as well.

I understand your reasoning but with some of the young O-linemen showing potential, I don’t see a reason for going so heavy on OL. 

You have to take their tendencies in combination with this draft class into account.

They value linemen and have a knack for taking one in the first. As a matter of fact; about 70 % of their first round draft capital they use on linemen. They especially love to draft edge rushers there.

There’s even a pattern there; they take a DE (BG, Smith, Barnett) every 4-5 years, an OL (Watkins, Johnson, Dillard) 3 to 4 times a decade and occasionally a WR (Maclin, Agholor, Reagor).

I think history will repeat itself next offseason. We know they don’t value CB, S and LB highly enough so those positions will likely be off the table. They just drafted a WR and although I’m starting to like the young core, I definitely think they could use an upgrade over Ward in the slot. Last year they took Dillard and both Driscoll and Mailata are showing promise so I don’t believe they’ll go OL in the first. DT is stacked...can’t see them going in that direction. Which leaves us with DE...

Although I’d love them to go corner in the first, the class is deep and talented. I can easily see a couple of quality outside corners being within reach in the second round.

I can also see a couple of good LB’s and Safeties getting pushed down the board and available in the 3rd.

And you won’t have to spend a relatively high pick on a slot receiver.

Back to DE; BG is turning 32 soon, they have a 5th year option on Barnett, Sweat will be entering the last year of his rookie deal and Curry is nice to have around but not a long term answer.

So...yes, I think they’ll go DE in the first.

The class is not top heavy but there’ll probably be a handful of good pass rushers available or within range at or around pick 20 like Carlos Basham, Patrick Jones II, Kwity Paye (keep an eye on him...BG 2.0) and Joseph Ossai.

I’ll post my next mock soon but you already know in what direction I’m heading. Love to hear what you think!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I understand your reasoning but with some of the young O-linemen showing potential, I don’t see a reason for going so heavy on OL. 

You have to take their tendencies in combination with this draft class into account.

They value linemen and have a knack for taking one in the first. As a matter of fact; about 70 % of their first round draft capital they use on linemen. They especially love to draft edge rushers there.

There’s even a pattern there; they take a DE (BG, Smith, Barnett) every 4-5 years, an OL (Watkins, Johnson, Dillard) 3 to 4 times a decade and occasionally a WR (Maclin, Agholor, Reagor).

I think history will repeat itself next offseason. We know they don’t value CB, S and LB highly enough so those positions will likely be off the table. They just drafted a WR and although I’m starting to like the young core, I definitely think they could use an upgrade over Ward in the slot. Last year they took Dillard and both Driscoll and Mailata are showing promise so I don’t believe they’ll go OL in the first. DT is stacked...can’t see them going in that direction. Which leaves us with DE...

Although I’d love them to go corner in the first, the class is deep and talented. I can easily see a couple of quality outside corners being within reach in the second round.

I can also see a couple of good LB’s and Safeties getting pushed down the board and available in the 3rd.

And you won’t have to spend a relatively high pick on a slot receiver.

Back to DE; BG is turning 32 soon, they have a 5th year option on Barnett, Sweat will be entering the last year of his rookie deal and Curry is nice to have around but not a long term answer.

So...yes, I think they’ll go DE in the first.

The class is not top heavy but there’ll probably be a handful of good pass rushers available or within range at or around pick 20 like Carlos Basham, Patrick Jones II, Kwity Paye (keep an eye on him...BG 2.0) and Joseph Ossai.

I’ll post my next mock soon but you already know in what direction I’m heading. Love to hear what you think!

I wouldn't be opposed to DE in the first round, and it does fit their draft tendencies. Perhaps I'm not as confident as the team is in evaluating their young OL, and I have to say that Mailata has at least shown some promise in relief, while Dillard is still a big question mark at this time. Maybe we wait at least one more year before using a premium pick on OL to evaluate both guys?

Thank God - it's started. 

When you look at our cap situation and our free agents this draft is going to have to be  - defense, defense, defense, 

Here is my reasoning - The Eagles have $260M committed for next year. The cap will be $175M (granted, that's worst case but it sure won't be much better) and the Birds have a $24M carryover. that leaves them with a $61M nut to crack. 

Given that I don't see free agents being signed - EVEN OUR OWN.  That means Barnett, Curry, Mills, NRC,  LeBlanc, Ford, Parks, Riley, and Gerry need to be replaced. On the offenses side there are fewer- Sudfeld, Clement, Peters, and Rodgers. On special teams there is Johnston who NEEDS to be resigned. 

So we need 2 DE's, 2 corners, 3 safeties, a couple of linebackers, a QB and (I agree with Eaglesfan75) a big running back. We might have a replacement for one of the DE's in Ostman or Miller, maybe a corner in Jaquet, Maddox goes back to the slot, and maybe a safety in Riley, but after that the cupboard is bare. 

That leave a DE,3 2 backup safeties (Wallace will have to start) , a starting corner, and at least 1 starting linebacker. 

Like Ray said - not a lot of room to draft offensive lineman. In fact I don't this we can draft any and really might only need 1 to potentially replace an aging Kelce. I'd be ok with this group next year - Dillard, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Mailata, Driscoll, Herbig, Pryor and the Prince. 

Given all that - - here's my draft

1 - Corner: Wade (Ohio State) or Surtain (Alabama) - replaces Maddox who replaces NRC

2 - DE: Tryon (Washington) - replaces Curry in the rotation

3 - RB: Harris (Alabama) I know, i said defense, but he's too much to pass up. Replaces Clement

5 - LB: Wallow (TCU) replaces Riley, Starters are Edwards, Bradley, and Singleton

5 - C Humphrey (Oklahoma)

6 - S Brisker (Penn State) replaces Mills. Wallace starts

6 comp - QB Costello replaces Sudfeld

7 - S Gillespie (Missouri) - replaces James

7 comp - CB Bryce Thompson (Tennessee) - replaces LeBlanc

Can't tell you how much I've looked forward to this starting up again. Thanks Eaglefan and Ray

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Thank God - it's started. 

When you look at our cap situation and our free agents this draft is going to have to be  - defense, defense, defense, 

Here is my reasoning - The Eagles have $260M committed for next year. The cap will be $175M (granted, that's worst case but it sure won't be much better) and the Birds have a $24M carryover. that leaves them with a $61M nut to crack. 

Given that I don't see free agents being signed - EVEN OUR OWN.  That means Barnett, Curry, Mills, NRC,  LeBlanc, Ford, Parks, Riley, and Gerry need to be replaced. On the offenses side there are fewer- Sudfeld, Clement, Peters, and Rodgers. On special teams there is Johnston who NEEDS to be resigned. 

So we need 2 DE's, 2 corners, 3 safeties, a couple of linebackers, a QB and (I agree with Eaglesfan75) a big running back. We might have a replacement for one of the DE's in Ostman or Miller, maybe a corner in Jaquet, Maddox goes back to the slot, and maybe a safety in Riley, but after that the cupboard is bare. 

That leave a DE,3 2 backup safeties (Wallace will have to start) , a starting corner, and at least 1 starting linebacker. 

Like Ray said - not a lot of room to draft offensive lineman. In fact I don't this we can draft any and really might only need 1 to potentially replace an aging Kelce. I'd be ok with this group next year - Dillard, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, Mailata, Driscoll, Herbig, Pryor and the Prince. 

Given all that - - here's my draft

1 - Corner: Wade (Ohio State) or Surtain (Alabama) - replaces Maddox who replaces NRC

2 - DE: Tryon (Washington) - replaces Curry in the rotation

3 - RB: Harris (Alabama) I know, i said defense, but he's too much to pass up. Replaces Clement

5 - LB: Wallow (TCU) replaces Riley, Starters are Edwards, Bradley, and Singleton

5 - C Humphrey (Oklahoma)

6 - S Brisker (Penn State) replaces Mills. Wallace starts

6 comp - QB Costello replaces Sudfeld

7 - S Gillespie (Missouri) - replaces James

7 comp - CB Bryce Thompson (Tennessee) - replaces LeBlanc

Can't tell you how much I've looked forward to this starting up again. Thanks Eaglefan and Ray

I wouldn't be opposed to a defense heavy approach. Minor criticism here, but I think Humphrey goes off the board by the end of Round 3 at the latest. He's in the running to be the first center drafted. The FO hasn't drafted a CB in the 1st round since 2002, but I would certainly welcome a 1st round CB with some outside CB size. Both Surtain and Wade fit the bill.

I think the overall strategy is reasonable though.

Gotcha pal - look forward to a lot of great back and forth this year.