Josh McCown to Sign with the Texans

time2rock

Practice squad guys are fair game but it means Houston had to sign him to their active roster. Kind of an odd move but good for him.  He gets over a half million bucks to ride it out with Houston the rest of the season.  Not bad. 

Honestly, I think we were wasting him as the "plan Covid" PS QB. Wentz could have really used him on the sideline this year. I think that's exactly why Houston wants him now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Honestly, I think we were wasting him as the "plan Covid" PS QB. Wentz could have really used him on the sideline this year. I think that's exactly why Houston wants him now. 

I had been holding out hope that the move to bring him back in that capacity would lead to him being added to the coaching staff, perhaps as QB coach.  Although that could still happen.  

At least it wasn't Dallas.

Oh no! Maybe Roger Stauback is on quick dial.

Can't say I blame him. If he has an appetite to play then he's better off on an active roster. 

Cue covid hitting our QB room where McCown would have been required. 

I still want him as our QB coach. Please make it happen next season. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I still want him as our QB coach. Please make it happen next season. 

See I'm not so sure there. I would like to have him on the coaching staff. I think that would be a smart move all around. But is he going to get after Wentz in the way Wentz does? I don't know either way but he doesn't strike me as someone to give out tough love. 

45 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I'm not so sure there. I would like to have him on the coaching staff. I think that would be a smart move all around. But is he going to get after Wentz in the way Wentz does? I don't know either way but he doesn't strike me as someone to give out tough love. 

Wentz made some of his biggest improvement last year, only to go downhill this year. If you watched the All or Nothing it showed Josh in Wentz ear all the time, teaching, coaching. I think Josh would be an exceptional QB coach for him. Instead of chatting up about buddy buddy talk, Josh would actually coach. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Wentz made some of his biggest improvement last year, only to go downhill this year. If you watched the All or Nothing it showed Josh in Wentz ear all the time, teaching, coaching. I think Josh would be an exceptional QB coach for him. Instead of chatting up about buddy buddy talk, Josh would actually coach. 

Maybe yeah. Maybe not. Wentz struggled a lot last year before getting it together in the final 4 games. 

• Like 1

The Birds should have grabbed QB coach Joe Brady (who elevated Joe Burrow's game) before the Panthers nabbed him.

24 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

The Birds should have grabbed QB coach Joe Brady (who elevated Joe Burrow's game) before the Panthers nabbed him.

They tried. He wanted to be an OC and like MANY other OC candidates out there, no one wanted to join Philly because Doug made it known he was running the offense. 

55 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

They tried. He wanted to be an OC and like MANY other OC candidates out there, no one wanted to join Philly because Doug made it known he was running the offense. 

Thank goodness because Doug does such a great job running the offense.  

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe yeah. Maybe not. Wentz struggled a lot last year before getting it together in the final 4 games. 

That's what I dont get.  Why does anyone want McCown as a QB coach?  What has he done?  Did I miss something with him?  I'm not saying he couldnt one day be a good coach but what's with the fascination of him.

6 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

That's what I dont get.  Why does anyone want McCown as a QB coach?  What has he done?  Did I miss something with him?  I'm not saying he couldnt one day be a good coach but what's with the fascination of him.

I think a lot of people who have been around him think he's going to be a really good NFL coach. Now whether that's as an OC, QB coach, other positional coach or maybe even HC who knows. But I think people believe he's a really smart guy who has been a sideline coach throughout his career. 

I’d be fine allowing McCown to intern on the staff while getting his feet wet as an actual coach, and then elevate as he earns the right to do so, but we probably should be leery about just handing him a position right off the bat. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’d be fine allowing McCown to intern on the staff while getting his feet wet as an actual coach, and then elevate as he earns the right to do so, but we probably should be leery about just handing him a position right off the bat. 

If it's means getting rid of press Taylor hire McCown now

7 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

If it's means getting rid of press Taylor hire McCown now

Aside from maybe Stoutland, I’m not sure I’d lose much sleep on most any coach being replaced. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Aside from maybe Stoutland, I’m not sure I’d lose much sleep on most any coach being replaced. 

Id keep Duce and Fipp as well. Rest can go. 

14 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Fipp’s Special Teams haven’t been so special the past few years. 

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Fipp’s Special Teams haven’t been so special the past few years. 

They do the job. They are not giving up big yards on returns. Cant remember the last TD they gave up. They are not getting a mass amount of penalties in the return game. Just cause they are not getting TDs on returns is nothing anymore.  Your not seeing many returns now a days in the NFL since the new kick off rules. As long as they are holding to min gains on returns, they are doing their job in my book. 

55 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Fipp yes. I don’t know that Duce is a great coach if he’s really in charge of the RB rotation.