Post Deadline Mock (10-05-2020)

Ray75

A straight up, no nonsense mock assuming Howie will still be running the show taking the Eagles draft tendencies into account...

Schwartz’s contract is up and I think both sides head in another direction.

Kelce opts to play out his contract.

New DC;

Demeco Ryans returns to Philly!

New OC;

Get back to you on this one..

Trades;

Zack Ertz to GB for a 3rd and 5th.

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, Parks, JP, NRC, Curry, Riley, Williams (already cut), Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld, Perkins, Ward.

Re-sign;

Mills, Singleton, Johnston, Ridgeway, LeBlanc, Scott, Rodgers

New contract;

Derek Barnett

Restructure/pay cut;

Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson, Brandon Graham

FA;

We’ll be quiet! We’ve nothing to spend! Maybe a role player here or there but nothing substantial.

Draft;

1) Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan;

With Graham turning 32 soon, Curry not a long time answer, Barnett on a fifth year option and Sweat entering a contract year, we need to think about the future at the position. Luckily the draft class isn’t top heavy nor extremely good and will give us the opportunity to draft a quality edge rusher late teens, early twenties.

How fitting it would be if we select another Michigan Wolverine to be BG’s apparent heir?! Although two inches taller and a couple of pounds heavier, Paye even reminds me of BG.

2) Derion Kendrick, CB, Clemson;

Might have to trade up in the second for this kid. High school QB recruited by the Tigers to play WR but by accident found himself eventually playing corner for them. Very admirably I’d have to say...a natural!

3) Ritchie Grant, S, UCF;

Rangy safety. Possibly McCleod’s heir.

3) Devin Lloyd, OLB, Utah;;

Athletic outside LB who played safety in high school.

5) Mustafa Johnson, DT, Colorado;

Smallish depth guy with a high motor.

5) Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR, Iowa;

Dynamic slot receiver to challenge Greg Ward. Might have to trade up for him though. Could easily go in the 4th round.

5) Sadarius Hutcherson, OT/OG, South Carolina;

BigV 2.0...more guard than tackle though.

6) Matt Bushman, TE, BYU

No clue if he’ll be available here but we need depth at the position.

7) Jermaine Waller, CB, Virginia Tech;

Depth at outside corner.

* a physical North/South runner / short yardage back can be add as an UDFA or in FA. Won’t necessarily have to use a draft pick on one IMO.

Interesting choice with DeMeco Ryans coming back to Philly as DC. Liked him as a player and he's gotten a few years of LB coach under his belt with the 49ers, so he could be looking to make the move to DC if he's so inclined. 

I think the Ertz trade is reasonable, a 3rd and 5th is probably what we could realistically get in return, maybe a 2nd if we're lucky, but definitely not a 1st.

I do like the picks here, definitely addresses the key holes on our defense early on.

Good work man!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Interesting choice with DeMeco Ryans coming back to Philly as DC. Liked him as a player and he's gotten a few years of LB coach under his belt with the 49ers, so he could be looking to make the move to DC if he's so inclined. 

I think the Ertz trade is reasonable, a 3rd and 5th is probably what we could realistically get in return, maybe a 2nd if we're lucky, but definitely not a 1st.

I do like the picks here, definitely addresses the key holes on our defense early on.

Good work man!

Thanks man!

Was listening to a mock draft podcast on thedraftnetwork this morning. Had us taking Eric Stokes in the first. They thought he’d be a better fit here and was playing some good football lately. They also said Shaun Wade didn’t look great playing on the outside. Had Paye going one pick before we were on the clock to the Raiders.

• Like 1

And so it begins - as usual we're not on the same page. 

First - from your fingers to God's ears. Hope the Ertz trade you predict happens and I hope Kelce stays around for another year. 

Second - I completely agree we won't be a player in free agency, we just can't be

And now that you're relaxed here it comes.

QUESTION - when you are $60M over the cap, how do you do this?

Re-sign;

New contract;

Derek Barnett

ANSWER - you can't. Maybe the RFA's and ERFA's like Singleton and Scott are in the cards, but we just don't have the money to bring back Barnett, Mills, and Leblanc or Rodgers.  I can see Johnston being resigned and maybe LeBlanc and/or Rodgers IF AND ONLY IF hey take minimum deals.

So here's where we'll be - we don't need to replace Peters, Mills, NRC, DJAX, Jeffrey, Curry, Ridgeway, Riley, or Gerry. Their replacements are already here - Dillard, Wallace, Maddox, Fulgham, Reagor, Sweat, Williams, Singleton, and Bradley/Taylor. We do have to replace Maddox at starting corner, a starting DE, running back to replace Clement, QB to replace Sudfeld, multiple safeties, multiple linebackers, a backup tight end, and an eventual replacement for Kelce. 

What we don't need to draft are guards, tackles, defensive tackles, or wide receivers. 

So here's my early draft - 

1 - CB Shaun Wade, Ohio State. Pairs with Slay as the starting corner. 

2 - DE Joe Tryon, Washington. I don't like the DE position with Graham, Tryon, Sweat, and Ostman with an occasional snap form Jackson, but this is the best we can do for a year. 

3 - RB Najee Harris, Alabama. Finally the big running back we all ben waiting for

3 from Ertz trade - TE Matt Bushman, BYU. He'll be the #2 behind Goedert

4 trade 2 5th round picks - C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma. Kelce's eventual  replacement. 

5 - LB Garrett Wallow, TCU replaces Riley

6 - S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State replaces James

6 comp - KJ Costello, Mississippi State replaces Sudfeld

7 - S Tyree Gillespie, Missouri replaces Parks

7 comp - CB Bryce Thompson, Tennessee replaces LeBlanc

Just a note - I've taken my ratings primarily form waltersfootball.  I know you don't like that site but aside from drafttek they have the most comprehensive coverage of draft eligible players 

Great to hear form you and I really look forward to sharing our thoughts with one another and the rest of the group - it'll be an interesting year. 

55 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

And so it begins - as usual we're not on the same page. 

First - from your fingers to God's ears. Hope the Ertz trade you predict happens and I hope Kelce stays around for another year. 

Second - I completely agree we won't be a player in free agency, we just can't be

And now that you're relaxed here it comes.

QUESTION - when you are $60M over the cap, how do you do this?

Re-sign;

New contract;

Derek Barnett

ANSWER - you can't. Maybe the RFA's and ERFA's like Singleton and Scott are in the cards, but we just don't have the money to bring back Barnett, Mills, and Leblanc or Rodgers.  I can see Johnston being resigned and maybe LeBlanc and/or Rodgers IF AND ONLY IF hey take minimum deals.

So here's where we'll be - we don't need to replace Peters, Mills, NRC, DJAX, Jeffrey, Curry, Ridgeway, Riley, or Gerry. Their replacements are already here - Dillard, Wallace, Maddox, Fulgham, Reagor, Sweat, Williams, Singleton, and Bradley/Taylor. We do have to replace Maddox at starting corner, a starting DE, running back to replace Clement, QB to replace Sudfeld, multiple safeties, multiple linebackers, a backup tight end, and an eventual replacement for Kelce. 

What we don't need to draft are guards, tackles, defensive tackles, or wide receivers. 

So here's my early draft - 

1 - CB Shaun Wade, Ohio State. Pairs with Slay as the starting corner. 

2 - DE Joe Tryon, Washington. I don't like the DE position with Graham, Tryon, Sweat, and Ostman with an occasional snap form Jackson, but this is the best we can do for a year. 

3 - RB Najee Harris, Alabama. Finally the big running back we all ben waiting for

3 from Ertz trade - TE Matt Bushman, BYU. He'll be the #2 behind Goedert

4 trade 2 5th round picks - C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma. Kelce's eventual  replacement. 

5 - LB Garrett Wallow, TCU replaces Riley

6 - S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State replaces James

6 comp - KJ Costello, Mississippi State replaces Sudfeld

7 - S Tyree Gillespie, Missouri replaces Parks

7 comp - CB Bryce Thompson, Tennessee replaces LeBlanc

Just a note - I've taken my ratings primarily form waltersfootball.  I know you don't like that site but aside from drafttek they have the most comprehensive coverage of draft eligible players 

Great to hear form you and I really look forward to sharing our thoughts with one another and the rest of the group - it'll be an interesting year. 

Ha, ha... you worry to much!

Next year we’re 60+ million over the cap. We roll over 23 million give or take a couple. Alshon and DJax will be gone, we trade Ertz, don’t re-sign JP and suddenly we’re just 12-15 million over the cap. You release a couple of other guys and restructure a contract here and there and before you know it we’re 15-20 million under the cap.

This mock has nothing to do with our opinions. This mock is all about the Eagles tendencies. There’s a pattern here. The Eagles are either gonna take a WR, DE or O-linemen. 

Every 4-5 years, the Eagles select a pass rusher in the first. We took an OT last year, this year we took a WR. Guess what’s next?!

A corner?! I’d absolutely LOVE that! Will it happen?! I’d be stunned if they take one in the first after neglecting the position in the draft for 20 YEARS!. A safety?! Not gonna happen! A LB?! Not likely!

The Eagles simply don’t value those positions enough to warrant a first round selection.

Do we need more at LB! Definitely! But I don’t think they’ll add more than one or maybe two. Remember; they just drafted extremely raw Taylor in the 3rd and Bradley in the 6th. Ohhh and Edwards has looked pretty good btw. One good LB will be enough IMO. Otherwise you’ve already given up on your 2020 selections.

So you think we can’t use an upgrade and/or serious competition for Ward in the slot?! Look I like Ward too but if we’re honest, he’s just okay but nothing special.

Take it with a grain of salt but my mocks are almost never about what I want the Eagles to do... If it were up to me I’d go corner first and LB in the second. Something like Wade, Farley Campbell or Horn in the first and Bolton, Surratt or Cox in the second...

Btw; Wade has yet to impress playing outside corner.

Got it - but the $64M is after the $24M rollover. Cracking that nut will completely shape the off-season. 

Here are some numbers from overthecap.com

Eagles 2021 commitments - $264M

Projected cap - $176M

Over the cap $88M

Carryover $24M

Left to fix before day 1 of the league year - $64M

Cut Jeffrey = $7.9M savings

Trade or cut Ertz = $4.7M savings

Cut DJAX = $5.1M savings

Don't resign Barnett = $10M savings

Cut Goodwin = $4.3M savings

Cut Whiteside = $500K savings

Total = $32.5M which is half of what we have to shed from the payroll

I really don't think I am worrying too much

Maybe we're both on the right track - if it's 1 DE and 2 CB I'd be okay with it so long as the CB runs sub 4.5 is 6'0" or more and can start. 

PS - I agree with you on Wade` maybe Surtain

5 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Got it - but the $64M is after the $24M rollover. Cracking that nut will completely shape the off-season. 

Here are some numbers from overthecap.com

Eagles 2021 commitments - $264M

Projected cap - $176M

Over the cap $88M

Carryover $24M

Left to fix before day 1 of the league year - $64M

Cut Jeffrey = $7.9M savings

Trade or cut Ertz = $4.7M savings

Cut DJAX = $5.1M savings

Don't resign Barnett = $10M savings

Cut Goodwin = $4.3M savings

Cut Whiteside = $500K savings

Total = $32.5M which is half of what we have to shed from the payroll

I really don't think I am worrying too much

Maybe we're both on the right track - if it's 1 DE and 2 CB I'd be okay with it so long as the CB runs sub 4.5 is 6'0" or more and can start. 

PS - I agree with you on Wade` maybe Surtain

Surtain is probably going to be a top 10 pick or close to it. 

I give you a couple of other names; Tyson Campbell, Jacee Horn, Caleb Farley (if he slips, has an injury history though), Eric Stokes, Asante Samuel Jr (smallish) and Derion Kendrick.

One way or another, Howie will figure something out concerning the cap. We may not like the majority of his draft antics but he’s good with numbers. 

As for OC I'd look at Ken Dorsey from the bills. He's currently their qb coach and coming here as a glorified qb coach as the OC would allow him to gain experience and add the OC title to his name without taking on more than he may be ready for. 

Then assuming the Texans clean house I'd look at Tim Kelly their OC/QB coach to come here and be the qb coach. I'd assume after the fiasco that is Houston all involved would have to take a step back before regaining their current position. So here he would lose the OC title but still be a QB coach which will help him establish himself as a good offensive mind again. The work he's done with Watson has been really good so hopefully him, Doug, and Dorsey can help Wentz. 

I'm not sure of Paye at 19/20 whatever it is we're selecting at. Trading back for him might make more sense. As of now cbs has Kendrick at a higher ranking than Paye so even just swapping them around may make more sense. Personally I'd prefer going after a top CB in the draft. I'd also need more Oline help. Replace Sanborn or Grant with an offensive lineman and get a different LB. Sanborn plays a 3-4 and has never had to cover as much ground as Demeco would require of him in a 4-3.  

37 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I'm not sure of Paye at 19/20 whatever it is we're selecting at. Trading back for him might make more sense. As of now cbs has Kendrick at a higher ranking than Paye so even just swapping them around may make more sense. Personally I'd prefer going after a top CB in the draft. I'd also need more Oline help. Replace Sanborn or Grant with an offensive lineman and get a different LB. Sanborn plays a 3-4 and has never had to cover as much ground as Demeco would require of him in a 4-3.  

I’m thinking the exact same thing.

If it was up to me I’d go;

1) Derion Kendrick;

2) Jabril Cox;

But I’m not as pessimistic about our OL.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, 20dawk4life said:

Thanks Dawk - an interesting read, but it's still going to be a mess. 

The writer has them starting at $51M over the cap - the actual number taking the rollover into account is $64M Look at the cuts and trade I listed - after they get done we're looking for $32M.

I agree with the writer that we need a big restructure with Wentz and Cox. We just restructured Brooks so there's not much left to gain there. 

Thanks again for sharing the article  - really interesting. 

On 11/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, 20dawk4life said:

Replaced Jack Sanborn.

Thoughts on Devin Lloyd, OLB, Utah??

Btw; Paye is getting a lot of buzz lately. When all is said and done, it wouldn’t surprise me if he end up a top 15 pick.

As for Kendrick. Don’t think he’ll go top 20 but might sneak into the first round. Have Surtain, Farley, Horn, Wade and Campbell ahead of him at this point. 

If we don’t address CB in the first, we’ll be picking from that 2nd tier of prospects. Guys like Eric Stokes, Asante Samuel Jr, Derion Kendrick, Israel Mukuamu, Paulson Adebo, Rodarius Williams, D.J. Daniel and T.J. Carter come to mind.

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Replaced Jack Sanborn.

Thoughts on Devin Lloyd, OLB, Utah??

Btw; Paye is getting a lot of buzz lately. When all is said and done, it wouldn’t surprise me if he end up a top 15 pick.

As for Kendrick. Don’t think he’ll go top 20 but might sneak into the first round. Have Surtain, Farley, Horn, Wade and Campbell ahead of him at this point. 

If we don’t address CB in the first, we’ll be picking from that 2nd tier of prospects. Guys like Eric Stokes, Asante Samuel Jr, Derion Kendrick, Israel Mukuamu, Paulson Adebo, Rodarius Williams, D.J. Daniel and T.J. Carter come to mind.

My general rule of thumb is to stay away from pac-12 players because they're usually soft. Lloyds a little smaller than I'd like but I think he can add some weight and retain his speed.