5 Philadelphia Eagles who have been wonderful surprises in 2020

brkmsn

5 Philadelphia Eagles who have been wonderful surprises in 2020

Philadelphia Eagles have had some players greatly surprise them this season.

The 2020 NFL season hasn’t been very kind to Philadelphia Eagles fans. This is also an election year that has seen the Coronavirus and social injustice alter our lives. With the 76ers and Phillies faltering and the Flyers getting knocked out of the NHL Playoffs much earlier than fans originally expected, the only hope for a real distraction has been (sigh) the Eagles. With coaching and player additions this offseason, ‘Iggles’ fans (and ITI staff members) were excited for the 2020 season to get underway.

Fast forward to the present, and the ‘Birds’  boast a 3-4-1 record on the year. Most of the excitement is gone or it’s been replaced with frustration. Things sometimes look gloomy for the Eagles, but there have been some nice surprises as well, especially from a roster standpoint. a few of this team’s offseason additions and some of the roster shuffling that has taken place has led to a renewed excitement for fans. Depending on whether you’re a ‘the glass is half empty’ or a glass is half full’ type of person, this team’s future looks bright.

Despite a win-loss record that leaves much to be desired, the Eagles still are in first place in the NFC East thanks in large part to some spirited efforts by some well-known mainstays and some guys that we’re still getting to know. Here are a few shout outs. We’re discussing five ‘Birds’ that have been wonderful surprises.

1 <--

2 <--

3 <--

4 <--

5 <--

Whenever a season isn't looking all that great, you want to at least have something good come of it for the future. These have been 5 positive takes so far and I think there might be a couple more developing. 

I agree that all 5 have played very well for us ... that has been a positive in a (so far) down season for sure.  Especially impressed by Fulgham, Sweat, and Mailata.  Graham has been playing well in recent seasons and Slay had been a top corner in Detroit before coming to Philly (it’s just a relief that he continues to play well with the switch to a new team/scheme).  

On 11/8/2020 at 7:14 PM, time2rock said:

I agree that all 5 have played very well for us ... that has been a positive in a (so far) down season for sure.  Especially impressed by Fulgham, Sweat, and Mailata.  Graham has been playing well in recent seasons and Slay had been a top corner in Detroit before coming to Philly (it’s just a relief that he continues to play well with the switch to a new team/scheme).  

The perception of Graham has swung as much as I’ve ever seen for an Eagle. I remember defending him early in his career when he was being called a bust (though truthfully it was mostly people butt hurt about not taking Earl Thomas). Now he’s a fan favorite. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

The perception of Graham has swung as much as I’ve ever seen for an Eagle. I remember defending him early in his career when he was being called a bust (though truthfully it was mostly people butt hurt about not taking Earl Thomas). Now he’s a fan favorite. 

He always plays hard ... he isn’t like a Clowney that takes plays off and only plays hard when he wants to. He’s an extremely likable guy.  And he had one of the biggest plays in franchise history with that strip sack of Brady in the Super Bowl.  Easy to see why he’d be a fan favorite.  

• Like 3

Fulgham has been one hell of a surprise and it came at such an important time. 

I mean when he made that catch against SF I think we all thought this guy was going to be a one catch wonder. When he followed that up with a big game the following week we still thought perhaps this is just a fluke. But he's now done it for a few weeks and he's making really good WR plays. 

I really do think that what he's shown is absolutely sustainable and isn't just a flash in the pan. He isn't making some breath taking really difficult catches (some are) but I say that as a compliment. He's getting physical, he's getting separation, he's high pointing the ball and he's showing incredible body control and ball tracking.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Fulgham has been one hell of a surprise and it came at such an important time. 

I mean when he made that catch against SF I think we all thought this guy was going to be a one catch wonder. When he followed that up with a big game the following week we still thought perhaps this is just a fluke. But he's now done it for a few weeks and he's making really good WR plays. 

I really do think that what he's shown is absolutely sustainable and isn't just a flash in the pan. He isn't making some breath taking really difficult catches (some are) but I say that as a compliment. He's getting physical, he's getting separation, he's high pointing the ball and he's showing incredible body control and ball tracking.

It's unfortunate Howie can't draft WRs to save his life (ditto CBs), but any avenue to adding one to the team ... 

The scout that identified Fulgham?  He needs to be promoted to GM here!  🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It's unfortunate Howie can't draft WRs to save his life (ditto CBs), but any avenue to adding one to the team ... 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-travis-fulgham-practice-squad-credit-wide-receiver-howie-roseman-front-office-analysis-0599970/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I mean absolutely yeah! That's a hell of a find and you do wonder what Detroit and Green Bay were thinking.