‘Wouldn’t Surprise Me If They Triple Dipped’: Experts Expect Eagles To Target Receivers Early, Often In NFL Draft

Procus

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/04/17/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-draft-howie-roseman-justin-jefferson-henry-ruggs/

‘Wouldn’t Surprise Me If They Triple Dipped’: Experts Expect Eagles To Target Receivers Early, Often In NFL Draft

By Pat GallenApril 17, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Filed Under:Local, Local TV, nfl draft, Philadelphia Eagles

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — It feels slightly strange with sports on lockdown, but the NFL draft is still on. That draft begins on Thursday but will be done completely virtually.

The Eagles hold the 21st pick in Round 1 and have eight picks overall. The question is, in what direction will they go?

Eagles beat writers Jimmy Kempski, with PhillyVoice, and Zach Berman, with The Athletic, joined CBS3’s Pat Gallen to discuss the possibility of the Birds going wide receiver in Round 1.

"I actually would be surprised if they didn’t double dip at the position in the draft. And it wouldn’t surprise me if they triple dipped, like take three different receivers at the position. But yeah, I would put the percentage that they take a receiver in the first round at 75, 80%,” Kempski said.

"The best-case scenario would be if Henry Ruggs from Alabama fell to them at No. 21,” Berman said. "My opinion is that it’s unlikely that he falls to 21. A player to watch at 21 is Justin Jefferson of LSU — was on the National Championship team last year, very productive wide receiver, very efficient.”

Coronavirus NFL Draft: Howie Roseman, Eagles’ Front Office Adapting To Doing Draft Homework From Home

How big of a year is this for General Manager Howie Roseman?

"Oh it’s huge and he even acknowledged that the last two years. He hasn’t been great in terms of talent acquisition. Everything he did in 2017 turned to gold,” Kempski said. "This is a huge huge draft for him because this is a very old roster and they don’t have much in the way of young talent.”

"They don’t really have a lot of foundation pieces under the age of 25 years old. The draft is the best place to find it,” Berman said. "But looking at those franchise building blocks, that’s what the Eagles need to find and at No. 21, it’s an opportunity for them to do so.”

Both Kempski and Berman also believe that the Eagles will need to address a secondary that added Darius Slay but lost veteran Malcolm Jenkins.

They also said it’s possible that Roseman may make another trade to move up to get one of the top wideouts.

Pat Gallen

I'm gonna love the part where we hear personnel people saying stuff they don't want us to hear because they forgot to mute themselves in the virtual meetings.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I'm gonna love the part where we hear personnel people saying stuff they don't want us to hear because they forgot to mute themselves in the virtual meetings.

:ph34r:

Hopefully they remember to mute their mics when they hit the john!  

• Like 1

3 is music to my ears. 

I mean I know you can argue they don't need 3 but you can't guarantee they'll get 2 that can either produce day one or even develop in to good WRs.

• Like 1

There are going to be some veteran WR cuts and some other available thru trades after the draft and before camp starts.  I doubt the eagles triple dip when they need to draft some depth at other positions.  

• Like 3

RD2: Mims

RD3:Duvernay

Mission accomplished...3 sub 4.4. WR's in their natural positions and on the field together...yeah baby. Oh and DJAX mixed in as well just for good measure. 

41 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Mission accomplished...3 sub 4.4. WR's in their natural positions and on the field together...yeah baby. Oh and DJAX mixed in as well just for good measure. 

I would've liked that last night. But, not that I think about it, we are going to need some more secondary help and another DE to deal with Dallas.  I still think we need another WR within the next couple of rounds though. But, I think taking 3 is too much of a luxury now.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

I could get behind that.  But I do want to see some young talent add to the defense at both S and LB and it sure couldn't hurt to add a CB if a solid prospect is there for the taking.  

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I would've liked that last night. But, not that I think about it, we are going to need some more secondary help and another DE to deal with Dallas.  I still think we need another WR within the next couple of rounds though. But, I think taking 3 is too much of a luxury now.

I won't argue against defensive needs. They exist, but I want them to prioritize building around Wentz this off season and the next. He's the show. Make it a great show.

If they pick a defensive player in round 2, I won't be disappointed,  just hopeful that they don't treat Wentz' career the way they did McNabb's.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I could get behind that.  But I do want to see some young talent add to the defense at both S and LB and it sure couldn't hurt to add a CB if a solid prospect is there for the taking.  

As above, I'm not against adding to the defense because the needs are there. I just want Wentz to have a full complement of weapons around him as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

As above, I'm not against adding to the defense because the needs are there. I just want Wentz to have a full complement of weapons around him as soon as possible.

Does that include backup QB?  Doh!  :o

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Does that include backup QB?  Doh!  :o

That pick is, as I've posted elsewhere, a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in Carson Wentz. They expect he'll be injured again. a 2nd rounder is expected to START in a couple years...this is bad.

56 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

That pick is, as I've posted elsewhere, a vote of NO CONFIDENCE in Carson Wentz. They expect he'll be injured again. a 2nd rounder is expected to START in a couple years...this is bad.

I wouldn’t go that far brotha.  They just gave him a huge contract.  I think they just overreacted to the need to have a reliable backup QB and will play it as they had Hurts rated as the best player on their board and couldn’t pass on him.  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I wouldn’t go that far brotha.  They just gave him a huge contract.  I think they just overreacted to the need to have a reliable backup QB and will play it as they had Hurts rated as the best player on their board and couldn’t pass on him.  

They can play it any way they want, and they will. Doesn't change the fact that this was a massive F up. They needed to get Carson a few dynamic players to help him, not an unimpressive injury replacement while ignoring the help that was available. Typical Howie draft. Sub-F'in-standard like always. 8 picks...most of them late...likely only to yield 1 or maybe 2 guys that can play. NOT good enough.

27 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

They can play it any way they want, and they will. Doesn't change the fact that this was a massive F up. They needed to get Carson a few dynamic players to help him, not an unimpressive injury replacement while ignoring the help that was available. Typical Howie draft. Sub-F'in-standard like always. 8 picks...most of them late...likely only to yield 1 or maybe 2 guys that can play. NOT good enough.

I knew better than to watch the rest of the draft.  Watched last night and that was it.  First time in years I didn’t watch the whole thing.  Just so tired of the crappy drafting by this regime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I doubt they double dip on WRs now... Idiots.

Really, who is left?  Extremely disappointed they didn't grab another on day 2.  Mims sitting there ... 😞

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Really, who is left?  Extremely disappointed they didn't grab another on day 2.  Mims sitting there ... 😞

I mean I can't see it. Howie seems determined to not help Wentz succeed. 

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I can't see it. Howie seems determined to not help Wentz succeed. 

That just doesn't make sense considering the investment he made both in terms of draft capital used to move up to get him (to include the players used to gain some of that draft capital ... Alonso and Maxwell) and the huge contract he just gave him.  

Once again, a "historical" draft class ... a huge need ... and he doesn't take full advantage (similar to DT and RB in a few recent draft classes).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That just doesn't make sense considering the investment he made both in terms of draft capital used to move up to get him (to include the players used to gain some of that draft capital ... Alonso and Maxwell) and the huge contract he just gave him.  

Once again, a "historical" draft class ... a huge need ... and he doesn't take full advantage (similar to DT and RB in a few recent draft classes).  

And yet here we are and that's exactly what he has. Seems to think one weapon is enough. 

Well here's our double dip ... John Hightower (Boise St).  Another WR with experience as a returner.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well here's our double dip ... John Hightower (Boise St).  Another WR with experience as a returner.  

Make it a quadruple dip...

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Make it a quadruple dip...

A double double dip you say??  :o

• Like 1