Simple Fix for the Offense This Season

wtfcares

I’m as over this coaching staff’s boring, unimaginative, vanilla scheming and game planning as anyone else. I have no confidence they can somehow get creative without a change. However this leaves us to wonder what can be done to work with the scheme they have and at least improve this monstrosity a little bit. The answer is pretty simple. 

Doug basically only has his receivers run 2 routes: 1. Go route deep 2. Hitch/Curl off the Go route. He’s completely forgotten about intermediate routes, crossers, slants, anything that can lead to having an open receiver for an non contested catch. Let’s assume this doesn’t get fixed because evidence shows us since Reich left, that’s all we get. 

Defenses have figured this out and have adjusted to playing basically mainly Cover 2 with 2 deep safeties to take away the deep pass and corners staying low to take away the curls. We’ve heard this over and over from Wentz and Doug that defenses are now playing deep. So again let’s assume Doug and Co. can’t/won’t create routes that beat Cover 2, what is a simple way to beat Cover 2? 

Run. The. Ball.! Run it straight at them. This is very basic football. When a defense is in cover 2, the box will be very light. You have safeties deep, likely an extra CB or 2 on the field since we are usually in 11 personel these days. That leaves a ton of space up the middle to run the ball. The defenses are challenging Doug to beat them by running. And the worst part of it all is that this is obvious to everybody because our run game has been working! Yet they refuse to stick to it. Sanders is averaging 6 yards a carry! Even Boston Scott averaged almost 5 yards/carry against last game against Dallas. You don’t need to create anything fancy, you don’t need to outsmart anyone, you don’t even need anything new. The run game we currently have is already working! Just stick to it Doug! Run the ball! 

Defenses playing zone coverage = run the ball

Carson is struggling = run the ball

You are top 5 in yards per carry = run the ball

Pass protection is suspect = run the ball 

Your opponent has shown an inability to stop the run = run the ball 

Us: Doug, for the love of God please run the ball.

Doug: 

31F0DF84-2DAD-422F-AD92-0A4E8514B7FA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

I’m as over this coaching staff’s boring, unimaginative, vanilla scheming and game planning as anyone else. I have no confidence they can somehow get creative without a change. However this leaves us to wonder what can be done to work with the scheme they have and at least improve this monstrosity a little bit. The answer is pretty simple. 

Doug basically only has his receivers run 2 routes: 1. Go route deep 2. Hitch/Curl off the Go route. He’s completely forgotten about intermediate routes, crossers, slants, anything that can lead to having an open receiver for an non contested catch. Let’s assume this doesn’t get fixed because evidence shows us since Reich left, that’s all we get. 

Defenses have figured this out and have adjusted to playing basically mainly Cover 2 with 2 deep safeties to take away the deep pass and corners staying low to take away the curls. We’ve heard this over and over from Wentz and Doug that defenses are now playing deep. So again let’s assume Doug and Co. can’t/won’t create routes that beat Cover 2, what is a simple way to beat Cover 2? 

Run. The. Ball.! Run it straight at them. This is very basic football. When a defense is in cover 2, the box will be very light. You have safeties deep, likely an extra CB or 2 on the field since we are usually in 11 personel these days. That leaves a ton of space up the middle to run the ball. The defenses are challenging Doug to beat them by running. And the worst part of it all is that this is obvious to everybody because our run game has been working! Yet they refuse to stick to it. Sanders is averaging 6 yards a carry! Even Boston Scott averaged almost 5 yards/carry against last game against Dallas. You don’t need to create anything fancy, you don’t need to outsmart anyone, you don’t even need anything new. The run game we currently have is already working! Just stick to it Doug! Run the ball! 

I agree with your fix, however, because we don't have a power runner on the roster, defenses can shut down the run when they feel as though they're getting gashed too much.

While a power runner won't boast Sanders' 6.0 ypc, they also won't get shut down as easily as Sanders, they'll get their 3+ ypc no matter how hard defenses attempt to shut them down if the OL is playing half well.

Not only that, a power back will soften up the defense with bruising runs that will in turn open things up for Sanders in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well as put more defenders in the box opening things up for the receivers.

This is exactly why I thought the Eagles should have drafted RB A. J. Dillion from Boston College.    

• Like 1

Just now, EagleVA said:

I agree with your fix, however, because we don't have a power runner on the roster, defenses can shut down the run when they feel as though they're getting gashed too much.

While a power runner won't boast Sanders' 6.0 ypc, they also won't get shut down as easily as Sanders, they'll get their 3+ ypc no matter how hard defenses attempt to shut them down if the OL is playing half well.

Not only that, a power back will soften up the defense with bruising runs that will in turn open things up for Sanders in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well as put more defenders in the box opening things up for the receivers.

This is exactly why I thought the Eagles should have drafted A. J. Dillion from Boston College RB.    

Agreed 100% a power runner would be a huge boost on this team. But even if we don’t get one this season, if teams do feel they got gashed too much by Sanders and adjust, that would mean bringing down a safety or bringing in a LB instead of a CB. That would greatly open up the passing game and help Wentz instead of constantly throwing into a ton of coverage now. 

2 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Agreed 100% a power runner would be a huge boost on this team. But even if we don’t get one this season, if teams do feel they got gashed too much by Sanders and adjust, that would mean bringing down a safety or bringing in a LB instead of a CB. That would greatly open up the passing game and help Wentz instead of constantly throwing into a ton of coverage now. 

Right.

There's a serious issue with intelligence within the Eagles organization.

50 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

How about pulling out the playbook from Wentz’s rookie year? They did something similar for Foles when he was struggling and went back to some of the playbook under Chip. 

• Like 1

When things get ugly Doug's only solution seems to be uptempo. Which works between the 20s and then sputters in the redzone because you have to actually think about what you're doing at that point.

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

When things get ugly Doug's only solution seems to be uptempo. Which works between the 20s and then sputters in the redzone because you have to actually think about what you're doing at that point.

"Doug” and "solution” should never be used together in the same sentence.  

:P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Br3 said:

Defenses playing zone coverage = run the ball

Carson is struggling = run the ball

You are top 5 in yards per carry = run the ball

Pass protection is suspect = run the ball 

Your opponent has shown an inability to stop the run = run the ball 

Us: Doug, please run the ball.

Doug: 

31F0DF84-2DAD-422F-AD92-0A4E8514B7FA.jpeg

What I want to know is when Doug calls a play, how often does Carson change it?  Does Doug call more runs but it gets changed at the line?

2 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

What I want to know is when Doug calls a play, how often does Carson change it?  Does Doug call more runs but it gets changed at the line?

Honestly I see it the other way. Obviously it’s hard to tell what the original play is but usually when we hear Carson say "Kill kill” it ends up being changed to a run play. Of the 19 carries the RBs got against the Giants, I counted 3-4 of those being changed at the line to those runs. Now it could be that the original play was maybe a run to the other side. But the change was made to runs. 

A youtuber posted several offensive plays to show Fulgham's routes. I watched it.  To me, seems like the Giants knew a majority of the time what routes our WRs were running as they were going. I think teams are recognizing tendencies out of formations/calls at the line.  I don't know if Doug and the "offensive minds" are studying how often they call the same plays out of certain formations.  It doesn't help matters when you play some of these teams twice. You have to change things up.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:35 PM, 315Eagles said:

Doug said on the radio the other day that he thought the run pass ratio against the giants was even. It was basically two to one. I’ve defended Doug in the past, but frankly he’s part of the problem. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, EagleVA said:

This is exactly why I thought the Eagles should have drafted RB A. J. Dillion from Boston College.    

Here comes Howard. The sledge that we were missing.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, EagleVA said:

Right.

There's a serious issue with intelligence within the Eagles organization.

Is it intelligence or is it stubbornness/arrogance

On 11/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, CaliEagle said:

A youtuber posted several offensive plays to show Fulgham's routes. I watched it.  To me, seems like the Giants knew a majority of the time what routes our WRs were running as they were going. I think teams are recognizing tendencies out of formations/calls at the line.  I don't know if Doug and the "offensive minds" are studying how often they call the same plays out of certain formations.  It doesn't help matters when you play some of these teams twice. You have to change things up.

Of course they knew. Every time we play Seattle  for instance...going back like 7 years there is a story that comes out saying their players were calling out our plays and that our offense/team is trash.

This has been a problem for some time. Difference in 2017 is we truly had a dominant team.

I said this last week before the game.....how about...when you bring in Hurts....and the defense knows it's going to be some option run crap....you actually THROW the ball!!  Do f'ing something different/creative?   I said I remember when Syracuse with McNabb would run him down the line, then..he would step back and throw....I have more f'ing creativity than this f'ing staff.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There is a slight flaw with that plan though. 

Do tell.

31 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Do tell.

The lack of a really good back up RB 😁 I mean hey perhaps once Howard gets back? But I think it's a struggle with Sanders because despite how good he is he's also had injury issues. I think he's only had 100 carries this year so far. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:42 AM, Perforator said:

Is it intelligence or is it stubbornness/arrogance

Yes.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The lack of a really good back up RB 😁 I mean hey perhaps once Howard gets back? But I think it's a struggle with Sanders because despite how good he is he's also had injury issues. I think he's only had 100 carries this year so far. 

Fair point. Still, with the weather being crappy in Cleveland, they should mostly run the ball today. I doubt they will.

• Like 1