The good, the bad and the ugly: week 11 at Browns

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

A major housecleaning has to happen this offseason, but the two high-priced veterans I hope we keep are Cox and Graham. Those two can still play. But Alshon, DJax and Peters are definitely gone. Probably the same can be said for Ertz, McLeod and Mills.

And I'm with you on Lane. Dude is a Philly legend but we're foolish if we rely on him to stay healthy ever again. Honestly, same can be said for Brooks as well.  We need a serious injection of premium youth talent into the offensive line this offseason (and the defensive backfield as well).

And I agree, I think we're married to Carson for at least two more years -- so I think Lurie needs to figure out what he needs to do to give the guy the best chance to succeed over the next two seasons. And I think that's three things: better coaching, better personnel decision makers in the front office and a better offensive line. What he does NOT need at this point is for Howie to go into the draft and use another six picks on WRs.

26 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

A major housecleaning has to happen this offseason, but the two high-priced veterans I hope we keep are Cox and Graham. Those two can still play. But Alshon, DJax and Peters are definitely gone. Probably the same can be said for Ertz, McLeod and Mills.

And I'm with you on Lane. Dude is a Philly legend but we're foolish if we rely on him to stay healthy ever again. Honestly, same can be said for Brooks as well.  We need a serious injection of premium youth talent into the offensive line this offseason (and the defensive backfield as well).

And I agree, I think we're married to Carson for at least two more years -- so I think Lurie needs to figure out what he needs to do to give the guy the best chance to succeed over the next two seasons. And I think that's three things: better coaching, better personnel decision makers in the front office and a better offensive line. What he does NOT need at this point is for Howie to go into the draft and use another six picks on WRs.

I agree but I think this is going to be a longer rebuild than people believe. This theory that you could turn around fast in the NFL has some truth and some of it is not actually true. A lot of the teams you see make a jump from a below 500 team to a good team it’s usually because they’ve had two or three down seasons before making that jump. I look at the Eagles in 2017. They had back to back 7-9 seasons. Go back to the 2013 eagles, they were 8-8 and then 4-12. There’s teams like the niners who had multiple bad years before jumping up again. Ditto with the cardinals this year. Ditto with the Seahawks before getting Wilson. Last year on the old boards I went into detail about how there’s way more teams that need 2 to 3 years of being bad and building up then there was a one year rebuild and you’re good again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I agree but I think this is going to be a longer rebuild than people believe. This theory that you could turn around fast in the NFL has some truth and some of it is not actually true. A lot of the teams you see make a jump from a below 500 team to a good team it’s usually because they’ve had two or three down seasons before making that jump. I look at the Eagles in 2017. They had back to back 7-9 seasons. Go back to the 2013 eagles, they were 8-8 and then 4-12. There’s teams like the niners who had multiple bad years before jumping up again. Ditto with the cardinals this year. Ditto with the Seahawks before getting Wilson. Last year on the old boards I went into detail about how there’s way more teams that need 2 to 3 years of being bad and building up then there was a one year rebuild and you’re good again.

I totally agree with you on that. Look at the browns and how they are on the way up....they have been rebuilding for years. Same with Buffalo....and few other bottom dwellers like Arizona....

It takes alot longer than people think....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly as much as it pains me to say it they should cut Peters at this point, he's embarrassing himself out there and the temptation will always be to stick him back in in tricky spots as long as he's on the roster. Stick Mailata in as starter, let him take his lumps and thank Peters for the memories, whatever he had is gone and it's not coming back.

Apparently the last Eagles corner to make an interception is still Sidney Jones, 10 games into the season after we cut him, let that thought marinate a while, good lord how do you end up with corners this ordinary by design? 

Peters is an all time great Eagle so I cant see them cutting him like that.  There's 6 games left.  Just let him play out or until he gets hurt again.

Unless they go to him and say the seasons lost so can we just sit you down, collect your check and let Mailata get reps at LT for the future.

The good:

I turned this sloppy, poorly coached, poorly played football game off before it really pissed me off.   I took my kids to the playground instead.

The bad:

That pick 6... I want to circle this in red marker.  That's a rookie play, not something that an experienced vet does.  Baldie had a fantastic breakdown of this on twitter (I can dig it up, but google it if you want).  Reagor was WIDE OPEN but Carson didn't throw the ball.  Instead he held onto it too long, then threw a prayer as he was being hit.  ROOKIE STUFF.  He should not be doing that at this point in his career. 

The ugly:

Howie has royally messed up our cap.  You want Trevor Lawrence?  I got some bad news for you.  Unless we can move Carson & his contract we are stuck with him for the next few years.  Howie should be fired right now and a search for a new GM should start immediately.  New GM can figure out what he wants to do with Doug.

11 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Doug's offense hasnt looked good outside of 2017 and that was probably because they had a run game with Blount, Clement and later Ajayi and committed to it.

This is a major factor in the problems with the offense. The other is a crappy injured rotating door of an offensive line. 

4 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Peters is an all time great Eagle so I cant see them cutting him like that.  There's 6 games left.  Just let him play out or until he gets hurt again.

Unless they go to him and say the seasons lost so can we just sit you down, collect your check and let Mailata get reps at LT for the future.

Just honor him at halftime and put him into the eagles hall of fame and hope he understands what you are doing. 

On 11/15/2020 at 2:29 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know about that. Like I think he's struggled this year absolutely but to be fair this team sticks in their and fights. Doug needs to hand over play calling duties and he needs to bench Wentz. Then let's see. 

Adam Kaplan is on the radio right now absolutely ripping Doug a new one.  He believes he has overwhelmed himself with coaching and OC duties and isn't prepared well enough come gameday.  Also says that coaches around the league have marveled at how stale our passing game is, with routes and schemes that nearly identical to years past.   These coaches have also noted that Doug is asking too much of his receivers and doesn't scheme them properly, rather asking them simply to beat man coverage.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Adam Kaplan is on the radio right now absolutely ripping Doug a new one.  He believes he has overwhelmed himself with coaching and OC duties and isn't prepared well enough come gameday.  Also says that coaches around the league have marveled at how stale our passing game is, with routes and schemes that nearly identical to years past.   These coaches have also noted that Doug is asking too much of his receivers and doesn't scheme them properly, rather asking them simply to beat man coverage.  

When they hired Doug in 2016 alot of us were confused and didnt like the hire.  Then he helped win a SB so we thought ok maybe he can coach. 

But it seems like more and more that SB run was just good timing and luck.  He was just coaching high school not too long ago.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, EricAllenPick6 said:

The ugly:

Howie has royally messed up our cap.  You want Trevor Lawrence?  I got some bad news for you.  Unless we can move Carson & his contract we are stuck with him for the next few years.  Howie should be fired right now and a search for a new GM should start immediately.  New GM can figure out what he wants to do with Doug.

This is what SHOULD happen. I very much doubt it will.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:56 PM, Jeep_man said:

OP forgot to mention: RIP To Joe Ostman's career after the stiff arm....

Trevor Lawrence or BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn’t the last time you’ll see "Trevor Lawrence” and "bust” in the same sentence. 

• Haha 2

By opting to keep JP at LT, Doug imo has confirmed the season is being tanked.. I don't see the Eagles winning a single game from here on, hopefully Jets will win a few games and Eagles will have a top 3 pick... Need to draft the future signal caller for the franchise, bye bye Wentz....

18 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

By opting to keep JP at LT, Doug imo has confirmed the season is being tanked.. I don't see the Eagles winning a single game from here on, hopefully Jets will win a few games and Eagles will have a top 3 pick... Need to draft the future signal caller for the franchise, bye bye Wentz....

Even if they got a top three pick I don’t think they’re gonna take a quarterback. They drafted Jalen hurts in the second round. If they are going to say bye-bye to wentz they’re going to see what they have in hurts before drafting a qb. I’m guessing they would build up the team and it hurts fails and wentz is gone which I don’t think it’s going to be the case next year then they would go and do it. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Even if they got a top three pick I don’t think they’re gonna take a quarterback. They drafted Jalen hurts in the second round. If they are going to say bye-bye to wentz they’re going to see what they have in hurts before drafting a qb. I’m guessing they would build up the team and it hurts fails and wentz is gone which I don’t think it’s going to be the case next year then they would go and do it. 

Thing is... They've seen Hurts in practice and maybe they just don't think he's the guy? 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thing is... They've seen Hurts in practice and maybe they just don't think he's the guy? 

Hard to make that assessment when he didn’t have an entire off-season during a pandemic. I do not think the Eagles are just going to give up on a second round pick after one season without an actual off-season. Especially not one that was controversial to begin with and they had a like them enough to take another quarterback assuming they thought Carson Wentz was the franchise. JJAW had an entire off-season and came into a second year and they still were trying to rely on him. 

and if what you said is the case then I don’t know why people are asking to see Hurts play. Because if they see him in practice and they don’t think he’s any good that means he’s likely worse than what Carson Wentz is and yet people are asking for him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

That Peters film is every bit as embarassing as the film that got Jamon Brown canned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

That Peters film is every bit as embarassing as the film that got Jamon Brown canned.

I agree. I defended Peters after what I thought were 2 pretty good games by him before the Cleveland game. But this was a mess. I've been excited for Mailata's future, understanding he's still a work in progress, but I think this game gave us film that suggests Mailata has surpassed Peters now. Maybe JP was playing hurt, IDK, but we can't have someone out there that bad when there's a better option on the roster. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So why on earth does Doug think Peters gives us the best chance of winning? 

Based off the two previous games, I thought it was the right call. My mind has changed now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Based off the two previous games, I thought it was the right call. My mind has changed now.

Mailata has played better than JP this year...