What on earth is going on with Herbig?

Road to Victory

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/what-earth-going-eagles-offensive-lineman-nate-herbig on earth is 

What on earth is going on with Herbig?
Rueben Frank

In a season of mysteries, Nate Herbig falls well below, "What on earth is wrong with Carson Wentz,” "Why the heck is Jason Peters still playing,” and "Whatever happened to Doug Pederson’s knack for play-calling?”

Still … how Herbig inexplicably went from an established starter at right guard to a healthy scratch is definitely an odd development.

After the Eagles had experimented with Matt Pryor and Jason Peters, Herbig — an undrafted rookie in 2019 — wound up as the Eagles' starting right guard on opening day and he started the first eight games of the season — playing all 567 snaps at either right or left guard, depending on who else was available.

Herbig wasn’t about to make the Pro Bowl, but he was mostly solid, especially for a guy with no experience. O-line coach Jeff Stoutland praised his versatility and his ability to seamlessly switch from right guard to left guard as needed:

"Nate Herbig, he and I had a meeting, he's like, 'Coach, I'll do whatever you want me to do. I’ve played on the left side, I’ve played on the right, it doesn't affect me,’” Stoutland said last month. "I’ve coached players here in the past [where] it was challenging for them. Some players are like that. For Nate, it was not any issue at all. To be able to make that move with Nate, it was better for all of us.”

As late as the Dallas game, Herbig was ahead of Pryor and Sea Opeta on the depth chart. 

He was one of only four Eagles to play every snap through eight games. Along with Carson Wentz, Rodney McLeod and Jason Kelce.

But Herbig showed up on the injury report with a finger injury leading up to the second Giants game and although he was healthy enough to be active and briefly get in the game — he played one snap on special teams — Opeta and Pryor started at guard.

Herbig was off the injury report by the time the Eagles returned to practice after the Giants loss, so you figured he'd be back in the lineup.

But 90 minutes before Eagles-Browns kickoff, we learned he wasn’t even active. 

That's when you go back and double-check the injury report to make sure he wasn't on it.

He wasn't.

Seumalo and Pryor started again in the loss to the Browns, and Opeta played 17 snaps at right guard — not his natural position — when Pryor had to move out to right tackle at one point. 

So the Eagles, desperately seeking continuity on the offensive line, arrived at the point where they preferred having Opeta — who had never played right guard — on the field than Herbig, who hadn’t missed a snap the first half of the season, back when the offense was at least doing some good things.

There's obviously a million other factors, but with Herbig the offense was averaging 22 points per game. Without him, it's averaging 17 points per game.

I can’t think of a single instance where a healthy player went directly from starting to inactive.

The Eagles cut Zach Brown last October after he had started the first six games, but he was a 30-year-old linebacker at the end of his career that the Eagles had nothing invested in. Herbig a month ago seemed like a legit prospect.

Pederson explained the move as simply Opeta and Pryor having moved past Herbig on the depth chart.

"There is nothing more to it,” he said. "Opeta has deserved the opportunity right now, and with Isaac coming back, it was just we had all the offensive linemen available and we had to put a couple guys down inactive for the game. Herbie is doing fine. He's doing well. Each week, he's competing for one of those backup spots right now or potentially a starter spot if there is an injury each week.”

So Pryor has gone from getting benched to starting, Opeta has gone from being inactive to starting and Herbig has gone from starting to being inactive.

Hurry back, Brandon Brooks.

• Like 1

I heard Doug's explanation during his presser ... he made absolutely no sense.  I swear between the guy pulling the strings on player acquisition and the coaches determining who sees the field, the roster mismanagement is completely inexcusable.  

• Like 3

They seem to have no plan whatsoever, no team identity, no vision for the future. It's just "dig your heels in if the press and public get nasty" and keep doing the same thing because, hey, we won a SB back in the dark ages.

• Like 1

Sounds like they draw names out of a hat to determine who is active on gamedays or something.

The line has struggled all season, but Herbig never seemed to get completely man-handled the way Opeta was in the game he started. 

• Like 1

Maybe he's been hitting the buffet too hard and ate all of Doug's ice cream. Who knows.

I really don't know and Reuben isn't the only one asking this question. Herbig isn't great but he's played OK, even well at times. He's not a starter but long term he's a pretty good back up. I'm not sure what the coaches are seeing in Opeta or Pryor at this point?

Herbig was definitely the best option at RG with what he had. In fact I have no idea why it wasn't... Mailata, Herbig, Kelce, Peters, Johnson. ZERO SENSE!!! Maybe they want Wentz injured to plug in Hurts. I know, that's not true. But seriously wtf!?!?

This doesn't make a lot of sense from outside, but you never know if there isn't something happening behind the scenes that has prompted this. In any event, going from Herbig to Pryor isn't exactly a huge downgrade. Both guys are who they are. And I thought both Opeta and Pryor played pretty well Sunday. In the list of things that have kept me awake at night during 2020, the decision to play Pryor over Herbig at RG is pretty far down the list.

3 hours ago, Kz! said:

Sounds like they draw names out of a hat to determine who is active on gamedays or something.

The line has struggled all season, but Herbig never seemed to get completely man-handled the way Opeta was in the game he started. 

Herbig made 8 consecutive starts.  Even though it was reported that he had a finger injury, he was still active and even played a snap on STs to be named a healthy scratch the following week.  

Something happened off the field. Could be anything. Pretty shocking Pryor is now ahead of him and Opeta. Howie is my favorite whipping boy but he has some and perhaps a lot of say in who plays. He might be making this call. There is a reason

40 minutes ago, weko said:

Something happened off the field. Could be anything. Pretty shocking Pryor is now ahead of him and Opeta. Howie is my favorite whipping boy but he has some and perhaps a lot of say in who plays. He might be making this call. There is a reason

Or could be Herbig did something to get into Stout’s (or Doug’s) doghouse.  Something just doesn’t add up here.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Or could be Herbig did something to get into Stout’s (or Doug’s) doghouse.  Something just doesn’t add up here.

I'd agree with that yeah. I think he's done something or something has happened here because otherwise it just makes no sense. 

Damn there goes Herbig's career, I was real excited after the RAMS game when he neutralized Aaron Donald.... 

46 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

Damn there goes Herbig's career, I was real excited after the RAMS game when he neutralized Aaron Donald.... 

We don't know that yet. We know he seems to be out of favour with this current coaching staff but how much longer will they be about?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We don't know that yet. We know he seems to be out of favour with this current coaching staff but how much longer will they be about?

They are tanking the season, leaving JP at LT confirms it, JP looks like he is playing on a wheel chair out there.. They are going for that high draft pick and rebuild next year, maybe Herbig can come back strong during the rebuilding phase, but he is pretty much done for this season..

3 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

They are tanking the season, leaving JP at LT confirms it, JP looks like he is playing on a wheel chair out there.. They are going for that high draft pick and rebuild next year, maybe Herbig can come back strong during the rebuilding phase, but he is pretty much done for this season..

I think their argument for playing JP (and I think it is flawed) is that they aren't tanking the season. Same reason why they haven't benched Wentz. And if they tank the season then there is no guarantees they are back. Howie might be thinking ahead to next year, the coaches can't think that way though.

It does amaze me How Doug keeps saying they are putting the best players on the field when it comes to the Oline when everyone clearly knows they are not. NFL experts, fans etc can see this but Doug and his staff can't? Sadly we will never know if this is fully Dougs decision, if his oline staff has any input or if its Howie/Lurie. It makes Doug look incompetent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think their argument for playing JP (and I think it is flawed) is that they aren't tanking the season. Same reason why they haven't benched Wentz. And if they tank the season then there is no guarantees they are back. Howie might be thinking ahead to next year, the coaches can't think that way though.

When it comes to JP, I think it comes down to loyalty and nothing more.  Lurie loves him, Doug loves him.  I really wish we never brought him back.  

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

When it comes to JP, I think it comes down to loyalty and nothing more.  Lurie loves him, Doug loves him.  I really wish we never brought him back.  

I don't get it though. Like the dude has gone a long way this year to ruining some of that greatness and love from the Philly fans. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't get it though. Like the dude has gone a long way this year to ruining some of that greatness and love from the Philly fans. 

After last season concluded, Howie kept mentioning the importance of knowing when it was time to move on (from the aging vets).  Then he goes and brings back JP rather than roll with Pryor, Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta, etc. Never liked the idea of him even playing guard.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

After last season concluded, Howie kept mentioning the importance of knowing when it was time to move on (from the aging vets).  Then he goes and brings back JP rather than roll with Pryor, Herbig, Driscoll, Opeta, etc. Never liked the idea of him even playing guard.  

Exactly. I mean I understood bringing him back to play RG if that was their only intention. That said it was always going to raise some questions if Dillard had any struggles. And when he demanded more money to move to LT they should have told him to do one. 

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly. I mean I understood bringing him back to play RG if that was their only intention. That said it was always going to raise some questions if Dillard had any struggles. And when he demanded more money to move to LT they should have told him to do one. 

JP going to RG now, Mailata to LT and I don’t think they announced who’s replacing Lane. 

57 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

JP going to RG now, Mailata to LT and I don’t think they announced who’s replacing Lane. 

It'll be Pryor as he's somehow worked his way back in to some kind of favour.