11/26 Mock

eaglesfan0075

There is a report out there that Jeff Lurie will make major coaching changes if the team doesn't make the playoffs in January. There is a strong possibility that this team loses the division. I think Lurie would probably try to see if Wentz could be salvaged and give him another year. He's given previous his Eagles head coaches (Rhodes, Reid, Kelly) the opportunity to miss the playoffs two years in a row before getting fired, so Doug Pederson is back as well, but likely not without major changes elsewhere.

Some of the talk regarding Carson Wentz is how the team basically has no choice but to keep him if he continues to struggle due to his cap hit. Interestingly enough, the team can save a marginal amount of money along with the dead money cap hit if they trade him in the offseason. Not an ideal situation, but if the team wants to truly rebuild and see what they have in their 2020 2nd round pick, Jalen Hurts, this would be the opportune time. The likely psychological impact of seeing Foles win a Super Bowl and get a statue outside the Linc, while watching the front office use a 2nd round pick on a QB, in addition to major life changes (big contract, newly married, etc...) is likely contributing to the cavalier gunslinger mentality and regression in mechanics we see on gameday, with little remorse for the turnover issue on Wentz's end.

I can see Lurie asking Pederson to defer play-calling abilities to separate OC and letting Jim Schwartz walk in favor of a new DC. We'll probably see some assistant coach changes as well. Howie Roseman is a bit of a wild card, given his close relationship with Jeffrey Lurie. Perhaps the team finds another Joe Douglas type to handle the draft, but this one is the toughest to predict.

Coaching changes:

Duce Staley promoted from assistant HC/RB coach to offensive coordinator - While this isn't the most exciting hire, the Eagles are no longer a big ticket destination for up and coming coaches to take assistant or coordinator jobs. If you look at the hiring process last year, they got turned down/blocked when asking to speak with James Urban, Mike Kafka, Graham Harrell, etc... for their OC vacancy last offseason and had to settle for what they could get. Staley is possibly the best remaining in-house option for OC and could *hopefully* get this team to run the ball more.

Press Taylor is fired, Marty Mornhinwheg replaces him at QB coach - *See the disclaimer above regarding Staley. Mornhinwheg was a former QB himself and has worked with several Pro Bowl QBs in his career. In the event Duce were to struggle as the OC, he could theoretically step in and call plays. Ideally you would want Staley to succeed since Mornhinwheg is very much like Andy Reid and Doug Pederson with regards to being pass happy. QB coach would probably be the best use for Mornhinwheg if the team is keeping him around.

Jim Schwartz's contract not renewed, DeMeco Ryans becomes the new defensive coordinator - This might be the one exception to what I mentioned above. Ryans was a respected player and leader during his 4 years with the Eagles. This is his 3rd year with the 49ers coaching ILBs, and he previously was a quality control coach for one year. Obviously, this would be a big jump in responsibility from ILB coach to DC, and definitely does come with some risk, but if the Eagles want him, this is probably the time to do so. The 49ers are having a down year and likely can retain DC Robert Saleh for at least another season before he takes a HC job. Ryans has HC aspirations, so this could be the stepping stone for his ultimate goal. 

Trade:

Zach Ertz to the Packers for a 2021 3rd round pick - Given the down year, contract status, and being 30 years of age, I don't see Ertz fetching a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick might be pushing it too. The Packers aren't known for making splashy trades, but they did show interest before the trade deadline, so maybe they do want to provide Aaron Rodgers a reliable receiver not named Davante Adams after all?

According to OverTheCap, the Eagles are projected to get 3 comp picks for Jordan Howard (6), Ronald Darby (6), and Kamu Grugier-Hill (7), which would give the team a total haul of 10 picks with the Ertz trade.

Free Agency:

No major moves given the cap situation, maybe a minor depth signing here and there

Draft:

Round 1: Wyatt Davis OG Ohio State - The Eagles haven't drafted an OG in the first round since Danny Watkins in 2011, but Davis is currently the top ranked interior OL in the class and could very well be a top 15 pick when all is said and done. The team still believes in the upside of Jordan Mailata and Andre Dillard, so I expect them to have both players duke it out at LT in 2021. Brandon Brooks is 31 and coming off a torn Achilles, whereas the LG position can certainly stand to use an upgrade over Matt Pryor/Isaac Seumalo. DE is certainly an option here given historical trends with this team, with no clear cut second best option after Miami's Gregory Rousseau at this time.

Round 2: Derion Kendrick CB Clemson - Finally the Eagles get a legitimate starting CB to put across from Darius Slay and stop trying to convert nickel CBs into outside players. After watching Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas find new life on other teams, they try again to draft an outside CB

Round 3: Jabril Cox LB LSU - Davion Taylor is a project, and the team still needs help at LB, so Cox jumps in the mix for a starting position right away as a rookie

Round 3 (GB): Caden Sterns S Texas - While K'Von Wallace has the potential to be a starter at S, the team still needs another long term option with Rodney McLeod already 30 years old and Jalen Mills being average at best at the other spot

Round 5 (DAL): Stevie Scott RB Indiana - At 6'2 and 231 lbs, Scott has the size to be the ideal complementary power back to Miles Sanders, especially if they don't re-sign Jordan Howard

Round 6: Jimmy Morrissey C Pittsburgh - Heir apparent to Jason Kelce, who is unfortunately likely nearing the end of his career as an Eagle, having hinted at retirement these past few years

Round 6 (comp): Daelin Hayes DE Notre Dame - Hayes fits the size profile in what the Eagles like in their DE and the rotation can use another young player with Brandon Graham not getting younger and Vinny Curry a free agent. Plus this team loves drafting DL, early or late it doesn't matter, always have to keep it in consideration

Round 6 (comp): Tyler Vrabel OT Boston College - Yes it's Mike Vrabel's son, and even with Mailata and Dillard in the mix at LT, the team still needs depth at backup tackle

Round 7: Lorenzo Neal Jr. DT Purdue - Continuing with the theme of former players' sons is Lorenzo Neal, who adds more depth to current DT corps

Round 7 (comp): Brant Kuithe TE Utah - He's fairly undersized for a TE at 6'2 and 235, primarily a receiving TE prospect, and you know the Eagles aren't exiting the draft without a Pac-12 pick. While RIchard Rodgers has had some success at TE2 with Ertz out, the team will likely bring in another player to compete.

- if we pick in the top 10, I would be pretty disappointed if we take a OG there but if a QB needy team comes calling and offers us, say, a 2nd and change for trading down a couple of spots, I’d be all over Davis in that 12 to 15 range.

- Just trading Ertz won’t cut it. We’re about 60 million over the cap. Something has to give.

- I can see Doug being back but to promote Deuce won’t do a thing IMO. While I love Deuce, I don’t see an offensive genius who’ll get this offense and Wentz back on track. Should be someone from outside.

- same with QB coach;

- but I do love your picks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

- if we pick in the top 10, I would be pretty disappointed if we take a OG there but if a QB needy team comes calling and offers us, say, a 2nd and change for trading down a couple of spots, I’d be all over Davis in that 12 to 15 range.

- Just trading Ertz won’t cut it. We’re about 60 million over the cap. Something has to give.

- I can see Doug being back but to promote Deuce won’t do a thing IMO. While I love Deuce, I don’t see an offensive genius who’ll get this offense and Wentz back on track. Should be someone from outside.

- same with QB coach;

- but I do love your picks!

Thanks Ray!

I agree with you on Davis. I was projecting the Eagles to pick around 13-15ish here, but if they land in the top 10 they could get a higher ranked prospect for sure.

Fletcher Cox sticks out as the other major trade possibility after Ertz. I did notice you trade Malik Jackson in your new mock, which would be nice, since we would get to keep Cox on a restructured deal.

In terms of coaches, I would also preferably like an outside guy for OC and QB coach, but we might be stuck with someone from a team that's cleaning house like the Falcons, Texans, Jets, etc.. versus an internal promotion. However, that still might be better I guess.

Appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Thanks Ray!

I agree with you on Davis. I was projecting the Eagles to pick around 13-15ish here, but if they land in the top 10 they could get a higher ranked prospect for sure.

Fletcher Cox sticks out as the other major trade possibility after Ertz. I did notice you trade Malik Jackson in your new mock, which would be nice, since we would get to keep Cox on a restructured deal.

In terms of coaches, I would also preferably like an outside guy for OC and QB coach, but we might be stuck with someone from a team that's cleaning house like the Falcons, Texans, Jets, etc.. versus an internal promotion. However, that still might be better I guess.

Appreciate the feedback.

Anytime, my friend!