Eagles Rumors: Owner Jeffrey Lurie's Frustration with Team 'Has Been Mounting'

Road to Victory

Eagles Rumors: Owner Jeffrey Lurie's Frustration with Team 'Has Been Mounting'

TIM DANIELSNOVEMBER 28, 2020

Philadelphia Eagles Chairman and CEO, Jeffrey Lurie waves before an NFL football game against Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2020, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Rich Schultz)
Rich Schultz/Associated Press

Philadelphia Eagles chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lurie reportedly didn't attend the team's Week 11 road loss to the Cleveland Browns because his "frustration with his team has been mounting."

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported the news Saturday and noted Lurie has left recent practice sessions in "disgust," though an Eagles spokesperson said Lurie skipped the Browns game because of the coronavirus pandemic and out of caution ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, during which he planned to visit his mother.

Sources close to the team were "shocked" when Lurie missed the game and couldn't remember a previous instance of his not being in attendance since he purchased the franchise in 1994, per McLane.

The report stated Lurie is expected to attend Monday night's Week 12 home game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lincoln Financial Field.

Philadelphia was atop the NFC East for much of the season, but that was mostly because of poor performances around the division.

The Washington Football Team (4-7) took over first place with a Thanksgiving Day win over the Dallas Cowboys (3-8). The Eagles (3-6-1) are one-half game behind, and the New York Giants (3-7) are in the hunt too.

Most of Philly's problems have come on offense. It ranks 26th in total offense (330.1 yards per game) and 24th in scoring offense (22.0 points per game).

Quarterback Carson Wentz is a major reason for those struggles. He's completed just 58.4 percent of his throws for 2,326 yards with 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

"Are we playing as good as we can as a team? No. Am I playing my best football? No," Wentz told reporters Sunday. "There were some circumstances out there today that we left some plays out there on the field. We'll be critical; we'll go back and watch the tape."

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said he's still committed to Wentz as the starter despite the presence of second-round pick Jalen Hurts.

The offense will look to get back on track against a defense that's giving up more yards per game (434.9) than any team in the NFL. The Seahawks also allow 28.7 points per game, which ranks 28th in the league.

This is great news if true. We need Lurie to be very frustrated so he makes some changes around here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

This is great news if true. We need Lurie to be very frustrated so he makes some changes around here.

Start with Roseman 

• Like 2

I think Lurie missing the Cleveland game is the media feasting on a story that isn't there. I'm sure it's covid related. I mean when things were ugly in 2015 he didn't miss games did he?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weko said:

Four weeks from now we should be 3-10-1.  Maybe that will get him to clean house

Even with these "reports” (based on quotes from anonymous sources), I still find it hard to believe Lurie would have the stones to completely remove Howie or Doug from the picture.  I’ve thought all along that it will take multiple consecutive seasons of far below average play to make those kinds of changes.  Wishful thinking and realistic expectations are two entirely different things.  But time will tell.  

59 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Even with these "reports” (based on quotes from anonymous sources), I still find it hard to believe Lurie would have the stones to completely remove Howie or Doug from the picture.  I’ve thought all along that it will take multiple consecutive seasons of far below average play to make those kinds of changes.  Wishful thinking and realistic expectations are two entirely different things.  But time will tell.  

He might not get rid of Howie or Doug but he could force some changes like hiring a real talent evaluator and putting him in charge of the draft. He could also tell Doug to hire a real OC and have him call the plays but I don’t think he would really want to get involved in game day operations. Next year will be a rude awakening after we butcher the roster for cap reasons and draft in the top 5. 

2 hours ago, weko said:

Four weeks from now we should be 3-10-1.  Maybe that will get him to clean house

Yes sir.  Can’t hide behind that one.  Only wild card is if Hurts comes in and lights it up which would be a good problem to have.

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Lurie missing the Cleveland game is the media feasting on a story that isn't there. I'm sure it's covid related. I mean when things were ugly in 2015 he didn't miss games did he?

Pretty much this. Lurie himself said it was a precaution due to spending time with his mother for the Holidays. He never missed a game during Chip or Andy's ugly seasons BUT there wasnt a pandemic going on either. This is just another over hyped reaction by the media to get more readers. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Pretty much this. Lurie himself said it was a precaution due to spending time with his mother for the Holidays. He never missed a game during Chip or Andy's ugly seasons BUT there wasnt a pandemic going on either. This is just another over hyped reaction by the media to get more readers. 

Could be but McLane said Lurie takes his private plane to away games so I’m not sure if going to an away game is anymore risky than a home game (well, at least before fans were banned again). It’s possible it was all about Thanksgiving with his mother but he could be exposed to Covid anywhere so I’m not sure if I buy it. A rich guy like him can really isolate himself from the general public. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Yeah I mean I think the media are looking at the situation, seeing Lurie not going to the game and it writes the story for them. But this team could be the worst in NFL history and I think Lurie would still go to games. The reason he didn't was due to the pandemic. 

I think I figured out who Jeffrey Lurie's cartoon alter-ego is: Jerry from Rick and Morty.

Well intentioned but blissfully ignorant.

Rick And Morty Jerry GIF - RickAndMorty Jerry Annoyed - Discover & Share  GIFs

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I think I figured out who Jeffrey Lurie's cartoon alter-ego is: Jerry from Rick and Morty.

Well intentioned but blissfully ignorant.

Rick And Morty Jerry GIF - RickAndMorty Jerry Annoyed - Discover & Share  GIFs

He didn’t look too happy tonight.

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

He didn’t look too happy tonight.

Unhappy enough to dump Howie Roseman like he should?

I doubt it.

Just now, PoconoDon said:

Unhappy enough to dump Howie Roseman like he should?

I doubt it.

One can only hope. 

Lurie is not stupid, he is seeing what we all are seeing, the question is has he had enough watching this mess to have heads roll early or will he wait until after the season. I say it happens at the end of the season.

Of course Lurie is frustrated.....who the f--- isn't.  And I'm sure he'll get answers and will want to know how they intend to fix it.  But throwing Wentz, Pedersen and Roseman away is something a franchise like the old browns or the jets do.  And that leads to perennial losing.

There are answers and solutions to get the eagles somewhat back on track, but Pedersen can't seem to make a hard decision or hold players accountable.....Something he's never really had to do before.  A characteristic of a good HC is a guy who puts the team before all else, good or bad times.....but Pedersen is willing to throw this season away without even trying something to give a spark to the offense.  I don't know if Hurts or Sudfeld would do anything to get the offense on track, but it's worth a try. 

I'd be shocked if Lurie fires Roseman and/or Pedersen after one sh-- show if a season.  The 2 seasons before were injury riddles seasons where the team kept fighting and made the playoffs.  This year, they're a mess.  But I always said, this team will go as Wentz goes....and when it goes this bad, then Wentz needs to be benched, even if it seems like an act of desperation.

As long as Howie is part of the organization, nothing will change. The good picks of previous regimes that masked his ineptitude are almost all gone now. He has only his own terrible selections to build the core of the team with. He's building a perennial 6 win team with a +/- 2 win a year MOE.

Show him the door today. He's earned it.

4 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Of course Lurie is frustrated.....who the f--- isn't.  And I'm sure he'll get answers and will want to know how they intend to fix it.  But throwing Wentz, Pedersen and Roseman away is something a franchise like the old browns or the jets do.  And that leads to perennial losing.

There are answers and solutions to get the eagles somewhat back on track, but Pedersen can't seem to make a hard decision or hold players accountable.....Something he's never really had to do before.  A characteristic of a good HC is a guy who puts the team before all else, good or bad times.....but Pedersen is willing to throw this season away without even trying something to give a spark to the offense.  I don't know if Hurts or Sudfeld would do anything to get the offense on track, but it's worth a try. 

I'd be shocked if Lurie fires Roseman and/or Pedersen after one sh-- show if a season.  The 2 seasons before were injury riddles seasons where the team kept fighting and made the playoffs.  This year, they're a mess.  But I always said, this team will go as Wentz goes....and when it goes this bad, then Wentz needs to be benched, even if it seems like an act of desperation.

With Roseman it’s been more than just one **** show of a season. He’s been running the show since Chip left and he hasn’t drafted well or managed the cap well at all. He has proven he cannot evaluate talent and needs to be replaced. 

Last night Howie's trade went flat with he got burned by a WR they should have taken. How about that 4th round pick for a DE? What's his name again ;)

His draft picks have been horrible. Absolutely horrible for years.

His FA signings haven't been much of anything either

He's given out horrible contracts

Howie needs to go. The end.