Rex Ryan: Jalen Hurts 'doesn't have the NFL skillset'

Road to Victory

https://247sports.com/Article/Jalen-Hurts-Rex-Ryan-doesnt-have-NFL-skillset-Philadelphia-Eagles-Carson-Wentz-Seattle-Seahawks-Doug-Pederson-155695644/

Rex Ryan: Jalen Hurts 'doesn't have the NFL skillset'

Jalen Hurts is reportedly going to get more playing time, his most all season, for the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday night. The rookie quarterback out of Oklahoma and Alabama is expected to still backup Carson Wentz but was working more with the first team in practice and could see the field without Wentz also lined up.

The Eagles, who sit in third place in the NFC East at 3-6-1, but somehow can get back into first place with an upset win over the Seattle Seahawks, need some sort of a spark with a struggling Wentz. However, inserting Hurts even more may completely backfire, according to NFL analyst and former coach Rex Ryan.

Speaking on Monday morning’s edition of "Get Up,” Ryan was adamant about the Eagles lack of confidence all around and said Hurts isn’t cut out for the position.

Guys, Jalen Hurts, we can say what we want, he doesn’t have the NFL skillset, he really doesn’t,” Ryan said. "The fact that you're showing me lack of confidence….Guys here's a fact, three years ago, Carson Wentz was the leading candidate to win the MVP before he got hurt. How far has regressed is absolutely amazing to me. It's just crazy, I can't believe it.”

According to NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport, Hurts is expected to have an increased load on Monday night.

"Jalen Hurts is expected to receive increased playing time at quarterback, and unlike previous snaps, Wentz won't be on the field,” NFL Network reports. "It will be the first time in 2020 that this dynamic will take place.

"It's unlikely that Hurts, the second-round Heisman finalist from Oklahoma and Alabama, will get to take an entire series. More likely, it will be two or three plays at a time. But, based on the game plan and the week of practice, he should see his most significant snaps yet.”

NFL analyst Domonique Foxworth thinks Wentz is still the long term option for the Eagles, but they should see what they have in Hurts at this point, despite technically being in contention for the division.

"I would absolutely be considering it,” Foxworth said. "I'm not seeing what they're seeing in practice and I wasn't high on Jalen Hurts coming out of the draft so I don’t think Jalen Hurts is necessarily the answer but what else can you change at this moment? Why draft a guy that high if you don't want to go with him? Carson Wentz, I think it would serve him well to potentially take a different perspective for a week. He might come back a little or a lot better and he might also give everyone perspective on the difference between these two players. Carson Wentz is absolutely the long term answer for the next few years but for now, it's worth giving Hurts a shot to see what happens. He can’t play much worse than Carson Wentz has in recent weeks.”

With his limited action this year, Hurts only threw the ball twice this season while virtually every other play he ran or was used as a decoy. Hurts is two of two passing for 27 yards, 56 rushing yards on 12 carries and one reception for three yards in limited action this season.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

The Eagles (3-6-1) are scheduled to take on the Seattle Seahawks (7-3) next Monday at home at 8:15 p.m. ET.

No one was really high on Jalen Hurts except for Howie. He’s not an elite passer or an elite runner like Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson. I’m not sure that his skills will ever translate from college to the NFL. I thought he was a 4th round project before the draft and like many here, I thought he was a terrible pick in terms of need and value for the Eagles. 

• Like 2

Why should I care what a defensive coach thinks of Hurts skill set? I mean Rex thought Mark Sanchez had that skill set so... yeah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean until he actually plays nobody knows. He may well be a bust but he may also be a very good NFL QB. I don't think anyone is truly expecting him to be elite but I mean he does have pedigree. He has won at a high level in college for 2 different teams. 

41 minutes ago, nipples said:

Why should I care what a defensive coach thinks of Hurts skill set? I mean Rex thought Mark Sanchez had that skill set so... yeah. 

I trust his judgement over the lawyer who drafted him and never played or coached football in his life. Not even pee wee football. 

If Hurts is a bust too, that should seal Howie’s fate.  But am really hoping Hurts provides the breath of fresh air that we desperately need.  And continue to think that CW may be able to regain his top form under the right offensive minds.

• Like 1

I hated the pick because I felt that way as well. But, we've got him now, so we have to find out on way or the other eventually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kz! said:

I hated the pick because I felt that way as well. But, we've got him now, so we have to find out on way or the other eventually.

Exactly how I feel. I think he’s a backup QB at best but let’s see what he’s got. It can’t get much worse, can it? 

Ryan is probably right. Am I surprised that Howie thought taking him was a steal for his imaginary QB factory? No, not at all. Howie is a terrible judge of talent and he must go.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Ryan is probably right. Am I surprised that Howie thought taking him was a steal for his imaginary QB factory? No, not at all. Howie is a terrible judge of talent and he must go.

QB factory, Gold standard. You can’t make this crap up. Lurie and Howie are living on Fantasy Island with those quotes. 

6 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Exactly how I feel. I think he’s a backup QB at best but let’s see what he’s got. It can’t get much worse, can it? 

Be careful asking such questions, you might not like the answer though I agree with you. An offense worse than Monday night is hard to envision.

5 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Be careful asking such questions, you might not like the answer though I agree with you. An offense worse than Monday night is hard to envision.

An offense worse than probably 9 of the games, at least, this year is hard to envisage. 

On 11/30/2020 at 1:08 PM, nipples said:

And geno Smith. Based off of his evaluation Hurts will be a HOFer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

QB factory, Gold standard. You can’t make this crap up. Lurie and Howie are living on Fantasy Island with those quotes. 

Boss the plane! the Plane!

"No Tattoo, thats just the eagles fans hopes and dreams plummeting to the earth in a crumpled heap of fire and despair"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1