NCAA Men’s Basketball

The_Omega

Syracuse had a good run considering they easily could have been in the NIT.

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Nova has Gillespie they might have won that game. The turnovers and ball handling has killed them in this half. 

Seems they turned it over on every possession in the key stretch. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Seems they turned it over on every possession in the key stretch. 

I thought winthrop was going To beat them in round one because of turnovers. You saw them in the couple games after Gillespie got hurt they had issues with scoring the ball. Turnovers weren’t very high but they couldn’t run the offense as effectively. I thought winthrop and north texas didn’t really pressure nova like Baylor did. Nova had 16 turnovers which was double their season total and Baylor had about 22 points off of them.  You cut that down to about 9-10 they are right in that game at the end. 

• Like 1

Pac 12 going to have 3 teams in the elite 8. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Pac 12 going to have 3 teams in the elite 8. 

11/25 from FT good job Bama 

7 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

11/25 from FT good job Bama 

Yup. They won that game if they just make ft down the stretch and they are normally a 72% FT shooting team. 

Pray the referee is ok after his collapse.

He was awake when they carted him off.

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Roy Williams to retire.

Jay Wright to UNC? Seems like a natural fit.

i’d be ok with that. i do think they need to clean house with the long time "blue blood” crowd as well. too much complacency these last few years.

30 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No chance.  

Don't sleep on Billy Donovan.  

It does help make sense out of the Walker Kessler decision.  Which sucks!  

The transfer portal has become ridiculous. I don’t. Blame them ncaa has over 1000 kids in that portal this year and the way it’s going the NCAA is going to be more of a headache then it’s worth for some coaches. One of the reasons Steve Kerr said he’d never coach ncaa basketball was the aau circuit and how the ncaa is run and direction it was going. So this isn’t just Roy williams that feels a certain way about the ncaa 

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Hmmm...interesting.  I thought maybe Kessler was getting out before Roy announced.  I don't blame Roy though.  It's been terrible.  The one and done players at Duke, UNC and Kentucky in addition to the transfer portal has ruined the sport in my opinion.  Teams who recruit 5 star studs are now punished.  20 years ago, there was no way in hell DayRon Sharpe would declare after one season at UNC.  Same with Anthony a few years ago.  The blue bloods are going to struggle to compete unless they shift their focus to 3-4 star recruits who are willing to play multiple seasons.    

Have multiple friends in recruiting and work for various sites like 24/7 that have told me that recruiting changed when they allowed for the transfer portal to be what it has become. Then it is really going to change again for a lot of the programs once the nba allows the jump form HS to the pros again. A lot of 5 stars won’t go to college and opt for G league or overseas if they don’t get drafted. So you have to begin recruiting 4 and 3 star kids that you can develop into good players for 2-3 years down the road. However with the transfer portal it’s becoming if they don’t play right away and can go elsewhere they will so you have to be extremely active in the portal. expected to be major push back from coaches this summer about it. A lot of kids are using it to re-recruit to find a bigger school  then they started with and using the previous school as a stepping stone  

Arizona has a kid Baker who didn’t make it at Kentucky. Came here and really before his injury was being phased into a solid role player and didn’t like it so he’s transferring again. However before he decided to transfer he was going to go to the nba cause he believed he was good enough as is. Apparently he talked to some scouts and they told him that if you can’t be a vital player at Arizona or Kentucky how do you expect to stick in the nba. Kind of just tells you everything about how delusional some of the players are in their expectations of what they think they are and earned in terms of playing time  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh.  I’m pretty sure it’s a combination of reasons.  But it was pretty refreshing to hear Roy Williams basically say he’s not the man for the job anymore.  The guard play the last few years has been pretty bad.  And UNC has always has good guard play under Roy.  Coupled with the opt outs (which he criticized) one and done players and the transfer portal.  He obviously had enough.  Hats off to him for recognizing it’s passed him by.   

I actually got to meet Roy Williams when he coached for Kansas. We went to the 2001 final four. Just happened that our hotel had the coaches convention. He saw my friend and I walking to the elevator the night before the championship game. Talked to us while waiting for and up the elevator. One of the nicest coaches/athletes I’ve ever met. He talked about some stories of battles he and lute Olson had over the years. And however he was pulling for lute after losing his wife to cancer that season. Shook our hands when he left and said bear down when he left. Probably the highlight of the entire trip outside of the games. 

• Thanks 1

Being a Duke fan, I hated Roy when he 1st took over UNC.  He was a jackass. Over time though, he really calmed down and became a great guy. Hate to see him go. Their 1st call should be to Leonard Hamilton.

Anyway, I really hope that Gonzaga loses tonight. I don’t see it happening though. I see another blowout.

Holy crap that was an unbelievable block by Gonzaga 

43 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Baylor is a machine

My belief when you win a game like Gonzaga did with that much emotion. that the next time you play you tend to come out flat or just get destroyed. Think about what happened with the Minneapolis miracle and how the Rams won against the Saints. Following game just got destroyed and were flat for most of the game 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

My belief when you win a game like Gonzaga did with that much emotion. that the next time you play you tend to come out flat or just get destroyed. Think about what happened with the Minneapolis miracle and how the Rams won against the Saints. Following game just got destroyed and were flat for most of the game 

Baylor in bad foul trouble. 

Kispert has lost a lot of money today. 

36 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Baylor in bad foul trouble. 

Kispert has lost a lot of money today. 

Butler playing the game of his life tonight. Had an Arizona coach (use that loosely as he might not have a job for much longer— major things happening behind the scenes at Arizona) tell me he thought Baylor would beat Gonzaga due to their athleticism and seemed to get better and better with each round and back to what they were prior to stopping for covid