Rich Scangarello

Traveler Vic

An interesting article today in the Inq. about Rich Scangarello. He was brought in to improve our offense. His background is Shannahans run pass system in Denver. A question that i have is who brought him in and for what purpose? Scangarello's expertise is in an outside run game, giving fast players in space, a chance to succeed. Doug does not run the ball and from the very first moment he resented Scangarello's presence/ ignored his advices. DP certainly was not the one requesting more coaches or advice. Was it Howie? Possibly ....but Howie does not have the power to install a coach , whose balanced run philosophy directly contradicts with the Head Coach. This leaves only one, and most likely suspect, Lurie brought in Scangarello. Only Lurie has this kind of power. Whatever Scangerello brings, run or pass, is irrelevant. What is relevant is Lurie is mending in the coaching decisions, DP is failing miserably with his own play calling, there is an open confrontation between DP and Lurie. Part of me feels sorry for Scangarello. He was brought in to help...but instead he is left standing on the sidelines watching Lurie, Howie, DP duking it out. I wonder what the Eagles spin will be when ignored, unlisted to Scangarello will get fired at the end of the year?

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

An interesting article today in the Inq. about Rich Scangarello. He was brought in to improve our offense. His background is Shannahans run pass system in Denver. A question that i have is who brought him in and for what purpose? Scangarello's expertise is in an outside run game, giving fast players in space, a chance to succeed. Doug does not run the ball and from the very first moment he resented Scangarello's presence/ ignored his advices. DP certainly was not the one requesting more coaches or advice. Was it Howie? Possibly ....but Howie does not have the power to install a coach , whose balanced run philosophy directly contradicts with the Head Coach. This leaves only one, and most likely suspect, Laurie brought in Scangarello. Only Laurie has this kind of power. Whatever Scangerello brings, run or pass, is irrelevant. What is relevant is Laurie is mending in the coaching decisions, DP is failing miserably with his own play calling, there is an open confrontation between DP and Laurie. Part of me feels sorry for Scangarello. He was brought in to help...but instead he is left standing on the sidelines watching Laurie, Howie, DP duking it out. I wonder what the Eagles spin will be when ignored, unlisted to Scangarello will get fired at the end of the year?

It's clear there is chaos behind the scenes and it shows up on the field. I also suspect a lot of players no longer want to play in Philly because of Howie's constant power plays.

Mikey Miss had a great show opening the other day where he said that Howie is unqualified: he has never worked his way up the ranks by spending years as a scout, never played sports of any kind, never been coached. He got lucky in 2017 and it's totally gone to his head.

• Like 6

Who's this Laurie that you talk of?

A lot of offensive coaching changes were made during this off season. None of them make sense now that we look back at it. Doug seemed to want to keep Groh and Walch and Doug doesn't run the kind of offense that Scango runs. 

At the time we thought it was going to really help our offense and add new wrinkles. The reality is, Doug is too damn stubborn and he's not using these new coaches. 

But it's just another nail in Doug’s coffin. He won a SB 3 years ago, made the play off the next 2 years and yet has less power than a lot of young HCs around the league. 

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who's this Laurie that you talk of?

A lot of offensive coaching changes were made during this off season. None of them make sense now that we look back at it. Doug seemed to want to keep Groh and Walch and Doug doesn't run the kind of offense that Scango runs. 

At the time we thought it was going to really help our offense and add new wrinkles. The reality is, Doug is too damn stubborn and he's not using these new coaches. 

But it's just another nail in Doug’s coffin. He won a SB 3 years ago, made the play off the next 2 years and yet has less power than a lot of young HCs around the league. 

too many cooks in the kitchen

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

too many cooks in the kitchen

Which is a fair comment BUT actually that would make more sense if they actually looked like they were trying to incorporate all these new ideas.

6 hours ago, Madriver said:

It's clear there is chaos behind the scenes and it shows up on the field. I also suspect a lot of players no longer want to play in Philly because of Howie's constant power plays.

Mikey Miss had a great show opening the other day where he said that Howie is unqualified: he has never worked his way up the ranks by spending years as a scout, never played sports of any kind, never been coached. He got lucky in 2017 and it's totally gone to his head.

Unqualified? Wasn't he part of a Super Bowl winning organization not too long ago. I get if one hates the dude but stop with that qualifications at this juncture.

Apparently Rich has been in charge of playcalling in 2 minute situations. Looking back at our 11 games, the 2 minute situations at the ends of halves has been the best our offense has looked. They almost always seem to be able to move the ball. Maybe there’s something to do that. 

48 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which is a fair comment BUT actually that would make more sense if they actually looked like they were trying to incorporate all these new ideas.

It almost makes me think adding Scang (and maybe Marty and some of the others that were added to the offensive coaching staff) weren't by Doug's request, that maybe Mr. Smarter-Than-Everyone-Else-In-The-Room hired some of them and Doug is a bit resentful hence not incorporating more plays that would likely come as a result of their influence.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It almost makes me think adding Scang (and maybe Marty and some of the others that were added to the offensive coaching staff) weren't by Doug's request, that maybe Mr. Smarter-Than-Everyone-Else-In-The-Room hired some of them and Doug is a bit resentful hence not incorporating more plays that would likely come as a result of their influence.  

I have no idea where you would get that idea from...

🙄

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

One thing is clear - and Jeff Lurie sees it - Doug isn't getting the job done and needs to read the writing on the wall.  The offense is a disaster, the quarterback, right now, looks like the biggest miss in franchise history and his bosses are bringing in other offensive coaches despite his resistance.  Bad optics if you're Doug and maybe Howie.

• Like 2

Instead of Howie getting fired, they are going to fire Doug 1st. Who replaces Doug? Not sure just yet, but he is definitely gone before Lurie ever lets hit butt buddy Howie go. Just fore both of them and start new, but if the owner keeps on meddling, the new head coach is going to suffer. It seemed as if Lurie never used to meddle very much, but last year, that changed a lot.

1 minute ago, Talonblood said:

Instead of Howie getting fired, they are going to fire Doug 1st. Who replaces Doug? Not sure just yet, but he is definitely gone before Lurie ever lets hit butt buddy Howie go. Just fore both of them and start new, but if the owner keeps on meddling, the new head coach is going to suffer. It seemed as if Lurie never used to meddle very much, but last year, that changed a lot.

You're probably right.  God I hate the idea of Howie being involved in the next HC search/hire.  They'll need to find someone who will "play nice" with him, which limits the pool of candidates.  

• Like 1

Let's face it. It doesn't matter who the coach would have been this season. Wentz has not played well. There were many many many proper play calls that Wentz either didn't see the WR open, took the bigger risk when an easier play was right there, held on too long, or simply threw the ball bad. Now don't get me wrong, DP and the rest of the coaches/FO haven't been perfect and I'm not saying they don't deserve any blame. But Wentz alone has easily cost us 2 or 3 games himself. You can have a perfect blueprint, but when the worker's don't produce there is only so much blame that can go around.

Almost all of these "articles” are packed with rumor, speculation and anonymous sources. Real slop. So who knows. I doubt Lurie would have made Doug accept anyone on his staff that he didn’t at least sign off on. Read in another "article” that Scangarello liked Reagor over Jefferson and that’s why they made that pick. Who knows if that’s true. Getting real close to not reading any of this anymore if this is the best they can do ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Runtherock said:

Almost all of these "articles” are packed with rumor, speculation and anonymous sources. Real slop. So who knows. I doubt Lurie would have made Doug accept anyone on his staff that he didn’t at least sign off on. Read in another "article” that Scangarello liked Reagor over Jefferson and that’s why they made that pick. Who knows if that’s true. Getting real close to not reading any of this anymore if this is the best they can do ..

I cant see Lurie making decisions to hire assistant coaches for Doug.    I dont think Lurie is that hands on.  If anything it's probably Howie.  Maybe Lurie insists that certain changes need to be made but I doubt he's the one picking Marty and Scangrello.

5 hours ago, Talonblood said:

You know Howie’s going to blame Doug to save his own skin. Then Howie will try to convince Lurie that he’s the right guy to help him find a new coach. Hopefully, Lurie doesn’t buy the BS that Howie is selling. 

• Like 1

The whole system is a fail. It's like trying to order one pizza with a lot of people. Everyone wants different toppings.  Marty and Doug probably want to call 80% passes and Rich isn't going to change that. So, what is he going to do?  They need to scale it back down to a traditional HC and OC approach without all these consultants.  If you scale it down, it makes the HC and OC more accountable because it is all on them.  Lurie should've never signed off on this committee approach.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

The whole system is a fail. It's like trying to order one pizza with a lot of people. Everyone wants different toppings.  Marty and Doug probably want to call 80% passes and Rich isn't going to change that. So, what is he going to do?  They need to scale it back down to a traditional HC and OC approach without all these consultants.  If you scale it down, it makes the HC and OC more accountable because it is all on them.  Lurie should've never signed off on this committee approach.  

Problem is... Everyone wants different toppings so rather than throwing them all on they've gone with no toppings. No cheese and no sauce base.

I know I expressed a thought in an earlier post that perhaps Doug is a bit resentful (for having Scang and other coaches that may have been forced on to him) and out of spite refuses to incorporate their ideas more.  But upon further thought, maybe he just doesn't know how to ... could be he just knows one system (the old WCO) and has a difficult time getting out of his comfort zone.  Judging by the play calling we've seen the past couple of seasons, I'll venture to guess he isn't very creative.  He may have an offensive background (albeit somewhat limited) and have "emotional intelligence" but he is not in the same league (and not even close) as the brightest offensive coaches in the league like Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan, etc.  

He also comes across as being extremely stubborn.  His first idea to "fix" Wentz is to make him play through it - when it becomes obvious that isn't working he doesn't change his approach - after several weeks of continued struggles he continues to state Wentz needs to work his way through his issues.  Like he has no other answers (goes back to point 1 about lack of creativity).  He's basically a stunad.  

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He also comes across as being extremely stubborn.  His first idea to "fix" Wentz is to make him play through it - when it becomes obvious that isn't working he doesn't change his approach - after several weeks of continued struggles he continues to state Wentz needs to work his way through his issues.  Like he has no other answers (goes back to point 1 about lack of creativity).  He's basically a stunad.  

Sound a little like Andy when he was here? "Gotta keep firin'."

On 12/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, Talonblood said:

Howard!!

Howard is awesome as a hammer...or at least he was...but Shanahan's System is designed to put fast RBs in space. That means Scott and Sanders open and testing the edges, while a TE are either blocking, or emptying the box.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Howard is awesome as a hammer...or at least he was...but Shanahan's System is designed to put fast RBs in space. That means Scott and Sanders open and testing the edges, while a TE are either blocking, or emptying the box.

It was just nice seeing him again. I like his style of running to offset guys like Sanders. I loved Blount, too. Would be nice to have a young version of Blount to go with Sanders.

• Like 1