Pederson has reportedly already handed over some play-calling duties

Road to Victory

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/doug-pederson-has-reportedly-already-handed-over-some-play-calling-duties
Pederson has reportedly already handed over some play-calling duties

Dave Zangaro

Earlier this week, when asked about the possibility of giving up play-calling responsibilities, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said that possibility was "on the table.”

Apparently it’s a lot more than on the table.

Because according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Jeff McLane, Pederson has already been giving up portions of his play-calling duties to Press Taylor and Rich Scangarello this season.

Scangarello has apparently been calling plays in two-minute situations all season, according to the report. That’s especially noteworthy because the Eagles have been statistically a much better offense in those situations when they go with their no-huddle, hurry-up offense.

In addition, the report says that in recent games, Pederson has given Taylor more play-calling responsibilities recently and could give him even more beginning on Sunday afternoon in Green Bay. The report did not say what dictates when Pederson hands that job to Taylor.

This is all a little strange because throughout this season, at least before this week, Pederson has steadfastly resisted any talk about his possibly giving up play-calling.

And even this week, he said this about that role:

"I take pride in play calling and I look at everything. I got to take everything into consideration. If I feel like I get stuck or in a rut, I definitely would consider giving that up.”

Perhaps the success the Eagles have had under Scangarello in two-minute situations was enough reason for Pederson to keep it a secret. Or perhaps there’s some competitive advantage in the defense not knowing who is calling the plays in those situations. While film doesn’t lie, a defense’s knowing someone with Scangarello’s background is calling plays might gives hints as to what’s coming.

Taylor has been with the Eagles since the Chip Kelly days and has worked his way up. He was the assistant QBs coach behind John DeFilippo and was promoted after Flip left. And then he was promoted to passing game coordinator this offseason.

This offseason, the Eagles also hired Scangarello as a senior offensive assistant. He comes from the Kyle Shanahan tree but had been the Broncos’ offensive coordinator and play caller in 2019. He wasn’t highly regarded as a play caller last season but he also reportedly doesn’t have the whole thing on his plate with the Eagles this year.

With Taylor and Scangarello taking over some play calling duties, it means that Pederson has given them those responsibilities over Duce Staley and Marty Mornhinweg, who are two other potential play-calling candidates.

Even though Pederson has reportedly been giving up chunks of play calling, it’s still his favorite thing to do. Last month, I asked him how he thought he was doing in that role:

"I feel good about the plays that have been called,” Pederson said after the loss to the Giants. "I even looked at the game yesterday and felt I was in rhythm. I've always looked at the game through the eyes of the quarterback and how he views it and how he sees it. I think it's important that quarterback and play caller are on the same page that way and Carson and I had those conversations during the week and day before the game and go through a lot of different scenarios and we're prepared that way.

"And look, not every game is going to be perfect. There's going to be mistakes made and there's going to be things that we're going to have to overcome and that's part of our jobs. Nobody's perfect. By no means am I perfect. I'm going to make a decision error, I'm going to make a play calling error, but at the same time, hopefully I can do my job to put the offense in position to be successful.”

Pederson will have his final virtual press conference of this week on Friday morning at 10:30 a.m. and we’ll find out what he has to say about all this soon enough.

What on this planet has made Doug and co think giving Press play calling duties would be a good idea? Because he's done such a great job with Carson? Jeez.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCTANK said:

"ok guy’s, we have -9 yds on offense and we’re losing 17-0 at the half”.

And then claims he doesn't feel like he is in a rut with the play calling.  SMH

• Like 2

If the players can't do what's asked of them it doesn't matter who is asking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

The whole organization is just dysfunctional. I’ve never seen an organization where there’s so much collaboration and sharing of roles.The buck doesn’t stop with anyone. Howie hired Jim Schwartz- how many FO guys hire coordinators? Apparently Howie also has a say on final roster cuts and who’s inactive/active on game day. Then Howie collaborates with Joe Douglas and now Andy Weidl on the draft. The you have Doug sharing play calling with two different guys. What’s going on here? 

This organization needs to define everyone’s role from GM, to head coach to coordinators. They have too many chefs in the kitchen. I don’t mind having a team approach but the buck has to stop with someone. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

This is very true. 

It is very chicken and egg right now. Is it the play calling. Is it the players. Or is it the scheme. 

For me change the QB and see if anything changes. That's the quickest and simplest thing to change right now. The scheme is the scheme and that's not going to change until the off season. 

1 hour ago, Miami said:

Doug is trying to save his job but it may be too late now.

I think it probably is. Howie is a weasel so he will put the blame on doug. As a result Howie may survive but even if he doesn't then I don't see Doug surviving. I think it's Doug and Howie or just Doug. 

If Doug really gave Press the play calling in the 2nd half of the Hawks game then it proves even more Doug needs to go because he taught Press how to be a horrible play caller. He didnt teach him anything worth a dam.But when your calling plays off a horrible game plan/call sheet I guess you can only blame Press so much. 

On 12/4/2020 at 10:17 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is very true. 

It is very chicken and egg right now. Is it the play calling. Is it the players. Or is it the scheme. 

For me change the QB and see if anything changes. That's the quickest and simplest thing to change right now. The scheme is the scheme and that's not going to change until the off season. 

Unimaginative scheme that requires WRs to win one on one battles to get open, unimaginative play calling and dysfunctional run/pass ratios, lousy players due to Howie's totally inept drafting...and voila...a last place team