The optimistic mock (12-9-2020)

Infam

Let's take a hopeful outlook, and get this thing fixed. I don't know how the QB situation will go on, so for now I chose to ignore it in my draft.

TRADE: Zach Ertz + 2021 4th + 2022 3rd for a 2021 2nd.

1- Penei Sewell (LT): I know, common wisdom is that the Bengals go for him. I don't think it is as set in stone as people think. I even still think Dillard will play a role for us moving forward - but he may well be the heir at RT now. With Sewell at LT, Johnson at RT and Mailata + Dillard to back up, the line looks scary on the outside all of a sudden.

In the passing game, he has outstanding initial quickness in his set and defenders are not going to beat him off the ball. He displays excellent foot quickness to protect both edges and has the ability to recover with his feet and technique. Aggressive in his set and looks to initiate contact in pass pro. Will miss his punch at times, allowing defenders to win using counters or strong arm to get him off balance. Sewell has outstanding lateral movement skills and can mirror against speed rushers and can easily handle inside counters. Sewell can recover late versus most power, but will occasionally give ground to stronger power rushers.

Overall, Sewell’s blend of rare athleticism, size, and length make him an easy projection at the next level and will be a franchise left tackle from day one.

Source: Does Penei Sewell Have to Move to Guard in the NFL? | The Draft Network

2-Creed Humphrey (C): I believe Kelce has one more year in him, so it's just the right time to get Humphrey. He can sit and learn from one of the best, before taking over in 2022. He has some flexibility to play at guard, too. But he would certainly be the Center of the future, and be great at it.

Humphrey’s leadership and smarts are seen on multiple occasions as he’s the one responsible for pointing out MIKE (middle) LBs, which is usually the starting point in various protections. He’s frequently seen communicating up-and-down the line to others, pointing them in proper directions. A credit to his leadership, the Sooners lost four offensive lineman and there wasn’t a significant drop off despite their youth. More of a stick, move, and position type. While performing this type of blocking, Humphrey has the ability to latch and turn the body of blockers. Back blocks on nose tackles are secure and pressure-free. Humphrey’s prior time as a wrestler is used to his advantage as he has a very high amount of awareness of blocking angles and where exactly on each defenders body to attack in order to sustain.

Source: Creed Humphrey IOL Oklahoma - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network

2-Pat Freiermuth (TE): With Ertz gone, and with how much we love to play 2 TEs, Rodgers ain't gonna cut it. Enter Freiermuth, a TE  that can block and run routes, just how the Eagles like it. He should've been a first round pick, but with him having season ending injury and abysmal QB play not only has Pitts probably taken the TE1 from him, I can see him slide to an early second.

Freiermuth was able to showcase superior route-running and the ability to consistently get open. After the catch, he played with an attitude, running defenders over and moving the chains for the Penn State offense. His reliable hands were fully on display as well, as he flashed the ability to make tough contested catches throughout the game. The Penn State offense also exploded for 245 rushing yards, and Freiermuth’s exceptional blocking was key to their success on the ground.

Source: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

3-Israel Mukuamu (CB): The offense is getting all the attention here, but we do give Schwarz something he really wanted and never got: A CB with size (6"4') that actually can play. Also Schwarz does love CBs that can play safety so he can move him around.

Mukuamu is position versatile. He’s played both safety and corner in his playing days. He plays with the physicality you want in an outside CB and has good instincts with the ability to click and close, which is useful if he plays safety. He’s big and long and uses his size very well. He gets a quick jab at the line of scrimmage, and it’s really powerful. He can disrupt the timing of routes right at the line and re-route a receiver with his strength and length.

Allowing him to be instinctive is going to be when he’s at his best. He’s a reliable tackler with a tremendous tackle radius. It’s hard to get past his tackles with his length and size. He’s aggressive and physical.

Source: Scouting Report: Israel Mukuamu - The Dynasty Draft Room

So, we created a monster O-line and added a TE and CB that fit us perfectly. Despite Surtain being my favorite draft target, I feel like if the chips fall this way - we have to take the opportunities. It's not all about needs, either. I tried to pick the kind of players that have the traits the Eagles usually love and have looked for.

So we spend our first 2 picks on OL (1 of which we are sitting year 1) and then we go TE? So no WR upgrades. No real premium picks on defense? 

The problem this team has is that it has so many freaking issues. It's hard to know which way to go. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So we spend our first 2 picks on OL (1 of which we are sitting year 1) and then we go TE? So no WR upgrades. No real premium picks on defense? 

The problem this team has is that it has so many freaking issues. It's hard to know which way to go. 

Yes, I think having two absolute premium picks for the O-line is the way to go. And if Ertz would be gone, we do need a second TE, and Freiermuth is a total stud.

Just now, Infam said:

Yes, I think having two absolute premium picks for the O-line is the way to go. And if Ertz would be gone, we do need a second TE, and Freiermuth is a total stud.

I mean it's hard to completely argue against that because this OL is a mess right now. I'm not sure they need to spend a second on a TE though. Goedert is a stud, you don't need two studs at TE.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean it's hard to completely argue against that because this OL is a mess right now. I'm not sure they need to spend a second on a TE though. Goedert is a stud, you don't need two studs at TE.

I think we do. And I for one would pick a stud TE over a mediocre WR any day. Especially one that can block..

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think we do. And I for one would pick a stud TE over a mediocre WR any day. Especially one that can block..

I don't think our 2 TE set hae been that great. I don't think we need 2 studs but hey we can agree to disagree on this one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think our 2 TE set hae been that great. I don't think we need 2 studs but hey we can agree to disagree on this one. 

Just watch him play. A second rounder would be well worth it, no doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Just watch him play. A second rounder would be well worth it, no doubt in my mind. 

Is he the next George Kittle? 😉

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is he the next George Kittle? 😉

Well he does have the nickname "baby-gronk".. :whistle:

• Like 1

You call this an optimistic draft?!

100 % agree we need OL help but to use your first two picks on it is a bit too much IMO. We have more holes to fill, you know?!

You’re right that the Bengals taking Sewell isn’t set in stone but it’s the most plausible scenario. Realistically the BPA’s in that 4th to 6th range are Parsons, Surtain and Chase.

One of those three, a QB like Wilson or a trade down is the likeliest outcome IMO.

13 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You call this an optimistic draft?!

100 % agree we need OL help but to use your first two picks on it is a bit too much IMO. We have more holes to fill, you know?!

You’re right that the Bengals taking Sewell isn’t set in stone but it’s the most plausible scenario. Realistically the BPA’s in that 4th to 6th range are Parsons, Surtain and Chase.

One of those three, a QB like Wilson or a trade down is the likeliest outcome IMO.

Well in a way you do explain yourself how this is an optimistic draft. Freiermuth might still end up a first rounder too... so...

And I disagree with the sentiment that we need to fill other holes more. Building an OLine for the future has to be our top priority. But hey, to each his own opinion I guess.

8 hours ago, Infam said:

Well in a way you do explain yourself how this is an optimistic draft. Freiermuth might still end up a first rounder too... so...

And I disagree with the sentiment that we need to fill other holes more. Building an OLine for the future has to be our top priority. But hey, to each his own opinion I guess.

There’s literally no offensive linemen worthy of a top 10 pick other than Sewell. So what will you do if he’s off the board? 

A very likely scenario you have to take into account when making a mock IMO.

And that’s my "problem” with this mock. Really like the players you took and agreed addressing the OL should be a top priority but we have to be realistic here; Sewell falling into our lap in april is a pipe dream. Very curious what your alternative is. Surtain might be gone too if we pick at 6 but is more likely to be there than Sewell IMO.

Btw; personally I’m not that worried about the OL. I like what I’m seeing from Mailata, Driscoll and to a lesser degree from Herbig. We might have something there but still need to add IMO.

Just watch this evaluation of Mailata;

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

you have to take into account when making a mock IMO.

And that’s my "problem” with this mock. Really like the players you took and agreed addressing the OL should be a top priority but we have to be realistic here; Sewell falling into our lap in april is a pipe dream.

Man, you are doing dozens of mocks every year and I don't remember you getting a pick right.. ever. Come to think of it, usually all your guys get taken way later than where your "realistic" mocks would have them. So maybe stop lecturing me about "realism", when you are actually way more off than me. It's starting to annoy me.

That said, if Sewell was indeed gone I would pick Surtain, no questions asked.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Man, you are doing dozens of mocks every year and I don't remember you getting a pick right.. ever. Come to think of it, usually all your guys get taken way later than where your "realistic" mocks would have them. So maybe stop lecturing me about "realism", when you are actually way more off than me. It's starting to annoy me.

That said, if Sewell was indeed gone I would pick Surtain, no questions asked.

Wow! What a reaction while I’m just trying to help. Nothing but love for you but hey, clearly it’s not mutual.

For what it’s worth; I believe I’ve become good at projecting where prospects will likely get taken but I can’t help it Howie passes on a lot of guys I’d like them to get.

Didn’t I create the Jefferson topic last year months before the combine and projected him to the Eagles multiple times? You were the one wanting them to take Reagor. Still think that was the right decision?! Look I like Reagor but still think it was a reach and they passed on a way better prospect for a specific skill set.

It’s clear you got a beef with me so I’m not getting in your way anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Wow! What a reaction while I’m just trying to help. Nothing but love for you but hey, clearly it’s not mutual.

It's just annoying me that every year I have to do this dance. Unlike you I don't even claim to have the most realistic mock ever. But I have indeed had it getting told to not be realistic enough from you every time.

For what it’s worth; I believe I’ve become good at projecting where prospects will likely get taken but I can’t help it Howie passes on a lot of guys I’d like them to get.

Nah, the way I see it your mocks are just full of reaches. Looks to me like you pick everyone way too high, probably at least a full round for everyone outside the first. So no, I don't think you have become good predicting where prospects get taken at all.

Didn’t I create the Jefferson topic last year months before the combine and projected him to the Eagles multiple times? You were the one wanting them to take Reagor. Still think that was the right decision?! Look I like Reagor but still think it was a reach and they passed on a way better prospect for a specific skill set.

I didn't want Reagor where we picked, I had him in the second round. I would've been fine with him with a trade down. Still think Reagor is a good player, and still think he might even be better for us after all is said and done. Value-wise it was not a good pick where we picked him.

It’s clear you got a beef with me so I’m not getting in your way anymore. 

Just stop pestering me with your "realism" and all will be fine. 😄

15 minutes ago, Infam said:

It's just annoying me that every year I have to do this dance. Unlike you I don't even claim to have the most realistic mock ever. But I have indeed had it getting told to not be realistic enough from you every time.

Nah, the way I see it your mocks are just full of reaches. Looks to me like you pick everyone way too high, probably at least a full round for everyone outside the first. So no, I don't think you have become good predicting where prospects get taken at all.

I didn't want Reagor where we picked, I had him in the second round. I would've been fine with him with a trade down. Still think Reagor is a good player, and still think he might even be better for us after all is said and done. Value-wise it was not a good pick where we picked him.

Just stop pestering me with your "realism" and all will be fine. 😄

It’s become pretty clear you don’t like my work. Sorry to hear that.

I take a lot of pride into doing these mocks and projections and many times I’m just throwing names at the wall just to get to know these prospects. You clearly think I’m not good at it and maybe it’s better we stay out of each other’s way.

You telling me I’m off most of the time hurts and feels unreasonable. Everyone doing these mocks is off on multiple prospects beyond the first two rounds because it’s really hard to project them beyond the first 100 picks. 

As for your boy Surtain, before I declare him being a top 10 prospect I want to see his combine results. Farley just might be a better athlete and might overtake him as the best CB in the draft. We’ll see...

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You telling me I’m off most of the time hurts and feels unreasonable. Everyone doing these mocks is off on multiple prospects beyond the first two rounds because it’s really hard to project them beyond the first 100 picks. 

Yes sure. But only you feel entitled to run around and lecture about what is "realistic" and what isn't. And I think you reach pretty much beginning with round 2.

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

As for your boy Surtain, before I declare him being a top 10 prospect I want to see his combine results. Farley just might be a better athlete might overtake him as the best CB in the draft. We’ll see...

You just wrote he might be gone if we pick at 6.. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, Infam said:

Yes sure. But only you feel entitled to run around and lecture about what is "realistic" and what isn't. And I think you reach pretty much beginning with round 2.

You just wrote he might be gone if we pick at 6.. :whistle:

No, no, no, my friend! I’m open to critisism from everyone and take it to heart. One can only grow if one’s able to listen. Really think I haven’t gotten critisim around here or in my life? Think again, brother! All my life! And you know what? I became a better person because of it...

The only thing I said is that Sewell might be off the board. So I don’t understand why you take this so hard. I’m not the one bashing you remember.

As for Surtain. I have him as my No.1 CB at the moment and compare him to Marlon Humphrey who was taken by the Ravens with the 16th overall pick. The question is; is he worth a top 6 pick? Would Humphrey be in this draft? As for Farley; he has health concerns like Marshon Lattimore had but might have more upside because of his athletic profile.

But hey, you don’t value my opinion...

A mock is simply an exercise in different possibilities/situations, so by no means take what I say as criticism. I am simply exploring your thought process. 

Any left tackle with a first overall pick, let alone a potential Top 10 pick. Jordan Mailata is starting his first full year of football right now, and he's in the NFL. I say that because, if you repeat it to yourself everyday like I do, that's an insane concept. He has the same game experience that I had at 15 years old right now. 

Let's pretend he's Andre Dillard and was a late 1st rounder. He has outplayed Andre. He has some dog in him. Andre on the other hand ... can't say the same. Then again we realize, this kid is playing his first season of football EVER and it's against the best players in the world. 

I say this because I don't think you have made a stupid pick or taken a bad player, but believe that at such a young age, the Eagles may have the answer for the next 5+ years in Jordan. Also, as you've pointed out, Dillard is on the roster still. 

Just a thought process for you. Maybe you've gone through that before. With the pick you make though, you have put three LT only on your roster. One has to go. 

I'd much rather use that very valuable resource elsewhere. 

On 12/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, stinkfist said:

A mock is simply an exercise in different possibilities/situations, so by no means take what I say as criticism. I am simply exploring your thought process. 

Any left tackle with a first overall pick, let alone a potential Top 10 pick. Jordan Mailata is starting his first full year of football right now, and he's in the NFL. I say that because, if you repeat it to yourself everyday like I do, that's an insane concept. He has the same game experience that I had at 15 years old right now. 

Let's pretend he's Andre Dillard and was a late 1st rounder. He has outplayed Andre. He has some dog in him. Andre on the other hand ... can't say the same. Then again we realize, this kid is playing his first season of football EVER and it's against the best players in the world. 

I say this because I don't think you have made a stupid pick or taken a bad player, but believe that at such a young age, the Eagles may have the answer for the next 5+ years in Jordan. Also, as you've pointed out, Dillard is on the roster still. 

Just a thought process for you. Maybe you've gone through that before. With the pick you make though, you have put three LT only on your roster. One has to go. 

I'd much rather use that very valuable resource elsewhere. 

I agree and did move on to Smith. But as to my thought process, one of these LT would have to be the right tackle. And I would think Mailata could do that, too. So the starters would eventually (post-Lane) be Sewell and Mailata, with Dillard and Driscoll backing up. That is pretty good. But yeah, maybe not as good as another weapon. Maybe.