The good, the bad and the ugly: week 14 vs. Saints

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

As always... A great read. 

Bet it was a challenge today! A really good team performance against a play off contender. A confident performance by the rookie QB. An exciting and enjoyable Eagles game to watch. 

But also a game that ultimately hurts this teams draft position. And a game that perhaps raises major questions about the future of this team... 

Does a little run convince Lurie to run it back with Howie and Doug? What does the future look like for Wentz? 

First one of the year.

Aside from the late fumble (which was a dumb play call, to risk your QB when it should have been a simple hand off) the kid made quick and smart decisions for almost the whole game.   The defense played with intensity and Doug ran the ball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weko said:

Yes he has to go.  Someone should give us a 4.  An early 4 can net a very good player.  A late 4 a reserve.  Huge difference there.  The draft usually has a huge fall off in talent every year somewhere in the early to mid 4th round.  Last year there were excellent WRs still available into the 5th.  Sure would be nice to get an early 4 for him

I don’t remember how many picks they have next year, but also possible they could package that 4th with another pick to move back up into the 3rd or something. The more mid-round picks the better, both for more chances to get a good players as well as for more ammo to trade up in other rounds if there’s a guy they want.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

First one of the year.

Aside from the late fumble (which was a dumb play call, to risk your QB when it should have been a simple hand off) the kid made quick and smart decisions for almost the whole game.   The defense played with intensity and Doug ran the ball. 

Yep agreed! That was a dumb play call (and unfortunately not the only one). For the most part it was a competent performance which is a real compliment I think.

Hurts wasn't even perfect. He played within his ability, he took what the game gave to him. He could use his legs to extend plays. When all else failed, he threw the ball away to live for the next play. He made good decisions and limited his mistakes. The entire team looked rejuvenated.

The only way the Eagles could beat the Saints was ball control and defense.  They did that. The running game was on point and the defense played lights out.... until they started falling apart late in the game. Luckily they already built up a lead they could lean on.

• Like 1

Always look forward to these write ups....phenomenal job as usual...my thoughts?

Howie has to go....

Elliot has to go...

Very sticky situation with Wentz....even the analysts are questioning what the Eagles are actually going to do with him.....

I think most of us here just wanted Hurts to not make any stupid mistakes. He exceeded those expectations and led the team to a win...excited to see more of him because...how do you go back to Wentz after seeing that performance?? Not saying he played great but he managed the game....which is what we wanted

I question Doug's mental capacity alot these days. HOW can you not use Sanders as the best weapon that you have???? He is criminally underused...

The playcalling still sucks....big time...

One thing I give to Chip....his sports science and smoothies prevented alot of injuries.....and there is just no other way around that...

• Like 2

For me, the most impressive factor was how well the entire team seemed to respond to good offensive play.  It changes the dynamics of the entire team.  When your offense sustains longer drives, it keeps their defense on the field longer, wearing them out...at the same time, keeps your defense fresh.  

The most impressive part of Jalen Hurts' performance is that he was able to consistently move the ball (whether with his legs, running the ball or threw the air), he did it against the top defense in the league, in his first ever NFL start as a rookie QB.  When your QB makes the right decisions, the entire offense looks better.  For example, the offensive line gave up a total of ZERO sacks for the first time all year. 

I also hope that this opens people's eyes in regards to Doug Pederson.  Jalen Hurts stated after the game that they "just ran the plays that have always been in there."  That statement shows that many of the issues that have been blamed on the play calling/play design have really been about execution of the plays, not the design or the play call itself.

Overall, it was refreshing to see the team come together for a win against one of the top teams in the NFL.  Job well done all around. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYEagle said:

You forgot under the Ugly.....F'ing up their high draft pick for nothing

:facepalm:

It's "amazing" how, all of a sudden, the offensive line played better, the defense played better, the playcalling changed and the eagles looked like a good team.  

I'm rarely of the opinion that QBs should be benched, but I saw 6 games ago that something was really wrong with Wentz that he wasn't going to play out of......

QB play and confidence is 80% of a team's success, and we just saw how even average QB play can move and offense and how confidence can inspire a whole team.  This was only one game but one has to wonder where the eagles would be had this change come earlier in the season.  Pedersen may have cost the team a playoff berth.

The eagles has a very slim chance for the playoffs but it was good to finally see them play a good game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

It's "amazing" how, all of a sudden, the offensive line played better, the defense played better, the playcalling changed and the eagles looked like a good team.  

I'm rarely of the opinion that QBs should be benched, but I saw 6 games ago that something was really wrong with Wentz that he wasn't going to play out of......

QB play and confidence is 80% of a team's success, and we just saw how even average QB play can move and offense and how confidence can inspire a whole team.  This was only one game but one has to wonder where the eagles would be had this change come earlier in the season.  Pedersen may have cost the team a playoff berth.

The eagles has a very slim chance for the playoffs but it was good to finally see them play a good game.

Agreed. Carson should have been benched at least 4 or 5 games ago to see what Hurts could do....I even said it in another thread that even with AVERAGE QB play this team could do signficantly better but of course....that idea was scoffed at....

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I don’t remember how many picks they have next year, but also possible they could package that 4th with another pick to move back up into the 3rd or something. The more mid-round picks the better, both for more chances to get a good players as well as for more ammo to trade up in other rounds if there’s a guy they want.  

If i remember correctly they have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 5ths, 6th and 7ths

OTC Projects us to receive a 2 6th (Howard and darby) and 7th round comp picks (Kgh). Might have changed with the release of Jordan howard though. 

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Good write up.  One comment on PR.  Ward is back there to do one thing and that's catch the ball which he does.  Putting Reagor back there risks both injury and turnovers though of course he has an upside.  They don't really have anyone else that can to the job at this point. Reagor is the guy if you want to take more chances which they do when they feel the time is right.

They actually do in Watkins. He returned punts in college. Not overwhelming amount but he still did so in each of his three years in college. If he is active like he was today then he should be used back there at this point but I’m guessing they don’t trust him at this point.

You are at risk of injury playing football in general. As you saw with mcleod you can get hurt not really doing much except jumping and coming down wrong. part of the reason the eagles decided to take reagor in the first was not just cause he was a good WR but also cause he was an electric punt returner. That was part of his value. Yeah he could get hurt however desean Jackson when he was a rookie played significant snaps and did punt returns. Now that team got hot but like this team, it was underachieving for a good portion of the season until they benched mcnabb and then the following week he came in and they got hot. I much prefer to maximize reagor’s potential like they did with desean as a rookie. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk Doug has gone for it on fourth in places where Elliott has actually been money on the season. Elliot from 30-49 yards has been solid over the last two years. 23-25. This year Hes 10-10. His 50+ and inside 30 has been atrocious. He’s a combine 3-8 

I've said elsewhere here - we need 2 kickers. Jake 30 yds.+ and the girl kicker for less than 30 yards and extra points. And no I don't really expect the Eagles to do that. Why he misses on short kicks? I have no idea.

48 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They actually do in Watkins. He returned punts in college. Not overwhelming amount but he still did so in each of his three years in college. If he is active like he was today then he should be used back there at this point but I’m guessing they don’t trust him at this point.

You are at risk of injury playing football in general. As you saw with mcleod you can get hurt not really doing much except jumping and coming down wrong. part of the reason the eagles decided to take reagor in the first was not just cause he was a good WR but also cause he was an electric punt returner. That was part of his value. Yeah he could get hurt however desean Jackson when he was a rookie played significant snaps and did punt returns. Now that team got hot but like this team, it was underachieving for a good portion of the season until they benched mcnabb and then the following week he came in and they got hot. I much prefer to maximize reagor’s potential like they did with desean as a rookie. 

Well whether injury is a legitimate worry or not it's been something that's been done in the NFL forever.

As for Watkins, yeah he might be an option but they need to make him active as you say and then get comfortable.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

I also hope that this opens people's eyes in regards to Doug Pederson.  Jalen Hurts stated after the game that they "just ran the plays that have always been in there."  That statement shows that many of the issues that have been blamed on the play calling/play design have really been about execution of the plays, not the design or the play call itself.

I need to take a closer look. A lot of the plays looked the same. Some of it looked different. Is it because Hurts plays differently than Wentz? Did the coaches change some things, simplify the offense for the rookie, do things to take advantage of his unique skills? But yes, Hurts played better on Sunday than Wentz played most of this season. The entire team looked better.

It drives me bat-ish crazy every time I see Ward back there fielding punts. Is that really the best option? Is our judge of talent really that bad?

20 hours ago, Columbus Eagle said:

It drives me bat-ish crazy every time I see Ward back there fielding punts. Is that really the best option? Is our judge of talent really that bad?

I agree. He is sure handed but he can't get out of his own way.

22 hours ago, Columbus Eagle said:

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

I agree. He is sure handed but he can't get out of his own way.

Hes sure handed. If you aren’t wanting a potential big time return he’s the safest option. However he botches a lot of balls and allow them to go over his head when he should fair catch it. Frankly if they aren’t going to use reagor then use Watkins. He did it in college and has better agility and speed to Potentially give you a big play in that area which this team could use 

On 12/14/2020 at 9:13 AM, Ace Nova said:

For me, the most impressive factor was how well the entire team seemed to respond to good offensive play.  It changes the dynamics of the entire team.  When your offense sustains longer drives, it keeps their defense on the field longer, wearing them out...at the same time, keeps your defense fresh.  

The most impressive part of Jalen Hurts' performance is that he was able to consistently move the ball (whether with his legs, running the ball or threw the air), he did it against the top defense in the league, in his first ever NFL start as a rookie QB.  When your QB makes the right decisions, the entire offense looks better.  For example, the offensive line gave up a total of ZERO sacks for the first time all year. 

Overall, it was refreshing to see the team come together for a win against one of the top teams in the NFL.  Job well done all around. 

I don’t think the Hurtz game was the only sackless game. Ike Reese (the biggest Wentz apologists in America) was pounding his chest cause the line had a sackless game with his boy Carson. Not sure why he was sooo excited about that, but whatever. 

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hes sure handed. If you aren’t wanting a potential big time return he’s the safest option. However he botches a lot of balls and allow them to go over his head when he should fair catch it. Frankly if they aren’t going to use reagor then use Watkins. He did it in college and has better agility and speed to Potentially give you a big play in that area which this team could use 

That one ball that went over Ward’s head I was thinking if Reagor were back there he probably muffs that punt. He’s been sparingly used back there and he’s muffed it twice already.

29 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Hurtz game was the only sackless game. Ike Reese (the biggest Wentz apologists in America) was pounding his chest cause the line had a sackless game with his boy Carson. Not sure why he was sooo excited about that, but whatever. 

Ah, could be.  Any idea what game it was? 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Ah, could be.  Any idea what game it was? 

Nah I didn’t look to deep into it. My guess is one of the wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That one ball that went over Ward’s head I was thinking if Reagor were back there he probably muffs that punt. He’s been sparingly used back there and he’s muffed it twice already.

Possible. But the less you use of him in games and less he’s practicing it it makes more sense why he would have that type of issue where he has two muffs. In college he returned every week and he did it in practice. So he was probably routinely doing so. It likely became second nature to him. When you’re sparingly using him to do it, it’s not as easy to just one time every 6-7 times they’re letting him do it. I’m guessing the less you do it and less you practice it theres likely a drop off. I don’t care if you’re an average person or a superstar athlete  The more you do something repetitively the better you get at it and you stay sharper 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The Rams didn't sack us. 

Pretty commendable for the line. Must have been really focused on not letting Darnold beat us.

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Possible. But the less you use of him in games and less he’s practicing it it makes more sense why he would have that type of issue where he has two muffs. In college he returned every week and he did it in practice. So he was probably routinely doing so. It likely became second nature to him. When you’re sparingly using him to do it, it’s not as easy to just one time every 6-7 times they’re letting him do it. I’m guessing the less you do it and less you practice it theres likely a drop off. I don’t care if you’re an average person or a superstar athlete  The more you do something repetitively the better you get at it and you stay sharper 

It’s getting closer to crunch time and I do t think Doug wants to see too many mistakes. I’m sure he’s going to get Reagor in there, but his development has clearly been slowed due to a lack of a proper training camp and injuries. I don’t think Doug trusts him just yet.