‘He’s just a dog’: Eagles’ Josh Sweat using his ‘freakishly athletic’ talent to become a consistent pass-rush threat

Road to Victory

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/12/eagles-josh-sweats-dog-like-mentality-has-made-him-a-reliable-pass-rusher.html

‘He’s just a dog’: Eagles’ Josh Sweat using his ‘freakishly athletic’ talent to become a consistent pass-rush threat

By Chris Franklin | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham suddenly has some competition for who will lead the team in sacks this season.

Fellow defensive end Josh Sweat has turned himself into a reliable pass rusher for an Eagles defense that is second in the league in sacks (43), just two behind the league-leading Pittsburgh Steelers (45).

Sweat, a fourth-round pick in the 2018 draft, has six sacks this season, two of which came in last week’s game against the New Orleans Saints. Sweat now finds himself one sack behind Graham’s team-leading seven sacks and a half-sack behind defensive tackle Fletcher Cox.

Graham said Sweat’s determination and drive had led to the increase in his production on the field.

"He always had practiced hard, and he has done some good things,” Graham said. "He was showing flashes, but now he is putting things together as he continues through this season. Even more, I’ve seen how his confidence has grown, especially in practice, and it is showing up in the game. I think Josh Sweat has definitely worked his way up because he’s hungry.”

Buy Eagles gear for the holidays: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids

Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave has also seen growth in Sweat as the season has progressed. Both Sweat and Hargrave were able to provide consistent pressure on Saints quarterback Taysom Hill last Sunday. Hargrave said one reason Sweat has done well this season is a pass-rushing move Sweat saw from a current Chicago Bears defensive end

"He’s has what he likes to call is a little Robert Quinn,” Hargrave said. "He has his little Robert Quinn move. He has a crazy long arm. He’s just freakishly athletic, and he’s just a good player.”

Hargrave added that despite Sweat having the "Quinn move,” Sweat’s size and athleticism makes him a different type of player, one that is hard to compare.

"Josh is a funny, confident guy,” Hargrave said. "He’s just a dog. When his number is called, he always produces. He’s one of the better pass rushers that I’ve been around in this league, so I can’t really compare him to anybody. He’s just unique.”