Eagles Mock Draft (12-28-2020)

Ray75

Another week in the books, another offseason scenario.

No Wentz trade this time around but with Chase off the board at 6th overall, we do trade down.

GM Howie Roseman 

HC Doug Pederson

OC Ken Dorsey (Bills QB coach)

DC Demeco Ryans (Niners LB coach)

Yes, Howie’s still the GM but he won’t be making the selections on draft weekend. That one will be on Andy Weidl with John Dorsey here as an advisor.

Trades;

Zack Ertz to the Arizona Cardinals for a 4th in 2021.

Malik Jackson to the Las Vegas Raiders for a 6th in 2021.

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, NRC, Curry, Riley, Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld, Perkins, Clement

Keep;

Singleton, Johnston, Ridgeway, LeBlanc, Mills, Scott, Rodgers, Ward

Retire;

Jason Kelce and Jason Peters

Restructure/pay cut;

Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham

FA;

We’ll be quiet! We’ve nothing to spend! Maybe a role player here or there but nothing substantial.

Draft;

Trade alert!

Eagles trade out of the top 10 with the NE Patriots for a 1st and 2nd this year and a 2nd in 2022.

1) Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota;

Favorably compared to Michael Thomas by Daniel Jeremiah, Bateman has experience playing outside and in the slot. He uses a variety of releases to beat press coverage, is a very precise/clean route runner and very physical and aggressive after the catch. 

2) Asante Samuel Jr, CB, Florida State;

Although on the smaller side at a 5.10 ft Samuel Jr. is aggressive, super quick and has tremendous balance to make tackles. He plays under control and rarely misses on tackles and has limited mental errors.

2) Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami;

Phillips has been a dominant force for the Hurricane at defensive end, totaling 45 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one interception in ten games. 

3) Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse;

Although injury derailed his 2020 season, Cisco’s the most gifted ballhawk in all of college football, he’s a turnover machine at the safety position. He’s got great size at 6’0, 203 and pairs it with standout athleticism.

4) Alex Lindstrom, OC, Boston College;

Kelce’s heir...

5) Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin;

Back-up TE

5) Ambry Thomas, CB, Michigan;

CB depth

6) Sadarius Hutcherson, OG/OT, South Carolina;

Versatile O-lineman in the vein of BigV.

6) Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State;

Mauler at RB to give Sanders a breather.

6) Garret Wallow, LB, TCU;

LB depth

7) Mustafa Johnson, DT, Colorado;

D-line depth

• Like 2

Really like this draft! It addresses alot of key weaknesses, especially in revamping the secondary. Bateman doesn't get mentioned with the likes of Chase/Waddle/Smith, but he has the potential to be just as productive as them.

Starting to see Cisco mocked in the late 1st-2nd rd so I hope he's there in the 3rd. Also, can Samuel, Jr. play outside with his size or is he best suited to be a shutdown slot CB? I could see Thomas challenging for CB2. Really liked what I saw from him last year.

Good stuff man!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Really like this draft! It addresses alot of key weaknesses, especially in revamping the secondary. Bateman doesn't get mentioned with the likes of Chase/Waddle/Smith, but he has the potential to be just as productive as them.

Starting to see Cisco mocked in the late 1st-2nd rd so I hope he's there in the 3rd. Also, can Samuel, Jr. play outside with his size or is he best suited to be a shutdown slot CB? I could see Thomas challenging for CB2. Really liked what I saw from him last year.

Good stuff man!

Thanks!

For some reason Bateman doesn’t get attention he deserves. He’s like this years Justin Jefferson on that front; by most not viewed as a top 3 player at the position and therefor a bit underrated but likely a top 20-25 prospect nonetheless.

I see him as an Allen Robinson type of player and with Alshon probably leaving in FA, Fulgham a complete unknown and JJAW a major bust,  we could use a steady go to target for however’s under center next season.

• Like 2

Solid trade down scenario, the Patriots may very well covet one of these young QBs in the draft and we need to build around our current QB. I like the picks here and it's a pretty balanced approach. I know personally I've been warming up to the DB heavy approach lately and your mock trade puts the Eagles in an excellent position to do that also. You take Bateman in the 1st to help bolster the WR group and get us a starter at CB and S within the next three picks.

Personally I'd even consider getting another CB with some size in Round 2 in lieu of a DE in this trade down scenario, although Jaelan Philips is a good prospect at DE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Solid trade down scenario, the Patriots may very well covet one of these young QBs in the draft and we need to build around our current QB. I like the picks here and it's a pretty balanced approach. I know personally I've been warming up to the DB heavy approach lately and your mock trade puts the Eagles in an excellent position to do that also. You take Bateman in the 1st to help bolster the WR group and get us a starter at CB and S within the next three picks.

Personally I'd even consider getting another CB with some size in Round 2 in lieu of a DE in this trade down scenario, although Jaelan Philips is a good prospect at DE.

Bateman reminds me of Thomas, Robinson and Jefferson. A high volume receiver you can deploy all over the field. You know I prefer both Chase and Smith over him but I see it as a nice consolation price after a trade down into that 12-16 range if Chase is off the board and we don’t like our options at 4, 5 or 6.

My big board in that range would look something like this; 1) Chase; 2) Smith; 3) Surtain/Farley; 4) Parsons (pipedream); 5) Paye/Rousseau.

I do like your approach! Surtain would be awesome as long as we bring in a DC who let’s his corners play man. If it’s more of a zone scheme, Surtain would be a terrible fit IMO. That’s my biggest problem with Surtain; he’s a big athletic kid who’s strenghts are in man to man coverage, his biggest weaknesses lie in zone and keeping up when the ball is thrown deep. His 40 time will be very important.

If you want us to address the secondary in the first, you also have to keep an eye on Farley IMO. It wouldn’t surprise me if he knocks it outta the park at the combine and a lot of teams prefer him over Surtain come draft day. 

Thanks for the conversations we have around here. Really enjoy them! 👊🏻

I like the draft bud. Id like to see more done in the off season to clear out the FO but I think it is a very realistic off season given what we've heard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like the draft bud. Id like to see more done in the off season to clear out the FO but I think it is a very realistic off season given what we've heard. 

Thanks buddy! 

Just wanted some other prospects to get attention and show you what a trade back scenario could look like.

Of all the top receivers in the class, Bateman doesn’t get a lot of attention. He’s exactly the type of receiver we past on in april. A high volume go to guy, a QB’s best friend if utilized correctly. An Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas, Justin Jefferson hybrid.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Of all the top receivers in the class, Bateman doesn’t get a lot of attention. He’s exactly the type of receiver we past on in april. A high volume go to guy, a QB’s best friend if utilized correctly. An Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas, Justin Jefferson hybrid.

And hopefully that QB is Jalen Hurts.

😁

I like it man! Other than having the preference of a different wr I think you covered a lot of needs and helped us get a little better. A lot of people need to remember, we sucked this year. Now we are going to lose even more talent and load with rookies, we might suck even more next year. Only nitpick I really have is taking a back up te in the 5th. Theres a lot of "coming off injury" players to take fliers on and positions we need depth at more than TE. Id rather use that on more CB or DT depth to give us wiggle room to move on from guys next year. But like I said that nit picking.

Thanks for the read!

• Like 1

Nice  - thanks for this. It's great food for though.

Here's a couple of questions and a couple of random thoughts to cook with.

Personally I hope Doug and the gang of 4 offensive minds go. Duce would be a candidate for the HC but if he's not the choice then make him the OC. The only other coach I'd retain is Stoutland. Not sure how the 2020 draft will work out so the jury's still out on Weidl, but having Dorsey in the fold absolutely works for me. 

Do you really think they can retain Barnett with the cap situation they are in? He'll be on the books for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M so I don't .

I think putting Kelce in the retire column is a worst case scenario so at this point I'd move all of those positional needs up one. 

Don't think we need the Big V replacement - we're strong at tackle with Johnson, Mailata/Dillard, and Driscoll and good at guard with Seumalo, Brooks, and Herbig so I'd move LB up a bit.

Here's my thoughts - this needs to primarily be a defensive draft - I agree that CB, WR, and DE need to be the first 3 picks. 3 and 4 would by S and LB. I'm with you on a TE and CB in the 5th. 

I think we probably get 2 comp picks - one in the 6th and one in the 7th. That would be another pick - 3 in the 6thand 2 in the 7th. So the 6th would be RB, QB, LB. and the 7th would be S, DT

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Nice  - thanks for this. It's great food for though.

Here's a couple of questions and a couple of random thoughts to cook with.

Personally I hope Doug and the gang of 4 offensive minds go. Duce would be a candidate for the HC but if he's not the choice then make him the OC. The only other coach I'd retain is Stoutland. Not sure how the 2020 draft will work out so the jury's still out on Weidl, but having Dorsey in the fold absolutely works for me. 

Do you really think they can retain Barnett with the cap situation they are in? He'll be on the books for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M so I don't .

I think putting Kelce in the retire column is a worst case scenario so at this point I'd move all of those positional needs up one. 

Don't think we need the Big V replacement - we're strong at tackle with Johnson, Mailata/Dillard, and Driscoll and good at guard with Seumalo, Brooks, and Herbig so I'd move LB up a bit.

Here's my thoughts - this needs to primarily be a defensive draft - I agree that CB, WR, and DE need to be the first 3 picks. 3 and 4 would by S and LB. I'm with you on a TE and CB in the 5th. 

I think we probably get 2 comp picks - one in the 6th and one in the 7th. That would be another pick - 3 in the 6thand 2 in the 7th. So the 6th would be RB, QB, LB. and the 7th would be S, DT

Thx brother!

Counter argument;

1) I don’t think in taking a specific position in each round. Need has to meet value and I take the depth of the class into consideration;

2) we totally disagree about the status of our O-line. LJ is past 30 and dealing with an ankle injury that might be so bad that he’ll never be able to fully recover. Brooks is 32 and has been out with a serious injury two years in a row. The end of both their careers is nearing if they won’t be able to return to form or re-injure themselves. Plus Kelce could retire anytime now. Just can’t 100 % lean on those guys because of health concerns in combination with age and possible retirement plans;

3) I don’t see the need to draft another QB with CW, Hurts and likely a cheap veteran battling it out in camp.