Divvying Up Blame for the Eagles Horrendous 2020 Season

jsdarkstar

Who is to blame?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you blame for the Teams Failure?

• Howie Roseman
    • Doug Pederson
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Carson Wentz
    • Jeffrey Lurie
    • All of the Above

20 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

I agree it's a collective failure. I believe Carson can turn it around once he has an improved O Line and WR's that can get open. I believe that having over 13 different line combos this season plays a large part in the problems with Wentz. 

Wentz has had terrible mechanics since his rookie year. They were a bit better in 2017, but even during that season he had plenty of throws he was sailing due to poor footwork. I don’t know why we are acting like THIS season is the only time his issues have shown. 

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Wentz has had terrible mechanics since his rookie year. They were a bit better in 2017, but even during that season he had plenty of throws he was sailing due to poor footwork. I don’t know why we are acting like THIS season is the only time his issues have shown. 

Yes, he has other issues as well as a bad o line that need to be fixed. 

Lurie typically gives a coach 2 losing season before pulling the plug.

Doug is officially on the hotseat.

If we get a repeat in 21, he won't last the season, just like Kelly didn't.

• Like 1

Coaching is the biggest reason.......from game planning to situational play calls, not using the talent to it's best abilities, not playing the young players enough, not developing the young talent.....this ALL falls on Pedersen.

Next is injuries......idiot media and philly fans like to dismiss this as an excuse......but no team can sustain this many injuries to starters and not have a big dropoff......if injuries don't matter, then neither does talent.  Backups simply aren't as good as starters the vast majority of the time.

Wentz........if he played AVERAGE, they may have made the playoffs.  But something is wrong with this guy......something they aren't saying....nobody has that kind of drop off without a major problem.

Schwart.......not enough talent at LB or S and way too many injuries........done a good job with what he's got to work with.....

Roseman.......does it really matter who he drafts if they aren't being developed?  Once drafted, and all of the eagles draft picks have been picked in the range they were expected to go.  So why aren't they getting more out of them......again, that's a coaching issue.

Lurie.......best owner the eagles ever had and wants to win........no problems at all with Lurie

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

Well next year is a rebuilding year, so I don't see how he can improve much. Maybe from an easier schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Coaching is the biggest reason.......from game planning to situational play calls, not using the talent to it's best abilities, not playing the young players enough, not developing the young talent.....this ALL falls on Pedersen.

Next is injuries......idiot media and philly fans like to dismiss this as an excuse......but no team can sustain this many injuries to starters and not have a big dropoff......if injuries don't matter, then neither does talent.  Backups simply aren't as good as starters the vast majority of the time.

Wentz........if he played AVERAGE, they may have made the playoffs.  But something is wrong with this guy......something they aren't saying....nobody has that kind of drop off without a major problem.

Schwart.......not enough talent at LB or S and way too many injuries........done a good job with what he's got to work with.....

Roseman.......does it really matter who he drafts if they aren't being developed?  Once drafted, and all of the eagles draft picks have been picked in the range they were expected to go.  So why aren't they getting more out of them......again, that's a coaching issue.

Lurie.......best owner the eagles ever had and wants to win........no problems at all with Lurie

Wentz is the most sacked QB in the NFL. That's because he had to endure 13 line combos this season. That would take a toll on any QB who is hit and sacked that much. I believe he is shell shocked because of it.

I like blaming Howie. :D

But it's EVERTHING. The injuries, the Coaching, the play calling, the execution, the non development of some of the younger players, Carson's past injuries & mechanics, the drafting and FA signings, who they let go and who they extend, UGH. Put it all together and you get a football season like they just had.  Looking back, I am surprised they won 4 friggin games. 

All of the above was the correct response. That said, it was 70% Howie.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 11:31 AM, Madriver said:

Kelly didn't last the season because he ROYALLY pissed off Lurie by making those public comments about not having final say over personnel late in that season when it was going down the toilet after earlier that offseason engaging in (and winning) a power struggle to have full control over the roster.  Have to think Lurie has a lot more respect for Doug (even if the upcoming season goes down the toilet) simply because he isn't that smug, snarky POS Kelly was, doesn't have that ego that Kelly had, and led us to a long overdue championship.  

• Like 1

I think there's a real mess brewing in Philly I have to be honest. 

No young up and coming offensive coach is going to come to Philly. They didn't want to last year and this current situation is worse. The offensive weapons as things stand are worse, Doug is potentially on a short rope so he could be gone after 2021 and there's an issue at QB. What young up and coming coach is going to want to join this team?

Meanwhile Howie is still GM and seemingly making personnel decisions. 

I think next year is likely to be as bad if not worse than this year. The roster is arguably going to be in a worse state and there's no major changes to the HC and GM and also perhaps at QB.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Kelly didn't last the season because he ROYALLY pissed off Lurie by making those public comments about not having final say over personnel late in that season when it was going down the toilet after earlier that offseason engaging in (and winning) a power struggle to have full control over the roster.  Have to think Lurie has a lot more respect for Doug (even if the upcoming season goes down the toilet) simply because he isn't that smug, snarky POS Kelly was, doesn't have that ego that Kelly had, and led us to a long overdue championship.  

As I recall Chippah wasn't all that popular in the locker room either. Doug doesn't seem to have that problem.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

As I recall Chippah wasn't all that popular in the locker room either. Doug doesn't seem to have that problem.

Yes, that too no doubt.  But I think the comments about not having control over the roster is what sent Lurie into a tizzy and why he canned him before the season was over (rather than letting him coach out that last game against NY).  

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think there's a real mess brewing in Philly I have to be honest. 

No young up and coming offensive coach is going to come to Philly. They didn't want to last year and this current situation is worse. The offensive weapons as things stand are worse, Doug is potentially on a short rope so he could be gone after 2021 and there's an issue at QB. What young up and coming coach is going to want to join this team?

Meanwhile Howie is still GM and seemingly making personnel decisions. 

I think next year is likely to be as bad if not worse than this year. The roster is arguably going to be in a worse state and there's no major changes to the HC and GM and also perhaps at QB.

Yes and no.

I could definitely see someone wanting the DC job because this defense is really just a few players away, and we now have the draft ammo to get a second lockdown corner as well as other pieces.

Offense...I can kinda see your point, but Philly's reputation is not quite as toilet -worthy as say the Jets' situation. However, I too see 21 as another down year before a real, serious housecleaning, including demoting or firing Howie.

7 hours ago, Madriver said:

I could definitely see someone wanting the DC job because this defense is really just a few players away, and we now have the draft ammo to get a second lockdown corner as well as other pieces.

Sorry what now? This defense is just a few players away? What from being the worst defense in the league?

They have 1 elite player on defense in Cox. The best players on defense are the wrong side of 30. They have a terrible secondary and the GM isn't good at drafting. This is not an enticing job right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Sorry what now? This defense is just a few players away? What from being the worst defense in the league?

They have 1 elite player on defense in Cox. The best players on defense are the wrong side of 30. They have a terrible secondary and the GM isn't good at drafting. This is not an enticing job right now.

Definitely misplaced optimisms. We have major holes in the Secondary and Linebacker. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Definitely misplaced optimisms. We have major holes in the Secondary and Linebacker. 

We have major holes in the secondary and linebacker. We have, as of right now, question marks at DE and we are likely to cut Malik so we need bodies at DT. This defense is a pretty bad defense in terms of talent.