Doug Pederson on whether he wants more say in the Eagles 'players evaluation' process

Road to Victory

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/29/doug-pederson-eagles-player-evaluation-process-more-say/

Doug Pederson on whether he wants more say in the Eagles 'players evaluation' process

Glenn Erby 

December 29, 2020 7:30 am

Doug Pederson believes he’s a pretty good head coach and if he survives the ‘Black Monday’ process next week, the Eagles head coach could look for more say in personnel matters.

During his Monday zoom meeting, Pederson was asked by Associate Press reporter Rob Maaddi about the possibility of having more input in personnel matters going forward.

Pederson’s answer was interesting.

"That’s one of the things — you get into this business, especially as a head coach, and you do it because you love being around the players and you want to teach football.”

"I want to be a part of the solution. I want to be a part of the evaluation process. I want to be a voice that’s heard, and I want to have that collaborative communication with [Executive Vice President/General Manager] Howie [Roseman] and his staff and be a part of that process.”

"I don’t necessarily want to cross that line because it takes you away from doing your job as the head football coach. I like being on the football side of things as a former football player and obviously now a coach. That’s where my passion lies.”

"But yet, I want to be part of the solution. I want to help evaluate and help bring guys in here that can help us win.”

It was a normal Pederson answer and a shrewd one consider Roseman will be a part of the evaluation process a week from now.

Pederson’s looking to survive and making a public play on Roseman’s front-office power isn’t conducive to retaining his job.

Pederson is a football guy and his extra eye could be a positive for an Eagles front office that is staring at Justin Jefferson being one of the NFL’s elite wide receivers in year-1 with the Vikings.

Jalen Reagor’s still looking for his breakout game.

If both Howie and Doug are retained as expected, I'd be down with the latter getting some say in the evaluation process (it can't get much worse, so the potential to help is real).  If that does happen and they continue to swing and miss on draft picks and the team continues on it's current 3 year downward trajectory, then perhaps both will be shown the door together at some point in the near future.  

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

If both Howie and Doug are retained as expected, I'd be down with the latter getting some say in the evaluation process (it can't get much worse, so the potential to help is real).  If it happens and they continue to swing and miss on draft picks and the team continues on it's current 3 year downward trajectory, then perhaps both will be shown the door together at some point in the near future.  

In Reagor's defense, he had no QB lol. Hard to break out when noone can hit you. JJ was my pick also,but still...........

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

That's pretty obvious coach speak for..."Howie  picked these horrible players, please don't blame me."

Wonder who helped him author those comments?  

On 12/30/2020 at 7:29 PM, eagle45 said:

That's pretty obvious coach speak for..."Howie  picked these horrible players, please don't blame me."

Exactly

Does it really matter what Doug wants? 

He was hired to be a "yes" man. So just shut up and do what your told until the FO kicks your butt to the curb. Which might be in a few days :)

19 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Does it really matter what Doug wants? 

He was hired to be a "yes" man. So just shut up and do what your told until the FO kicks your butt to the curb. Which might be in a few days 🙂

But if you're Doug you've got to be frustrated with this situation? You come in (maybe as a yes man) and you win a SB and yet you have less power and influence (it seems) than a lot of rookie HCs around the league?

Oh and to add to that you have a GM who can't draft for ish who's literally hurting your career as a HC with his roster building. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if you're Doug you've got to be frustrated with this situation? You come in (maybe as a yes man) and you win a SB and yet you have less power and influence (it seems) than a lot of rookie HCs around the league?

Oh and to add to that you have a GM who can't draft for ish who's literally hurting your career as a HC with his roster building. 

Im sure he is frustrated. I know it sounds crazy but his coaching this year and simple mistake and dumb choices does almost look like he does want to get fired. I doubt it really is the case but one can think that with some of the most random dumb choices over and over again this year. Plus his how his interviews looked. it would make sense for Doug. Get fired, get paid, move onto another team to get more say. 

Doug really from day one has had no say. He didnt hire any of his coaching staff. In 2017 when Doug gave up game planning, scripting, etc, was it really Doug's call? We have no clue if it was forced or not. Thats the crazy part, we have no clue what is going on behind closed doors. 

To me though, it looks like the Doug and FO relationship is just getting Ugly and see no way to repair it. Even with a new GM. Cause we have to be honest, Howie is not getting fired. Maybe he steps away from the GM role, but hes still a high executive in the building. 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, GreenbleedinNC said:

In Reagor's defense, he had no QB lol. Hard to break out when noone can hit you. JJ was my pick also,but still...........

This goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond just Reagor ... 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:26 PM, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well part of that is Reagors fault as well. I never wanted Reagor. His knock was his poor route running skills and avg hands at best. We saw that from week 1 vs the Redskins when Carson's first pick was from Reagor not cutting in and instead took his comeback route and drifted up creating a easy lane for the DB to jump the ball. Saw again against Dallas when Carson rolled out and threw a pass to the corner of the endzone. Reagor had a step on his man and slowed down thinking the play was over and led to a pick. If he kept going that could have been a TD. 

Im not saying Carson has been great and everything falls on the receivers this year. There is a ton of blame to go around from every aspect of this team, including Carson. But Reagors play hasnt really helped the QBs either. Part of that is Reagor, part is the scheme/play calling as well. Hes not a rec that will create separation with his route tree but Doug keeps putting him in those situations. Either way the Kid has a TON of work to do to be a avg productive rec in this league still. Lets hope they can get the right coaching staff in here to make this kid a success story. 

Pederson should concentrate more on player development because he sucks at it......and it won't matter who they draft if they don't develop them....

Doug should go out and find himself a REAL EFEN OC since he’s all fired up about being a part of the solution.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NCTANK said:

Doug should go out and find himself a REAL EFEN OC since he’s all fired up about being a part of the solution.

Oh absolutely. To me that has to be part of the agreement for Doug to come back. That he needs to bring in a legit OC and if play calling starts slowly at the beginning of next year then he needs to hand over responsibility. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely. To me that has to be part of the agreement for Doug to come back. That he needs to bring in a legit OC and if play calling starts slowly at the beginning of next year then he needs to hand over responsibility. 

It seems no agreement is needed, that is has already been determined that he'll be back.  I can see them using the injuries and shortened offseason due to the pandemic as reasons why the offense didn't function as well as they believed it would have, why the new concepts being designed by the new offensive coaching structure were not implemented properly.  I think the idea of hiring a new OC is about as unlikely as bringing in a new GM at this point.  I can only guess Lurie will give both Howie (in his current capacity as talent evaluator) and Doug (as the primary figure that oversees the offense, not just HC) another year (maybe two) to right the ship.  Further guessing it will take another season (or two) of the same as 2020 before he will consider major changes.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

It seems no agreement is needed, that is has already been determined that he'll be back.  I can see them using the injuries and shortened offseason due to the pandemic as reasons why the offense didn't function as well as they believed it would have, why the new concepts being designed by the new offensive coaching structure were not implemented properly.  I think the idea of hiring a new OC is about as unlikely as bringing in a new GM at this point.  I can only guess Lurie will give both Howie (in his current capacity as talent evaluator) and Doug (as the primary figure that oversees the offense, not just HC) another year (maybe two) to right the ship.  Further guessing it will take another season (or two) of the same as 2020 before he will consider major changes.  

I mean I'm sure you're right and I find that just completely baffling and outrageous if I'm being honest with you. What the F is Lurie thinking and doing? This team has been on the decline for 3 years now. This year didn't come as a massive surprise to a lot of us sadly. 

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I'm sure you're right and I find that just completely baffling and outrageous if I'm being honest with you. What the F is Lurie thinking and doing? This team has been on the decline for 3 years now. This year didn't come as a massive surprise to a lot of us sadly. 

He can either see this team was on that decline the past 2 seasons with below average records mid season or he can see a team going on a late season surge to back their way into the playoffs.  I guess he chooses the latter.  Unfortunately.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

He can either see this team was on that decline the past 2 seasons with below average records mid season or he can see a team going on a late season surge to back their way into the playoffs.  I guess he chooses the latter.  Unfortunately.  

Unfortunately so. How crazy and ridiculous is that. 

• Like 1

If the "war room" remains at Nova Care in South Philadelphia, then during the draft, I want Howie on top of Mt. Everest with a couple of drunken and amorous Sherpas and no WiFi hotspot or Satellite phone.

THEN they might not blow that #6 pick and actually draft an elite for 12 years type of player. You know the kind...the kind other teams draft but the Eagles don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1